homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The next person I hear... (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The next person I hear...
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
tosspot

mr cheesy, you have made many pertinent points and given some strong arguments on this thread. Being unnecessarily rude doesn't enhance those arguments; it detracts from them. Just my opinion, as someone who agrees with much of what you say.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
Perhaps it would be ironic if it were true. But it's not. As I've just pointed out. They could have their marriages legally validated by the state by repeating their vows in front of one of the state's minsters - a C of E cleric. And that is precisely what they tended to do, often encouraged by their own Catholic priests.

Read what I actually wrote, tosspot.
I did. And what you actually said was:
quote:
all non-Anglicans (except the Quakers and Jews) have only been able to have valid legal marriages since 1836 in England because of the civil marriage law.
Which is not true.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
So let's go back to that, then.
Catholics can have a Catholic ceremony and then, if they feel the need to be legitimate, they go somewhere else and get married.

Really, under the circumstances, I think that would be for the best.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just need someone to post that they Thought This Was a Christian Website™ and I'll have a Full House in IngoBingo.

As everyone knows SoF is biased against Roman Catholicism✔

Help, help, I'm being oppressed by the state allowing others to do things I don't approve of ✔

As everyone knows, natural theology proves Roman Catholic dogma is correct ✔

The Inquisition was conducted by just some Spanish Catholics and had no official status in Catholicism ✔

You are much too rude for hell ✔

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
all non-Anglicans (except the Quakers and Jews) have only been able to have valid legal marriages since 1836 in England because of the civil marriage law.
Which is not true.
Which part of this are you not able to understand? Roman Catholic marriages before 1836 were not a thing recognised by the state. The only marriages which were recognised by the state were those conducted in Anglican, Quaker and Jewish congregations.

Therefore Roman Catholic marriages were not legal. The only time they became legal was when the illegal relationship was made legal in an Anglican church.

--------------------
arse

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some good stuff on this thread. Orfeo summarized the stuff about the patriarchal nature of traditional marriage very well - under coverture, women were really chattels, or brood-mares. Thus, the changes to this in the 19th century were the beginning of great changes to marriage. Hence a view of marriage in aspic seems quite odd today, it has always adapted to social conditions.

Second, Le Roc's point about objective morality - well, I have never really understood this, if by it, one means morality independent of opinion. Granted, the theist can argue that God ordains such a morality, but that is his opinion.

A secular objective morality - by gum, a very strange beast. It reminds me of that old joke, when asking directions of someone, and they say, well, I wouldn't start from here. Alas, here is where we are.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're going to play Ingo Bingo (nice one!) then I propose we up the stakes a bit. By involving alcohol.

Ingo proves something by analogy → down one shot (we might be in hospital pretty soon)

If his analogy involves a three legged dog, of course all players do the three legged dog dance, while downing the shot (playing this song is optional).

Ingo makes a claim and says it is up to his opponent to prove that his claim is false → make your neighbour down a shot.

Ingo claims that he has proven something by just stating with much chutzpah that he has done so → all players shout Jawohl! and hit their glass hard on the table before downing their shot. If there is anything in the glass left. Or if there is a glass left.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
quote:
quote:
Which is not true.
Which part of this are you not able to understand?
"Understand"? All of it, I'm afraid - including the bit I've italicised.

I hate to be picky, but if you didn't mean to imply - as you do above - that Catholics could not be legally married to one another (whilst remaining unimpeachably Catholic) before 1836, it was open to you to express yourself more accurately.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Which is not true.
Which part of this are you not able to understand?
"Understand"? All of it, I'm afraid - including the bit I've italicised.

I hate to be picky, but if you didn't mean to imply - as you do above - that Catholics could not be legally married to one another (whilst remaining unimpeachably Catholic) before 1836, it was open to you to express yourself more accurately.

Then get better glasses:

I said 16 July, 2015 09:34
quote:

I repeat, nobody in any seriousness is arguing against the provisions of the Marriage Act 1836, which took away the rights of declaring who was and was not married from the Anglican Church in England. Because that would be stupid.

