homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Hell   » Mesozoic Park (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mesozoic Park
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that Facebook in particular has become the new focus for the sense of community Thunderbunk feels has departed.

I'm not on Facebook, and I'm not sure it really does maintain a sense of community in a healthy way, but I do think it appears superficially to do so better than the Ship, and that it is the single biggest explanation for the slow decline we are in.

What I think fora in general, not just the Ship, do far better than Facebook is provide a record of discussion on different topics in some kind of sorted order.

(It is one of my pet peeves that the decline of fora as a medium in general has not led to any decent replacement medium; I think it's just led to a decline in the quality of online communities).

I frequently refer back to old threads here on subjects I find important, and find them invaluable. In Purgatory and DH people take the time to back up their arguments with links, and refer back to other people's posts. You can even see views shifting over time.

You simply don't get that on Facebook. My circumstances mean that I hardly get anything like that at all regarding faith issues IRL either, so I find the Ship invaluable in that respect. I've scarcely read anything else remotely theological in over ten years (which may explain a lot).

Oh, and I frequently feel my posts have been ignored.

I've decided the only way to deal with this is to imagine that people have been struck dumb with awe at my brilliance.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
WHAT DOES A UNICORN HAVE TO DO TO GET SOME FRIGGIN' ATTENTION AROUND HERE! I'M ON FIRE, FOR CHRISSAKE!

Out of interest which unicorn is it? I have a four year old daughter so I feel I ought to recognise her but I don't.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In your case, there are actually times when that assumption is valid.

(There is no rule against being slightly nice in Hell. It just isn't actively encouraged.)

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh FFS Dafyd, couldn't you have read my mind and held off posting for 2 minutes to avoid the cross-post? Sheesh.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know whether to [Hot and Hormonal] , [Projectile] , [Axe murder] , or [Killing me]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Oh FFS Dafyd, couldn't you have read my mind and held off posting for 2 minutes to avoid the cross-post? Sheesh.

What's that you say? Facebook has nested reply streams? Whatever next!
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
What I think fora in general, not just the Ship, do far better than Facebook is provide a record of discussion on different topics in some kind of sorted order.

Agreed, although "the internet never forgets" isn't a good thing, especially for young people. I reckon the Ship has a nice balance, with material being kept long enough for meaningful discussion, but eventually the best being archived and the rest drifting peacefully away.

Another major plus for forums is that (pseudo)anonymity allows more honest discussion. It's not perfect, but it's still an extra layer of insulation from work and family.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
Another major plus for forums is that (pseudo)anonymity allows more honest discussion. It's not perfect, but it's still an extra layer of insulation from work and family.

It also allows you to interact across a broader spectrum of people and ages.

I doubt if I'd have engaged in deep conversation with a transgender MtF person in a same-sex relationship through a friend suggestion on FB, or (if I'm honest) taken comments from another, different poster so life-changingly seriously if I'd known she was not only female, but barely out of nappies at the time.

--------------------

Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. Total anonymity has its problems, but pseudo-anonymity + active moderation helps a lot. (And while most forums may be struggling, Reddit seems to be OK, and that's just a behemoth of a forum.)
Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, and I frequently feel my posts have been ignored.

I've decided the only way to deal with this is to imagine that people have been struck dumb with awe at my brilliance.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I have a four year old daughter

Well shit, I always imagined you to be prohibitively unattractive to breeding females and/or too elderly to secure an adequate erection for the deed.

Only goes to show.

[ 09. January 2017, 10:23: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, watching the interplay between Gordito and Zappa amongst others helped shape my changing theology. From a conservative background to a grace dependent liberal view.
But I needed both Gordito and Zappa to highlight the difference. It was the interplay and gnashing of teeth that spoke to me.

And Mousie and Little Masha taught me stuff about Orthodoxy which I would not be exposed to in my current life.

And RooK, remembering bits of your description of your experience with your Dad has recently helped me with my own parents.

Never assume that you are talking to the one person on a thread. I post very little but read almost as much as ever. I just don't have any clever insights worth sharing generally.
And don't care much how I'm viewed on board any more.

But the richness of my experience on this ship still informs my daily practice. And I value that greatly. We are still in halcyon days- we just need the passage of time to see it.

And Yorick, It is better to be thought a miserable old git... than post... [Razz]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
I have a four year old daughter

Well shit, I always imagined you to be prohibitively unattractive to breeding females and/or too elderly to secure an adequate erection for the deed.

