homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thank you Desert Daughter (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Thank you Desert Daughter
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tranny, cross-dresser, transvestite, trans* - it's all too confusing.

Can't we just all be people and to hell with labels?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
These guys sell manly skirts.

Excellent for improving the sperm count [Smile]
I also recommend the ice-spurred special for that; don't skimp on the ice though.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:

But, if we did away with the labels how would Desert Daughter know who to find offensive? She clearly needs to put people into little boxes and gets confused when someone doesn't fit her scheme.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We all put labels on everyone. For the most part they're useful, it's part of our nature to do so even. The arguments usually start when we decide how many labels and their definitions.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just that labels about gender seem to arouse strong feelings in some people. In one sense, I can see why, since such categories as male/female and masculine/feminine are part of our social structure. On the other hand, it does seem a massive over-reaction to a bloke in a dress. A woman in a pair of jeans and a shirt doesn't seem to cause the same accusations of depravity, except maybe in very conservative circles.

--------------------

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But, if we did away with the labels how would Desert Daughter know who to find offensive?

..."whom to find offensive", dear.

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Daughter:
quote:
But, if we did away with the labels how would Desert Daughter know who to find offensive?

..."whom to find offensive", dear.
Oh shit she's a grammar nazi as well. Listen, DD, "whom" is virtually obsolete in unaffected UK spoken English, m'kay?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Er, no it isn't.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really care. It's more important to me that I learn enough Japanese to communicate than satisfying the vagaries of English grammar, as long as I've communicated what I wanted to say.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
Er, no it isn't.

Yes it is. You might use it, but the vast majority of people do not.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Listen, DD, "whom" is virtually obsolete in unaffected UK spoken English, m'kay?

That may or may not be true, but I thought SoF users communicated via the written, not the spoken, word? Or are there hidden features to this website that I haven't yet unlocked?

[ 15. May 2014, 09:32: Message edited by: Anglican't ]

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think Karl is right. To say 'whom did you meet last night?', strikes me as very conservative today; most people would say 'who'.

Although in parts of the US, 'whom' is still quite common, I think.

[ 15. May 2014, 09:34: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Listen, DD, "whom" is virtually obsolete in unaffected UK spoken English, m'kay?

That may or may not be true, but I thought SoF users communicated via the written, not the spoken, word? Or are there hidden features to this website that I haven't yet unlocked?
It's a matter of register, Anglican't. As Quetz says, "whom" is pretty formal. It's the sort of thing you might use in a formal essay or Times column; It seems a bit stilted to me in informal communication like a bulletin board. Most people would have to make a conscious effort to use it.

--------------------

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[Oh shit she's a grammar nazi as well.

Don't call me a Nazi. Ever. [Mad]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I was just having a look around various writers, and 'whom' seems to be dying out in the US as well, where I thought it had hung on; whereas in the UK, it is almost gone.

Just think of:

Who are you going to invite to the party?
Whom are you going to invite to the party?

The second one to me is so odd, that it would raise eye-brows.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:

I didn't. I called you a grammar Nazi. You can play the faux outrage game if you like but no-one believes you.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I didn't. I called you a grammar Nazi. You can play the faux outrage game if you like but no-one believes you.
He didn't. He called you a grammar Nazi, which is a different thing altogether and which it appears you are.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Is it possible to be a semi literate grammar Nazi? To be a stickler for the correct use of the apostrophe and who/whom (according to the rules of grammar at one moment in time, usually not the present) yet still unable to read for comprehension?

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't really care. It's more important to me that I learn enough Japanese to communicate than satisfying the vagaries of English grammar, as long as I've communicated what I wanted to say.

Ahem. '...than to satisfy the vagaries...'

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transvestite/tranny/cross-dresser, who/whom and now whether one can use the term "grammar Nazi". What the Hell is Hell coming to?

I presume everyone who is even remotely interested can understand the posts on this dog of a thread, even if they don't like the words used?

