homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Difficult relatives (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  45  46  47 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Difficult relatives
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
Not me! I got that you wanted to vent, and invited others to vent on a similar theme. All saints is a much different dynamic, and invites other comments you don't want, like boogie's.

Speaking of toxic grandparents, how about the old lady who spent Christmas day weeping when I came for dinner with my young kids, invited by future husband? Apparently a divorced woman is a bad thing (TM) and 'it's the children I feel sorry for'.

When we later revealed I was pregnant, she suggested we abort him.

Out of wedlock is a bad thing.

Oh. My. I really am speechless.

As to the 'Aargh! Help! I have/Am in A Family' thread, I'll look into that tomorrow maybe - getting late here now...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Francophile ~ I suggest you didn't have parents who both knocked seven shades of shit out of you and your siblings~ and promised the same to your own children. I figured that my own child was more in need of protection than my parents needed cosseting.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mine goes in for "I'm sorry you feel that way", or "I'm sorry if that's how you heard it"or "I'm sorry if you were offended by something I said", that kind of flavour...
Women's magazines have a lot to answer for. If I had a pound for every time I'd read one of those 'assertiveness' articles that tells you to deal with conflict like this... <pause for cogitation> ... I'd have about ten quid, because I don't read women's magazines that much. But they all tell you the same stuff.

(it was me who suggested All Saints as an alternative, btw. But all I said was 'you may regret opening this in Hell'; I got that you needed to vent, too).

We haven't been to see my parents for nearly a year, though it's not for want of trying. They moved house and don't want visitors until they've finished renovating their new one. Turning up on their doorstep unexpectedly is not an option; we live too far away from them to do day trips. They come to see us instead.

[ 23. January 2014, 08:24: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to have a rant,

Francophile, I'm going to take you at your word. My wife and I currently have 3 surviving parents, one in her mid nineties, the other two both 90 this year. We are heavily involved in their care and support. It is something we do out of love. It has its frustrations and its weariness and sometimes we both need to vent.

Sometimes we do look at other folks who don't have this persistent, ongoing, wearying pressure and figure they have little real understanding of how hard that can be.

But Hells Bells, Francophile, after reading this thread the person I am most pissed off with is you! And I mean, really, really, REALLY, pissed off!

I think you should take whatever resentment, weariness, self-pity, ignorance, malice and condescension is floating around in you and shove it where the sun don't shine. Rather than thinking that stuff gives you the ever-living right to piss all over someone else's pain and frustration.

Hell is a robust place, and there's some wisdom in the alternative AS forum.

But you have shown a level of pig-ignorance that is pretty unusual, even for this place.

Sure, that's judgmental of me. But it's pretty much what I feel right now. As one carer for the aged to another, I'm telling you that you let the side down, big time.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, B62 has gone over to the Dark Side! Look what you've done francophile.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I'm going to have a rant,

Francophile, I'm going to take you at your word. My wife and I currently have 3 surviving parents, one in her mid nineties, the other two both 90 this year. We are heavily involved in their care and support. It is something we do out of love. It has its frustrations and its weariness and sometimes we both need to vent.

Sometimes we do look at other folks who don't have this persistent, ongoing, wearying pressure and figure they have little real understanding of how hard that can be.

But Hells Bells, Francophile, after reading this thread the person I am most pissed off with is you! And I mean, really, really, REALLY, pissed off!

I think you should take whatever resentment, weariness, self-pity, ignorance, malice and condescension is floating around in you and shove it where the sun don't shine. Rather than thinking that stuff gives you the ever-living right to piss all over someone else's pain and frustration.

Hell is a robust place, and there's some wisdom in the alternative AS forum.

But you have shown a level of pig-ignorance that is pretty unusual, even for this place.

Sure, that's judgmental of me. But it's pretty much what I feel right now. As one carer for the aged to another, I'm telling you that you let the side down, big time.

Oh how fucking hard do you have it, fucking arsehile!
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Francophile - if you are capable, which frankly I doubt, try reading B62's post for comprehension

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Francophile - if you are capable, which frankly I doubt, try reading B62's post for comprehension

No, im not a sanctimonious git like you. Go and say a fucking prayer on the pray thread. Or shut the fuck up.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankopile,

I must apologise to you. A twelve year old who has the wherewithal, patience and understanding to care for elderly parents is an amazing thing.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got it - francophile is a bitter martyr, hence the arsehole routine. He hasn't yet figured out that other people have had it as bad or worse than he has...

