homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Why does Tori Amos suck so much? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Why does Tori Amos suck so much?
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
To wildly paraphrase the main point of the book: if someone really loves a book, reads it over and over, gushes about it -- they're probably seeing something you don't, and the book is not a "bad" book, and you should STFU about it and not slam it.

Unless it's by Ayn Rand.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
To wildly paraphrase the main point of the book: if someone really loves a book, reads it over and over, gushes about it -- they're probably seeing something you don't, and the book is not a "bad" book, and you should STFU about it and not slam it.

Unless it's by Ayn Rand.
His thesis does admit of exceptions, it is true.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed.

I did not, in point of fact, even know for certain that Tori Amos had created any songs other than the rather-catchy "Conrflake Girl" until I just a few years ago. After hearing that a new Hellhost considered himself a fan, it seemed like a sufficiently adamant claim to inquire further - turns out that Myra is actually quite lovely and talented¹.

That's not the point. The point, as comet tried vainly to demonstrate, is to find a soft spot - a window into the beating heart of someone's fundamental self - and NYUK NYUK that motherfucker right in the eyes. It's funny, and done among certain kinds of creatures afflicted with too thick of a metaphysical hide can actually be a mark of camaraderie.

[Touches finger to discreet mic in ear.]
I'm being told that all this is entirely too obvious, and that you're all mindless babble-bots programmed to simulate what cannibalistic mealworms would converse about over dinner.

[Rips out earpiece in disgust.]
Fine. I'm going to quietly ban one of you, and see if any of the others notice.

¹ If you're into that sort of thing. I'm more of a Meg Myers and Deadmau5 kind of guy.

[ 30. November 2014, 05:02: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
the rather-catchy "Conrflake Girl"

Tragically edited down, of course, for the single/video. Sigh. At least it still has the best part of the piano jam.

Meanwhile, rather like the Meg Myers clip I was forced to check out as a Hellhost. Not so sure about the other one. Chopin's funeral march mucked about with...

[ 30. November 2014, 05:01: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh good. I'll just go back and change those links to pron.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're really having a problem with putting the letter 'R' in the right place today, mister. Maybe if you were using both hands to type it would help.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So I have to check the links twice, just to make sure.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Meg must have been standing in a cold room for that video.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's not that what you say is lost on me, but that I despise it. ... Except your thing on the philosophy thread. That was spot-on.

That's you in a nutshell. Philosophical Jekyll and PMS Hyde.

quote:
I'm more of a Meg Myers and Deadmau5 kind of guy.

Nipples and loops?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That'd be too obvious. I'm guessing Philip Glass.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
It's not that what you say is lost on me, but that I despise it. ... Except your thing on the philosophy thread. That was spot-on.

That's you in a nutshell. Philosophical Jekyll and PMS Hyde.
In other words I'm interesting and complex and you're monotone and dull. I can live with that. Oh, and you can't take a compliment for shit. Comes of not being fully human, I'm guessing.

Oh, and nice misogyny, by the way. Good to see your universal hatred of the human race includes women as a special case.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:

That'd be too obvious. I'm guessing Philip Glass.
Not that! I'll talk! I'll talk!

[ 30. November 2014, 14:27: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:

I'm more interested in the dark place she was in when she wrote it, but I see your points.
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:

I'm more interested in the dark place she was in when she wrote it, but I see your points.
We all saw her points...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In other words I'm interesting and complex and you're monotone and dull.

I guess from the professional perspective of a psychiatrist that is true. But then I prefer to write scientific articles, rather than have them written about me.

quote:
Oh, and you can't take a compliment for shit. Comes of not being fully human, I'm guessing.

So to compliment your wife you say things like "I hate everything about the way you look - except for your nose, which is lovely"? And when she doesn't seem to appreciate the compliment about her nose, you consider her subhuman? I guess that's part of what makes you interesting and complex.

quote:
Oh, and nice misogyny, by the way. Good to see your universal hatred of the human race includes women as a special case.

You are the one doing all the despising around here. My general misanthropy is more of the grumbling and lamenting kind - though it is indeed differentiated into misogyny and misandry, since men and women tend to vex me in different ways. No, I was going for an alliteration with "philosophical" there, and if the word somehow suggested your literal and metaphorical lack of balls, then all the better.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
You are the one doing all the despising around here.

