homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Just Wars? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Just Wars?
Llareggub
Shipmate
# 10210

- Posted      Profile for Llareggub   Email Llareggub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB
quote:

The "Just War" doctrine deals basically with the time prior to the war.

Precisely. There is no way a an unjust war can be justified either by the way in which it is conducted or its outcomes

Surely the only justification for war can be on the basis of self defence, either individual or collective. It is this notion of collective self defence which we are invoking in justifying WW2. But there are strict limitations on the right of self defence – the conditions of ‘necessity’, ‘immediacy’ and ‘responsibility’. It cannot justify war and the killing involved in war if other methods of defending individual lives are available.

On this basis it is only military action designed to avert an immediate threat that can be justified. The fact that people’s right to life has been violated in the past, or that it might be in the future, is not sufficient justification. Secondly, and most importantly of all, the only people who may justifiably be killed are those who are violating others right to life. There can be no justification for killing innocent civilians. Ironically, the Allied intervention in Kuwait and the refusal to carry the war into Baghdad might fit

--------------------
I intend to live forever - so far so good.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

- Posted      Profile for Teapot     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Littlelady:
quote:
Originally posted by Teapot:
When you fight evil with evil, what do you end up with regardless of who wins?

I'm confused again. Are you implying the allied countries all had evil governments, evil people or were just evil per se?

Or is this about the EU too? [Biased]

I'm saying that each side was a long way from being loving in its values, as can be seen in the values they showed at the time as well as the world that has been built on the values of the victors.

Mdijon, recognising evil actions in service to evil values is not the same as condemning those who do the evil. [Smile] As we have discussed before, recognising a persons "perfection" is about realising that it is forgiveness that they deserve (as that brings people back into being aware of god's love) not condemnation (as that serves only hate). [Smile]

[ 04. January 2006, 10:30: Message edited by: Teapot ]

--------------------
No I am NOT short and stout! But I will be happy to accept one of each at a pub :)

Posts: 608 | From: In a shrubbery! | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm saying that each side was a long way from being loving in its values, as can be seen in the values they showed at the time as well as the world that has been built on the values of the victors.

Ok. But if that is the case then no-one can ever, under any circumstances, make any form of judgement upon another. That is, if the man next door is beating his partner to a pulp every night, because your own values will have flaws in them, you are not in a position to report that man to the police or intervene in any way whatsoever.

That may be an extreme example, but it does seem to me to be the logical track such a view would take. We would all be completely hogtied by such a relativist viewpoint.

As has already been said, the allies were not from perfect countries, were not perfect individuals, but when compared to what the Nazis were doing at the time - from conquering other countries to abusing swathes of the population - the allies were morally on firmer ground.

And I'd much rather have the Britain of today than a Britain under the Nazis, thanks very much! I've got freckles. They might have come after me next! [Paranoid]

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

- Posted      Profile for Teapot     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok. But if that is the case then no-one can ever, under any circumstances, make any form of judgement upon another. That is, if the man next door is beating his partner to a pulp every night, because your own values will have flaws in them, you are not in a position to report that man to the police or intervene in any way whatsoever.

That may be an extreme example, but it does seem to me to be the logical track such a view would take. We would all be completely hogtied by such a relativist viewpoint.

What makes you think it is relativist? It is possible to intervene without being a vessel to (lesser) evil by, in acting, not hating/condemning the sinner, but instead simply defending against the sin. [Smile]

quote:
As has already been said, the allies were not from perfect countries, were not perfect individuals, but when compared to what the Nazis were doing at the time - from conquering other countries to abusing swathes of the population - the allies were morally on firmer ground.

And I'd much rather have the Britain of today than a Britain under the Nazis, thanks very much! I've got freckles. They might have come after me next! [Paranoid]

“Lesser evils” are the way evils are snuck past our defences and frequently they grow into greater evils….. Our economic wealth is rooted in trading with sweatshop labour economies, few do anything at all against Guantanamo, our humour is increasingly based in sneering, and almost all dream of ever more riches/power/status, all whilst our govts wage wars for market expansion on the grounds that the “enemy” has WMD that our govts sold him in the first place....killing and maiming 100s of 1000s in the process.

Hitler was foolish, he tried to build tyranny on the principles of 1984 alone. The modern lot learned from his mistake and realise the place of “Brave New World” in there as well….

