homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Ship of Fools Book Group -2017 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools Book Group -2017
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A new thread for a new year.

This is the book group programme so far for 2017.

January - 'Golden Hill' led by Dafyd
February - 'The Rabbit Back Literary Society' led by Fineline
March - 'Boneland' led by Tubbs
April- 'Cotillion' led by Brenda Clough (Is April OK?)
May - 'After Atlas' led by Jane R

If you haven't joined in with the book group before it works like this. Someone leads the group for the month, posting up a thread about the book at the beginning of the month and some questions for discussion on or around the 20th. If you want to discuss wider issues sorrounding the authors work, feel free to do so. We had some interesting discussions about P.G. Wodehosue and Dorothy L. Sayers last year for instance.

January's discussion will be opening shortly, but in the meantime I was wondering about poetry. Have we ever discussed a poetry book and is it soemthing people would be interested in?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bumping up so the thread don't sink!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Tree Bee.
Any more suggestions? I'm reading A Wizard of Earthsea at the moment. Have we ever discussed it?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That one is a classic.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have we thought about The Essex Serpent, by Sarah Perry?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, I'd like an excuse to read The Essex Serpent.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thik I agree about The Essex Serpent . I know nothing about it, but it keeps on popping up as a suggested read on my Kindle.
I was also wondering about Not Forgetting the Whale , a book everyone in my family has enjoyed.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think on the old thread I suggested Emma Donoghue's "The Wonder," if anyone is interested. Interesting historical fiction with some intriguing reflection on faith, skepticism, and miracles.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just ordered the Feb. book, so hope to join in!
[Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Trudy Scrumptious, Apologies for me forgetting about The Wonder. It sounds something that I'd for one would enjoy reading. Are you free to lead on it sometime later in the year?
In other news I've put The Essex Serpent on my to read list. Has anyone read it yet?

BTW the programme for the year so far is as follows:

January - 'Golden Hill' led by Dafyd - open now
April- 'Cotillion' led by Brenda Clough (Is April OK?)

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I'm quite happy to lead a discussion on The Wonder anytime we can fit it into the schedule.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

How about June for The Wonder, if that's OK?

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

Yes, that works for me.

--------------------
Books and things.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am good with April for COTILLION, btw.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

So the updated programme for the year so far is:

April- 'Cotillion' led by Brenda Clough
June - 'Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious.

All the talk of Georgette Heyer set me off on a Georgette Heyer kick btw. With what's hapening in the world at the moment romances set in georgian England seem a pretty good escape

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up a tad. Any more ideas out there. I've downloaded The Essex Serpent but it hasn't grabbed me so far, anyone else got any thoughts on it?

--------------------

Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

- Posted      Profile for Not Too Bad   Email Not Too Bad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to clarify that June is The Wonder not Wonder?
I don't mind leading another month- what is the criteria?

--------------------
Suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones

Posts: 779 | From: Norfolk | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks for catching out I'd got the title of The Wonder wrong Not Too Bad. Corrected list below

February - 'The Rabbit Back Literary Society' led by Fineline now open
June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious.

Leading the group for a month is pretty straightforward. Open a thread at the start of the month, and then post some qustions about the book on or around the 20th. Extra discussions about the author, links to interesting information about the book etc are welocme but not essential.
Do you have a book you fancy discussing?

--------------------

Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

- Posted      Profile for Not Too Bad   Email Not Too Bad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm currently reading The Buried Giant and would lead on that if it's OK?

--------------------
Suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

"The Buried Giant" is a book I've been intrigued by for awhile and would probably actually get around to reading if we were doing it for book club.

--------------------
Books and things.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

The Buried Giant sounds intriguing, and it would make me read Ishiguro an author I've never gotten to grips with (though I did once spot him in my local bookshop).
Would July suit you Not Too Bad, or would you prefer sometime a bit later in the year?

--------------------

Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

July is ideal for me yes! I am looking forward to it!

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I'm glad July is good for you, Not Too Bad. Amended programme below:

February - 'The Rabbit Back Literary Society' led by Fineline now open
June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious.
July - 'The Buried Giant' led by Not Too Bad.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up. Any more ideas for books to read?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am grinding through a batch of books that I am sure nobody else wants to read. This includes Abode of Love, a memoir written by the granddaughter of the Agapemone guy who declared he was Jesus Christ. And a biography of a woman who joined the Mormons and moved to Salt Lake City in 1840. And Oneida: From Free Love Utopia to the Well-Set Table, a history of the New York utopian community. Essentially, anything about sex cults in the 19th century and I am in; suggestions welcome.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Mr Wroe's Virgins?

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I am grinding through a batch of books that I am sure nobody else wants to read. This includes Abode of Love, a memoir written by the granddaughter of the Agapemone guy who declared he was Jesus Christ. And a biography of a woman who joined the Mormons and moved to Salt Lake City in 1840. And Oneida: From Free Love Utopia to the Well-Set Table, a history of the New York utopian community. Essentially, anything about sex cults in the 19th century and I am in; suggestions welcome.

I have read 'Abode of love'. Its fascinating

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up before it sails over the horizon. Keep those suggestions coming!