Only goes to show.

Yes, it goes to show that you think rather too much about the possible physical attributes and sex lives of other Shipmates.

Mind you, if it turned out that there are some attractive fit men in our midst, I wouldn't object to discovering that information...

...women. All they gave me in Edinburgh was a bunch of women!

EDIT: And Rook isn't really my type.

[ 09. January 2017, 12:00: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Jeremiah Goatscheese still here?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
Is Jeremiah Goatscheese still here?

You mean Inorganic Ineptus Capacitor?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by Orfeo:

Hang on, didn't scz turn up to that meet? [Paranoid]
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

And Yorick, It is better to be thought a miserable old git... than post... [Razz]

I think he's got the whiny label pretty much covered.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

This has been bugging me.

And we have a quote function. Which you used. Which I didn't on that occasion - my choice, my facing of the consequences, or not because this is Hell and sometimes it's more entertaining to unreasonably blame someone else.

A quote function which I'm now using to make it clear who I'm responding to.

A quote function that can nest several more levels than Facebook manages.

But apart from you being basically wrong in your implied critical comparison, the real reason it's bugging me is: in all these years, I'm struggling to remember a single time you posted something that wasn't about the functioning of the board. I'm sure you get something out of being so terribly meta, but all I get out of it is an acute irritation any time your name comes up.

You're like some kind of self-appointed auditor.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Out of interest which unicorn is it? I have a four year old daughter so I feel I ought to recognise her but I don't.

This reminds me of the time when Erin took some time off and I altered my avatar to be a black-and-white copy of her gator to mess with people's heads. Just having the gator avatar made people think I had been promoted, and I started getting congratulations both public and private. Others just seemed to gawp, transfixed with disbelief.

Until somebody ratted me out to Erin. Suddenly I was sporting a vivid pink My Little Pony avatar, and much hilarity ensued. Over the years I even trotted the little pink MLP avatar on special occasions to get some laughs.

Except that now I have a four-year-old daughter, and I am also fully conversant in the details of My Little Pony. And I must confess that I am a fan; it's kind of brilliant.

[Makes appropriate gestures at Patdys and orfeo.]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Facebook nesting isn't the equivalent of a thread on SOF. Facebook was not designed for long discussions or conversations. It has not really migrated very far from its Hot or Not origins.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Antisocial Personality Disorder doesn't change much.

I didn't realise you'd qualified as a psychaitrist.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

(snip)
But apart from you being basically wrong in your implied critical comparison, the real reason it's bugging me is: in all these years, I'm struggling to remember a single time you posted something that wasn't about the functioning of the board. I'm sure you get something out of being so terribly meta, but all I get out of it is an acute irritation any time your name comes up.

You're like some kind of self-appointed auditor.

I'm sorry to hear about your memory issues. And I'm sorry that I irritate you. And yet my post was relevant and on-topic. And light-hearted. Your point about levels of nesting is well-made.

You see, here's the rub. A couple of people have, earlier in the thread and elsewhere, talked about a kind of disconnect that seems to exist between types of member. I remember the "in-crowd" discussions of yesteryear (sorry you don't recall my brilliant contributions), but I don't think that members set out to deliberately ignore or snub others. I do think that the availability of something akin to the "like" button would go some way towards ameliorating this situation.

Earlier in this thread a couple of jokey "like" posts were made, but I also recall that this was expressly forbidden by tptb some years ago. Some such facility might go some way to gently encourage people to become involved, whilst serving to avoid giving the impression that no response implies exclusion. If I get a lot of likes on a FB post, I sometimes feel a responsibility to add another comment, for my people, you understand!

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always get a lot of 'likes' on my FB posts - but, then, I am posting photos of my puppies [Razz]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I didn't realise you'd qualified as a psychaitrist.

Let's not dwell too long on all the myriad of things you don't realize.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think that members set out to deliberately ignore or snub others. I do think that the availability of something akin to the "like" button would go some way towards ameliorating this situation.

... Some such facility might go some way to gently encourage people to become involved, whilst serving to avoid giving the impression that no response implies exclusion.

No, no and again no.

These are discussion boards, not popularity contests. The quality of a post is judged (very subjectively) by how well it contributes to a discussion, not the number of people who claim to like it. Why people like something is important, and that can only be known by someone posting in response and saying so.

