homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2016 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, here goes, then. The rules are pretty much the same as ever:

1. You must pick up to 13 well-known people who you think will shuffle off this mortal coil in 2016. That is, starting from 00.01 UTC (GMT, really) on January 1st 2016 and ending at 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2016, as determined by the United States Naval Observatory.

2. The definition of "well-known" is that their deaths will be reported by at least one major news outlet. Examples outlets include (but are not limited to) The Guardian, CNN, IMDB, Al Jezeera and the Church Times.

3. All selections must be real natural born people. No fictional characters, abstract entities or "corporate persons" will be accepted.

4. Points are awarded according to the following formula: 100 minus the celebrity's age at the time of death. For example, if the person you choose dies at the age of 67 you will earn 33 points. Should you pick someone who is 100 years old when they die you will receive no points; should your person be over 100 you will lose points.

5. You earn 50 bonus points if the death occurs in such a way as to clearly prove the existence of God (for example, if some doofus dies from burns after trying to torch a church) or in such a way that a Darwin Award is granted posthumously. Of course, by definition all Darwin Awards are granted posthumously.

6. You cannot choose anyone under the age of 18.

7. You can choose an inmate scheduled to be executed but you only earn points if the person dies by some means other than the state-sponsored execution. For example, a shiv in the stomach counts; lethal injection does not.

8. You are disqualified if you contribute in any way to the death of one of your chosen candidates. Exceptions will be made if you are a police officer or member of the armed services and kill someone in the line of duty.

9. All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2015. No entries will be accepted after this time. No exceptions - you've got nearly a month, after all. You may make changes to your list up until this time but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year or if you've put someone in twice. Surprisingly this does sometimes happen.

There are also some bonus awards:
Inside Track with the Grim Reaper Award: given for picking the first death of 2016.
Quantity Not Quality Award: given for picking the most people who croak in 2016, regardless of their points value.
Sudden Death: given for picking the last death of 2015.
Why Does it Always Happen to Me: given to the person who changes the most 2015 picks who then die in 2016. To qualify for this award you must have entered lists for both years.

Because this has been running for a number of years there are several questions and complaints in people's minds which may or may not get said out loud so here's the disclaimer. This is only a game. The Ship, its management and their associated lackeys do not necessarily endorse the death any human being. One should not necessarily view this as a "wish list"; reviewing past years will show that truly evil and nasty dictators seem to have a habit of lingering while those figures we truly respect and admire often don't. The Circus is a place for games, not discussion of the rights or wrongs of those games; if you want to discuss the ethics of this one there are other places you can do that. Personally one of the things I like about this game is the positive things that are said about all manner of people who die, whether they are on someone's list or not.

There are no prizes although all winners will be entitled to place a bragging comment in their sig.

I will keep records through the year and will occasionally post scores and other interesting facts.

Good luck to all players and bad luck to your nominees!

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • 1 Bashir Al Assad
  • 2 Mary Berry
  • 3 Patrcia Routledge
  • 4 Mary Archer
  • 5 Sepp Blatter
  • 6 Donald Trump
  • 7 Elvis Presley
  • 8 Mike Tyson
  • 9 Peter Suttcliffe
  • 10 Joan Bakewell
  • 11 Queen Elizabeth II
  • 12 Oscar Pistorious
  • 13 Brittany Spears

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I am pointless [take it any way you want] I'll opt for the same as last year:

1. Rupert Murdoch.

2. General Than Shwe.

3. L K Advani.

4. Narendra Modi.

5. Newt Gingrich.

6. Jean Marie LePen.

7. Robert Mugabe.

8. Raj Thackeray.

9. Pat Robertson.

10. Elizabeth Windsor-Mountbatten

11. Mitt Romney.

12. Gerry Adams.

13. Philip Mountbatten.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

7 Elvis Presley

I think, officially, according to the rules of this game, he is already dead.

I believe, to enter this competition, he would have to be officially declared not dead first. But I am not the arbiter of acceptability.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rules don't specify that all your choices must be alive at the start of the year and, indeed, the fact that one of them is already dead is the only grounds for making any changes. However, including a person in such a state does reduce your chances of success by the end of 2016.