You said 16 July, 2015 20:35

quote:
And, by the way, the 1836 Marriage Act did not prevent Roman Catholics from having their marriages recognised by the state, nor did it forbid them to marry in a Catholic ceremony with a Catholic priest: it merely required them to repeat the vows in front of an Anglican priest, which was the legally validating bit. Just like you're not married as far as the French state is concerned util you've been to the mairie, even if you've been "done" in the Church already.
The quote of mine you have at the top of this post was from 16 July, 2015 21:26, which was obviously in the context of what I had posted before, and was after my post of 16 July, 2015 21:23

So basically you are trying to make me say something I never said. Which, frankly, is fucking disgusting.

--------------------
arse

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
If we're going to play Ingo Bingo (nice one!) then I propose we up the stakes a bit. By involving alcohol.

Ingo proves something by analogy → down one shot (we might be in hospital pretty soon)

If his analogy involves a three legged dog, of course all players do the three legged dog dance, while downing the shot (playing this song is optional).

Ingo makes a claim and says it is up to his opponent to prove that his claim is false → make your neighbour down a shot.

Ingo claims that he has proven something by just stating with much chutzpah that he has done so → all players shout Jawohl! and hit their glass hard on the table before downing their shot. If there is anything in the glass left. Or if there is a glass left.

The last two paragraphs made me laugh out loud. Just about the best bit of my day.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc - And if he talks about dogs eating chocolate, we all down chocolate daiquiris. Or maybe not (vomiting noises stage left).

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quetzalcoatl: LeRoc - And if he talks about dogs eating chocolate, we all down chocolate daiquiris. Or maybe not (vomiting noises stage left).
Thus proving the validity of natural moral law theory [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just need someone to post that they Thought This Was a Christian Website™ and I'll have a Full House in IngoBingo.

As everyone knows SoF is biased against Roman Catholicism✔

Help, help, I'm being oppressed by the state allowing others to do things I don't approve of ✔

As everyone knows, natural theology proves Roman Catholic dogma is correct ✔

The Inquisition was conducted by just some Spanish Catholics and had no official status in Catholicism ✔

You are much too rude for hell ✔

Meh. You can add:

The whole point of Hell is that I can be as much of a dick as I want* ✔

* It's not - but it's great at enabling dicks to expose themselves.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

mr cheesy, I have no idea what you're talking about. This whole issue was started when you ever-so-politley picked up on my error (which you quote back at me in its uncorrected form again above) which I acknowledged and corrected.

No-one is saying that you want to go back to the days when Catholics had separately to ratify their marriges in front of a state representative. I'm certainly not. But having correctly stated that Catholics could before 1836 have their marriages legally ok-ed by the state by those means, you subsequently went on to say (again, with my emphasis):
quote:
all non-Anglicans (except the Quakers and Jews) have only been able to have valid legal marriages since 1836 in England[.]
Which, however you read it, is false. Highly misleading, at best.

I take you at your word that you did not actually mean to imply that Catholics could not be legally married before 1836, but that is the most obvious meaning of those words, and anyone coming along at this stage of the argument, without having read your previous posts, would think that is what you meant and that it had gone unchallenged. Believe it or not, by that stage even I genuinely wasn't sure what you were getting at by saying it.

I'm all for fairness and accuracy here, especially with so much suspicion and attribution of ill motives - which is precisely why I corrected myself when you pointed out my careless error. That and not wanting to seem even more ignorant than I am. You, of course, must do as you please. But first reflect on whether coming across as an angry arsehole is the look you're going for.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Which, however you read it, is false. Highly misleading, at best.