I realise that not everyone on here is Christian but I fail to see how the actions of the Allies in any way concords with realising the kingdom. [Smile]

--------------------
No I am NOT short and stout! But I will be happy to accept one of each at a pub :)

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

What makes you think it is relativist? It is possible to intervene without being a vessel to (lesser) evil by, in acting, not hating/condemning the sinner, but instead simply defending against the sin. [Smile]
Nah. I don't buy it. It is relativist because what is being measured is not if something is wrong but if something is less wrong than something else. That's relativism. Facism was, and still is, wrong. I don't get absolutist myself very often, but about facism I am an absolutist. It is wrong. It had to be challenged. And I am extremely glad it was. It is very likely that I wouldn't have had the freedom and opportunity I have now if it hadn't been.

quote:
“Lesser evils” are the way evils are snuck past our defences and frequently they grow into greater evils….. Our economic wealth is rooted in trading with sweatshop labour economies, few do anything at all against Guantanamo, our humour is increasingly based in sneering, and almost all dream of ever more riches/power/status, all whilst our govts wage wars for market expansion on the grounds that the “enemy” has WMD that our govts sold him in the first place....killing and maiming 100s of 1000s in the process.
But all this has nothing whatsoever to do with WW2, which is what we were discussing.

Surely discussion about such subjects as you raise here is a thread all in itself?

quote:
Hitler was foolish, he tried to build tyranny on the principles of 1984 alone. The modern lot learned from his mistake and realise the place of “Brave New World” in there as well….
Who are 'the modern lot'? Switzerland? Britain? Luxembourg? America? Lesotho?

quote:
I realise that not everyone on here is Christian but I fail to see how the actions of the Allies in any way concords with realising the kingdom. [Smile]
I'm not sure that WW2 was based on realising the kingdom of God. So far as I am aware, it was about freedom from tyranny.

--------------------

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teapot, what if you were one of the soldiers in the RPF in 1994 in Rwanda?

Would you have taken up arms to fight interhamwe, to prevent genocide... or would you have stood back, saying "I cannot fight evil with evil. Kill my and my family if you must."

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Facism was, and still is, wrong. I don't get absolutist myself very often, but about facism I am an absolutist. It is wrong. It had to be challenged.

Indeed [Smile] but what it was challenged by was not “Good”. The evil of the allies was not as heavy handed and blatant but it was still a long way from good.

quote:
And I am extremely glad it was. It is very likely that I wouldn't have had the freedom and opportunity I have now if it hadn't been.
What freedom would that be? The freedom to fund a corrupt govt or go to jail if you withhold your tax? The freedom to protest against a war that still happens? The freedom to write letters to politicians asking (ASKING!) them to oppose the US on Guantanamo?

Modern society is evil that is less insecure, that is all. It is happy to allow superficial protest as it knows such offers no threat and instead lets off steam for the masses.

quote:
But all this has nothing whatsoever to do with WW2, which is what we were discussing.
It shows what the values of the society at the time has grown into, adding context to the argument.

quote:
Surely discussion about such subjects as you raise here is a thread all in itself?
Probably [Big Grin]

quote:
Who are 'the modern lot'? Switzerland? Britain? Luxembourg? America? Lesotho?
The modern lot are the architects of the EU and Globalisation in general.

quote:
I'm not sure that WW2 was based on realising the kingdom of God. So far as I am aware, it was about freedom from tyranny.
It did not succeed though, because it WASN’T “based on realising the kingdom of God.” But was about expanding the empire of men. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Mdijon:
Teapot, what if you were one of the soldiers in the RPF in 1994 in Rwanda?

Would you have taken up arms to fight interhamwe, to prevent genocide... or would you have stood back, saying "I cannot fight evil with evil. Kill my and my family if you must."

I would have taken up arms to defend my family and done that. I would not have taken up arms to replace one tyrant with another. When you approach the world with hate in your heart you will only replace one monster with another.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair enough. So a just war is possible then.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

It is possible for fighting to be just. [Smile]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Do you mean that fighting can be just but not a war? If so, where is the dividing line. If the RPF encouraged you to fight with them against the interhamwe genocide after saving your own family, where would you stand?

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

Sorry, I dont do hypotheticals....I would have to decide at the time based upon what the aims were.

If you are asking if I have any object to using force to defend others then no I have no objection in principle but I would be cautious of joining a war as I am all too aware of how corrupting cries for vengeance can be.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Sorry, I dont do hypotheticals....I would have to decide at the time based upon what the aims were.

Sorry to hear about this disability, as many of us find this is a useful way of understanding our own and others' positions.

After all, the question "Is there a just war" can only ever be answered hypothetically, since we are rarely in possesion of all the facts.

But it sounds to me like you admit a possibility of there being a just war, with certain, entirely reasonable (IMHO) caveats and reluctance.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:

Sorry to hear about this disability, as many of us find this is a useful way of understanding our own and others' positions.
Saying "I could hypothetically do [insert bad thing]" is often a sign that they could. Saying "I could hypothetically do [insert good thing]" is rarely a sound reason for expecting such [Big Grin]

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Is that the only point of discussing hypothetical situations? I think you're missing something. Or just avoiding answering a question.