Now move along, there's nothing to see.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So it's ok for you to be monstrously offensive but you can't accept a wee jibe at yourself. That's fair. Makes you look like a completely hypocritical fucknugget whose head is firmly inserted into the arsehole of a dead badger. If that's the look you're going for, well done.

Personally I preferred the look of the winner of Eurovision. At least she is what she is instead of being a pathetic piece of shite that requires the whole shoe to be squashed into landfill instead of being wiped clean.

You disgust me. Who are you to define what normal is? Who gave you that right? It is only a very small step from deciding someone isn't normal to deciding someone should be harassed to deciding someone should be banned and further down the road to, oh you know what, the sort of behaviour that Nazism displayed. They took against so called decadence too.

So who is allowed to perform in public without upsetting you, pathetic little flower? Aren't people in wheelchairs disgusting? They shouldn't be on telly. The mentally ill, they're unnatural. Gay people with their decadent lifestyles.

Wind your neck in, listen to yourself and then fuck the fuck off.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or to take Jade's perspective, for whom would we know to stand up were we not to apply a label - and then a damning label for all those who did toe the line.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely DD was trying to show some humour with the "don't call me a Nazi" thing. I don't assume intelligent thinking behind all posts here, but she can't be that stupid.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Surely DD was trying to show some humour with the "don't call me a Nazi" thing. I don't assume intelligent thinking behind all posts here, but she can't be that stupid.

DD is far from stupid but has she any form for humour? See profile and posts passim

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not with a [Mad] after it, surely?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Past postings say she can be. And is, bless her heart.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

Not with a [Mad] after it, surely?
It was that that made me think that she was taking the piss. To be fair, she's one of the posters who I scroll past (ever since her views on depression were made known) so I didn't notice her lack of humour.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Only a Nazi would say that.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've done too much CPE Pyx_e

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Hell with the perfectly reasonable explanation, we want to see the pictures!

Any image that would send DD into an apoplectic fit of offense serves the greater good, IMO. And, by the way...

(preeens a little)

I have seen the pictures.*

SCORCHING.HOT.

You can be jealous, Ruth, that's ok; I will still love you.

*Assuming they are the pictures I think they are.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Nazi!

Nazi nazi nazi! Goose-steppin' xenophobic NAZI!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
*Assuming they are the pictures I think they are.

Oh they are. There's also the pics of me wearing my thengirlfriend's miniskirt for the sake of free beer. Oh, and the ones of me in a dress and blonde wig in high school. Is it my fault that I like to screw with people's heads every once in a while and have absolutely no respect whatsoever for gender norms?

Yes, I've occasionally been known to cross-dress for a lark. I'm a heterosexual, cisgendered male who likes to fuck with people's heads and expectations. Put on a tutu, pink wig and hair bow for a bike race? Why of course they make me faster! Wear a miniskirt to the pub? The TGF enjoyed watching people check me out, then do a double take. Does this make me a transwoman? No. A drag queen? Not that either. An abomination against nature and a sign of the decline and fall of Western civ? As if.

If civilization can't take me, or anyone else, thinking I have a sense of humor and flipping the bird to gender norms, then it deserves to fall. A bit of genderfuckery does not a falling sky make.

And the same goes for everyone else too. At least doubly so for those who are transitioning or transitioned. If art and authenticity are the costs of civilization, then fuck it. Time to be free, with nothing to lose but our chains.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Overused] [Waterworks] [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice. Thank you Ariston.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to assume you all are thanking me for not linking to the pictures.

For which, you are extremely welcome.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
An abomination against nature and a sign of the decline and fall of Western civ? As if.

It is the white clown shoes after Labour Day, not the wig and tutu.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh they are. There's also the pics of me wearing my thengirlfriend's miniskirt for the sake of free beer.