Perhaps Doublethink is hoping that the various crackpot ideas that he isn't actually dead are correct but that he will emerge and die (again) next year. This is a high risk strategy and I do wonder if the potential gain of just nineteen points is worth that risk.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Death comes to the Ship (Uncle Pete’s version)

The same list as last year, minus one (belatedly claimed on 2015 thread) I added the Last Trump.

HM The Queen
HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
The Right Hon. The Countess Mountbatten of Burma
Sir John Major
HH The Pope Emeritus
HH The Pope Francis
Dalai Lama
Robert Mugabe
Peter Mansbridge
Lloyd Robertson
Jean Chretien
George Herbert Walker Bush
Donald Trump

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
The rules don't specify that all your choices must be alive at the start of the year and, indeed, the fact that one of them is already dead is the only grounds for making any changes. However, including a person in such a state does reduce your chances of success by the end of 2016.

Perhaps Doublethink is hoping that the various crackpot ideas that he isn't actually dead are correct but that he will emerge and die (again) next year. This is a high risk strategy and I do wonder if the potential gain of just nineteen points is worth that risk.

I like to live on the edge.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ditching the theme and going for those I consider halfway likely.

1. Donald Trump
2. Robert Mugabe
3. Pete Doherty
4. Keith Richards
5. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
6. Khloe Kardashian
7. Alex Ferguson
8. Marcus Trescothick
9. Stephen Hawking
10. Silvio Berlusconi
11. George W Bush
12. Vladimir Putin
13. Paul Gascoigne

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hugh McElhenny
Anthony Hopkins
Avram Hershko
Sarah Miles
Alex Ferguson
Andy Summers
Ben Kingsley
Diane von Furstenberg
Pius Ncube
Tim Matheson
Burton Cummings
Rene Robert
Viktor Mikhailovich Afanasieyv

In case any of the above picks get nailed to the perch before 12/31/2015, I have alternates standing by.

Commentary, in order, for above

1)NFL player
2)“Well hello Clarice!” Arguably the best male English speaking actor
3)Israeli biochemist, Nobel laureate
4)She gave an inspired performance in Ryan's Daughter (1970) and appeared in The Servant.
5)Football manager who led Manchester United from 1986 to 2013, won the European cup twice, and became a knight in 1999.
6)Singer and guitarist with The Police and also has recorded more than ten solo albums.
7)He won a Best Actor Academy Award for his role in Gandhi in 1983.
8)International fashion designer, best known for her women’s wear and accessory lines.
9)Zimbabwean civil rights advocate, Roman Catholic archbishop
10)Actor who appeared in Animal House and provided voices for characters in TV's Johnny Quest.
11)Canadian lead singer of The Guess Who, credited with songs like "American Woman" and "These Eyes."
12)NHL player
13)Russian cosmonaut

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Justin Beiber
George Carey
Jeremy Clarkson
Michael Douglas
Bruce Forsyth
Rolf Harris
Katie Hopkins
Barry Manilow
Robert Mugabe
Ennio Morricone
Paul McCartney
Anne Robinson
Harry Styles

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert Mugabe
Bob Hawke
Paul Keating
Sister Wendy
Kirk Douglas
Zayn Malik
Bono
Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Ivan Milat
Joanna Lumley
Ken Livingstone
Peter Robinson
Gerry Adams

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, same baseball-themed list as last year, but substituting for the one correct name I had in 2015 (Yogi Berra, RIP). Birth years after the name.

1. Bobby Doerr (1918)
2. Red Schoendienst (1923)
3. Tommy Lasorda (1927)
4. Jim Bunning (1931)
5. Henry "Hank" Aaron (1934)
6. Bill Mazeroski (1936)
7. Brooks Robinson (1937)
8. Willie McCovey (1938)
9. Gaylord Perry (1938)
10. Steve "Lefty" Carlton (1944)
11. Rod Carew (1945)
12. Mike Schmidt (1949)
13. Cal Ripken, Jr. (1960)

The new name is Rod Carew. At the end of November it was announced that he needs a heart transplant. I am hoping that, by naming him, I can give him the kiss of life.

If, however, he should shuffle off this mortal coil before 2016 dawns, then my backup name will be Nolan Ryan (1947).

