homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How good is your Revspeak? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How good is your Revspeak?
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now Christmas is over. We're moving into Epiphany, the manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles.

We've all heard of George Orwell's Newspeak. Have you met Revspeak? Revspeak is language that only Revs use.

Revspeak is a language that it is incomprehensible to ordinary people. Obviously there is the technical stuff that is Revspeak, words like 'justification', 'sacrament', 'ferial' and 'Epiphany'. It's particularly useful if its native speakers can mean different things by the same word, but not admit it to each other - 'sacrament' is a good word for that. And it's very beneficial if the words are befuddling but give you a nice gooey holy feeling as they come out of your mouth.

But Revspeak is particularly good if it can take ordinary words and use them in ways that don't fit with how ordinary people use them and don't make sense to them.

Here's three bits of Revspeak:-

1. 'Church' with no article as in 'a new way of doing church'.

2. 'Intentional' as in 'St Saviours aspires to be an intentional community'.

3. And a particular favourite of Common Worship, 'offer', as in 'Intercessions are offered'.

I don't know what those phrases convey. Do you?

What do Shipmates think? For their users, I'm sure the words carry that gooey holy feeling. Do they mark the users as 'one of us'?

And what other examples can you give of Revspeak?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

2. 'Intentional' as in 'St Saviours aspires to be an intentional community'.

Is that anything like "conscious uncoupling"?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Over in Purgatory: If the leadership has a heart for discipleship, prayer and mission...
Any Revs out there care to translate?
Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signaller:
Over in Purgatory:
If the leadership has a heart for discipleship, prayer and mission...

That's definitely Revspeak. 'Have a heart for' works like a switch. It throws both a sentence and a person's tongue into Revspeak.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signaller:
quote:
Over in Purgatory: If the leadership has a heart for discipleship, prayer and mission...
Any Revs out there care to translate?
If the board members/vestry/Presbytery have a passion to encourage practices that enhance and deepen their own and other church members' relationship with God, if they have a passion and commitment to pray and if they have a passion and commitment to help people in need...

"worshipping" - v - the act of devoting oneself to a deity
"worshipping" in some revspeak - v - a means of counting worship attendees - as in, "we're worshipping 150 every Sunday morning" (let it be known that I very much dislike this use of the word)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Wrestler:
... "we're worshipping 150 every Sunday morning" ...

Worshipping 150 what, exactly?

I'd never heard that particular mangling of the language before, and now I'm going to need some brain-bleach to try and un-hear it ... [Eek!]

[ 06. January 2015, 01:11: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Disc World has millions of gods. Maybe people are hedging their bets by worshipping a different set of 150 each Sunday?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

I'd never heard that particular mangling of the language before, and now I'm going to need some brain-bleach to try and un-hear it ... [Eek!]

No. I haven't. And I agree.

Anyway, here are four more:-

'Worship leader' - in Revspeak that sometimes doesn't mean the Rev in robes at the front but the person leading the music - in Revspeak 'praise band'.

X was 'raised to the episcopate'. At least it's not too difficult to work out what that means. Nevertheless, anyone who isn't fluent in Revspeak says 'made a bishop'. Non-Revspeak speakers don't say that Y was 'raised to the managing directorate'.

'Let us pray for our dear brother/sister Y who is struggling with the demon of drink/lust/anger/insecurity addiction'. Apart from being a Revspeak way of gossiping and sounding pious at the same time, blaming it on a supernatural cause lets Y and the rest of us off the hook.

'Prophetic'. An ordinary person who knows a bit about the Bible probably thinks this means either foretelling the future or having supernatural insights from God. You need at least a smattering of Revspeak to realise that it's just as likely to mean 'preaches left-wing sermons with a very loud voice'.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'Prophetic'. An ordinary person who knows a bit about the Bible probably thinks this means either foretelling the future or having supernatural insights from God. You need at least a smattering of Revspeak to realise that it's just as likely to mean 'preaches left-wing sermons with a very loud voice'.

To some folk that might not be "prophetic" at all but "unduly political" or even "heretical"!

Mind you it sounds a bit like "Yes, Minister's" usages of "brave" and "courageous".

PS Thinking of the "worshipping 150" - when did people coming to church become "attendees" rather than "attenders"? Surely an "attendee" is someone who is attended upon, such as a hospital patient of a restaurant diner?

[ 06. January 2015, 13:57: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Deeper Church' is our latest buzz phrase. Maybe we are trying to fathom the bottom of the baptism pool?

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
'Deeper Church' is our latest buzz phrase.

