homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Apprentice 2012 BBC1 Weds (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Apprentice 2012 BBC1 Weds
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it back about Jade - she did OK. On the losing team but the best of the three.

As to who got fired - obviously it had to be the one who said "No way on this planet will it be me".

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there was a strong case for Nick being shown the dor. I can't actually remember him doing anything distinctive in the whole series. Adam was probably lucky to last as long as he did, he was showing his sexist side again last night, guaranteed not to go down well with Karren.

I think it's time they re-jigged the format more than they did with the partnership thing.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have fired all three on the losing team. Jade did well this week, but has not performed over the weeks. One of the other two will win, IMO, although the interviews are always fun and sometimes throw up some interesting aspects of the candidates.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a consumer I'm more likely to buy the sweets than the male grooming products. I'm male and I groom so I'm a prospective customer to both.

It seems that the decision, based on business models, whatever they are, was for the product I'm least likely to buy. I found it strange.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jade will be a riot in the interviews, I'm glad she will be there.

I usually love the interviews but on this occasion I'm not too fussed. I'm sure editing will bring it all to life.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the chocolate firm was the one I think it is, their chocolate bars are around £3 I've seen them on sale in a posh supermarket and the nice little deli at Taurus. (See Wodders in Britain - Forest meet) They ahve a wonderful website full of tempting stuff but which is quite expensive. I don't think they'd have priced their chocolates at £2.99! I wonder i9f they will be introducing Drunken Jellies - pear cider jelly sounds very good. [Biased]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's Ricky who is the Apprentice! None of the businesses were very exciting, and Jade's was horrid - did she really think Lord Sugar would support a call centre? Ricky's was probably the best of a bad lot, and he came over as having realised what a total prat he had been with some of the comments in his personal statement.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it my imagination or did the computer screen shot with Jade in the house show the phrase 'Brake even' ?? Break even surely??

And what's with the recipe buy all the ingredients in one go idea?? What about the things I already have at home? Or will it order flour, spices etc new every time which I don't need because I have them already from last time???

Call centre - useless.
Hedge fund of 25mill? - dream on.

Not a challenging choice for Lord Sugar really.

[ 03. June 2012, 23:38: Message edited by: Avila ]

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a shame the business plans were not up to scratch-Jade's was pretty ridiculous, Tom's was way too risky, Nick's had pitfalls (like will it order all the ingredients, even the basic ones the person already has), so Ricky's was the best of a bad lot! Ricky definitely redeemed himself over the course of the series, as in the first episodes, I really disliked him as he reminded me of Stuart Baggs from an earlier series, who was prone to making ludicrous superlative comparisons about himself and was still as deluded as ever at the end of the series.
Stephen & Adam were dreadful this year though-Adam's deal-making with the hotel, asking them to throw in complimentary teas & coffees with the hotel stay was just painful to watch and I was hoping Tom might step in and save the day, but it wasn't to be!
I'd have preferred to see Gabi in the final, as she seemed more creative & a bit warmer than Jade, so may have had a better business plan...
If I understood correctly, Junior Apprentice will be along soon, which I really enjoyed previously!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was really looking forward to sterling entertainment and I was deeply disappointed. There was so little in personality displayed and these people who have such bizarre egos were stiff and buttoned up. Filming and editing was probably stretched to get the best and it didn't fly.

The business plans were sterile, although the wine one had more flair. I wonder if Lord Sugar is aware of the business plans from the start so he knows where it might be going? I remember last year and him being so disappointed by the girl offering the conceirge service as she had been such a good candidate. Perhaps a reversal could be kicked in so that the business plans were sorted out at the beginning and then it was a case of weeding out contestants alongside their business plans - as ditched contestants might have had something really fun.

Anticipating Junior Apprentice tho.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that the contestants present something about their business plan, some idea of the area, at the start. But the hope is that they will learn enough in the process to be able to produce a better plan at the end.

Ricky was the best of the 4 definitely. And I quite enjoyed the interviews. But none of the ideas really worked for me.

I have read Lord Ss autobiography, and knew that he would not seriously consider Toms idea, because - as he said - he never gambles with other peoples money. He would consider himself responsible for the whole 25M raised if he went that way, and it was too much of a gamble for him. Yes it might work, but not with Lord S.

I am sure some of the others would have had better business plans. Gabrielle for a start, although there are others. Maybe LordS should get the buisness planes part way through, so he can consider them then. As he made clear, he is not intended to work hard with these people.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how much the candidates really know about Lord Sugar. He mentioned his 'position in society' when he was talking about Tom's plan and how he couldn't take a risk with other people's money. He was a Knight and is now a Lord of the Realm with a sworn oath of loyalty to the Crown. He wouldn't do anything to compromise his moral obligations.
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
somehow i managed to miss what Rickys business plan actually is?

i'm glad he won though ...

through the final, I was betting on Ricky or Tom, and then when I realised Tom had actually already made many millions anyway, I figured why does he want Sugars money? Probably so if he lost it all, it wasnt his but someone else's.