Wait a minute...crossdressers get free beer?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I did a training course, on which now and again we did a drag evening. I have to report that after the initial giggles, it often became very sombre, as people got into all kinds of weird stuff, by pretending to be the opposite sex. I remember being pursued by a vengeful 'man' screaming at me, you twat, mum, why didn't you ever look at me, and I screamed back, but I did, I did, you were just scowling out the window all the time. Something like that, so I don't recommend it. But for most people, it was surprisingly easy to get into character, and for some this was scary.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

I was once leading a seminar where the participants organised a party, and they decided that it was to a cross-dressing party. I ended up in a short skirt with mascara on alone in my room with a Russian guy who was about to be volunteer in a former concentration camp, who was worried about it. It was somewhat bizarre to have him opening up to me (usually Russian males in my seminars are friendly while at the same time treat me like a teacher) in such a relatively tender setting. It's not often when I manage to give a "tell me your concerns" face.

I ended up losing my key to my bedroom, seeing as I had no pocket to put them in. Strangely enough, a girl chose that evening to come on to me; I believe it was the short skirt that set her off (that and the alcohol).

Perhaps the former story shows that a short skirt and mascara could be a useful prop in my work.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Oh they are. There's also the pics of me wearing my thengirlfriend's miniskirt for the sake of free beer.

It's not any miniskirt. Hers was one of those "wear me and win free beer!" skirts.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perhaps if you stopped referring to other people as subhuman "monstrosit[ies]" and complaining about decadent (degenerate?) art, fewer people would draw the comparison.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:

It's not any miniskirt. Hers was one of those "wear me and win free beer!" skirts.
They do when their girlfriends are buying on the condition they wear skirts in public.

There's more to the story—I don't think she much cared for the skirt, hated that it showed her legs, didn't think I should either, thought this would get me to dislike it and its kin—but it kinda backfired.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

They do when their girlfriends are buying on the condition they wear skirts in public.

There's more to the story—I don't think she much cared for the skirt, hated that it showed her legs, didn't think I should either, thought this would get me to dislike it and its kin—but it kinda backfired.

What did you wear under it? I know nothing is worn under a kilt, but that's an ancient joke.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, thanks to Jane R in another thread, I'm now aware of this.

That's right folks. Far from being monstrous abominations, it turns out that bearded women can be saints. VENERATED.

Desert Daughter, your righteous moral indignation is looking more like unholy bigotry all the time.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They can also be used as early warning systems according to Herodotus. In Book One of his "Histories" he says that the people of Pedasus were warned of impending disaster by the Priestess of Athene growing a beard: "a thing which actually happened on three occasions." (translation by Aubrey de Selincourt, p. 84 of the 1954 edition which unfortunately doesn't have line references). This was inexplicably omitted from the 2007 film 300, so not many people know about it. [Two face]

[ 20. May 2014, 10:45: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

That's right folks. Far from being monstrous abominations, it turns out that bearded women can be saints. VENERATED.

Also, note the fiddler. Clearly indicating divine approval of bearded women in the music industry.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

Well, imaginary bearded women anyway.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why am I thinking about the stoning scene from The Life of Brian?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post - I'm not really but you have to say these things to fit in don't you - but I have to ask (and bear in mind I haven't read all of this tiresome thread), why would anyone watch the Eurovision song contest anyway?

Surely somebody dragging up a bit is the only way to liven up the limp, torpid drudgery?

If you want to listen to decent music then the ESC is the last place to look! Try putting a music DVD on. I suggest Stevie-Ray Vaughan Live at the El Mocombo (You Tube it to see what I mean). Or have a listen to a CD of some SS Drinking Songs. Now Hitler really knew how to put on a pan European show!

DD, if you're going to take on the mantle of ships token Nazi, then you need to embrace it; to wallow in it; to breathe it! You need to sup deeply at the wellspring... a bit of whinging about a bloke in a dress or punctuation won't get you there. It might get you published in the Daily Mail, but certainly not invited to the Combat 18 Summer Ball (Elephant & Castle Community Centre, 19th June, tickets £10 on the door, BYOB, buffet & raffle).

But I should be around for a bit now hopefully so you can watch me to see how it should be done. There will be a test later.

If you feel I'm taking the piss, I am, but mainly for watching the Eurovision song contest and not for being a Nazi.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
deano, I'm sorry to dampen your excitement at having found a soulmate, but DD was only accused of being a grammar Nazi. So, no more than a corporal in the Gerund army.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016