Most of our discussions on the board are hypothetical.

--------------------

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I can accept the concept of a just war. Perhaps I don't fully understand the concept, of course. It seems to put us into an area of justification and potential hypocrisy that I'm not comfortable with.

It seems to me that no matter how justified the cause, war is always going to be cruel, and involve the deaths of people who have no power in the situation and are only tangentially connected to the reason for the war (both army and civilian) and suffering for many more. Things will always be done on both sides that we ought to be ashamed of.

It seems to me more honest to say that war is an unequivocal evil - but sometimes, unfortunately, a necessity to prevent a greater evil or defend ourselves.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

'Just' in terms of one of the participants, if not the war itself.... perhaps better to talk in terms of a 'necessary' war - or an 'unavoidable' war, rather than 'just'?

--------------------

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

The "Just War" doctrine deals basically with the time prior to the war.

Not so. "Just war" theory deals with the time prior to war, jus ad bellum, the conduct of the war, jus in bello and more recently has been extended to include actions after the war just post bellum. This doesn't mean, of course, that the whole history of a nation after the war is necessarily relevant in determining whether a war was just.

quote:
Originally posted by Llareggub:

Precisely. There is no way a an unjust war can be justified either by the way in which it is conducted or its outcomes

True, but the reverse is not the case, an otherwise just war can be considered unjust as a result either of the way was fought or the actions of the participants after the war.

One point that gets raised when debating whether WWII was just or not was the oppressive nature of Stalin's Soviet Union. It should be remembered that when the UK (and its allies in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc) declared war on Germany there was a non-aggression pact between Germany and the Soviet Union. Consequently how "good" or "bad" the Soviet Union was has very little significance in determining whether the allies were justified in declaring war on Germany in 1939. Even after the Soviet Union was attacked by Germany and after Japan and the United States entered the war I don't think the Soviet Union's actions can be used as a basis for determining whether the UK and USA (among others) were justified in fighting a war against Germany.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:

CAUGHT YA!

How can you judge whether WW2 was just or not? By your own reasoning you would have to have been there, in 1939, in a position of leadership, fully aware of the aims of the war, to be able to make a judgement either way.

Otherwise, you are guilty of indulging in the hypotheticals you have here said you do not indulge in.

[Razz] [Biased]

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

Hypotheticals look forwards littlelady, not backwards. It is easy to look backwards and see the darkness lurking on all sides in WWII; not so to look forwards and predict the same.

"Rumors of my capture have been greatly exagerated" [Smile]

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
If you can show me how getting beaten up because you are black or drank from the water fountain equates to 9 to 26 million Jews, homosexuals, mental incompetents, gypsies [Biased] , and others killed than you are a post-modern moral relativist of the highest grade, if one can call that "highest". I am sure the Jews, homosexuals, mental incompetents, gypsies, and others killed in the holocaust will respect your historical opinion.

How many civilians were killed in the first 2 uses of nuclear terrorism (where the US admits they targeted two civilian cities for the terror effect it would have)? Why did the US wait to enter the war until after Pearl Harbour (which, evidence now suggests, they knew about in advance...)? What of Churchill who accepted Auschwitz etc as collateral damage rather than let on the allies had broken the Enigma code?

I think you have drank too much of the historical revisionist Koolaid. [Biased] The problem with all three of the statements above is that they are taken out of historical context.

Answer: The Bombs saved way more lives from the Invasion of Japan, than they took. All one needs to look at was the battles leading up to the Invasion of Japan i.e. Iwo Jima to see that is true.

Answer: Why the hell would the US enter a war until it made sense to do so?

Answer: Why would Churchill (or anyone else for that matter) send troops in behind enemy lines to die trying to save a few when he had to worry about nearly all of Western Europe? Revisionists tend to forget that WWII lacked helicopters to go in and pluck the Jews out, it wasn't as simple as dropping in paratroops and coookies.

And as for China, sometimes you can't help but sleep with the enemy. Except of course that the people of China are not our enemy so we really shouldn't persecute them with trade barriers because their government sucks. And the proof is in the changes in liberties that are gradually overtaking their country. As someone famous once said, "Where goods do not cross borders, armies will" (paraphrased).

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
quote:
Facism was, and still is, wrong. I don't get absolutist myself very often, but about facism I am an absolutist. It is wrong. It had to be challenged.

Indeed [Smile] but what it was challenged by was not “Good”. The evil of the allies was not as heavy handed and blatant but it was still a long way from good.
I don't agree. In 1939, based purely on the many books I have read, programmes I have seen, witness testimony I have heard (and these are all that I and most other people have access to), the allies were not involved in any evil remotely comparable to the Nazis. But the aim of the war, that is if it was to free others (and keep ourselves) from the oppression of Nazi tyranny, was indeed good, in all senses of the word.

quote:
What freedom would that be? The freedom to fund a corrupt govt or go to jail if you withhold your tax? The freedom to protest against a war that still happens? The freedom to write letters to politicians asking (ASKING!) them to oppose the US on Guantanamo?