Nope, not wrong at all. Roman Catholic marriage is not a thing unless a Registrar is present in England. Not misleading, absolutely accurate. Prior to the 1836 there were no circumstances where a Roman Catholic could be legally married in a Roman Catholic Church.

quote:
I take you at your word that you did not actually mean to imply that Catholics could not be legally married before 1836,
They could not be legally married in a Roman Catholic Church.

quote:
but that is the most obvious meaning of those words, and anyone coming along at this stage of the argument, without having read your previous posts, would think that is what you meant and that it had gone unchallenged. Believe it or not, by that stage even I genuinely wasn't sure what you were getting at by saying it.
I'll take the 'don't believe it option'.

quote:
I'm all for fairness and accuracy here, especially with so much suspicion and attribution of ill motives - which is precisely why I corrected myself when you pointed out my careless error. That and not wanting to seem even more ignorant than I am. You, of course, must do as you please. But first reflect on whether coming across as an angry arsehole is the look you're going for.
Fuck off. You are perfectly willing to misrepresent and misinterpret and generally lie about other posters to put your point across. Even when it is total shite.

[ 17. July 2015, 10:59: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Meanwhile in this pretence about the definition of words, the point is obscured: namely that the civil law was rightly changed to allow other religions to have their marriage ceremonies recognised as legal via the provision of civil Registrars who attended their services.

Admitting this would be to admit that the civil law on marriage has been changed before to right an obvious unfairness, despite the majority of the population of England at the time being Anglican.

But of course, Tag Team Ingo wouldn't want to admit that, so instead they'll fail about pretending they lack the ability to comprehend.

--------------------
arse

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
Prior to the 1836 there were no circumstances where a Roman Catholic could be legally married in a Roman Catholic Church.

True. And unambiguous. But not what you actually said.

What you actually said - your most recent post on that issue - was (and I hate to repeat yourself):
quote:
all non-Anglicans (except the Quakers and Jews) have only been able to have valid legal marriages since 1836 in England[.]
Which is not the same thing. Which I pointed out.

Your smart option at that stage would have been to clarify your statement. Instead, you pulled out the outraged arsehole routine, and seem to be sticking to that tactic. Best of luck with that.

Anyway, just for the record, I did not deliberately "misrepresent and misinterpret and generally lie about" your or anyone else's posts. But at this stage in our "discussion", whether you actually believe that is a matter of happy indifference to me.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Alright, address the point that the civil law has been changed for the benefit of Roman Catholics and others (even though they were in the minority of society at the time) but somehow this is unacceptable when the minority concerned in 2015 are homosexuals - who apparently are in the minority and therefore should not have the definition of civil marriage redefined in their favour.

--------------------
arse

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
Meanwhile in this pretence about the definition of words, the point is obscured: namely that the civil law was rightly changed to allow other religions to have their marriage ceremonies recognised as legal via the provision of civil Registrars who attended their services.

Admitting this would be to admit that the civil law on marriage has been changed before to right an obvious unfairness, despite the majority of the population of England at the time being Anglican.

But it's not at all the same thing.

Before 1836 Catholics had recourse to legally recognised marriage on terms that, if irksome, were sanctioned by their own ecclesaistical authorities. The state never denied that Roman Catholics, whilst being and continuing to be Roman Catholics, could be legally married.

There was never any question as to whether RC were the kind of subjects which could naturally or legally fall under the terms of marriage. No-one doubted they could be married - nor that those who followed the proceedures were in fact married. It was only a question of whether their ministers and rites ought to have the sanction of the law (whether by in effect acting as registrars themselves (as is the case in Scotland) or by having official resgistrars present) to effect marriage in the eyes of the state.

I doubt if anyone even doubted that RC ministers/rites could be so sanctioned by the law - it was rather a question of whether they ought to be so sanctioned.

So there's a real disanalogy between this and the case of same-sex marriage.

[ 17. July 2015, 11:37: Message edited by: Chesterbelloc ]

--------------------

Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Second, Le Roc's point about objective morality - well, I have never really understood this, if by it, one means morality independent of opinion. Granted, the theist can argue that God ordains such a morality, but that is his opinion.

A secular objective morality - by gum, a very strange beast. It reminds me of that old joke, when asking directions of someone, and they say, well, I wouldn't start from here. Alas, here is where we are.