Nope. Accusing a man of having PMS is doubly sexist. First it's PMS-shaming, which is sexist, and second, it's trying to insult a man by insinuating he's a woman, or like a woman, which is sexist.

You're a filthy pig.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair, he's one of the few people not talking about Meg's tits.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Accusing a man of having PMS is doubly sexist. First it's PMS-shaming, which is sexist, and second, it's trying to insult a man by insinuating he's a woman, or like a woman, which is sexist.

Fine, but in my defence it is difficult to slam your over-emotional, baseless and vicious bouts of hysteria as succinctly (three letters!) without reference to cultural stereotypes. I could call you a barking mad chihuahua on angel dust, or something. But that's probably speciesism. And mean to addicts.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

To be really fair, I was just a crosspost behind the first mention of the Meg's iced goods, cf. here. To be even fairer, I'm sure Meg and her video producer knew exactly what they were doing...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

I saw nothing. Mostly because after the first 15 seconds or so I was paying attention to the music and flicking between other tabs on Firefox. But shame on you all.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I saw nothing. Mostly because after the first 15 seconds or so I was paying attention to the music and flicking between other tabs on Firefox.

How interesting. I can see the publication right now: "Boob blindness: lack of saccades to prominent nipples and reduced mammary awareness in homosexual men". That should be hilariously high impact, heck, Nature will probably run a video feature on it. Oh, and easiest recruitment drive ever, at least for the heterosexual control group. I'm off to the Psychology department...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Or it could just be I'm passionate about music.

In fact, your constant attempts to make this thread about something other than the red-haired goddess of the keyboard are pissing me off.

[ 01. December 2014, 11:25: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
In fact, your constant attempts to make this thread about something other than the red-haired goddess of the keyboard are pissing me off.

You were trying to talk about comet? I didn't realise that...

I thought this was about a doughnut-shaped minor OT prophet. My apologies.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And I suppose that, in context, I should point out that the beloved Porsche got sold to fund some uninsured¹ dental surgeries for the wife. I'm hoping to start saving up for a Tesla P85D after the kids are both out of daycare.

True love, indeed! The Nurse is a lucky woman.

So tell me, darling, just how domesticated are you now?

Ford Taurus? Subaru?

Wait, don't tell me you've gone full minivan? Say it ain't so!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
And I suppose that, in context, I should point out that the beloved Porsche got sold to fund some uninsured¹ dental surgeries for the wife. I'm hoping to start saving up for a Tesla P85D after the kids are both out of daycare.

True love, indeed! The Nurse is a lucky woman.

So tell me, darling, just how domesticated are you now?

Ford Taurus? Subaru?

Wait, don't tell me you've gone full minivan? Say it ain't so!

Please. In PDX, you get one of these

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even better. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

You were trying to talk about comet? I didn't realise that...

I thought this was about a doughnut-shaped minor OT prophet. My apologies.

See, NOW I'm happy. First because comet is a way better choice than whatever bickering you've had going on. Second because you just referenced one of the best songs.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
quote:
You were trying to talk about comet? I didn't realise that... I thought this was about a doughnut-shaped minor OT prophet. My apologies.

See, NOW I'm happy. First because comet is a way better choice than whatever bickering you've had going on. Second because you just referenced one of the best songs.
Yes, who can forget that song...

Yellow matter custard dripping from a dead dog's eye
Crabalocker fishwife pornographic priestess
Boy you been a naughty girl, you let your knickers down
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the doughnut-shaped minor OT prophet, goo goo goo Job

It's just catchy.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Happy for you, and I am sure that I hate you.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
just how domesticated are you now?

Pretty fucking domesticated, to be honest. My company E-class sports a pair of kid seats, and the aft half of the vehicle is stuffed with a surprising amount of kid detritus - regardless of how constantly I seem to be scooping it out.

I'm also half-heartedly selling my BMW motorcycle, primarily because most of the riding around PDX sucks, and I just don't have the time to make forays to windy roads like I used to.

Though, I do still have my extra-manly 1984 Toyota pickup (22R!), which is used pretty frequently to haul my Devinci Dixon up to the gnar.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Though, I do still have my extra-manly 1984 Toyota pickup (22R!), which is used pretty frequently to haul my Devinci Dixon up to the gnar.

