homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » What puts you off from setting foot inside a church? (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What puts you off from setting foot inside a church?
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
That's even before one considers whether there's something fundamentally wrong in the concept of encouraging the members to meet in some other way than as one body.

Many churches around my way have a main congregation and a separate Chinese or Korean congregation, often non-denominational or from a different denomination.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Churches with only one worship space means that one service is too early and the other you will not be out until 12.30. ....

Churches with more than one worship space capable of being used for two different services simultaneously must be be very rare. That's even before one considers whether there's something fundamentally wrong in the concept of encouraging the members to meet in some other way than as one body.
A special case, of course, but the chaplaincy centre at my university had two chapels on either side of a central concourse. On most Sundays worship began together in the concourse before separating into "Anglican and Free Church" and "Roman Catholic". Personally I always preferred the joint services as that at least guaranteed a communion service and some sort of liturgy. The chaplaincy team at least had the charity to also hold a mid-week communion service.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
Many churches around my way have a main congregation and a separate Chinese or Korean congregation, often non-denominational or from a different denomination.

Almost ubiquitous in British city churches. Some of the "guest" congregations are a lot bigger than the "hosts"!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we were asked (some while ago) if we could host a Mar Thoma congregation on Sunday afternoon, initially just once a month, IIRC. Alas, they found another church, as parking at Our Place on a Sunday is difficult, and the Other Place has a bigger car park... [Frown]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Enoch
quote:
Churches with more than one worship space capable of being used for two different services simultaneously must be be very rare. That's even before one considers whether there's something fundamentally wrong in the concept of encouraging the members to meet in some other way than as one body.
If you go to the 9.30am Parish Communion in St David's Cathedral you'll find two options: in English at the High Altar and in Welsh in the Lady Chapel.

Both congregations sing hymns at the same time, to the same tunes.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That must call for a high degree of precision timing and co-operation by the preachers - presumably each option has its sermon in its own language?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EVERYTHING is in its own language: presumably because the organ carries throughout the building (a magnificent Willis, no less) they choose hymns that can be sung in either language depending on where in the building one is sitting.

But then they do things very well down there on the westernmost tip: at the end of every weekday evensog ALL the clergy on duty stand and chat/ shake hands, etc with every member of the congregation as they leave - something other cathedrals might try?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed, and that's something that would perhaps encourage people thus greeted to attend other services!

IJ

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Banners like this? (Our rector found this in a closet and shared it on Facebook.)

Banner

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
Banners like this? (Our rector found this in a closet and shared it on Facebook.)

Banner

I can't open it.
quote:
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:

Banner

I can't open it.
quote:
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
[Frown]

Neither can I.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Same here - and, of course, we now ALL want to know what's on that banner!

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, it's now posted on my Facebook page.

Scroll down a bit and you'll see my son and my granddaughter who was just born yesterday!

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Aaagh! Page not found!

Is Outrage!

IJ

--------------------

Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Aaagh! Page not found!

Is Outrage!

IJ

Do you mean the link to my Facebook page that I posted today? It worked for me. I wish I could just paste an image to the message board.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, it says that the page cannot be found, and that the link may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

IJ

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Went back to a former church to discover that a large screen had been put up - it would completely block off the choir stalls from the nave pews! I think different types of church furniture sends a strong message, although it might be misleading you'd be forgiven for thinking that you can read a lot about a church from just walking in through the door. Apparently the same church has decided the pulpit is no longer needed, so they have put it in a shed.

Sorry to be slow responding. I used to attend a church that had a truly ugly plywood sort-of-container for a pulpit, left over from the early '70s. No-one said anything at all when the rector took it apart and allowed it to exit through his fireplace. He then preached from the lectern or the center steps, which was far better.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016