The definition of all words is 'opinion' in the sense that small or large groups of language users collectively agree on the definitions of words. So what the word 'morality' means is always going to be an "opinion". So in that sense you can never have an objective morality because you can never have an objective anything. So that's not a very useful measure, and probably why you're confused.

The more interesting question is, of the various things have that people use the word morality to refer to, are there any significant sorts of differences between them?

To some people "morality" is about basically "the list of things various people in my life have told me are good/evil". Obviously that's going to be a very arbitrary list and different from person to person. For others it's "the things my culture has said are good and evil", and such a list is obviously going to vary from culture to culture, although cultures are ultimately evolutionarily constrained in so far as some types of moral code will cause them to die out so we won't see those ones existing for long (but an example of that sort can be seen in some of the early gnostic forms of Christianity, which I understand some scholars think comprised the majority Christian view in terms of sheer number of adherents around 200AD or so, but which ultimately were uncompetitive due to teaching their adherents not to have children, and thus requiring an unsustainable rate of converts).

A type of morality pretty similar to "whatever my culture happens to tell me" we have morality as "the things my Holy Book tells me are good and evil" which obviously vary from religion to religion. Alternatively people might think it's "the things which God has decided to command", which is obviously leaving a lot up to God in terms of which commands to decide to give, or similarly something like "the things which Our Glorious Leader Kim Jong Il deigns to command" which again leaves a lot options.

However, a lot of secular thinkers (and liberal Christian, and Buddhist for that matter) have reached a general consensus that morality is about the intention to do good or harm to others, and whether the results of actions are good or harmful: ie whether the interactions between one conscious being and another are characterized by positive or negative intentions, and/or results. There's a lot of different ways of framing that which basically come out in the wash as largely the same thing. You can think of it as maximizing wellbeing, or you can think of it as having positive intentions, or you can think of it as what a benevolent dispassionate 3rd party would want for the people involved, or you can think about it as if you were a disembodied observer who didn't yet know which of the actors in the situation you will become so who wants out of selfish motivations to optimize their chances at a good life when you become embodied as one of the actors, etc.

Compared to the other sorts of morality I surveyed above, this one leaves a lot less open to arbitrariness once it is selected as the definition. In that sense, once selected, it provides an objective standard for measuring all interactions between conscious intentioned beings in all cultures in all times and including God himself, and the content of its moral code is unchanging and not open to arbitrary selection.

It is however open to a process of scientific discovery, because a growing knowledge of the world will inform our understanding of what things promote human wellbeing and what things do not. So, for example, we can learn that gay people suffer significant emotional and psychological distress resulting from the social stigma and prejudice reflected in laws against them marrying, and we can measure the harm done in terms of depression, alcoholism, suicides etc that this causes. And so we can come to realize a ban on gay marriage to be much more wrong than we might have once thought. So given a definition of morality as about the promotion of wellbeing, we can then label such marriage bans as objectively immoral and evil.

Posts: 745 | From: NZ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Very interesting, Starlight.

I think there are some flaws in that reasoning. First, 'once selected', seems odd to me, since that selection cannot be objective, since it must involve a subject or subjects.

Your stuff about well-being and doing harm sounds rather like Sam Harris's attempts in his book, 'The Moral Landscape'. I suppose the flaw again is that it's not very clear what a positive intention is, and how the context frames it.

Thus, to quote an ancient example, killing somebody involves harm, but may be viewed as highly moral when people do it in war to defend their country. London is full of statues of men who did huge amounts of harm to others. Of course, they had positive intentions towards their own country, but this strikes me as a subjective morass.

Granted, there are things like rape and torture, which are pretty universally condemned. However, consensus does not = objectivity.

Isn't this the flaw in IngoB's presentation - that he wants to claim that if something is naturally ordered to X, this can be used in moral discrimination. Thus, eating and then deliberately vomiting is immoral, fucking and not wanting babies, is immoral and so on.

But it all depends on where you start, as usual. The whole notion of 'naturally ordered to' is tendentious, since nature admits no teleology, unless we grant it one. (For example, evolution has no direction).

