homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Scotland the Brave 2017 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Scotland the Brave 2017
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite right, PG. Slainte mhor!*

* OK, that's Gaelic, which doesn't happen in Orkney, but you get the idea. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:

I think that I should go pour a dram of Highland Park just now.

Is there ever a time when it isn't a good time to pour a dram of Highland Park?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No.

(BTW, stor seier, wot Mr. Google says is Norwegian for slainte mhor, and therefore perhaps more appropriate for Orcadia).

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This weekend saw the opening for the 2017 season for the Bo'ness and Kinneil steam railway, so as the weather was so lovely we spent this afternoon there. It was lovely - well worth a trip for those of you near the central belt.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a great night last night at the announcement of the winner of the Wallace Monument hall of heroes heroine.

Both Mary Slessor and Jane Haining were in the top five in the public vote.

There was a poetry reading by Gerda Stevenson and a speech by Dolina McLennan. I found myself looking at Dolina thinking that I'd love to be so slim, so well dressed and so bright as her. She's 79, so I have 27 years to work on it.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last weekend we had a lovely long weekend on the island of Gigha, in the southern Hebrides. It was such a simple place - one shop, one hotel, one decent restaurant, one fancy house with gardens (beautifully and vaguely weedy), and lots of tiny beaches with perfect white sand. We had enormous cooked breakfasts in our B&B which set us up for the day, then mooched around and explored, it was glorious. I must say (again) how tempting island life is (that feeling was particularly acute once I went back to work. And was reinforced by waking up on Friday and discovering we're now living in a Tory constituency).

I'd need to find something to nuke the midges though. We've been back since Tuesday and I'm still scratching the bites.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm heading over for a spot of Island Life this week; flying to Glasgow on Tuesday and on up to Orkney with my sister on Friday to see my dad (who's 92 and failing) and take in a few concerts at the St. Magnus Festival, which I haven't been able to get to since 1988.

Looking forward to it! [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
welcome back !

will you just be up north ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Jack the Lass:
I'd need to find something to nuke the midges though. We've been back since Tuesday and I'm still scratching the bites.

I feel your itch. I got well-midged in Ullapool over a week ago on the way out to the Outer Hebrides. Fab break, but still scratching....
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Midges are very rare out here - you'll only see them on really still days. A good sea breeze is the thing: they don't like it up 'em!
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
welcome back !

will you just be up north ?

Thanks, WK - I'm flying to Glasgow tomorrow night and I'll be in Edinburgh until Friday, then flying up to Orkney until Tuesday and back to Edinburgh until the Friday after that, then home on Saturday. I did wonder about arranging a meet, but sort of didn't get round to it (you know how it is).

Re: midgies and islands - the edges of the islands might be fine, but I remember Dad having to give up after half an hour of picking blackcurrants in his garden in Kirkwall because he was being eaten alive.

I have bite-gel in my suitcase ... [Eek!]

eta: they don't just live in Scotland either - when we moved here last summer I was bitten to buggery. [Frown]

[ 12. June 2017, 19:21: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it one of those "more Scottish than Scotland" places, trying to out-Scottish the rivals with added authenticity?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely every Orcadian knows that Kirkwall doesn't count as island - it's on the mainland after all.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Fair point, Arethosemyfeet! [Big Grin] Doesn't keep the midgies away though ... [Big Grin]

I don't even know if the New Brunswick bugs are what we'd call midgies - they're maybe more likely to be mosquitoes - but they don't half bite. [Eek!]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried very hard to play with the wee midgies over half term, but failed. I need to plot how to revisit that idea.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the best ever trips back to Scotland in May, visiting family, friends and familiar places; also some new places. A week on Orkney was heavenly - will be back there before long. Perfect weather the whole time, even on Iona. Then we drove to New York to visit the latest granddaughter and her family last week - too much! I will never be a city boy. Orkney is perfect for me.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

May is a good time to be in the Inner Hebrides - we get the best weather in May/June usually - and it was especially fine this year.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
May is a good time to be in the Inner Hebrides - we get the best weather in May/June usually - and it was especially fine this year.

The key word is "usually"... Last year when I went at the beginning of May it snowed the day before I got there and the bus had trouble crossing Mull. The previous year in May it never stopped raining. But this year was the driest I've ever seen it, and even the mill stream beside the Abbey was almost dried up. Most other years I've gone in October, which generally takes the uncertainty out of getting rained on. The lady at whose B&B I usually stay reckons she can predict the weather by my travel plans.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are supposed to be experiencing Storm Caroline, but it hasn't hit yet. It's a bit breezy, but that is all.