I have personally not opted at any time in my life to fund a corrupt government, thanks very much. The fact that I fund BLiar's government is something I have no choice over. But yes, all these freedoms are freedom to me. Under a Nazi regime, it is likely you wouldn't have had the freedom to do any of these things or, in fact, a multiplicity of other things. The fact that you have the freedom to write what you just did on this discussion board is quite possibly something to do with WW2.

quote:
I'm not sure that WW2 was based on realising the kingdom of God. So far as I am aware, it was about freedom from tyranny. It did not succeed though, because it WASN’T “based on realising the kingdom of God.” But was about expanding the empire of men. [Smile]
That wasn't what the Allies were about, but it was of course what the Nazis were about. Britain, for example, didn't extend its empire one iota. In fact, WW2 finished off the British Empire once and for all.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Hypotheticals look forwards littlelady, not backwards. It is easy to look backwards and see the darkness lurking on all sides in WWII; not so to look forwards and predict the same.

Semantics, dear Teapot. (I've never called a teapot dear before. Tis alarming! [Big Grin] ) You can locate a hypothetical at any spot in time, and look forward from that point.

And besides, it's just as easy to look backwards and see nothing but darkness lurking on all sides. We weren't there, so we don't know.

These hypotheticals. They're mighty tricky to pin down! [Biased]

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Answer: The Bombs saved way more lives from the Invasion of Japan, than they took. All one needs to look at was the battles leading up to the Invasion of Japan i.e. Iwo Jima to see that is true.

Cooking two civilian cities is fine then if it saves lives elsewhere. Nice! I’m sure Mr Bush has a chair waiting for you!

quote:
Answer: Why the hell would the US enter a war until it made sense to do so?
Gee, maybe because it was the “just” thing to do to fight fascism? [Biased]

quote:
Answer: Why would Churchill (or anyone else for that matter) send troops in behind enemy lines to die trying to save a few when he had to worry about nearly all of Western Europe? Revisionists tend to forget that WWII lacked helicopters to go in and pluck the Jews out, it wasn't as simple as dropping in paratroops and coookies.
If he had released info about Auschwitz mayhap Switzerland would not have been able to claim Neutrality despite the screams from the trains that stopped there being audible to the Swiss in the towns…. And they could act, Britain chose not to so as to not give away that they knew about Enigma and how to decode it.

quote:
And as for China, sometimes you can't help but sleep with the enemy. Except of course that the people of China are not our enemy so we really shouldn't persecute them with trade barriers because their government sucks.
That is, quite frankly (checks which board we are in [Big Grin] ) utter Botox. We do not have to trade with China, and keeping them supported in having sweatshops full of robot-people is hardly benefiting them; it is a tool for greed justified by apologists. Nothing more.

quote:
And the proof is in the changes in liberties that are gradually overtaking their country.
you mean like the children beaten into “Olympic condition”? Open you eyes Geo.

quote:
Originally posted by Li’llday:
In 1939, …. the allies were not involved in any evil remotely comparable to the Nazis.

No offence m’lady but “Just” requires a lot more than “not involved in any evil remotely comparable to”.

quote:
The fact that I fund BLiar's government is something I have no choice over.
Yes you do. You can “… not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.”(Matthew 6:34) and withhold your tax, as I will be doing from this point onwards.

quote:
But yes, all these freedoms are freedom to me. Under a Nazi regime, it is likely you wouldn't have had the freedom to do any of these things or, in fact, a multiplicity of other things. The fact that you have the freedom to write what you just did on this discussion board is quite possibly something to do with WW2.
A voice that is ignored is not a voice. We have the freedom to let off steam because TPTB know that it will never hurt them. People are too comfy to cause too much trouble over something that does not affect them. Oh they will riot over their poll-tax increases but not over torture of someone else.

quote:
That wasn't what the Allies were about, but it was of course what the Nazis were about. Britain, for example, didn't extend its empire one iota. In fact, WW2 finished off the British Empire once and for all.
Indeed. Britain’s empire was replace by America’s.

[Smile]

quote:
And besides, it's just as easy to look backwards and see nothing but darkness lurking on all sides. We weren't there, so we don't know.
Hindsight almost invariably gives better perception than foresight…except when looking at your bum in the mirror [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So let me see if I get this straight. You would rather have had us not drop the bomb and kill a few million more Japanese and allies in the invasion of Japan, have had us sacrifice our troops and possibly prolong the war on a half-baked plan to try to liberate POW camps full of sick and dying from behind enemy lines, and put Chinese people out of work because trade barriers and embargos have worked so well in Iraq and Cuba. As you say:

Nice.