And then there is the is/ought problem. Does the fact that I do X, mean that I ought to do X? Or how do you get from one to t'other.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

quote:
Originally posted by Starlight:
It is however open to a process of scientific discovery, because a growing knowledge of the world will inform our understanding of what things promote human wellbeing and what things do not.

There's been a lot on this thread about morality relating to human wellbeing, but doesn't a wider understanding of morality go beyond that? Ecological concerns go beyond just ensuring that humanity has a future on this planet. Animal welfare, preservation, protecting natural resources, protecting species from extinction; these things might have a subsequent effect on human wellbeing, but the moral drive behind them tends to see them as good & upright on their own, whether or not people are around to appreciate them.

[ 17. July 2015, 12:47: Message edited by: goperryrevs ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:

Before 1836 Catholics had recourse to legally recognised marriage on terms that, if irksome, were sanctioned by their own ecclesaistical authorities. The state never denied that Roman Catholics, whilst being and continuing to be Roman Catholics, could be legally married.

I don't see why this is relevant: anyone before 1836 could be married, providing it was in an Anglican church. The law was changed to allow Roman Catholics to be married in their own churches and via their own rites, rather than via religious ministers they did not recognise.

1836 was a change in the civil marriage law. That's just a fact.

quote:
There was never any question as to whether RC were the kind of subjects which could naturally or legally fall under the terms of marriage. No-one doubted they could be married - nor that those who followed the proceedures were in fact married.
Totally irrelevant. As discussed, the point was that it was deemed unfair to expect practitioners of other religions to be remarried by Anglican priests in order to be valid, and therefore the system of state Registrars was set up, and the definition of marriage was changed.

quote:
It was only a question of whether their ministers and rites ought to have the sanction of the law (whether by in effect acting as registrars themselves (as is the case in Scotland) or by having official resgistrars present) to effect marriage in the eyes of the state.
That's just wrong. The state did not and does not sanction any ministers or rites outwith of the Anglicans (other than Jews and Quakers) where the priests are defacto Registrars.

In 1836, the only legal marriages outwith of those in Anglican/Jewish/Quakers were those in a) registered buildings b) with a Registrar present and c) with two witnesses.

The Act states that the participants should be free to marry and that they should say:

quote:
"I call upon these persons here present to witness that I, A. B. do take thee, C. D., to be my lawful wedded Wife [or Husband]."
There are some warnings against making false promises and oaths, but clearly there is nothing specifically here sanctioning Roman Catholic rites or ministers any more than non-conformist ministers or anyone else.

And that is essentially how it remains today. In 1898, a law was passed enabling non-conformist ministers to take on the role of Assistant Registrars, and today it is common for ministers or other members of religious congregations to register marriages in their buildings.

quote:
I doubt if anyone even doubted that RC ministers/rites could be so sanctioned by the law - it was rather a question of whether they ought to be so sanctioned.
Nope, it really wasn't. It was a straightforward issue of fairness. It wasn't fair to expect non-Anglicans to only be able to be married in an Anglican church, so the law was changed.

quote:
So there's a real disanalogy between this and the case of same-sex marriage.
But this is the meat of the issue: you've not shown at all how there is any kind of 'disanalogy' here. The fact is that the civil marriage law exists outwith of the Roman Catholic Church dogma already. People can already be married in England and Wales by other religions or via the Register Office that could never be married in the Roman Catholic Church.

But that doesn't stop you using the law to legally marry people in England and Wales. You are using a law which allows people to do things you morally object to. So what is the difference?

[ 17. July 2015, 12:51: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

You'll have to wait until this evening before I've got time to reply that.

--------------------

Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

- Posted      Profile for Starlight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I think there are some flaws in that reasoning. First, 'once selected', seems odd to me, since that selection cannot be objective, since it must involve a subject or subjects.