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year, I'm going for the Why Does it Always Happen to Me award, so am having a complete change. This year's kiss of life therefore goes to:

1. Jimmy Carter (former American president)
2. Harper Lee (author)
3. Vera Lynn (Forces' sweetheart)
4. Guy Martin (tv presenter and motorbike racer)
5. Jurgen Moltmann (theologian)
6. Prunella Scales (actress)
7. James Randi (former magician, professional debunker)
8. Baroness Trumpington (grumpy Conservative peer)
9. Max von Sydow (actor)
10. Jimmy Greaves (former footballer)
11. Desmond Tutu (owner of the most infectious laugh ever)
12. James Watson (co-discoverer of DNA)
13. Frank Williams (actor most famous as the vicar from Dad's Army)

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent> I have a soft spot for Baroness Trumpington - as I have said before not many people get offered a bath by a lady peer! She certainly is grumpy sometimes in public but she is a complete sweetie - despite her appalling political views. </tangent>

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sipech, on another board where I also play a Death Pool I have three of your names, Vera Lynn, Desmond Tutu, and Max von Sydow. I am firmly convinced that my choice of Lynn is what is keeping her alive.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of those whose list has meant the kiss of life for all 13 on my list in 2015, so I may as well recycle it for 2016 too.

1. Robert Mugabe.
2. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
3. Prince Harry.
4. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.
5. Donald Trump.
6. Brad Pitt.
7. Sir Alex Ferguson.
8. Macaulay Culkin.
9. Robbie Shepherd (Scottish broadcasting legend - definitely hoping this is the kiss of life...)
10. Queen Elizabeth II.
11. Ion Iliescu (former president of Romania).
12. Anne Widdecombe.
13. Nigel Farage.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine are all carried forward from last year:

1) Ringo Starr
2) Keith Richards
3) Rolf Harris
4) Pele
5) Baroness Trumpington
6) Bruce Forsyth
7) George H W Bush
8) Prince Phillip
9) Mark “The Undertaker” Calaway
10) Tracey Emin
11) Brian Matthew
12) Paul Gambaccini
13) Jimmy Tarbuck

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After fewer points than Jemini, I'm going to change a few names.

1. Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
2. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
3. Salah Abdeslam
4. HRH The Prince of Wales
5. HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
6. Michael J Fox
7. Charlie Sheen
8. The Lord Howard of Lympne
9. The Lord Kinnock
10. Alex Salmond MSP
11. Muhammad Ali
12. Shia LaBoeuf
13. HM King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, here goes with my usual mix of "kiss-of-life" and "why-isn't-he-dead-yet" - I'll leave you to decide which is which:

1. HM Queen Elizabeth II
2. HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
3. His Holiness Pope Francis
4. Robert Mugabe
5. Gerry Adams
6. Kim Jong-un
7. Dr. Francis Jackson (Organist Emeritus, York Minster)
8. Sir Bob Geldof
9. Michael J. Fox
10. Martina Navratilova
11. Pete Doherty
12. Justin Bieber
13. Lindsay Lohan

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since my last year's list is perfectly unused, I shall roll it out again. These are the lucky ones, aren't they?

Lindsay Lohan
Dick Cheney
Muhammad Ali
Charlie Sheen
Valerie Harper
Aaron Hernandez
Justin Bieber
Rob Ford
Burt Reynolds
Margaret O'Brien
Frankie Muniz
Wilko Johnson
Sam Simon

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. HM The Queen
2. Prince Phillip
3. Jimmy Carter (yes, I know, good scan, but he's still 90 something)
4. George H. W. Bush
5. Donald Trump
6. Barack Obama (5 & 6 because my country has gone mad)
7. Desmond Tutu
8. Vladimir Putin
9. Michael J. Fox
10. Fidel Castro
11. Betty White
12. Harper Lee
13. Walter Mondale

[ 09. December 2015, 20:03: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't played this game for awhile but I've decided to try a novel approach this year:

1. Kim Kardashian
2. Kourtney Kardashian
3. Khloe Kardashian
4. Kris Jenner
5. Kylie Jenner
6. Kendall Jenner
7. Kris Jenner
8. Caitlyn Jenner
9. Kanye West
10. Rob Kardashian
11. Lamar Odom

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

Trudy you only have ten people on your list. You posted eleven names but Kris Jenner is a duplicate.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, so I did. I didn't mean to imply that I expected her to die twice, or anything. There are, indeed, only ten unique names on the list. Those names all blur together after awhile.