--------------------

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
If he had released info about Auschwitz mayhap Switzerland would not have been able to claim Neutrality despite the screams from the trains that stopped there being audible to the Swiss in the towns…. And they could act, Britain chose not to so as to not give away that they knew about Enigma and how to decode it.

So now the British are to blame for Switzerland's neutrality? What was WC supposed to do? Bomb Switzerland?? If Switzerland wanted to back out of war, as Switzerland likes to do, then it should have the freedom to do so. Some of us don't have to respect "it" for doing so. But there was bugger all WC or anyone else could do about it, regardless of the screams.

It seems that on the one hand you wanted Britain to barge into another country (Switzerland) but on the other not defend it and its allies right to freedom against tyrrany.

[Confused]

quote:
Hindsight almost invariably gives better perception than foresight…except when looking at your bum in the mirror [Big Grin]
Ha! Speak for yerself! My bum's just fine thanks very much! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
So let me see if I get this straight. You would rather have had us not drop the bomb and kill a few million more Japanese and allies in the invasion of Japan, have had us sacrifice our troops and possibly prolong the war on a half-baked plan to try to liberate POW camps full of sick and dying from behind enemy lines, and put Chinese people out of work because trade barriers and embargos have worked so well in Iraq and Cuba. As you say:

Nice.

It takes a strange mind to justify the use of nukes on civilian cities.....especially in support of a regime which at home, would continue with segregation for another 20 years (and still does, economically so, if New Orleans is anything to go by). But hey, as you are happy to trade with China I dont expect you to understand that [Frown]

quote:
So now the British are to blame for Switzerland's neutrality? What was WC supposed to do? Bomb Switzerland?? If Switzerland wanted to back out of war, as Switzerland likes to do, then it should have the freedom to do so. Some of us don't have to respect "it" for doing so. But there was bugger all WC or anyone else could do about it, regardless of the screams.

WC could have released the info and shamed Switzerland into not allowing trains to pass through their territory…..maybe instil a little moral courage and not standby whilst the holocaust happened via their trainlines; seriously hampering the nazi ability to get folks into the camps.

quote:
Ha! Speak for yerself! My bum's just fine thanks very much! [Big Grin]
Well, I’d have to know that in person to be sure hehehehe

[runs off! [Big Grin] ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which leads me on to leo's point, where he translates this:

quote:
4. The cost of fighting must not outweigh the cost of not fighting (Prudential judgement) - consequences

as justification for not going to war, in case there are consequences beyond the war itself.

leo, I would contest your interpretation of this point. How have the costs of fighting WW2 outweighed not fighting? Are you saying that the freedom of France, Belgium, Britain, possibly America (since he had plans to attack there), Russia (since he tried attacking there), and numerous other countries were not worth it?

No, I wasn't saying that. I was merely saying what the Just War doctrine says; I wasn't giving an opinion on whether World War 2 met the criteria. In fact, I think World War 2 is one of the very few wars which has met the criteria - at least up until carpet bombing and the use of nuclear weapons - but others have already commented on that.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
No, I wasn't saying that. I was merely saying what the Just War doctrine says; I wasn't giving an opinion on whether World War 2 met the criteria.

Fair enough. My bad. I mistakenly drew that inference from your post.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hiroshima/Nagasaki was more than justified by the Japanese civilians and Allied lives it saved from the invasion of Japan, as those that it killed.

It depends how you do your sums. If you include all the deaths in those cities that has heppned in the past 60 years as a reult of the fall out, if you add the lives of 3rd world people that could have been saved had the cash NOT been spent on the arms race during the cold war (fuelled by fear of nuclear anihilation by 'the other side'etc. we might get a different result.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Llareggub
Shipmate
# 10210

- Posted      Profile for Llareggub   Email Llareggub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If ever anything failed to meet the criteria of 'just' it was the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Justification is not dependent on some speculative calculation and anyway, where would you stop. What about the thousands of premature deaths, stillborn and disbled children that resulted from those bombings. Don't they count? And what distorted morality would it take to justify their deaths.

--------------------

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

Leo, you are assuming that no one would have built a bomb, thus resulting in no cold war. Not possible. There were many many countries building Bombs (not the least of which was Nazi Germany before the allies blew up their program).
Bomb technology was inevitable, it was just part of technological devlopment, and if we had not invented it first it would have been the Russians, or the Chinese, or any other country that developed to a certain level of technological sophistication.