Well I think there's a certain level of inescapable choice involved - there are competing ideas of what makes for a moral code, so at that meta-level it's all relative. However the various possible moral codes have different attributes, and comparing them against each other can be useful both in highlighting differences and informing the choice of which one a person wants to pick and why.

quote:
Your stuff about well-being and doing harm sounds rather like Sam Harris's attempts in his book, 'The Moral Landscape'.
Yes. Sam Harris is one of many modern thinkers who would endorse the view I described.

quote:
I suppose the flaw again is that it's not very clear what a positive intention is, and how the context frames it.

Thus, to quote an ancient example, killing somebody involves harm, but may be viewed as highly moral when people do it in war to defend their country. London is full of statues of men who did huge amounts of harm to others. Of course, they had positive intentions towards their own country, but this strikes me as a subjective morass.

To clarify, the positive intentions are always measured with respect to the wellbeing of conscious entities. So the act to deliberately kill someone involves negative intentions, as it's intended as a harm. (Unless its euthanasia, where the intention is to reduce the suffering experienced by a conscious entity, and thus a benevolent intention.)

An intention to "defend the country" doesn't have a moral quality insofar if it's about an abstract idea and not about people, but if by "defend the country" is meant "protect the wellbeing of the people within the country, whom out of benevolent love I am willing to sacrifice my life fighting to defend the wellbeing of" then it's clearly a positive intention. But intending to harm the enemy is a negative intention. So any form of war or violence becomes an act that is both good and evil simultaneously in different ways. In that sense, this moral code can never fully endorse war or violence, as such things will always carry a negative moral component - the best that can be said is that the benefits might outweigh the harms overall.

quote:
Granted, there are things like rape and torture, which are pretty universally condemned.
Well they are examples of one person intentionally hurting another, which is basically immoral by definition according to the above standard.

quote:
Isn't this the flaw in IngoB's presentation - that he wants to claim that if something is naturally ordered to X, this can be used in moral discrimination. Thus, eating and then deliberately vomiting is immoral, fucking and not wanting babies, is immoral and so on.
Well the problem with such a standard is that "naturally ordered" is not really a coherent concept, insofar as everything humans do and make is artificial, and being intentioned conscious entities we impose our own purposes on things we make and use. "If man were meant to fly, God would have given him wings" is the proverbial example of how silly a standard of "natural order" ends up being.

quote:
But it all depends on where you start, as usual. The whole notion of 'naturally ordered to' is tendentious, since nature admits no teleology, unless we grant it one.
Exactly. So Ingo's standard is arbitrary and incoherent, and leads to massive disagreements.

By comparison, international surveys, and cross-cultural comparisons show a widespread consensus among all cultures as to the kinds of things that constitute human wellbeing (physical health, positive emotions, positive relationships, a sense of meaning and belonging, freedom, a sense of accomplishment, life satisfaction, etc). The biggest differences are that some cultures put a slightly heavier emphasis on one type of 'good' than another (eg Chinese people tend to rank positive emotions as less important than Westerners tend to), so there could potentially be disagreement between people in terms of how they thought examples involving a number of different harms and benefits that involved different types of values ought to be resolved (eg say an action led to a decrease in happiness and joy among people but led to an increase in their sense of purpose and meaning... people who rated one type of good particularly highly might favour the first choice, while others might favour the second, but everyone would acknowledge the situation is not optimal and that one type of good is being sacrificed in favour of another).

quote:
And then there is the is/ought problem. Does the fact that I do X, mean that I ought to do X? Or how do you get from one to t'other.
A rational person will act in accordance with whatever they value. So a person who values the wellbeing of others, will a consider a given situation and say "well, given the situation is the way it currently is, how ought I to act if my goal is to maximize the wellbeing of all involved?"
Starlight
Shipmate
# 12651

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
There's been a lot on this thread about morality relating to human wellbeing, but doesn't a wider understanding of morality go beyond that? Ecological concerns go beyond just ensuring that humanity has a future on this planet. Animal welfare, preservation, protecting natural resources, protecting species from extinction; these things might have a subsequent effect on human wellbeing, but the moral drive behind them tends to see them as good & upright on their own, whether or not people are around to appreciate them.

