homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: S o F Denominational Representation (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: S o F Denominational Representation
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
I'll find it very interesting to know how you can support even one of your allegations.

She doesn't have to. None of the admins are answerable to anyone but Simon and Erin.

None of us have a right to post here at all.

Lamb Chopped is right. Continuing to second-guess decisions like this is insulting to the people who keep the ship afloat.

It's not our call, and it's not really any of our business. Time to move on.

I think anyone who has contributed to the ship's coffers at least deserves a say.

Besides, just because they don't "have to" doesn't mean they "shouldn't be requested to".

I liked Max.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Cuthbert:
What a pity that this thread has descended to attacks and defences of individuals.

I still believe the original opening questions are worth discussion and thought.

If you're talking about the Max situation, someone ought to start another thread, methinks.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
I think anyone who has contributed to the ship's coffers at least deserves a say.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to stop you right there. Contributing to the ship's coffers doesn't get you any special privilege in this regard. Everyone is free to register their opinion, including those who think we're collectively the reincarnation of Hitler and those who think that everyone should just STFU about it already.

[ 21. October 2009, 01:04: Message edited by: Erin ]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll miss Max. He grew--and grew up--a lot here.

He had a good sense of humor; unfortunately, people sometimes read his posts seriously when they weren't meant that way. I know that was the case with the big mess in Hell, sometime back.

I know these decisions are hard for--and on--the hosts. I hope, FWIW, that maybe someday there'll be a way for him to come back.

[Votive] for all concerned.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's obvious the H&A have been seeking a *reason* to ban Max. However, this piss-poor excuse merely looks vindictive.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many more buttons should he get to push? Max has been granted sooooooooo much slack, but that has finally run out. Should the post in question have been ignored until the next one? And if the next one wasn't really serious and just inside joking, should the H&A's wait until the next mistep? Giving a final warning is a bit silly if it's not actually going to be the final one.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe Max. can learn from this that in RealLife™, "enough" really can mean enough. It might save him from more than a ban from a website.

If you're lurking Max, God Bless.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Well, it's obvious the H&A have been seeking a *reason* to ban Max. However, this piss-poor excuse merely looks vindictive.

And I'm going to have to stop you right here, too. The Ship's administration reserves the right to ban anyone at any time for any or no reason whatsoever. So the admins don't need to seek a reason, or an excuse. The bannee, as always, takes care of that all on their own.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
five
Shipmate
# 14492

- Posted      Profile for five         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My only experience of Max was on the thread that got him warned. (And count me among those who picked up fast that there was a big past history. For starters the Admins cited a lot of "episodes" in their posts.) But the warning to me was very clear that anything, anything at all, meant that Max was gone. Given the way Max acted in that thread, and in starting that thread, I'm surprised that the final straw was for something this mild. Then again, it was stated in the post that banned him that he'd ordinarily get suspended for that post, and since he was already not getting suspended for the July fiasco explicitly so that the admins could ban him as they'd had enough, this was the double yellow card that amounted to a red.

Compared to his July thread, the post in question was utterly minor. Added to his July thread, the tipping point.

--------------------
And Jesus said 'the greatest commandments are these: Love the Lord your God with 10% of your time and energy, and Pamphlet your neighbour with tracts' - Birdseye

Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
How many more buttons should he get to push? Max has been granted sooooooooo much slack, but that has finally run out. Should the post in question have been ignored until the next one? And if the next one wasn't really serious and just inside joking, should the H&A's wait until the next mistep? Giving a final warning is a bit silly if it's not actually going to be the final one.

That's about the size of it. And just in case anyone thinks that Tubbs is the big, bad meany - she acted after consultation & agreement with the other admins.

And we've had exactly this situation with other multi-warned, multi-suspended posters before, with exactly the same accusations of unfairness. Sometimes, a final warning really is a final warning, even if the tipping point would have been a minor offence for a shipmate with otherwise exemplary behaviour.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a simple Shipmate I understand that Max. was amusing, so I know why various people who should know better are posting in his defense.

As a long-time previous host of MW/Eccles, I know how much time and effort he required over the years, both in public and in PMs. He has been given more second chances than any other member of this forum and spread over a much longer timespan.

For those of you who think he has grown up, think again. The hosts and admins and various shipmates have put way too many personal hours into trying to train Max and while he has made some progress, it simply hasn't been enough.

