homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Flags and national anthems (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Flags and national anthems
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
(When I occasionally officiate at Matins, which is mostly attended by the staff, prior to the Sunday Eucharist, I never use the prayers for Queen and Royal Family. Is Outrage, I know, so sue me...).

IJ

Hardly anyone does the state rayers - in any case, if you're following with a mass you can end at he 3rd collect.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously though the lack of a proper national anthem does nothing to engender any sense of identity.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@leo, you are quite right, but our Matins is FWIW stand-alone - 930am Matins, 1030am Eucharist, with 35-40 minutes in between the two.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Gee D, I did not say the Queen is the symbol of national identity on this side of the pond (are you on the same side as us, in fact?), I deliberately said 'the Crown'. My country is the United Kingdom, after all; the Commonwealth is part of The Commonwealth, after all, of which the Queen is the head (for the time being). Perhaps you could tell us what is your symbol of national identity.

No, I am on the western side of a pond larger than the Atlantic.

I took your point about Queen/Crown. Whichever way you put it, neither is a symbol of national identity. Nor is the flag although there's no real support for moves to change it. It is extremely hard to think of one. For Madame and me, it is the land itself, although not in the same manner as for the ancient peoples. They belong to the land, where they were born shapes them and describes them. It is not as if the land belongs to them. But saying that the land is for us is not to say that it is for many others. Perhaps it's Anzac Day.

[ 01. October 2017, 20:49: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Once, when a group of us were touring Communist Hungry, one night we decided to take the flag that was in the square of the village plaza.

"Take it"? You mean you decided to steal it?
quote:
The next morning, as we were leaving the town, the police stopped us and wanted to search through all our luggage. Fortunately, we had a lot of luggage and our guide was very astute. He convinced the police to search a few bags at random. The ones they picked did not have the flag (I distinctly remember they picked a bag that was next to the one that actually had it in it). We were some lucky Americans that day.

Lucky thieves. I don't see how your being American enters into it (unless you feel lucky that the police didn't discover that on this occasion American behavior was exactly as shitty as they suspected.)
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gotta go with Dave W. on this one.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something which has never been explained to me: why do we play the national anthem at all at some sporting events? Specifically, why bother if the teams or the players are all from the same country anyway? Which sports and what level of competition require an anthem?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not me. Dave is being too heavy-handed, although if he happens to be a nostalgic Hungarian Communist I will withdraw my criticism.

It sounds like Gramps and his fellow travelers* were out on a college-style lark. It's on the same level of criminality as daubing an advertising billboard with a political slogan.

*titter

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Something which has never been explained to me: why do we play the national anthem at all at some sporting events? Specifically, why bother if the teams or the players are all from the same country anyway? Which sports and what level of competition require an anthem?

I don't think they do it for the Cricket (Test Cricket you heathens). That might be because everyone's anthem was God Save the Queen until India achieved nationhood... (don't bother checking that, its probably wrong).

--------------------
Human

romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Once, when a group of us were touring Communist Hungry, one night we decided to take the flag that was in the square of the village plaza.

"Take it"? You mean you decided to steal it?
quote:
The next morning, as we were leaving the town, the police stopped us and wanted to search through all our luggage. Fortunately, we had a lot of luggage and our guide was very astute. He convinced the police to search a few bags at random. The ones they picked did not have the flag (I distinctly remember they picked a bag that was next to the one that actually had it in it). We were some lucky Americans that day.

Lucky thieves. I don't see how your being American enters into it (unless you feel lucky that the police didn't discover that on this occasion American behavior was exactly as shitty as they suspected.)

Communism being equal to Liberty oriented systems and all, hell even better in a lot of ways!

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Not me. Dave is being too heavy-handed, although if he happens to be a nostalgic Hungarian Communist I will withdraw my criticism.

It sounds like Gramps and his fellow travelers* were out on a college-style lark. It's on the same level of criminality as daubing an advertising billboard with a political slogan.