Since animals are conscious entities, their wellbeing is generally regarded as morally relevant. Most people seem to think their importance should be scaled based on the level of mental functioning of the animal: So we can still kill stinging insects, but we should be kind to dolphins.

The wellbeing of the environment has obvious relevance to the wellbeing of the humans and animals who live in it. So most people who hold to the importance of human wellbeing in their moral code have quite strong views on the importance of environmental concerns.

I think very very very few people would argue that plant life, in and of itself (eg on a planet with no animals or humans) is morally relevant. It is not conscious, and thus can have no experiences of any kind, good or bad, and thus is no more morally relevant than a rock (ie not at all) in the eyes of most moral philosophers. What makes plants valuable is the benefits they provide to the wellbeing of animals and humans (which can, of course, be purely psychological, eg "it makes me happy to think of the forest just being there").

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

quote:
Originally posted by Starlight:
I think very very very few people would argue that plant life, in and of itself (eg on a planet with no animals or humans) is morally relevant.

I dunno. I think that many people have an innate admiration for the holiness of all creation. If I come across a beautiful rare flower (for example) in the wilderness, then it would somehow feel morally wrong to just stomp on it. I don't think I'm alone in that.

Obviously it's difficult to detach the various elements at play (destroying it may reduce my enjoyment of nature, or someone else's who might happen across it, it might be a rare species, and so on). But, isolating the act from all those other considerations (if that were possible), is the decision to stomp or not really morally neutral? I might get enjoyment from the destructive act of stomping, so doesn't that increase my human wellbeing?

Obviously the other dynamic of hierarchy of importance that you refer to. So, my desire not to get bitten overrides a mosquito's right to life. But we do have that feeling that kids who burn ants under a magnifying glass just for fun are doing something 'wrong'. However, pouring boiling water over an ant nest in my drive so that the buggers didn't keep coming into my kitchen didn't feel so wrong.

Anyway, this is all probably a tangent that is irrelevant to this thread, but I've been wondering how non-human wellbeing fitted into all this talk about morality...

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, we're going well off-topic. Various attempts at describing objective morality, such as Sam Harris's, strike me as involving a kind of sleight of hand, quite skilful, so that the subjective beginning is deftly concealed. IngoB's views are similar, as if he is really being totally logical about morality, and yet at various points, one can detect legerdemain.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
They were based on a man selecting a woman to bear his children. The man basically owned her and her womb. This is no longer true.

I'm glad that you agree that traditionally marriage has been ordered to procreation, even if only for rhetorical purposes.

quote:
This is precisely the stuff about the role of women that you didn't want to talk about. The very reason that same-sex marriage is now viable is that women are no longer chattel. Marriage (at least for people who've managed to drag their thoughts into the last 40 years or so instead of holding onto a worldview that basically classified all women as either mothers or whores) is now a partnership between equals. It has changed. Okay? Can we end the thread now?

Rather obviously, nothing whatsoever has changed concerning the need of the human race to procreate. If the procreational institution "marriage" in the past was associated with unjust social structures, then we can rejoice that they have been removed. But these modern "partnerships of equals" of men and women, not men and men, and not women and women, still have to pop out babies and raise them to adults. If they don't, then this modern worldview will simply die with them. One can prolong demographic decay by importing people, of course. But notably this only works as long as someone in this world is still in the old-fashioned business of producing offspring. As our culture spreads around the world, so does demographic seppuku.

There are two reason though why I don't want to talk about that much. First, that women's liberation has been the ultimate good for society, and that any remaining problem with it is solely to blame on recalcitrant males resisting their reprogramming, is Trinity-level dogma for liberals. Try to discuss the obvious failure of women's liberation to deliver a demographically sustainable society, and you are in for about 20 pages of howling rage against reality. It's one taboo topic at a time for me, thanks very much. Second, I do have solutions for the "gay marriage" problem. Since that is merely a bit of ideological insanity, it is relatively easy to fix. But I do not have solutions for modern society that would solve the "couples and procreation" issue. I do not in fact think that we should go back to Victorian habits. But I also think that what we have now is not sustainable. What would be? Beats me.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did Malthus live and die in vain?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
quote:

I don't see why this is relevant: anyone before 1836 could be married, providing it was in an Anglican church. The law was changed to allow Roman Catholics to be married in their own churches and via their own rites, rather than via religious ministers they did not recognise.