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

As I've mentioned on the Lost in a Good Book Thread I've just read 'The Wicked Boy' by Kate Summersclae and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in it as a book group pick?
Like all her books it combines detailed research with excellent writing and there are lots of themes in the book that I think would be worth exploring. What do you think?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would be in on this. (Still writing a historical set in the 1870s, everything in period is grist to the mill)

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Yes I find Kate Summerscale's (sorry I mangled her name above) books really good for giving me period detail for the Victorian stuff I write.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Yes I find Kate Summerscale's (sorry I mangled her name above) books really good for giving me period detail for the Victorian stuff I write.

(pricks up ears) What do you wrote? PM if you like.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

So do people fancy The Wicked Boy? Another thought is The Poisonwood Bible that was mentioned on the general book thread recently. I'd never read it, though I remember my mother-in-law prasing it when it came out, so I thought I'd read it now. If we haven't discussed it already i think it would make a good Ship's Book Group choice.
Any other ideas - we could probably do with something light-hearted if anyone's got any ideas.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Any more ideas? As you can see we are beginning to run out of books!

The Programme at the monet
June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious - Discussion now open
July - 'The Buried Giant' led by Not Too Bad - Coming along shortly.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I began The Wicked Boy but lost interest about midway through (the asylum was not v. interesting) and gave it back to the library.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. There's been a buzz about this book and I can see why.
Anyone else fancy this one?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I read The Essex Serpent earlier in the year to see what the fuss was about. Some interesting themes, but I wasn't altogether convinced. However it could be an interesting book group read. Could you lead it Tree Bee and if so when?
Sorry you gave up on The Wicked Boy, Brenda Clough,
the ending was very thought provoking.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
I read The Essex Serpent earlier in the year to see what the fuss was about. Some interesting themes, but I wasn't altogether convinced. However it could be an interesting book group read. Could you lead it Tree Bee and if so when?

I could give it a go! Is September OK?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Tree Bee - September sounds ideal for The Essex Serpent. Anyone got any ideas for August?

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Tree Bee - September sounds ideal for The Essex Serpent. Anyone got any ideas for August?

I'll put it on my calendar as I might forget. I've been rather out of the SOF book thread habit. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks Tree Bee.

The programme now looks like this

June - 'The Wonder' led by Trudy Scrumptious - Discussion still open
July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open. Anyone else ither than me joining in?
August -????????????
September - 'The Essex Serpent' led by Tree Bee

I'll have a think about August but other suggestions welcome.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's one I've been thinking of leading: "Worldwalk", by Steven M. Newman.

From the GoodReads listing:

quote:
Worldwalk
by Steven M. Newman
4.2 Rating · 122 Ratings · 17 Reviews
At age 28, the author set out from Ohio to walk the world to prove to himself that there were good people throughout it. With no sponsorship, meager funds, and with luggage on his back, he spent four years traversing 20 countries on foot. Photos, maps, index.

It's a really good read, and reviews bear that out. I read it long ago, and still have my copy around, somewhere.

Poked around online, and it looks easy to obtain: Amazon from several countries, aLibris, Powell's, e-book formats.

I'm thinking maybe November?

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thank you for your suggestion Golden Key. it sounds a good read and a bit different from other things we've read lately.

Programme for the rest of the year
July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open. Anyone else other than me joining in?
August -????????????
October -????????
November - 'Worldwalk' led by Golden Key

I was wondering about a children's classic for August. How do people feel about reading 'The Secret Garden'?
More suggestions welcome.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would do THE SECRET GARDEN. It's the most popular Burnett today what with the musical and the TV dramatization -- would it be worth considering one of her other works? THE LOST PRINCE or THE SHUTTLE are probably available on Gutenberg, and A LITTLE PRINCESS is perennial.
But it'd have to be in Oct. I'm on travel all through September and my internet may be intermittent.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I'm for "Secret Garden", Sarasa. [Smile]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd be interested in reading The Essex Serpent, but that doesn't mean I'll actually read it in time to discuss it. (I've only just bought Wonder with The Essex Serpent)

Another suggestion for a summer read is something like Mary Stewart's My Brother Michael or another of her classics?

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I've read Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, which left me unsatisfied on several counts, although the story did "reverberate in the mind" as the critics describe it. It also didn't encourage me to pick up another of his books, particularly not another set in England.

Secret Garden I've read enough times to be able to discuss without rereading it.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks for the sugestion of Mary Stewart, Curiosity Killed. I really enjoyed her Merlin trilogy, which I read when it first came out, but don't think I've read much (if any) of her other.s Can I put you down for 'My Cousin Michael' in August?

Brenda Clough - I'll put you down for 'The Secret Garden' in October, but feel free to mention Burnett's other books in the discussion.

So the programme, tentively, looks like this for the next few months.

Programme for the rest of the year
July - 'The Buried Giant' - Thread now open.
August -'My Cousin Michael' led by Curiosity Killed(?)
October -'The Secret Garden' led by Brenda Clough
November - 'Worldwalk' led by Golden Key

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I knew I shouldn't have stuck my head above the parapet. I have added My Brother Michael to the Kindle as I'm not sure I've read it and will lead it in August.

(This is the second attempt to post this - I started then stopped to double check that it really is My Brother Michael

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks CK. I looked My Brother Michael up and if you get too busy I could probably lead it as it looks like my sort of book.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016