*titter

So if I'm Hungarian, Gramps49's story is one of theft, but if I'm not, it isn't? This appears to be a variety of relativism with which I'm not familiar.

romanlion's relativism is more straightforward - theft is bad in principle (I assume he would agree), but not if you're an American in a communist country.

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

no, no. If you were emotionally connected to the situation, I would refrain from criticising you. That's all. I would seek to be understanding of your pain. I am a beautiful human being, I know. I sometimes move myself to tears. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

*titter

So if I'm Hungarian, Gramps49's story is one of theft, but if I'm not, it isn't? This appears to be a variety of relativism with which I'm not familiar.

romanlion's relativism is more straightforward - theft is bad in principle (I assume he would agree), but not if you're an American in a communist country.

Wasn't that what happened with that youngish American guy who was imprisoned in N. Korea, was released this year due to ill health, and who died after he got home? I think he took either a N. Korean flag or propaganda poster. NK Was Not Amused.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I suppose sports are a tribal activity and the anthem singing is part of its tribal nature, like wearing your team’s scarf?

I don’t know, I don’t support any team in any sport.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm not sure if there is an explanation - as discussed above, British non-international team sports generally are not opened with anthems. One exception in my experience is Ice Hockey, which is particularly ridiculous in the UK where a large proportion of the players are not British.

My assumption is that in the main it is left to crowds (and sometimes DJs who lead the crowds) to create the aural landscape at many sports. Those sports here which do habitually play the national anthem seem to be ones where the culture has been imported from North America.

--------------------
arse

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Hardly anyone does the state prayers - in any case, if you're following with a mass you can end at the 3rd collect.

That might explain why the country is in such a mess these days.

Praying for those in power isn't a statement that one thinks they are wonderful, that one supports them or that one believes a word they say. There's a good argument that it's those that are incompetent and worse who need prayer more. The rest of us are at their mercy.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Praying for those in power isn't a statement that one thinks they are wonderful, that one supports them or that one believes a word they say. There's a good argument that it's those that are incompetent and worse who need prayer more. The rest of us are at their mercy.

I have no problem praying for the Queen and the government - I'm praying that they'll not make more stupid decisions, that they'll face the consequences of their actions (in the case of the Tories) and that she'll quickly come to her senses and resign (in the case of the Queen).

I always think that the Queen certainly needs saving and that her councillors certainly need a bit of wisdom.

--------------------
arse

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop'a Finger, why do you refuse to pray for the Supreme Governor of your Church?
(I can't pursue this further now, I am about to leave for a week in Europe - I hope to be allowed back.)

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a good argument that it's those that are incompetent and worse who need prayer more. The rest of us are at their mercy.
Hence the excellent line from Lord Denning which was, until recently, a (Kiwi, I think) shipmate's sig:

The House of Commons starts its proceedings with a prayer. The chaplain looks at the assembled members with their varied intelligence and then prays for the country.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be looking for a better authority than Lord Denning.....

Be that as it may, I can remember the weekly praying for Elizabeth our Queen, Phillip Duke of Edinburgh, Charles Duke of Cornwall* and all the Royal Family. We can't have prayed hard enough for poor little Charles.

* That will give you an idea how long ago it was - well before he became Prince of Wales.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Eirenist (I know you're away, but just very quickly) - I omit the State Prayers because we've already prayed for the Queen in the Lesser Litany ('O Lord, save the Queen. And mercifully hear us when we call upon thee').

Also, we need to keep Matins brief, as various jobs (such as lifts to church for an elderly member of the assembly of faith) have to be done before the Eucharist.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do Matins from the book - state prayers and all, and the Litany is intoned during the penitential seasons.

posted by Bishops Finger
quote:
I omit the State Prayers because we've already prayed for the Queen in the Lesser Litany ... we need to keep Matins brief...
You must be saving at least 45 seconds by skipping the prayers for HM, The DoE, PoW and royal family.

[ 02. October 2017, 16:43: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, that's about right. Time well saved.

IJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Hardly anyone does the state prayers - in any case, if you're following with a mass you can end at the 3rd collect.