Facebook serves several purposes, and I agree with earlier comments that it is probably better suited to sharing aspects of our lives (because you can just post pics of where we've been on holiday, or our puppies) that make it easier to maintain relationships. But it's poorly suited for discussion.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I always get a lot of 'likes' on my FB posts - but, then, I am posting photos of my puppies
OK, this isn't the first time I've ruined a perfectly good evening by being unable to walk past a poor joke left unmade. In this case, UK readers might like to read the above line in the voice of Barry Cryer, Tim Brooke-Taylor or Jack Dee.

In fact Boogie, you are the lovely Samantha and I claim my five pounds.

[ 09. January 2017, 20:07: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

Until somebody ratted me out to Erin. Suddenly I was sporting a vivid pink My Little Pony avatar, and much hilarity ensued.

A well-remembered moment. The first RooK post sporting My Little Pony had a single-word response.

"Aiyeeeagh!!!".

Or something similar. Couldn't find the original in Limbo/Oblivion. But I did laugh a lot. A typical Erin riposte.

[ 09. January 2017, 20:12: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
OK, this isn't the first time I've ruined a perfectly good evening by being unable to walk past a poor joke left unmade.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards being cured.

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
I don't think that members set out to deliberately ignore or snub others. I do think that the availability of something akin to the "like" button would go some way towards ameliorating this situation.

... Some such facility might go some way to gently encourage people to become involved, whilst serving to avoid giving the impression that no response implies exclusion.

No, no and again no.

These are discussion boards, not popularity contests. The quality of a post is judged (very subjectively) by how well it contributes to a discussion, not the number of people who claim to like it. Why people like something is important, and that can only be known by someone posting in response and saying so.

And that's it. The design of the Ship is set in stone. It is as it will be. The Adminisphere has spoken. Discussion only, no inclusivity. Dry and impersonal. That the Circus, or Heaven, or All Saints might benefit from some soft enhancements to make people more chummy is an overhead not to be considered. They're fine as they are.

I have no argument with you, Alan. To your credit you have stuck rigidly to this line of argument every time this or similar discussions have arisen. While this approach remains entrenched, all discussion is futile. You must tire of repeating yourself.

orfeo

# 13878

He's not talking about the design of the Ship, he's talking about the design of message boards, in general.

Yes there are some tweaks you can make. I participate in one message board for a computer game where people are able to give me a thumbs down to immediately indicate their disapproval of something I said without engaging in any way shape or form with what I said (seriously, in some cases it's mystifying). Yay.

But there's a limit to what you can do. Many is the time where I've [Roll Eyes] at people's attempts to treat message boards and blogs and live chats as interchangeable mediums, but they're not. In the same way that books and films and plays can all tell a story, but they use different methods, all of these communication tools at our disposal use different methods for communicating.

Facebook is first and foremost a method of broadcasting your own story. It's closer to a blog with an enhanced comments feature than a message board. Among the key differences of message board threads is that the person who starts the thread doesn't retain control and ownership of it, though many's the time I've seen someone act as if it's their personal property.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He's not talking about the design of the Ship, he's talking about the design of message boards, in general.

I would go further, I'm talking about the intent of discussion boards. Features like an uncommented 'like' or shared item simply don't contribute to discussion - and, I'm not sure they would have more than an occasional benefit to the parts of the Ship which are not aiming at serious discussion, even if we had the option for such features (this software doesn't) and could enable them on some boards but not others.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And that's it. The design of the Ship is set in stone. It is as it will be. The Adminisphere has spoken. Discussion only, no inclusivity. Dry and impersonal. That the Circus, or Heaven, or All Saints might benefit from some soft enhancements to make people more chummy is an overhead not to be considered. They're fine as they are.

Why should any of us expect it to be otherwise? Where anywhere does it say that the design or function of the boards is subject to democratic review? There are literally thousands of places to chew the fat on the internet. This one is this way. Others are different. Yawn.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Facebook suggestions for change disappear into the ether. Just saying. I've tried.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The biggest asset we have is the creativity and commitment of the participants of this board. No upgrade will take the place of that.

By commitment I mean- I show up on this board every damn day just to see what happens. I notice many others seem to do the same. Like Ms. Amanda says, my personal attacks of butthurtitis never seem to override my sense of belonging.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel the biggest asset the ship has is the tireless moderation of the boards. If those doing it all get tired, this site would quickly disappear in an ocean of trolls.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And that's it. The design of the Ship is set in stone. It is as it will be. The Adminisphere has spoken. Discussion only, no inclusivity. Dry and impersonal.