So, I'm glad Ricky won.

As for The Apprentice in general, has it run its day?

This year has been the most dull, uninspiring, uninteresting series so far, in terms of candidates and tasks (all the same as year on year) so, is it time to call it a day?
(i'm not saying i wont be watching next years, of course i will, lol) x

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio Harumph:
somehow i managed to miss what Rickys business plan actually is?

Ricky very nearly lost the final before it started with a shocking presentation of his business plan! Lord Sugar's bullshit detector was active and accurate.

His was however the only viable business that deserved Lord S's intervention.

[ 04. June 2012, 18:43: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I wonder how much the candidates really know about Lord Sugar. He mentioned his 'position in society' when he was talking about Tom's plan and how he couldn't take a risk with other people's money. He was a Knight and is now a Lord of the Realm with a sworn oath of loyalty to the Crown. He wouldn't do anything to compromise his moral obligations.

I'm pretty sure the oath of loyalty to the crown doesn't preclude being involved in an investment business. There must be a few "honourable" members with a background in finance in the Lords. All the wine proposal consituted was an investment fund - there's nothing immoral about it really...

Ricky definitely had the best proposal of the four finalists. Maybe it would make a good addition to "You're fired" if we got to see what each of the investment plans were as the candidated got the boot.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
[qb] I wonder how much the candidates really know about Lord Sugar. He mentioned his 'position in society' when he was talking about Tom's plan and how he couldn't take a risk with other people's money. He was a Knight and is now a Lord of the Realm with a sworn oath of loyalty to the Crown. He wouldn't do anything to compromise his moral obligations.

I'm pretty sure the oath of loyalty to the crown doesn't preclude being involved in an investment business. There must be a few "honourable" members with a background in finance in the Lords. All the wine proposal consituted was an investment fund - there's nothing immoral about it really...

He explained his "position is society" as meaning he can't afford to be associated with something that fails and that he would feel personally responsible for making good any losses. It's not that there is anything immoral as such in Tom's plan or in any such business ventures. I got the impression that Lord Sugar feels his own position as carrying moral responsibilities which he explained as saying he won't gamble with other people's money. He was knighted for his services to business, not just for making a lot of money, and his peerage was recommended by Gordon Brown, another morally principled man.

One of his reasons for rejecting Jade's plan was that he doesn't want his name associated with disturbing people at home with cold-calling. Cold-calling people at home isn't illegal, or immoral, it's just for most people an irritatng intrusion.

[ 05. June 2012, 07:10: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

What they clearly haven't done is read his autobiography, or found out much about him at all. It is clear that they don't plan their business proposal in a way that would appeal to Lord S. If they did that, they would do better.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was there a hint that this may be the last series in a comment made by Nick to Lord Sugar, when they had a discussion between them choosing Tom or Ricky which was along the lines of " Do you want to go out with a bang or take the safe option?"

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom said in the boardroom that he would use Lord Sugar's name/reputation as a way of bringing in the money for the investment fund. It wasn't picked up on at the time (maybe a raised eyebrow) but I wondered about it later when the cryptic "position in society" remarks were made.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
Originally posted by MiceElf:
Was there a hint that this may be the last series in a comment made by Nick to Lord Sugar, when they had a discussion between them choosing Tom or Ricky which was along the lines of " Do you want to go out with a bang or take the safe option?"

He also described himself as a pensioner and said he didn't want to do a lot of hard work any more. It makes sense. He's 65, he's made his money. He's got a wife and family, and I expect the House of Lords is an interesting hobby.
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Tom did not actually need the money. What he wanted was Lord Sugars name. It was a brave move - not unlike what some of the hopefuls do in "Dragons Den" where it can work. But Lord S does not mind about spending or even losing some money. He is not one to trade his name lightly.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

WhyNotSmile
Shipmate
# 14126

- Posted      Profile for WhyNotSmile   Author's homepage   Email WhyNotSmile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MiceElf:

I think they've already opened applications for the next series, though, haven't they? And I imagine that if Lord Sugar does retire, they'd get someone else to take over.

I agree that this series was pretty dull, and the format needs something of a shake-up. It has seemed ridiculous that in the past 2 series most of the tasks revolve around selling, while it is made clear that Lord Sugar's not looking for a salesperson. It was particularly striking in the previous series, when Tom (lovely, lovely Tom) won the series, having lost all but 1 or 2 tasks.

It would be interesting to see them take on multi-week tasks, perhaps developing a product and campaign over a longer timeframe, and then perhaps firing more than 1 of them at the end. It would also be good to have a few individual tasks, or paired tasks, rather than always being in 2 teams - very often the better team loses, and then someone fairly decent gets fired.

--------------------
Come visit:
http://why-not-smile.blogspot.com
- you're always glad you came

Posts: 528 | From: Belfast | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016