As for my "distorted mentality" and "strange mind" here's a few estimates for you two,
Invasion of Japan, the estimates and the historical numbers. A few choice quotes:

quote:
....the Japanese civilian population, inflamed by a national slogan - "One Hundred Million Will Die for the Emperor and Nation" - were prepared to fight to the death.
quote:
At the early stage of the invasion, 1,000 Japanese and American soldiers would be dying every hour.

quote:
One can only guess at how many civilians would have committed suicide in their homes or in futile mass military attacks.

On Iwo Jima 21000 Japanese fought to the death. Only 200 were captured alive at a cost of 26,000 allied casualties and 7000 dead.

On Kyushu (Japan) alone there were 790,000 defenders plus 8.5 million civilians. Imagine them all or mostly all fighting to the death as they did in Iwo Jima.

The highest numbers at Hiroshima are estimated between 65,000 and 200,000 with best estimates at 90,000. Radiation after effects deaths since then are estimated at a thousand.

No matter how you slice it, at that time and at that place, the "just" thing to do was to save Millions and Millions of lives by dropping the bomb on 90,000 lives. If you can't see that then you probably should be checking yourself for a "distorted mentality" and "strange mind" because if it were up to you, you would kill millions to save thousands. Why some of the nastiest dictators in WWII would really respect you for that, I would suspect.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
WC could have released the info

Who said he didn't?

quote:
and shamed Switzerland into not allowing trains to pass through their territory…..
Who says that would have been the outcome?

It's all hypothetical. But in the past. [Biased]

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
No matter how you slice it, at that time and at that place, the "just" thing to do was to save Millions and Millions of lives by dropping the bomb on 90,000 lives.

Based on all I've read and learned about WW2, I'd agree with you Mad Geo. On a much smaller scale than this, such decisions have always been made by military personnel - whether to lose the few to save the many. And my guess is that this would be the case within a civilian context too, post 9/11.

It was a terrible, terrible situation for both the decision-makers and the pilots of the planes to find themselves in. I can only be relieved a million times over that it wasn't me in either role. But it was necessary. The Japanese at that time were not going to stop.

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
On Kyushu (Japan) alone there were 790,000 defenders plus 8.5 million civilians. Imagine them all or mostly all fighting to the death as they did in Iwo Jima.

Well, as they gave up after, as you claim, only 90,000 were killed, perhaps your assumption is a little off target....

quote:
The highest numbers at Hiroshima are estimated between 65,000 and 200,000 with best estimates at 90,000. Radiation after effects deaths since then are estimated at a thousand.

No matter how you slice it, at that time and at that place, the "just" thing to do was to save Millions and Millions of lives by dropping the bomb on 90,000 lives.

The bombs were dropped on CIVILIAN targets not military ones and if you think the deliberate murder, the deliberate slaughter and irradiation, of 100's of 1000's of civilian lives is "just" I thank god you dont control any weapons!

Decency is not a numbers game to be calculated by accountants Geo. That you appear to think it is speaks volumes about you.

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Whatever people might think of the blanket bombing of Dresden et al, there was the blitz first. Not only this but had those blanket bombings not occurred, would the Nazis have stopped? Would they have been convinced that their time was up? The same applies to Japan, which had a culture engrained with not losing face under any circumstances whatsoever. How many allies were to die before Japan stopped? Faced with such scenarios, what were the leaders of the allied nations supposed to do? It was a truly tough call.

From what I have read the blanket bombings if anything increased the resolve of Germany. The idea was to demoralize but the reality was a bit different.

The use of nuclear weapons against Japan was a bit different, because America could blow away a whole city with one airplane (Of course they had so few bombs that it wasn't a credible threat). But you have to ask why was an invasion neccesary at all? The Japanese army at that point was pretty much defeated, and Japan would have been easy to blockade. And personally I think those bombs should have landed on the Emperor and his generals. If you need to take out a bad guy you shoot him, you don't shoot his son and then threaten to shoot his daughter if he doesn't surrender.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just curious if anyone bothered to read my links on the Rape of Nanking.

There were aproxamaetly 300,000 people murdered in Nanking over the course of six weeks. Aprox. 20,000 females of all ages from young children to geriatrics raped and then murdered. Pregnant women raped, and then sliced open so their fetus' could be removed.

Thats what Japanese occupation was like. Pardon me if I don't weep to loudly over any deaths caused by ending their regime.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The British reacted to the Blitz with what only be called defiance. It made the people at home feel that they were experiencing part of what the men "at the front" were going through. It also gave the men "at the front" something to fight for- "let's get the job done to save our people at home" sort of thing.

In that light, it is amazing that the mass bombing of Germany was heralded as the way to cause demoralisation in Germany. But the command structure in an army/whatever force works the same way as in any large business- the guy with the confidence wins over or bullies the less-sure until the program is run, however disastrous it may be.