[ 09. December 2015, 21:06: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Ah, so I did. I didn't mean to imply that I expected her to die twice, or anything. There are, indeed, only ten unique names on the list. Those names all blur together after awhile.

You can also add another three names of people you really want to die this next year. Which is, I assume, the principle behind your list.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:

You can also add another three names of people you really want to die this next year. Which is, I assume, the principle behind your list.
No, the rules say "up to" 13 and I'm fine with 10. I don't want to start adding people whose connection with the Kardashians is tenuous at best.

And I don't actually WANT them to die, though I'd love it if they all entered a religious order in which they had to take a vow of silence and a vow never to be photographed or appear on video again. I just thought clustering my picks around a single family might produce an interesting result -- increase the odds that one out of that clan might not see 2017 (Lamar is the likeliest choice, obviously, at this point). Of course if there was a katastrophe on the set of Keeping up with the Kardashians, imagine the points I'd make!!

--------------------
Books and things.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few changes:

1. Benedict, Pope Emeritus
2. Mamnoon Hussain
3. Valerie Harper
4. Fidel Castro
5. Rip Torn
6. Mary Tyler Moore
7. Bret Michaels
8. Stephen Hawking
9. Glen Campbell
10. Bashar al-Assad
11. Phil Lesh
12. Kim Jong-un
13. Fuad Masum

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only one of mine croaked last year, so only one change.

Windsor Davies
Tommy Steel
Prince Philip
Barry Humphries
Caroline Aherne
Ken Dodd
Bruce Forsyth
Prince Charles
Nicholas Parsons
Lemmy
Billy Connolly
June Whitfield
Roy Hudd

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that I took a regular off who decided to spite me by carking it, and my reserve died as well, both giving me nul points as a result, I think I'm going to have to do a Uriel and trawl the news pages...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Jimmy Carter

2. Prince Philip

3. Stephen Hawking

4. David Attenborough

5. Bruce Forsythe

6. Cliff Richard

7. Peter Alliss

8. John Madden

9. Norman Tebbitt

10. John Paul Stevens

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Given that I took a regular off who decided to spite me by carking it, and my reserve died as well, both giving me nul points as a result, I think I'm going to have to do a Uriel and trawl the news pages...

AG

That sort of dedication gives this game a bad name.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. The Queen
2. Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
3. Imran Khan
4. Jacob Zuma
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Joseph Kony
7. Lewis Hamilton
8. Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Mansour
9. Abu Muslim al-Turkmani
10. Abu Ali al-Anbar
11. Paul Gascoigne
12. Colin Meads
13. Joseph Ratzinger

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

1. Billy Graham
2. Pope Emeritus Benedict
3. HM Queen Elizabeth II
4. Paul Gascoigne
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Lemmy Kilmister (Motorhead)
7. Michael Crawford
8. Martin Landau
9. Prince Philip
10. Stephen Hawking
11. Dick Van Dyke
12. Bernard Cribbins
13. Bruce Forsyth

I think they are still all alive. I do seem to be very good at finding the resilient ones.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

OI! I resemble that remark!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The year I hoped that my list would give the kiss of life to people I liked was the year I won. I am really not sure it works as a tactic.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not usually a denizen of The Circus, but...

1. Billy Graham
2. Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
3. Princess Michael of Kent
4. Olivia deHallivand
5. Nancy Reagan
6. Jonathan Rhys Meyers (played Henry VIII in The Tudors)
7. John Hurt
8. Caroline Aherne
9. George Michael
10. Prince Andrew
11. Alex Ferguson
12. Burt Bacharach
13. George Bush senior

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm....need to replace one. Most of these people are getting up there.

1. Steve Guttenberg (bad actor)
2. Robert Mugabe
3. Burt Bacharach
4. Stephen Sondheim
5. Andre Previn
6. Duke of Edinburgh
7. Charles Aznavour
8. Shane MacGowan (Pogues front man)
9. Charles Taylor (Liberian bad dude)
10. James Spader
11. James Caan
12. Shane Warne
13. Edward Schreyer (former Governor General of Canada)

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

That's actually not my favorite way of finding my people, but I think this game will be rather less fun if there are declared bad ways to play and good ones.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

It was only a joke. A reflection on the fact that most people don't make huge efforts to find people they think will win.