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Frankopile,

I must apologise to you. A twelve year old who has the wherewithal, patience and understanding to care for elderly parents is an amazing thing.

Can'tyou fuccking spell, you old bitch.
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
I've got it - francophile is a bitter martyr, hence the arsehole routine. He hasn't yet figured out that other people have had it as bad or worse than he has...

Well tellus your fucking sob story. Yawn.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
quote:
Frankopile,

The only thing that's a bitch is the recoil action on that verbal cannon you just fired.

Put the smartphone down, take a deep breath and go for a walk around the block. Seriously. For your own good.

[ 23. January 2014, 12:46: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

No, im not a sanctimonious git like you. Go and say a fucking prayer on the pray thread. Or shut the fuck up.
wheezy, have you shut the fuck up long last. Or are you just praying to your pointless god.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, no more than usual - mainly I have been giggling at your inanity.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All we've learned so far is that some folk do and some folk don't.

Live with it. If you force stuff down another person's throat, you'll eventually get your arm bitten off.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:

Well tellus your fucking sob story. Yawn.
Since you asked so politely [Roll Eyes] I'll just say I'm another boomer who is taking care of her 90 yr old mother 24/7 - and I'm also disabled with serious health issues myself. I don't whine though, about how everyone else is such an ungrateful baby like you do, though.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See, this is why people don't want to let every asshole and fuckwit on the Ship know where they live.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it interesting that there appear to be two types of posting (maybe more?) here in Hell:

Those where the personality of the person as evidenced on other boards generally stays the same but with some agitation and swearing....
then there are those who appear to become a completely different and often very unpleasant person

I find it quite disconcerting/ bewildering which is why I rush back out again quickly...
Bye!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the smell of a dogpile in the morning! [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
I find it interesting that there appear to be two types of posting (maybe more?) here in Hell:

Those where the personality of the person as evidenced on other boards generally stays the same but with some agitation and swearing....
then there are those who appear to become a completely different and often very unpleasant person

I find it quite disconcerting/ bewildering which is why I rush back out again quickly...
Bye!

Down here we are, essentially, a psychology experiment that has gone completely feral.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bye!

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You are either posting and reading the thread or not.

Do you mean that you post and then don't read the replies?

The fact that you are posting shows that it holds some sort of fascination for you ...

I pop down to Hell when I need cheering up!

Also - I don't think anyone is hiding their personality on other boards - just abiding by the 'no personal attacks' rules!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I don't think anyone is hiding their personality on other boards - just abiding by the 'no personal attacks' rules!

So, naturally, when someone who has made themselves unpopular by posting at the edge of decency for years steps into Hell, they really shouldn't be surprised to get dumped on. Pity-Lit doesn't get much of a hearing in Hell either.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I love the smell of a dogpile in the morning! [Biased]

It isn't dogs.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Bye!

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You are either posting and reading the thread or not.

Do you mean that you post and then don't read the replies?

The fact that you are posting shows that it holds some sort of fascination for you ...

I pop down to Hell when I need cheering up!

Also - I don't think anyone is hiding their personality on other boards - just abiding by the 'no personal attacks' rules!

Sorry for lack of clarity.
I always check for replies- hence this response.
What I meant was that as it's clearly stated that posting here is the equivalent of posting a large bulls-eye on yourself I post with trepidation as I hate causing offence. The "rush back out again" comment was an attempt at humour.

I get that "the no personal attacks" rule is lifted here, I think perhaps orpheo sums it up for me!
I do find a lot of stuff down here hilarious, especially as you say when I need cheering up.

As to the OP, I've lost count of how many times I've failed to love the people I've found difficult whether because of who they are or the things they've done. It's crap sometimes, it really is crap.

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As to the OP, I've lost count of how many times I've failed to love the people I've found difficult whether because of who they are or the things they've done. It's crap sometimes, it really is crap.

I know, me too.

But I stand by what I said. It's worth making the effort. Excuses don't = effort imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is turning into the fun thread I had hoped it would be! I firmly believe amusing anecdotes about our awful relatives help relieve the stress so next time we're sitting on our loved ones (and we do love them) sofa quietly weeping from boredom or worse, we can imagine the stories we can relate on the ship.