This is true of any war or revolution. Whatever the reasons for going in, there will always be the desire to "win" at whatever cost once the thing is running. This will muddy the view of the "just"ness of the startup, and cause the revisionists to play forever, but to hell with that, we're in it to win!

More recently, we have seen the need for "shock and awe" as a device to get all the mouth-breathers on side with the leader's decision- don't all those big bangs and neat weapons simply justify our decision? And a few well-placed comments about wimps and surrender-monkeys will take care of enough of the rest!

I'll say it again for the slower students: there were enough reasons before, during and after to be able to say that, on the whole, WW2 was "just"- but, yes, there were errors of judgment and enough active wish-making to make the outcome less than totally just. Get over it.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understood there to be seven conditions for a just war in the Catholic tradition. It has usually been understood as a concession to the imperfection of human nature: not going to war is always regarded as the better option in the same way that giving up all your possessions is better than keeping them. (But since we have possessions there are rules about how we acquire them and dispose of them.)

The rules are:

1) There must be a just cause: that is the original provocation must be serious and grave.
2) The consequences of going to war must be better than the consequences of not going to war.
3) It must be a last resort.
4) There must be a reasonable chance of success.
5) There must be a legitimate authority to declare the war.
6) The legitimate authority must have just intentions. This doesn't actually mean that they must mean well - that's between them and God. Anyway, if they don't have just intentions they won't care about this discussion at all. What it comes down to is that all military actions must be aimed at 1) or 2) or 6), and once 1) and 2) are achieved, peace must be negotiated. (No unconditional surrender.)
7) Only just means must be used. i.e. no deliberate and intentional bombing or killing civilians, no invading neutral countries.

This conditions must all be met. It's not enough to say that going to war will save lives if you haven't reached the last resort yet.

Note that the conduct of the Allies (UK and US) in the Second World War breached 7 on several occasions, and 6, since they required both Germany and Japan to surrender unconditionally.
1) and 2) seem to me to have been clearly met, but that's irrelevant to whether the Allies offended against 6.

Dafyd

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:

There were aproxamaetly 300,000 people murdered in Nanking over the course of six weeks. Aprox. 20,000 females of all ages from young children to geriatrics raped and then murdered. Pregnant women raped, and then sliced open so their fetus' could be removed.

Thats what Japanese occupation was like. Pardon me if I don't weep to loudly over any deaths caused by ending their regime.

These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act. It would be like punishing the Iraqi people for the sins of Sadam.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you knew that torturing a child might allow you to find the location of a nuclear bomb that might kill thousands of civilians, but which might not actually exist at all, would you do it?

The principle at stake is exactly the same as that of whether dropping a nuclear bomb is justified if it might save thousands of lives in a war (but you don't know for certain that the enemy won't surrender if you ask them nicely and offer honourable terms).

If you are in favour of dropping the nuclear bomb, you are committed to the claim that there is no act so horrible that it might not be justified under some circumstances. (Since there is pretty much no act so intrinsically horrible as dropping a nuclear bomb on a civilian population.)

Personally I don't believe that.

Here's a question. Do you believe that if Truman had said, killing children is abhorrent to the Lord; I will trust not in the nuclear bomb, but in the Lord my God - would God in his gracious providence have allowed the consequences of such a decision to be as horrible as dropping a nuclear bomb was?

Dafyd

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
would God in his gracious providence have allowed the consequences of such a decision to be as horrible as dropping a nuclear bomb was?

Probably, yes. If not worse. The consiquences of not dropping at least the Hiroshima bomb (I have to admit I've never been quite sure about Nagasaki) would have undoubtedly lead to many more deaths of both soldiers and yes, civilians as well.

God has given us moral discernment for a reason. Things are never just black-and-white.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

The option for america was dropping a bomb off the tokyo coast so everyone could see it, then saying "we have another and all your cities are made of wood and all your children will burn, now stop this foolishness an meet us for peace". Instead they chose to nuke 1000s of families, twice. A state that does that has embraced something VERY dark indeed.

--------------------

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:

Uh right. I wouldn't weep much for soldiers or government officials. But I do weep for civilians who had nothing to do with the atrocities that their governments and soldiers committed. As I said earlier it is a bit like killing a murderers family to punish the murderer. In other words completely insane and immoral.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
— Firefly

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

quote:
The option for america was dropping a bomb off the tokyo coast so everyone could see it, then saying "we have another and all your cities are made of wood and all your children will burn, now stop this foolishness an meet us for peace". Instead they chose to nuke 1000s of families, twice. A state that does that has embraced something VERY dark indeed.

Well they did have a good reason for that really. They had so few bombs that they couldn't really waste one. Really the whole thing was about ending the war so that the economy could recover. If they had wanted they could have finished off the Japanese forces, bombed it's industry to rubble, and had a naval blockade around the whole country. But that would have taken time and money that they didn't want to spend.