Have you started holding your services in the crypt?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

That's an example of 'verbing' which is a cornerstone* of RevSpeak. My (un)favourite is fellowshipping, which sounds like one of our church regulars has been parcelled up and sent by DHL or UPS.

*Cornerstone is another, and almost as meaningless. Any stone can be a cornerstone, so long as it is placed at the corner.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

PS Thinking of the "worshipping 150" - when did people coming to church become "attendees" rather than "attenders"? Surely an "attendee" is someone who is attended upon, such as a hospital patient of a restaurant diner?

On 'worshipping 150': don't know about anyone else here, but when we worship, we worship One, or at most Three-in-One.

I suppose 'attendee' is by analogy with 'standee', a word whose formation I've never quite understood.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

I suppose 'attendee' is by analogy with 'standee', a word whose formation I've never quite understood.

Escapee? Refugee? Absentee?

Is a person who is not a standee a settee?

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone dares use the term "breaking through" I have to restrain myself from doing just that to their nasal septum.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Commingling" to describe the sex act.

"Called" to mean "offered the job."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

I blame Wodehouse:
quote:
I wandered in and took my place among the standees at the back...Like all rustic standees, these were stern, implacable men, utterly incapable of taking the broad, charitable view and realizing that a fellow who comes on a platform and starts reciting about Christopher Robin going hoppity-hoppity-hop (or, alternatively, saying his prayers) does not do so from sheer wantonness but because he is a helpless victim of circumstances beyond his control.(The Mating Season)

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will offer "witnessing", which IRL means actually seeing some part of a particular action. In revspeak, it means giving a testimonial to some internal thing which only the speaker has the faintest clue about, and that usually wrong.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Love offering": hitting the attendees up for cash, to prove how much they appreciate you.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
That's an example of 'verbing' which is a cornerstone* of RevSpeak. My (un)favourite is fellowshipping, which sounds like one of our church regulars has been parcelled up and sent by DHL or UPS.

Another one is "Discipling".

A previous vicar at my church would use the word "ministry" to describe any odd job around the church - cleaning ministry, gardening minstry, you name it. I often give a disabled lady a lift home from church on a Sunday and the vicar once thanked/congratulated me on performing "transport ministry".

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Revs (and other preachers) used to use the phrase 'please be seated', at intervals during the service. I guess they thought that sounded too churchy, because they now say 'please take a seat'. I'm surprised we have any left.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

"Called" to mean "offered the job."

The RCC my Sainted Aunt attended ran bingo each week, so I suppose the guy who read out the numbers had a "calling calling".

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
... A previous vicar at my church would use the word "ministry" to describe any odd job around the church - cleaning ministry, gardening minstry, you name it. I often give a disabled lady a lift home from church on a Sunday and the vicar once thanked/congratulated me on performing "transport ministry".

That's a gem. Were you 'released into transport ministry'? And by posting here, you are 'releasing yourself to share in web based ministry'.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And if you take the parish magazines round to people, is that a deliverance ministry?

(Unashamedly nicked from Adrian Plass, in case he's reading...!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
And if you take the parish magazines round to people, is that a deliverance ministry?

Don't you need a banjo for that ministry?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paddle faster!

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Revs (and other preachers) used to use the phrase 'please be seated', at intervals during the service. I guess they thought that sounded too churchy, because they now say 'please take a seat'. I'm surprised we have any left.

[Hot and Hormonal]
Confessions time:
1) I do still say "please be seated" out of sheer habit and against my own better judgement (especially as 99% of people there most Sundays know full well when it's time to sit down).

2) The last set of church meeting minutes said that I "took the chair". I had to confess to the person who wrote them that I wanted to add "but was told to bring it back" to the end of that sentence.

quote:
That's a gem. Were you 'released into transport ministry'? And by posting here, you are 'releasing yourself to share in web based ministry'.

"Releasing into..." something is one I've heard quite a lot, especially in Baptist circles. With my cynical hat on, I can't help but think it means something like "Being minister of a congregation isn't exciting/sexy enough for me, so I'm going to do something else instead but still be paid by my church."

I might just be being very cynical today, though...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That term is usually used when they put a bit of the wafer into the chalice.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
X was 'raised to the episcopate'.

Some of us say 'lowered'.

As for 'released into' - is this the Revspeak equivalent of being 'let go'? Or am I equating it too much with being 'released into the wild'?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

That term is usually used when they put a bit of the wafer into the chalice.
Look here, about two-thirds of the way down the page. A line uttered in one of my favorite films, Harold and Maude, by one of my favorite cameo actors, Harold Christmas.

