homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Name that kitten (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Name that kitten
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the Various Islands thread in All Saints, St Gwladys has posted this:

quote:
We are having a silver Abyssinian kitten in about two months and can't think of a suitable name which all three of us like. Has anyone any suggestions? (We won't guarantee to take them up!)
Your suggestions are welcome...
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Arian
Hi Ho
Zinnia
Katzi

... or depending on its personality,

Mog
The Thug
Buster
Sir Eatalot

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about Koyaanis Katzi ( [Biased] )?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oedipuss (because Oedipuss dat lives here...)

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Former Abyssinia place names are an absolute treasury of cat names - Bonga, Axum, Lalibela, Tullu Milki.

Either that or Sir or Madam as appropriate.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alexandria after the place the breed progenitor came from.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kitten is male. We already have a 6 month old usual female called Arianwen - which ironically, means "silver white". Our previous kitten was Gwenllian, previous male Aby's have included Mordecai and Safadin (already named when we had him)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Teilhard
Shipmate
# 16342

- Posted      Profile for Teilhard   Email Teilhard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much to my everlasting annoyance, a few years ago the international authority on binomial nomenclature changed the long accepted name of the familiar domestic cat from "Felis domestica" to "Felis catus" …

*sigh* … So in honor of what the proper name should still have been, I suggest naming the kitty, "Domestica" ...

Posts: 401 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keeping with the male names how about Tiglath. My father has always wanted to name a cat that.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One son and his wife have had a series of Abyssinians. They suggest observing behaviour for a while before settling on a name.

One was Dennis, after Dennis the Menace.

The last one was Sweetpea who died at a ripe old age a few months ago. The name was originally a nickname which stuck.

Another was named after the model Claudia Schiffer. Somewhat empty headed although beautiful, the name was changed to Claudia Shitter as poor Claudia could never work out which part of her body was supposed to overhang the litter box.

[ 09. March 2015, 20:27: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Names for cats from history in my family: Turnip, Kitticato, Pussicato, Stew, Mumma Puss, Alfred Hitch-chat, Fritzoff Del Snoral, Twinkles, Bipolar, Flop Mop, Cherry Whiskey, Damn Spot, and Kommst Du. Kommst Du was later shortened to Stew, and he did come when called, stopping after he had a bladder infection and had to take female hormones until he had to be put down because he peed down all of the floor furnace ducts (forced air heating). Fritz was epileptic. Bipolar was rather high energy.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Keeping with the male names how about Tiglath. My father has always wanted to name a cat that.

Jengie

Darllenwr saw this and suggested Tiglath Pillager [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
The last one was Sweetpea who died at a ripe old age a few months ago. The name was originally a nickname which stuck.

It has occurred to me that my cat, Lissa, doesn't actually know that that is her name because, 95% of the time, I am calling her "sweetie".

I find it impossible to properly name a cat until I see him or her. A name needs to fit the personality.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I ever get two kittens, I have vowed to name them Adiaphora and Ephemera. Addie and Effie for short.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this thread designed to generate Famous Last Posts?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cat.

to be pronounced See a tea.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
Much to my everlasting annoyance, a few years ago the international authority on binomial nomenclature changed the long accepted name of the familiar domestic cat from "Felis domestica" to "Felis catus" …

*sigh* … So in honor of what the proper name should still have been, I suggest naming the kitty, "Domestica" ...

They were right to so pronounce. F. catus was described by Linnaeus in 1758; F. domestica is a junior synonym from 1777 and as such is invalid.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a child of the 80s it is my obligation to point out that the only two possible names are Jess and Cringer.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My disaster prone orange kitty was named Catastrophe after one too many trips to the vet for stitches. Some cats just fall into those situations.

Another one with a special 'look' was Fuzzy Butt.

A physical feature may give a clue to the kitty's True Name™.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our first cat was unusually small, weak and timid when he arrived. He needed an antidote to all that and so was named Hercules. He grew up to become the village terrorist.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once posted on a list requesting cat names, but ended up considering my cat: Jeoffry

cheers from Boston [where I hope the snow will melt in good order..]

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once had intermittent custody of a young ginger tom I tried to name MacGregor.