And for those of you who are new or haven't been paying attention, he has a reputation of posting and/or linking to all sorts of personal information and then having a hissy fit at the Ship when someone In Real Life happened across it

Will I miss his posts? Yes.
Will I miss his presence? No.

He should have been banned long ago simply because he always seemed to think that the rules didn't apply to him.

It's one thing to push the limits (the Ship tolerates that) but quite another to simply ignore them and think you are special.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by five:
My only experience of Max was on the thread that got him warned. (And count me among those who picked up fast that there was a big past history. For starters the Admins cited a lot of "episodes" in their posts.) But the warning to me was very clear that anything, anything at all, meant that Max was gone. Given the way Max acted in that thread, and in starting that thread, I'm surprised that the final straw was for something this mild. Then again, it was stated in the post that banned him that he'd ordinarily get suspended for that post, and since he was already not getting suspended for the July fiasco explicitly so that the admins could ban him as they'd had enough, this was the double yellow card that amounted to a red.

Compared to his July thread, the post in question was utterly minor. Added to his July thread, the tipping point.

Warnings are also intended to influence behaviour. Other posters have been told that they need to change their behaviour in order to remain here and they’ve done so. Max didn’t.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
five
Shipmate
# 14492

- Posted      Profile for five         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All that said, I'm slightly disappointed that the other guy who got banned got a new logo that looked like Erin ate him, but Max still gets to stay as he was. That Erin eating people logo is funny.

--------------------
And Jesus said 'the greatest commandments are these: Love the Lord your God with 10% of your time and energy, and Pamphlet your neighbour with tracts' - Birdseye

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All that said, I'm slightly disappointed that the other guy who got banned got a new logo that looked like Erin ate him, but Max still gets to stay as he was. That Erin eating people logo is funny.

The "Erin eating a troll" avatar is reserved for sockpuppets, I think.
Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
quote:

......so he can have one next time. [Snigger]
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

Whatever Max.'s sins and failings, I don't think sockpuppetry is one of them.

[code]

[ 22. October 2009, 12:25: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It's used when the person is banned by Erin. For whatever reason.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

Whatever Max.'s sins and failings, I don't think sockpuppetry is one of them.

[code]

His twitter is informative.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord P, if there is one thing I have learned by now on the Ship, it is that the Adminisphere is full of very bright, crafty--even sneaky--people who are pretty good at knowing the their market.

Max. is quite bright and I'd be surprised if there isn't a trick or two up his sleeve, but in the long run my money is on Erin and the Admins.

(Hmmm..."Erin and the Admins" might make a decent name for a rock band).

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before H&A come down on Lord P for this last post, I have already snarled at him about it. Easy enough, given that he is sitting in the next room.
Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
people who are pretty good at knowing the their market

If I were marketing a bulletin board to be "unrestful", and wanted interesting people to flock to it, I'd get rid of the bores who have posted recently on this thread and I certainly wouldn't ditch a hard-to-manage but challenging young person like Max. But then marketing, like human resources, is a department for folk who aren't up to selling anything.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's unrest that stirs the marketplace of ideas, letting thoughts and memes be shared and considered as people of different ilks rub shoulders. Then there's screaming children knocking over displays and preventing everybody else from conversing. And there's also grimy indigents mumbling their displeasure of reality as they stink up the place with their alcoholic breath.

We're not a company with departments. We're a bazaar.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slavophile
Apprentice
# 140

- Posted      Profile for Slavophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After observing the ship for over a decade, it is quite clear that the only time spoiled assholes are tolerated is if they are also admins.

--------------------
"You perform all the difficult religious duties; you fast, you watch, you suffer; but you will not endure the easy ones--you do not love."
-Abbot Peter the Venerable to Bernard of Clairvaux

Posts: 14 | From: The high desert | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Slavophile:
After observing the ship for over a decade, it is quite clear that the only time spoiled assholes are tolerated is if they are also admins.

Obviously, you see more Admins than I do. And, clearly, in your observations I've been an Admin for a long, long time.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slavophile
Apprentice
# 140

- Posted      Profile for Slavophile     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it's either adminship or the plank. Usually the plank if you crusade or are immature in your assholeishness. If you are a bit more sophisticated or caustic, you get to fall up.

And you've been part of the Hosts and Admins for a long fucking time. Don't kid yourself or us.

--------------------
"You perform all the difficult religious duties; you fast, you watch, you suffer; but you will not endure the easy ones--you do not love."
-Abbot Peter the Venerable to Bernard of Clairvaux

Posts: 14 | From: The high desert | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Slavophile, where have you been all my (Ship) Life?