I also like the competitive aspect:
In the non-stop talking category, I submit this entry:

I was once visiting my father when we went out to eat and an old family friend stopped by our table to say hello. She was sorry to learn that I had laryngitis and couldn't speak a word. I enjoyed watching my father's face turn red as he realized I had been there almost a week and he hadn't noticed.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

My mother and my father in law are both very deaf now. Listening is not something either of them was very good at anyway. Mix in frailties and other deteriorations and you do get some hilarious misunderstandings. Particularly when punctuated by "No need to shout, you know". Mix in some memory and cognitive loss and it can become very Pythonesque.

I find it sad to see them reduced. That's a hard thing for me.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Frankopile,

Everything is spelled correctly, franklyapile, unlike your reply.
Seems I over estimated your age, though.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what's an arsehile?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Me apparently. The 'I' gives the game away. I'm an arsehole with a certain redeeming self-awareness.

Or maybe it's bloody bollocking autocorrection at work on his iPad, iPhone whatever.

But given the Francophile mind, it's more like trying to make sense of shadows on the wall.

Now when it comes to arsehOle, there's absolutely no competition on this thread. Francophile has completely swept the board. You can give him the gold medal straightaway. Or roast him again on your own special fires. I've had it with him.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unusually, I'm rather glad the thread has moved on a bit before I had a chance to respond.

My first thought on reading the OP was "That's one side; I wonder what the other would be?" I was not without a certain sympathy for Francophile's initial position, though I hope I might have been a bit more tactful. Still, there really wasn't enough information to make me comfortable posting. Given the way the thread has gone, I'm glad I didn't.

I'm only 55, but both my parents are dead. I'd love to have misunderstandings with them again. Cleaning out the house, I found an old scrapbook my mother had put together, which included all the letters she and my father had exchanged before their marriage. They had the same conversations young people always do; they complained about their parents, talked about their dreams--shared their fears and hopes.

What that scrapbook really did, though, was provide a window into my parents as people--because we usually don't see them quite that way. We see them as Mom and Dad and they will always be there with a soothing word or their irritating habits that drive us crazy--whatever. We don't cut them the same slack we would cut our friends or our spouses. We have a hard time not putting them in an impossible position and expecting them to live up to it. I wish I had had that insight before they died.

Anoesis, I don't really have advice, just a few observations based on things you've said on the thread (not just in the OP). I would note that even though you expect your mother to have another good 20 years (and she might have 30) there's no guarantee that she--or you--will see the end of 2014. Ranting in Hell is probably a good thing, as long as you remember RuthW's point.

From the OP it seems you and your mother both have ill-expressed expectations of each other. A little more structure in times and frequency of visits might have saved you from this particular frustration, but there would undoubtedly be another. I suspect like most empty-nesters (an assumption I'm making) she's feeling a little lost and neglected. These are all things we would notice immediately with our closest friends, and we would have nothing but sympathy for them. It's a little harder to view one's parents in that same light, but sometimes they need it more than our friends do.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Or roast him again on your own special fires. I've had it with him.

I don't know. fish in a barrel and all that. I prefer a little bit of a challenge.

and all of you who actually managed to get upset by francy's words, here's a hint - read it with the drunken slur that it actually comes with. ups the entertainment value and lowers the actual value.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

and all of you who actually managed to get upset by francy's words, here's a hint - read it with the drunken slur that it actually comes with. ups the entertainment value and lowers the actual value.

Funnily enough Francophile's posting on this thread made me think "Go home Francophile, you're drunk"

Probably influenced by seeing
this and this (Go home train..) this week. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
what's an arsehile?

The latest form of nazi salute?

Francophile, step away from the keyboard dude. Take 5, in fact take more than 5.

[ 23. January 2014, 19:20: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Saying that nearly 7 hours after his last post is incredibly helpful. Thank you.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I had a chat with my Mum on the phone last night and we parted on the best of terms, as far as I'm aware, with misunderstandings ironed out. I think probably my big lesson here is not to attempt to communicate with her via email, to phone her even if she originally contacts me via email. It is just too difficult to tell what the inflections of things are in writing. Also, she has such a punctuation-free stream-of-consciousness style that I think I have a tendency to miss the important things she is trying to communicate in amongst all the other stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
I'm only 55, but both my parents are dead. I'd love to have misunderstandings with them again. Cleaning out the house, I found an old scrapbook my mother had put together, which included all the letters she and my father had exchanged before their marriage. They had the same conversations young people always do; they complained about their parents, talked about their dreams--shared their fears and hopes.