That's exactly what Dave Marshall used to say when people didn't agree with him. And that's all it means. Alan gave reasons, he didn't just say no. He disagrees in a rational way. Discussion is indeed futile if by futile you mean you personally can't get what you want.

To continue the reflective nostalgia, what about the eighth day? That appeared because of discussion. The editing time went up because of discussion. (And then back down again - remember that?).

Discussion doesn't seem to be futile, but non-persuasive discussion certainly is.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Facebook is first and foremost a method of broadcasting your own story.

No, Facebook is first and foremost a method of generating revenue from advertising.

My epiphany in this respect was when somebody pointed out that for any commercial undertaking that's free to the user, the user is the product.

Facebook facilitates interaction only to the extent that this interaction generates revenue. That is doubtless one of the reasons its content is so ephemeral.

I hate the way people willingly surrender all kinds of personal information and photos to be the property of (read their T&Cs) and curated by a private company whose first motive is inevitably a profit motive, so they can monetize your private life by selling its appeal to advertisers.

Clearly, in-depth online discussions are tangential to this process.

If that's not the spirit of Bablyon, I don't know what is.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I feel the biggest asset the ship has is the tireless moderation of the boards. If those doing it all get tired, this site would quickly disappear in an ocean of trolls.

Deffo. Facebook, Twitter and newspaper pages are now rife with racist trolls. This place hasn't succumbed.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Facebook nesting isn't the equivalent of a thread on SOF. Facebook was not designed for long discussions or conversations. It has not really migrated very far from its Hot or Not origins.

Oh boy, did I get into trouble when I first started using FB, thinking it was similar to the Ship (with added kitten photos). I was soon put in my place, that my job was to be a 'like' zombie, not to actually voice any opinions!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Facebook, Twitter and newspaper pages are now rife with racist trolls.

Not even Google+ is immune. I've stopped voicing my opinions there.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, Facebook is first and foremost a method of generating revenue from advertising.

Exactly. This is one of the reasons I won't join. Mr. Zuckerberg will not be making any money from me (which I'm sure will send him to bankruptcy court!).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In depth has never been part of Facebook. Shallow and superficial is what its about.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
The editing time went up because of discussion. (And then back down again - remember that?).

Ask Pyx_e about that. [Two face]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Oh boy, did I get into trouble when I first started using FB, thinking it was similar to the Ship (with added kitten photos). I was soon put in my place, that my job was to be a 'like' zombie, not to actually voice any opinions!

'Like Zombie' .... Like it [Big Grin] (sorry, couldn't resist it)

Glad me and my good lady held out and never got sucked into Farcebook or Twatter.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
quote:

I got a telling off when a family member posted a meme that was anti-immigrant in the run-up to the referendum, and I responded with a 5 or 6 paragraph post pointing out the false statements in the image, and the fallacies of the argument presented. Then, a further telling off when I responded with a "if you don't want people to comment on controversial statements, why post them?"

I only joined FB because it is a convenient way just to keep in touch with people I know well in real life (family and close friends), especially when I was out in Japan. But, sometimes the temptation to post something substantial is irresistible.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never joined Twitter. I was on Facebook for about two weeks but couldn't stand the noise.

Noise =

"My puppy finally got paper trained."
"Yea! Way to go!"
"Wow! Congrats!"
"Luv it! Happy day!"

etc.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

I've been on Bookface since early on in its public incarnation. Hated it immediately. It is a miserable place, full of shit. However, like many others, it is the default medium for staying in contact. So I have it ping me with emails when my Important People post things, and that's it.

Even that limited function is annoying, and stupidly inconsistent.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
quote:
posted by Orfeo:

Hang on, didn't scz turn up to that meet? [Paranoid]
scz was definitely there. Wasn't Dafyd there too?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

Sometimes I just go ahead and voice my opinions anyway. And yeah, it makes people uncomfortable...

But sometimes that's the goal. One of my white Christian male friends, who became a missionary to Italy and who only posts occasionally, managed to make almost all of his posts some variation on the theme of how tough it was to be 'persecuted'. I'd like to think I've played some part in his posts now being either genuinely personal stuff or about Christians who really ARE under threat of death rather than merely under threat of the law not reflecting their traditional view of marriage.

In other words, with certain friends I don't mind if one of their thoughts before posting is "shit, if I say that, orfeo is going to drop on me like a tonne of bricks".

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

In depth has never been part of Facebook. Shallow and superficial is what its about.
Ah! This explains your Facebook posting history.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016