I remember attending many a retreat at school, where attendance at said retreats was required, where the priest warned us in no uncertain terms against the dire consequences of "commingling."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Released into" can have rather sinister overtones as it is associated with the covering movement in US pentecostalism, whereby someone with some gifting or another is prevented from using that gift in church until they are deemed to have fully submitted to a covering elder, whereupon they are then "released into" the use of their gift. See Rob McAlpine's Post-Charismatic for some damning testimonies.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
... A previous vicar at my church would use the word "ministry" to describe any odd job around the church - cleaning ministry, gardening minstry, you name it. I often give a disabled lady a lift home from church on a Sunday and the vicar once thanked/congratulated me on performing "transport ministry".

And you were released into this ministry by passing your driving test...

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also: birthing (as a verb) - e.g. 'we birthed a new home group' No you did not - you set one up or launched it or brought it to birth.

Here are some dialect versions of Revspeak from the world of ministry training:
  • 'enabling the ministry of others' (= they are not a prima donna)
  • 'deep pastoral wisdom' as in X needs to develop DPW in his next year in training (which = 'he would be a disaster as a minister if we ordained him right now, but he's got a year to sort himself out')
  • 'inhabit the tradition' as in X struggles to inhabit the (Anglican) tradition' (= they have never heard of Cranmer, use Common Worship to prop us a wobbly table and don't intend to obey the bishop, the canons or their incumbent).

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
'Worship leader' - in Revspeak that sometimes doesn't mean the Rev in robes at the front but the person leading the music - in Revspeak 'praise band'.

Not "leading the music"! Performing the worship set.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
"Released into" can have rather sinister overtones as it is associated with the covering movement in US pentecostalism, whereby someone with some gifting or another is prevented from using that gift in church until they are deemed to have fully submitted to a covering elder, whereupon they are then "released into" the use of their gift. See Rob McAlpine's Post-Charismatic for some damning testimonies.

"Covering" also often has to do with a headship model of male/female gender roles. When I was teaching in eastern Africa, the dean (apologetically) explained to me that I needed my husband's "covering"-- meaning he had to be in the room whenever I was teaching. He usually used that time to catch up on his reading.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

Don't you need a banjo for that ministry?
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
Paddle faster!

Sorry, I'll get me coat.

[Yipee]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
historical tangent/

No! No! The origin of "covering" is explained in the parable of Chiefs and Indians:
quote:
A curious term arising from an ancient writing referring to a squaw who was covered by a famous chief's blanket
/historical tangent

[ 08. January 2015, 16:03: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missional (er?)

Listen Church (do walls have ears too?)

Share bread and wine: do communion (let's have a bit of bread and a small cup of grape juice)

Community (what is it that you have in "common")

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Performing the worship set.

Oh, I forgot. Which you move into.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget that the best way to prove your ideas have logical structure is to show that they all begin with the same letter. Or can be arranged to form a cutesy acronym.

(Although to be fair this is beloved of the pointy-haired boss school of management as well.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"And finally," used to mean the sermon is almost half way through.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

I was actually teased at a church event for my habit of saying 'please sit' or 'please sit down' instead of the 'proper' 'please be seated'. I was not amused. [Mad]
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
Don't forget that the best way to prove your ideas have logical structure is to show that they all begin with the same letter. Or can be arranged to form a cutesy acronym.

(Although to be fair this is beloved of the pointy-haired boss school of management as well.)

Which leads to another aspect of Revspeak: borrowing vocabulary from business leadership models. See "shared vision", "buy in", "pursuit of excellence", "mission statement", "political capitol" and "incentivizing"... (Closely related to mastering the art of writing books composed of three rather obvious statements written in large font with wide margins interspersed with one cutesy analogy involving a frog and hot water or a mouse and his cheese.)

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
"And finally," used to mean the sermon is almost half way through.

There is some biblical precedent for that...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

One of our worship leaders is keen on the term 'Son worship' which sounds way too Aztec for my liking.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the phrase "Let us pray" said at the end of the readings, psalms and etcs in a service if Morning Prayer, before the prayers of intercession. What the speaker thinks we have been doing for the last 15 mins or so is utterly beyond my comprehension.... [Mad]
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:
quote:
quote:

And you were released into this ministry by passing your driving test...
Our Vicar elevated it to the status of "The highest honour ministry". In our context it meant putting the chairs out/ away.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
And the phrase "Let us pray"....

Do you ever feel the urge to intone back "Do we have to?" Or on a better day, "O, all right then".

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

"Lettuce Pray? I will never be cruel to a salad again."

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Or "Let us spray" at the blessing of the animals.

[Miss Amanda will get her wrap.]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016