He would turn up hungry (always), hang around for a few days stuffing himself and sleeping, and then disappear for a week or 10 days. Just as I'd give him up for lost, he'd appear again.

In the fall, when all the neighbors were out raking leaves one afternoon, the subject of cats came up. It turns out this cat had acquired six or seven part-time "owners," each of us christening him with a different name.

We knew we couldn't change this leopard's wandering spots, but we did decide on a common name: Interkitty.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the initials lot, we had TC (That Cat) and VP (Vicious Puma).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my two are Butch and Lady. in the past I have had: Tom, Anna, Rosa, Joe, Squeak, Lea, Lily and then the triplets Moe, Larry and Aloysius.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
T S Eliot "The Naming of Cats"

[ 10. March 2015, 01:40: Message edited by: Nicolemr ]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent]
quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
... ended up considering my cat: Jeoffry

Thanks JR - I now have a rather classy Benjamin Britten earworm. [Big Grin]
[/tangent]

If it's a white cat, how about Catablanca?

Sorry - that was the best I could come up with. [Two face]

[ 10. March 2015, 02:05: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
I once posted on a list requesting cat names, but ended up considering my cat: Jeoffry

My first two cats were Jeoffry and Selima -- Selima was Horace Walpole's cat and the subject of Thomas Gray's "Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Gold Fishes."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kushite royal names (remember, Kush was "Ethiopia" to classical writers: Taharqa (the king who set up an ultramarathon for his soldiers, with a course from the Faiyum to Memphis); Shabako; Kashta.

Other ancient notables that come to mind when considering cat names are Ptolemy (particularly Ptolemy I) and Darius.

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We looked after a pretty silver Abyssinian, called Pussy Willow, for my aunt when she was abroad when I was a child. She was a very nervous cat who didn't like our rumbustious household and spent most of her stay being rescued from situations she didn't like such as visiting dogs, building work, ladders she thought looked interesting, initially.

I had a cat that adopted me for a while, having walked 16 miles to return to "his street". He came with a name but was mostly known as Thug as he ran the street and Six-Dinner Sid. He was big enough to not fit the standard cat boxes for his trips to the vet and had particularly good Scottish Wildcat markings. His big fluffy coat needed brushing regularly; a hazardous exercise: he would tolerate it for as long as he was enjoying it, but the second he had enough he would attack the hand with the brush, claws unsheathed.

He wasn't quite as bad a thug as my grandmother's rescue cat. He was found in a ditch left to drown as a poor sad waif of a kitten but grew to be a brute and outlived the grandmother. He was renamed as Gorbachev by my sister when she looked after him for a year or so and The Cat by my parents who then gave him house room when my grandmother's bungalow was sold. Neither could face calling something that looked like a big Sylvester and got into as many scrapes, Dotty, as my grandmother had named him.

For those who have wandering cats who visit others, the children's book Six Dinner Sid is worth reading. In the book Sid was very happy eating six dinners but not so impressed by six visits to the vet.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All cats should have the name Spawn of Satan That said, there is one cat here which goes by the name of OUT

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tiddles

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father-in-law named at least two of their cats "Choux".

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

If you're thinking along those lines, Bogoff might do, or Leavit Alloan.

There's always Furball, Hairball, Nitwit, Snatcher, or Dandelion.

The Pocket Peril if it's small. Greymalkin if it seems mysterious, or unoriginal though it is, Smoky.

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you asked him what he wants to be called. I asked my late sofa buddy and apparently she was called Melf.

A friend of mine has a cat called Seefer, a dog called Deefer and a fish called Effer.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cats do change names as they grow. We had a tortoiseshell farm cat called Sarah, but when she had her first kitten, she became Mum-Puss. Then a later kitten of hers, whom we named Allsorts, grew up and had kittens of her own. Inevitably, she became Wee Mum-Puss.

[ 10. March 2015, 11:32: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Cats do change names as they grow.

Or as you check more closely. My mum's cat, Holly, was originally named Ollie but after the vet broke the news, she thought a change was appropriate.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a beautiful black cat named Agnes.

It suited her perfectly, she was a beautiful, regal, haughty cat.