FD Grimy Indigent etc etc

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
We're a bazaar.

Ahem... I think you'll find the correct spelling is:
b i z a r r e

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

So wait, does that mean I need to change my title? I quite like poisonous, dysfunctional witch. [Frown]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

No no, you're an Editor, not an Admin.

And I'm not changing my title. Because, really, by now the red maple leaf is synonymous with "spoiled asshole" anyway.

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

True, but he said admins, plural, and you and David and I are about the only ones who ever qualified.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Tubbs has been found out. She only seems to be an informative, helpful person. Really, in the light of the moon, she's a spoiled brat, clearly.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
True, but he said admins, plural, and you and David and I are about the only ones who ever qualified.

Occupation says *Cubicle Monkey* - maybe somewhat, er, less than qualified, generally speaking, y'know IRL an' all that [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

HAW! HAW! HAW!

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

never can tell, can ya hon? [Biased]

--------------------

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship's finally kicking Max. out of the nest and giving him chance to grow up already? Cool. I know it's against his call and all, but that boy needs to get laid. May the Goddess bless his journey onward from here, and good job H & A's, as usual.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure whether 'getting laid' in itself ever enlightened anyone. If that were true those who had really screwed around would be the most mature. [Killing me] I hope Max remains chaste and true to his call. [Cool]

Like everyone here, Max has pure gold within him. I wish him enormously well. God bless, Max. Keep on that pilgrim road! [Smile]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
Like everyone here, Max has pure gold within him.

More than some, Sir P.

Max., nil carborundum illegitimae.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not sure whether 'getting laid' in itself ever enlightened anyone. If that were true those who had really screwed around would be the most mature. [Killing me]

That's your own false logic you're laughing at there, Pelly. Eating well is good for one's health - but those who eat the most aren't the healthiest.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
The Ship's finally kicking Max. out of the nest and giving him chance to grow up already? Cool. I know it's against his call and all, but that boy needs to get laid. May the Goddess bless his journey onward from here, and good job H & A's, as usual.

I think we should mind our own business when it comes to young people's psycho-sexual development.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
And I'm not changing my title. Because, really, by now the red maple leaf is synonymous with "spoiled asshole" anyway.

I'm finding it hard to keep up - who spoiled your asshole?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed it? [Waterworks] I'll echo Flausa and others--Max (and his prior named versions) have pushed every button at least twice.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I think Tubbs has been found out. She only seems to be an informative, helpful person. Really, in the light of the moon, she's a spoiled brat, clearly.

Damn. You found me out. [Biased]

Tubbs

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

I think we should mind our own business when it comes to young people's psycho-sexual development.
leo, having dealt with Max. over the years, I completely agree with you about this.

People, just shut up and let it go. Max. is banned but that doesn't mean he isn't reading all this crap. OK?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Indeed. Enough already.

Tubbs
Styx Host

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
quote:
Not sure whether 'getting laid' in itself ever enlightened anyone. If that were true those who had really screwed around would be the most mature. [Killing me]

That's your own false logic you're laughing at there, Pelly. Eating well is good for one's health - but those who eat the most aren't the healthiest.
[Killing me]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I don't know about that. Julia Child for one was pretty well ripened when the Lord finally plucked her out of the garden.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
...Julia Child for one was pretty well ripened when the Lord finally plucked her out of the garden.

I'm not so sure if that was "ripened" or "pickled".

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly, our overlords have done an outstanding job here, as always...

Now, some light mood music, perhaps?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To comment on the OP,

While the Ship as a whole is strongly Anglican-of-some-persuasion, it also has a much broader range of perspectives than any I have run across before. It really runs the gamut from clergy, to theologian, those questioning their Christianity (where I count myself now), those who have given it up, and some cohort from almost every representative group (or very non-representative, as it may be).

Yes, there's a strong bias, but in Purg and Hell, where I mostly lurk, it isn't overbearing (once I figure out the lingo). It is people giving their opinion, but not parading it as The Way, which makes it more than palatable.

This is also the only board where I can have some faith that most posters words are backed by often decades of pondering, learning, and thought on the issues. The level of conversation here, even when it gets stupid, is higher than any other non-specialist place I've found on the internet, while retaining a sense of humor.

So, would it be nice to see a bit more variety yet? Sure, perhaps. There's nothing about the current variety though that makes the Ship a less-than-tempting URL to type into my browser.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016