Anyone else?

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mild and blustery (SW wind) down here in the bottom right-hand corner, but the forecast is for NW wind later - and much lower temperatures, and even sn*w...

Not wishing her on you, NEQ, but maybe Caroline's running a bit late?

I blame Tr**p.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

We had a good soaking last night. But, nothing extraordinary. Not even that my car chose that moment to suddenly grind to a stop so the AA man and I got drenched - him while dismantling the brake that fell apart and jammed on as I was driving (fortunately very slowly, backing into a parking space ... dread to think what would have happened had I been doing even 20mph) so the car could be towed to a garage, me to sign various things on the tablet thing where he recorded what he did.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Caroline has arrived, about 6 hours late. She was supposed to have been past and leaving by early afternoon.

High winds and driving rain here.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hold onto your hats.....

(It was a bit breezy here last night, but nothing really OTT)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Alan, thank God you weren't driving at any speed, or on the open road.

Why do these car calamities always happen when it's pissing down with rain or sn*w?

Meanwhile, down here out of Caroline's Evil Clutches, we've had a fine orange sunset, but the temperature is falling.... [Help]

IJ

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

A bit of wind and rain here in Stirling too, but nothing particularly out-of-the-ordinary. Hope NEQ and cattyish have battened down the hatches though.

Windy Wilson is forecasting Baltic temperatures on Sunday though (Do you know Windy Wilson? Scotland's best (and sweariest) amateur weatherman, well worth a follow on facebook).

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

There were some quite good photographs of the effects of Caroline on the Orkney photographic page on Facebook this morning, and the Scrabster/Stromness ferry got stuck. [Eek!]

Of course, in Orkney that's just "a peedie bit breezy" ... [Big Grin]

In other news, the Big Tree in Kirkwall has been named as Scotland's Tree of the Year.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I thought you meant that the ferry had stuck on a reef or sandbank or something, but not so - she simply couldn't get safely into harbour.

News Report

Looks like a well-appointed vessel, so let's hope she's well stocked with such delicacies as GIN, WHISKY, PIE, CAKE etc. for those on board overnight...

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The Hamnavoe is a well-appointed ship, but D. and I never use her if we can avoid it because (a) she comes in at the wrong end of Orkney; and (b) even on a normal day takes half as long again as the Pentalina, which comes in at the right end and is owned and run by a bloke who was in my class at school.

The Pentland Firth is a very nasty piece of water (you've got the Atlantic meeting the North Sea in a channel less than 20 miles wide), and can be treacherous even on what appears like a calm day. I have less-than-fond memories of the first roll-on/roll-off ferry they had on the Stromness-Scrabster run (she came on in the mid-1970s and at the time was the only way to get cars to Orkney). For whatever reason, she had been built just the wrong size for the size of the waves you get in the Firth and even on a calm day she had a horrid corkscrew-like motion - and she took 2 hours. [Eek!]

[ 07. December 2017, 20:50: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I see that MS Hamnavoe eventually docked earlier today (presumably having run out of WHISKY, GIN etc. etc.).... [Snigger]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

On reflection, I seem to be casting unfounded nasturtiums on the habits of sea-bound Orcadians.

Umble Apollo Gees.

It does sound as though Storm Caroline has brought Scotland some windy weather, complete with sn*w, all complete, and got up regardless.

Nothing out of the ordinary, then.

[Roll Eyes]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Indeed. I don't envy the passengers one bit.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not a hint of a snowflake around the Falkirk- ish area yesterday, not even on the hills. The only snow I saw was a bit on the step of the train going to King's Cross as I got on.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Nor down 'ere neither, not yet.

[Help]

Who knows what tomorrow might bring? Rain and wind, it seems, but little or no sn*w (so a few of the faithful - the Usual Suspects - might make it to church....).

IJ

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Took the train to visit my parents today and some of the snow covered scenery was breathtakingly beautiful.

Lots of other people were also taking the train instead of risking the roads and the train was jam packed. It was an ...interesting ....journey.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We seem to have acquired about 6 inches of snow this evening. [Frown]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear,fly-tipping is really getting to be a problem!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Time to tidy away this old thread and start a new one.

Thread closed.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016