We got her as a young adult from the Cats Protection League. Sometime later we realised that her former name must have been "Beauty" because she responded to it.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take the time to read this fairy tale. It is a great one. I have a collection of Grimms' stories I have treasured since early childhood, and this one was told to my boys countless times. In fact the last phrase "and that is the way of the world" is often said.
The Cat and the Mouse in Partnership

If I tried to shorten the story by leaving out some details, I was corrected forthwith. They wanted it word for word. And giggled every single time at the names of the so-called kitten god-children.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Part of our problem is that we will need to have a name for the kitten to be registered before we have him.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose "Matelot" is out of the question? [Smile]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haile as in the late emperor Haile Selassie seems an appropriate moniker for an Abyssinian moggy.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

The true test of a suitable name for a pet is whether you might feel self-conscious standing there bellowing it across the back garden.
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
quote:
Cats do change names as they grow.

Or as you check more closely. My mum's cat, Holly, was originally named Ollie but after the vet broke the news, she thought a change was appropriate.
Yes; a cat from my childhood was hastily re-named Gustricia after depositing 6 newborn kittens in a desk drawer not long after taking up residence with us.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cats do change names as they grow. ...

Of course. When a kitten they are called "Appetizer". As they fatten up, they are called "Dinner".

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The true test of a suitable name for a pet is whether you might feel self-conscious standing there bellowing it across the back garden.

Ah yes...the evenings several decades ago when I stood on the back porch calling "Meow, Meow" -- the cat had been named "Meowser" by our then 3 year old son. And the wretched animal never failed to come galloping in when I called.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:

Jengie

The ancient king sounds horrible in the Wiki article, but Tigleth is still a damned fine name for a cat.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend's late cat was named Flannel. That was the most adorable cat name ever, and he lived up to it - cuddliest little thing. My girl cat, who might live forever out of spite, looked a lot like Flannel, so, given her abrasive personality, I call her Taffeta. Vets' assistants - invariably female - always try to pronounce it "taf-FEET-uh." By contrast, my choir director (a man) got it right away: "As in prom dress?"

But I do recommend Flannel, at least if it's a cuddly or affectionate cat.

Most of my friends have had either themes for their multiple pets (from one friend who simply numbered them, to an Evangelical philosopher who named them after famous atheists, to my sister, whose cats were named for women artists). My favorite pet name for comedic value was the stray hamster my friend took in during the winter. Because the little guy was coming into a household with 4 cats and a snake, it got named "Dinner." Happily, its name did not become its fate.

I don't really know how else to give suggestions other than these anecdotes and examples, so I hope you don't mind.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Ah yes...the evenings several decades ago when I stood on the back porch calling "Meow, Meow" -- the cat had been named "Meowser" by our then 3 year old son. And the wretched animal never failed to come galloping in when I called.

John

Just think how much worse it would have been if it did not come...

At least with cats, it is only in the back garden. I have discovered that standing in a field yelling "Reckless" tends to be regarded as a conversation opener by other walkers.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cats of my childhood were Tiger and Tea Moss -- the latter my attempt at 'Maltese.'

The cats of my adult years were 1) Miss Catherine Alexandra Climpson, 2) Eloise (who lives at the Plaza) and 3) Jeoffry.

#1 would only 'answer' to 'Miss Climpson,' disdaining either 'Catherine' or horrors! 'Kitty.' #2 was acquired as a kitten to keep #1 from being lonely when we were out of the house, and was a holy terror -- hence her name. #3 was big and black and semi-Persian, adopted on a very cold night. His name always had to be explained to non-musical visitors.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a black cat and an orange one, siblings. I named the black Ashurbanipal and the orange Tiglath-Pileser, which I still think are perfect. My school-aged daughter, disgusted, renamed them Cineza and Fuego, because she was taking Spanish at the time. Both sets of names cancelled each other out, and they defaulted to the lowest common denominator names, Little Black and Tiger.

Then we acquired a Scottish Fold. This time I was sensible, and decreed that all Folds in my life should be named after Scottish single malt whiskeys. So he is named Tobermorey. If I ever acquire another Fold (and he is a dark tabby) he will be named Talisker. An orange cat will be properly named Glenmorangie.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016