What that scrapbook really did, though, was provide a window into my parents as people--because we usually don't see them quite that way. We see them as Mom and Dad and they will always be there with a soothing word or their irritating habits that drive us crazy--whatever. ...[snip]... I wish I had had that insight before they died.

Interestingly enough, the realisation, a couple of years ago, that my Mum didn't get on with her Mum, and here I was, not getting on with her, and was I going to propagate this, led me to try and see her relationship with her Mum (my Nan, many years gone now), from her point of view. And I think it did give me a bit of perspective on her 'as a person'. I thought my Nan was lovely - and very pretty, in a old-person way - although a bit wafty and not at all inclined toward rough-and-tumble play. But when I remembered some stuff my Mum had said, and thought about other stuff - well, Mum was the youngest of a big family, and I think Nan was probably pretty much over children by the time she arrived, and she got largely ignored. Then, of course, she was the last to produce grandchildren, and by that time, Nan wasn't massively interested in them, either. I can see that being tough stuff to carry around with you, and at least I do know that my Mum is not indifferent to me or mine.

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
I suspect like most empty-nesters (an assumption I'm making) she's feeling a little lost and neglected. These are all things we would notice immediately with our closest friends, and we would have nothing but sympathy for them. It's a little harder to view one's parents in that same light, but sometimes they need it more than our friends do.

You're probably right. My kids are still little, but I suspect the need to 'be a parent' persists, so that it is difficult for her to say 'I'm lonely', or 'I'm grieving', or 'I need help with this', because she is supposed to be the parent. So yeah - I need to keep my eyes and ears open and not wait to hear these exact things.

[edit for spelling]

[ 23. January 2014, 20:03: Message edited by: anoesis ]

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
quote:
Or roast him again on your own special fires. I've had it with him.

I don't know. fish in a barrel and all that. I prefer a little bit of a challenge.

True. There's funny drunk, and there's nasty drunk. No prizes for which showed up here. Wonder what, if any, version of Francophile will show up next?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
See, this is why people don't want to let every asshole and fuckwit on the Ship know where they live.

Marv FTW.
[Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Saying that nearly 7 hours after his last post is incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Was I writing to you? You well oiled tiny ball sack.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

("oiled"? do you all oil those things?)

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

I'm a Hellhost. You're always writing to me.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only if you're overly messy with the lubrication.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
quote:
quote:

Not when you don't sign as a Hellhost I'm not. raisin-nads.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:

orfeo does or they chap

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not when you don't sign as a Hellhost I'm not. raisin-nads.
Oh goody, one of those smartarses who thinks he knows way more than he actually does know. My favourite kind.

I have to READ everything that you write, whether you sign it as a smug git or not. I suppose I could always go into every one of your posts as I read it and leave a sweet little Hellhost-signed note to let you know that I've read it. Would you like to trial that system?

Also, your claims to have intimate knowledge of my genital area are puzzling.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

orfeo does or they chap
Either they're tiny or they're big enough to rub against things and chafe. Make up your mind.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

quote:
quote:

orfeo does or they chap
What would they chap against if they were raisin-sized? Anyway, one good thing to be said for raisins - (and they usually are oiled), but at least they're not hairy.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anoesis, for what it's worth (nuttin'), here's my diagnosis: this isn't actually about you. It's about your mother's friends. The "everybody else got visits from the grandkids" line gives the game away. Your mom sounds like someone who needs constant "proof" of other people's "love" for her, so she can yak about or brag on or run down or whatever her grandkids (& possibly you) to her circle to make herself seem important. Does she want to see[i] or [i]use you as fodder to inflate her image with her friends?

Honestly? May not be worth the time and trouble it takes to visit her if that's what she's up to. If/When you do go, see what you can do about introducing her to new friends.

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
Anyway, one good thing to be said for raisins - (and they usually are oiled), but at least they're not hairy.

'Cos then they'd be gooseberries.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  45  46  47 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016