In which case, replace prayers for the queen and royal family (who have no power) with those for parliament.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Actually, what I usually do with the 45 seconds saved [Roll Eyes] is to pray extempore for those who will be coming into church that day, for worship or other pastoral reasons, and for our neighbouring parishes, before saying the Prayer for the Clergy and People. Given that we use Matins primarily as a 'staff' preparation for the Eucharist, that seems appropriate. Queen and Government etc. are usually prayed for during the Eucharist as well, of course.

IJ

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Our so-called national anthem doesn't mention the country at all. It's just a few lines of Monarchist sycophancy. I refuse to sing it. The line about "long to reign over us" particularly sticks in the craw when I'd love to wake up tomorrow to find we've shaken off this anachronism.

The trouble is, the British people wouldn't agree about what the replacement should be.

You want us to forget the anachronism of the monarchy; others would want the monarch to be given at least a passing mention.

Some would prefer to remove all religious references, but others would struggle against that.

Occasionally, someone proposes that 'Jerusalem' become our national anthem, but I don't think that's quite right either. No monarchy, but the religious references are problematic. Also, it references a city that's nowhere near England!

Maybe we could get around the problem by creating a specifically English anthem. There could be a competition to come up with suitable song.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

In which case, replace prayers for the queen and royal family (who have no power) with those for parliament.
The 1959/1962 Canadian BCP also asks that the GG and Lt Governors get endued with wisdom along with the legislators. The Book of Alternative Services gives no set prayers for the offices or the Eucharist, just a rubrical instruction to pray for the Queen and all in authority; occasional prayers for HM, authorities, and elections are on pp. 677ff for the curious. More attention gets paid to acknowledging the sometimes ceded sometimes unceded land upon which we stand.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Queen .....usually prayed for during the Eucharist as well, of course.
IJ

Well, I suppose we often pray for old people.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:

Except our so-called national anthem doesn't mention the country at all. It's just a few lines of Monarchist sycophancy. I refuse to sing it. The line about "long to reign over us" particularly sticks in the craw when I'd love to wake up tomorrow to find we've shaken off this anachronism.

In its defence, it's really a prayer set to music. Like God save the Emperor, which has much better music of course

I like the second verse, with confounding politics and especially frustrating knavish tricks. And how much the language has changed since it was written.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the English are looking to have a national anthem of their own and wondering where to start, they could do worse than look at the Welsh anthem (in translation of course) for inspiration. For those shippies not fortunate to have been born Welsh, it is about the land, language, culture and our preparedness to emulate our ancestors in its defence. The sentiment of pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad (I'm devoted to my land/country) is surely something most English people could share?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
If the English are looking to have a national anthem of their own and wondering where to start, they could do worse than look at the Welsh anthem (in translation of course) for inspiration. For those shippies not fortunate to have been born Welsh, it is about the land, language, culture and our preparedness to emulate our ancestors in its defence. The sentiment of pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad (I'm devoted to my land/country) is surely something most English people could share?

Sais ydw i, nid Cymro/I'm an Englishman, not a Welshman, but I find Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau easier to sing than God Save the Queen by milltir wlad/a country mile.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

I'd like to nominate Love Minus Zero/No Limit by Bob Dylan as the Planetary Anthem.

My reasons include:

1. It was written by a winner of the Nobel Prize;

2. It has no overt political or religious meaning;

3. Its about how you look at the person you love when you love them in the best way you can;

4. It is one of my favorite songs;

5. It's guaranteed to annoy Putin and Trump.

--------------------
Human

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Except for the name of the country I've always felt America the Beautiful was a good and pretty generic anthem for use in any country that has water boundaries and mountains.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked the idea of using Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land as our national anthem.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

Both great suggestions. I shall refrain from being silly for the moment in the hope that more good ones are proffered. Rest assured I am absolutely gagging to post something from This is Jinsy.

I wonder if changing "America" to "The Planet Earth" would make it universal?

--------------------
Human

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re "God Save The Queen":

[Biased] [Angel]

Here's a parody I learned as a kid. There's a UK listing for it, but this is the closest to what I learned:

quote:
"God Save the King" (Experience Project).

King George, he had a date,
He stayed out very late,
He was the king.

