homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » What are we going to do about men in politics? (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What are we going to do about men in politics?
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always find these top tips help me to have a rape-free life.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I always find these top tips help me to have a rape-free life.

That's very good, as one expects a series of tips for women, if one is following the standard victim-blaming stance.

It's striking how some older women are coming out with blaming statements, e.g. Bardot. The most surprising has been Susan Brownmiller, author of the influential 'Against Our Will', in the 70s, who seems to be making various blaming statements. For example, she seems to have said, that if you're naked standing next the bed, it's too late to say no.

Of course, it isn't. That is the whole point of consent, that it's not binding.

I suppose an older generation still see women as somehow guardians of male lust.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/111936-6-myths-about-sexual-assault-highlighted-by-susan-brownmillers-comments-on-the-problem -of-consent

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
We all have the right to walk alone through high-crime neighborhoods at 2 a.m. wearing expensive attire, carrying wads of cash, and sporting valuable jewelry. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to do so.

Hilariously*, the "common sense" argument is now being used to counter the idea that every accused person should be assumed innocent until proven guilty not only in a court of law, but in every forum: social media, workplace, politics, etc. Quote from
this article:
quote:
Would the aforementioned columnists feel comfortable if their kid's teacher, for example, was accused by multiple students of sexual assault, but kept teaching until proven guilty?
*possibly only for my sense of humour. YMMV

[ 31. January 2018, 17:46: Message edited by: Leaf ]

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016