People can play however they want.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Queen Elizabeth
Prince Phillip
Bruce Forsyth
Peter Sallis (Wallace)
Desmond Tutu
Kim Jong-un
Mohammed Ali
Elton John
Stephen Hawking
Billy Connolly
Billy Graham
Shirley Bassey

Some I'd be pleased to get points for, some I'd be sad to get points for

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rabbi Lionel Blue
Halaevalu Mata'aho 'Ahome'e (Tonga's Queen Mother)
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi,
Sister Wendy Beckett
Little Richard
Fr Lazarus El-Anthony (Coptic monk and anchorite)
Leonard Casley (Prince of Hutt River Province micro-nation)
Archbishop Desmond Tutu
Eric Lubbock, Lord Avebury
Chuck Blazer (Banned FIFA executive)
Howard Marks
Jakucho Setouchi (Japanese author & nun)
Jenny Diski

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brian Blessed
Val Kilmer
Robbie Coltrane
Clive James
Prunella Scales
John Hurt
Liz Dawn
Phil Spector
Paul Gascoigne
Nichelle Nichols
Rob Ford
Muhammed Ali
Billy Connolly

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last few years, have only remembered about putting a list up on 1st Jan....this year have remembered earlier. Random, male heavy list from me.

Prince Philip
Justin Timberlake
Bear Grylls
Donald Trump
Jimmy Carter
Hugh Jackman
Nigel Garage
Pope Francis
Alex Salmond
Geoffrey Boycott
Willie Nelson
Mary Berry
Nigel Lawson

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year’s lone casualty has been replaced. The others can ride because I’m too lazy to think of anyone else.

1. King Mswati III of Swaziland
2. Fidel Castro
3. Hosni Mubarak
4. Mullah Fazlullah
5. King Bhumibol of Thailand
6. Silvio Berlusconi
7. Than Shwe
8. Islam Karimov
9. Nursultan Nazarbayev
10. George Bush Snr

A few non-despotic picks:

11. Michael Douglas
12. Ben Jonson (Olympic cheat and famous anabolic steroid abuser - bad for the heart)
13. Peter Stringfellow (long shot - but I personally have a theory that he's dead already and just hasn't stopped moving about)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having drawn a blank this year I've replaced half of my names:

1 Coltrane, Robbie
2 Douglas, Michael
3 Fox, Michael J
4 Franklin, Aretha
5 Hallenga, Kristin
6 Jackson, Janet
7 James, Clive
8 John, Elton
9 Marks, Howard
10 Maynard, Bill
11 Minnelli , Liza
12 Robbins, Ted
13 Spector, Phil

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Princess Alexandra
2. Muhammed Ali
3. President Assad
4. Johan Cruyff
5. Miley Cyrus
6. Paul Gascoigne
7. Stephen Hawking
8. Clive James
9. Nigella Lawson
10. Jamie Oliver
11. Vladimir Putin
12. Pope Benedict
13. Donald Trump

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Lemmy on my list for 2016. What do I do now?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

You nominate a replacement. I will replace him with Boy George.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I had Lemmy on my list for 2016. What do I do now?

quote:
All entries must be submitted on this thread no later than 23.59 UTC on December 31st 2015. No entries will be accepted after this time. No exceptions - you've got nearly a month, after all. You may make changes to your list up until this time but only if someone pops their clogs before the beginning of the year or if you've put someone in twice. Surprisingly this does sometimes happen.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well, I've gone for a bit of "half and half", replacing 6 of my regulars with someone else, tempted by the newer award.
In the end, this probably means I'm saving 19 people from death instead of just 13
I've included the names of the substitutions to make it easier to track:
1. Buzz Aldrin
2. Ursula Andress
3. Sir Stirling Moss (was Bernie Ecclestone, but I'm fed up giving him a kiss of life. He'll probably die in 2017 once I've removed him completely)
4. Ringo Starr (was Robert Downey Jr).
5. Lou Ferrigno
6. Aretha Franklin
7. Elliott Gould
8. Michael Crawford - "Oooh, Betty"- (was Shane McGowan)
9. Scott Glenn (was Gary Numan)
10. Rustie Lee (was Delia Smith)
11. Adam West
12. Paul Gadd - Gary Glitter - (was Roy Wood)
13. Stanley Baxter

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016