I always suspected you were going downhill fast.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

RooK, you should be banned post haste for posting non-worksafe content. Seriously, my favorite obscure (can't get Devincis anywhere in the mid-Atlantic...well, except for the CaBi bikes they manufacture) mountain bike brand? Unfair. So unfair.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

I'm still a bit saddened that they now out-source for frames. I mean, it makes sense, as carbon forming is hard to develop independently. But I cherish my hydroformed aluminum bike partially because I know some Canuckistanni nerds made it all themselves.

And it's still light enough to hover.

orfeo

# 13878

It never was the cars (and guitars) that came between us.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I am learning so much about music, bikes and cars on this thread.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

About as much as you can learn about trains and boats and planes from the Dionne Warwick song of that title.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is a beautiful bike and a great shot RooK. Dual sport is as close as I've come to mountain.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

About as much as you can learn about trains and boats and planes from the Dionne Warwick song of that title.
You can learn lots of plant names from what is arguably Tori's most bizarre song. [Big Grin]

EDIT: Though without a good pair of speakers/headphones you might find it's easier to read the lyrics instead.

[ 04. December 2014, 10:35: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That... is pretty hot.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
and I get flack for raising something edumacational around here!

Tori Amos! Seriously! Tori Amos!

Out of the whole spectrum of poor singers and "bands" with a bit of a back-catalogue to hate, you pick Tori Amos?

I thought you had class!

well, I'll see your Tori fucking boring no-name - Amos and raise your paedophile extraordinaire Michael Jackson.

Now he is worth slagging off.

Or Miss Amy Whine-house, - the diva of the underprivileged, under-represented, angst ridden tossers who used to hang around the local Spar of an evening. The voice of... oh, I don't know... glue-sniffing or having kids to get a council flat or something.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
and I get flack for raising something edumacational around here!

Actually you get flak for not having a clue. About spelling, about viable topics for Hell threads, about hosting changes that happened absolutely ages ago, or about the context here.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Yeah, comet hasn't been a host since last Ash Wednesday. There's cluelessness, and then there's that.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, Comet will always be a Host. The title is superfluous.
All of the kudos, none of the responsibilities.
If you disagree, you tell her...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Oh Patdys. Dear, naive Patdys. The conversation would go something like this.

orfeo: Comet, you're no longer a Host.

comet: Damn straight! YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!!

Whether or not comet is a badass who can make lesser Shipmates quake in their boots is an entirely separate question.

[ 05. December 2014, 02:38: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Ben Folds and the Adelaide symphony orchestra. That is all. (interval)

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Nearly caught him in Sydney a few days after Tori. He was once her support act, you know. Probably the best support act she ever had.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, looks like I've been away too long. looks like the damn hockey puck has gone soft, like a suburban father, which he should be of course.

I hate Tori Amos except for that one song ---"Cornflake Girl" so I'm very sad that I have to be sort of an agreement to this thread. It would be nice if he would have posted he hates Duran Duran or something like that cuz then I could have really done a better job doing my second post on ship of fools in 2015...

[ETA: CORN FLAKES.]

[ 02. January 2015, 23:37: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Oh, yawn. I do love it when people turn up to mention the only Tori Amos song they know. Especially when they say "I hate Tori Amos except for the only song I can remember".

You could at least make the effort to tell me how much you hate Silent All These Years, or Winter, or Crucify, or God, or Caught A Lite Sneeze, or Spark, to at least give me some sign that you actually know enough to distinguish Cornflake Girl as the particular song you like out of the ones you heard on the radio in the 1990s.

But no. We remember one song. It was a hit and had an easy to remember title. But the other 234 original compositions I've currently got on an iTunes playlist? You hate 'em all. And let's not get you started on the covers, right?

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

I do so love to see orfeo's automagical push-button winder-upper working so flawlessly.

Perhaps we can break the news to him that Tori Amos would most likely hate his guts should she ever accidentally suffer his company...?

orfeo

# 13878

Last time I saw her, she gave me a hug. I swear.

Also, if you think this thread is "winding me up"... it's more like a favourite chew toy. I get to combine the snarkiness of being a permanent resident of Hell with talking about one of my very favourite subjects AND almost certainly knowing more about that subject than anyone else around here.

[ 03. January 2015, 07:55: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

[pats orfeo on head]
Sure, big fella. It's OK.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016