Of course from an entirely un-Christian perspective I approve of the two bombings. It is a primordial human urge to hurt your enemy so badly that he will never hurt you again.

--------------------
— Firefly

Llareggub
Shipmate
# 10210

Teapot
quote:

These things were not done by the residents of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. That is a strange sense of justice to punish those who had nothing to do with the act. It would be like punishing the Iraqi people for the sins of Sadam.

Absolutely.

Even if the contestable assumptions Mad Geo makes about the ‘benefits’ of dropping the Hiroshima bomb are accepted, then why the need for a second one on Nagasaki? These were crimes against humanity in the real sense of the words, unjustified morally, spiritually and possibly politically.

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:

The same could be said about the residents of London, Liverpool, and the other towns and cities in Britain that were hit by the Nazis, over and over again. I wonder ... if the Nazis hadn't involved civilians in WW2, would The Bomb ever have been dropped?

Something else I wonder is this. The Nazis were developing atomic potential to use against the allies. That the Americans got there first was because a physicist crossed the tracks. What if the Nazis had got there first? What if there had been no concerted effort to curtail their progress?

I refuse to judge, personally. I wasn't there. Given all the options at that time, the horrendous loss of life all round up to that time, the potential for loss of life if the war continued at that time, I do not feel in a position to judge the use of the atomic bomb.

I would view it entirely differently if considered now, however. But then, I think there is no justification whatsoever for suicide bombers. Some do, though.

[ 04. January 2006, 21:28: Message edited by: Littlelady ]

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

Often, but not always, the reason for suicide bombers is "as you sow, so shall you reap".....especially for Zion (Israel is a people, not a state) who have learned much from their Nazi oppressors.... Not a "I support them" but an "I understand how they are made".

--------------------

Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

quote:
Often, but not always, the reason for suicide bombers is "as you sow, so shall you reap".....especially for Zion (Israel is a people, not a state) who have learned much from their Nazi oppressors.... Not a "I support them" but an "I understand how they are made".

Mmm *strokes chin thoughtfully*. Interesting. I have absolutely no clue at all as to how a suicide bomber is "made". All I know is that they are full of hatred and couldn't give a damn about who they destroy with their hatred. That alone means I have absolutely no understanding of them at all. And no sympathy whatsoever.

The interesting bit, however, is that you can in some way connect to a suicide bomber, but are frank and explicit in your condemnation of Britain, the US, Australia, NZ, Canada and numerous others in fighting for their own freedom against tyranny.

I guess politics is all! [Disappointed]

--------------------

Teapot
Shipmate
# 10837

quote:
I have absolutely no clue at all as to how a suicide bomber is "made". All I know is that they are full of hatred and couldn't give a damn about who they destroy with their hatred. That alone means I have absolutely no understanding of them at all. And no sympathy whatsoever.

The interesting bit, however, is that you can in some way connect to a suicide bomber, but are frank and explicit in your condemnation of Britain, the US, Australia, NZ, Canada and numerous others in fighting for their own freedom against tyranny.

I guess politics is all! [Disappointed]

I can have sympathy for someone dragged so far into darkness that they turn to this path and I can understand what has lead them there, without supporting them. Similarly I can have the same approach to Nazi germany and the US/UK/USSR etc.

--------------------

FiliusSyon
Shipmate
# 10722

- Posted      Profile for FiliusSyon   Author's homepage   Email FiliusSyon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The same could be said about the residents of London, Liverpool, and the other towns and cities in Britain that were hit by the Nazis, over and over again.

Yes.

quote:

I wonder ... if the Nazis hadn't involved civilians in WW2, would The Bomb ever have been dropped?

To say the Nazis were responsible for the atomic attacks against Japan may require a bit of revisionism. I do not think any stringent chain of deduction could be constructed to support this. Unless you are speaking of the chaos-theoretic butterfly causing hurricanes, of course.

Personally, I think the Americans nuked Japan for a number of reasons:
1) To win the pacific theater before the Red Army entered the theater.
2) To frighten the Soviets.
3) They were interested in how exactly the cities would get blasted to pieces.
4) They were feeling especially grumpy that morning.
5) Because they could.

quote:

Something else I wonder is this. The Nazis were developing atomic potential to use against the allies. That the Americans got there first was because a physicist crossed the tracks.

Which physicist are you talking about? I do not remember any. Also, there is slim evidence that WW2 Germany ever was interested in atomic weapons. This was speculated by Einstein at that time though, in itself being sufficient reason to build it.

[Edit: Fixed typo]

[ 04. January 2006, 22:12: Message edited by: FiliusSyon ]

--------------------
----
"It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled sea of thought."
- John K. Galbraith

Posts: 220 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016