Queen Mary paced the floor,
King George came home at four,
She met him at the door,

God save the King!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've always liked the idea of using Woody Guthrie's This Land is Your Land as our national anthem.

The specific geographical references make it no good for anyone else to adopt.

Even without that the musical style is also a bit too nation-specific to be usable elsewhere.

[ 05. October 2017, 07:50: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to one of my favourite Big Finish Doctor Who audio adventures, the planet Earth already has an anthem. It’s “I Will Survive”.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sais ydw i, nid Cymro/I'm an Englishman, not a Welshman, but I find Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau easier to sing than God Save the Queen by milltir wlad/a country mile.

It's a very moving tune, isn't it? As are most Welsh songs, ISTM. I like the male voice choirs.

But I don't think singing about a shared culture would work in England, where there's so much diversity of culture. Singing about ancient warriors in the homeland of the British empire would be a problem.

References to natural beauty are inoffensive, though, and the English could also get mileage out of singing about poets, musicians, scientists, inventors, etc.

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

It's a very moving tune, isn't it? As are most Welsh songs, ISTM. I like the male voice choirs.

But I don't think singing about a shared culture would work in England, where there's so much diversity of culture. Singing about ancient warriors in the homeland of the British empire would be a problem.

References to natural beauty are inoffensive, though, and the English could also get mileage out of singing about poets, musicians, scientists, inventors, etc.

Ageing 2000AD readers may remember the Ghoyogian national anthem from DR and Quinch: "Ghoyogi, my Ghoyogi, home of the brave and free. Where greenish grey festoons of slime are hung from every tree."

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Though, seriously (no, not really) England could do worse than adopt the last lines of Gong's Flying Teapot

quote:
Originally written by a stoned hippy

Have a cup of tea, have another one, have a cup of tea
Have a cup of tea, have another one, have a cup of tea
Have a cup of tea, have another one, have a cup of tea...

High in the sky, what do you see?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Not too bad....

[Smile]

But you'd need to have at least a line in there about the now dominant appeal of coffee.

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Sounds like just about all national anthems then.

Why have a national anthem at all? Their main use is sporting events, and in my view the only appropriate way to begin one is with a whistle, except cricket, which should be begun with a polite round of applause.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

My Heart Belongs to Jinsy

--------------------
Human

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Even without that the musical style is also a bit too nation-specific to be usable elsewhere.

I used to hear a Canadian version of TLIYL, as a kid in the 1970s. The country was said to span `...from the Arctic Circle, to the Great Lake waters`. (Sorry, can`t get the quotation marks to work on this computer.)

Maybe we sang it in school, I`m not sure.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Svitlana ...

So Blake's Jerusalem references a city that is nowhere near England ...

Blimey, I thought Jamat was the literalist on these boards ...

You have heard of metaphor, I presume?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Back in the late 1960s the Young Liberals published a songbook including a 'Britishised' version of "This Land is Your Land; I regret I didn't keep my copy. Has anyone out there got those words???
Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
@Svitlana ...

So Blake's Jerusalem references a city that is nowhere near England ...

Blimey, I thought Jamat was the literalist on these boards ...

You have heard of metaphor, I presume?

The question is whether it's an appropriate metaphor for our nation as it is at present. I'm not sure it is. Maybe we need to re-invent the idea of the mythical utopian city for a different age.

But if you're also saying that English towns and cities lack poetic elegance then I suppose I'd have to agree. Who wants to sing about Huddersfield, Leicester or Plymouth, for example? Perhaps the folk who live there, but I wouldn't even be sure of that.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
quote:
quote:

Back in the late 1960s the Young Liberals published a songbook including a 'Britishised' version of "This Land is Your Land; I regret I didn't keep my copy. Has anyone out there got those words???
When I was about 10 (in the early sixties) our Headmaster wrote a New Zealand version.

"This land is my land, this land is your land,
From Cape Maria, to Stewart Island,
In kauri forests and Cook Strait waters.
This land was made for you and me." - LG Anderson.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May the gloss in Ross be a good gloss...

Paint commercial

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016