1836 was a change in the civil marriage law. That's just a fact.

Yes, it's a fact. But what is it supposed to establish? Who has denied that there have been changes to the English marriage legislation over time? My point was that the difference between that situation and the current one with same-sex marriage is that first was a purely administrative change (although partly occasioned by a sense of equity) to an existingly recognised institution which continued to be understood just as it had been; whereas same-sex marriage required no administrative changes but did change something far more basic: the whole concept of who could even possibly be married to whom. Apples and oranges, mate.
quote:
quote:
There was never any question as to whether RC were the kind of subjects which could naturally or legally fall under the terms of marriage. No-one doubted they could be married - nor that those who followed the proceedures were in fact married.
Totally irrelevant. As discussed, the point was that it was deemed unfair to expect practitioners of other religions to be remarried by Anglican priests in order to be valid, and therefore the system of state Registrars was set up, and the definition of marriage was changed.
Really? How did it change the definition of marriage? When the law in England and Wales was changed in 1994 to allow marriages to take place in different venues, did that also change the definition of marriage in your book?
quote:
quote:
It was only a question of whether their ministers and rites ought to have the sanction of the law (whether by in effect acting as registrars themselves (as is the case in Scotland) or by having official resgistrars present) to effect marriage in the eyes of the state.
That's just wrong. The state did not and does not sanction any ministers or rites outwith of the Anglicans (other than Jews and Quakers) where the priests are defacto Registrars.
No, it's not wrong. From 1836 to 1898:
quote:
marriages by licence [could] take place in approved churches, chapels and nonconformist meeting houses, other than those of the Church of England. [...] When a nonconformist minister or other religious official, such as a rabbi, performed the ceremony it was necessary for the local registrar or his assistant to be present so that the marriage was legal.
Just as I said above. From 1898:
quote:
nonconformist ministers and other religious leaders could take on the role of notifying official, if so appointed, and on the condition that their premises were licensed for the solemnising of marriage.
Source.

Perhaps you could specify how what I said above contradicts any of that. Or, indeed, how it contradicts what you yourself go on to say further down in your post.

quote:
quote:
Nope, it really wasn't. It was a straightforward issue of fairness. It wasn't fair to expect non-Anglicans to only be able to be married in an Anglican church, so the law was changed.
What are you saying "nope" to in my statement? The idea that the state could empower non-conformists to become registrars or notifying officials so that people could be married in Catholic churches with Catholic rites without subsequently having to repeat their vows before a CofE cleric? The idea that this change was contemplated? The idea that some did doubt whether it was good to allow the change and in fact opposed it? I never denied that at least one factor motivating the change was fairness. I really don't know what you're objecting to here. Waht am I supposed to have got wrong, exactly?
quote:
But this is the meat of the issue: you've not shown at all how there is any kind of 'disanalogy' here.

I beg to differ.
quote:
The fact is that the civil marriage law exists outwith of the Roman Catholic Church dogma already. People can already be married in England and Wales by other religions or via the Register Office that could never be married in the Roman Catholic Church.

Well, duh. What are you trying to say that proves?
quote:
But that doesn't stop you using the law to legally marry people in England and Wales.

Why would it, and why would I want to suggest it would/should?
quote:
You are using a law which allows people to do things you morally object to. So what is the difference?

What is the difference between what? What is it you think the Catholic Church is doing that makes it so inconsistent or hypocritical?Continuing to let our marriages be recognised legally because same-sex couples can now do the same? Do you think that we should be spurning the state's recognition of our marriages and all the concommitant conveniences/benefits because we think the Church should not extend them to certain others? Like some kind of protest vote? Wouldn't that just be cutting off our noses to spite our faces? As long as there are benfits available from the state to help us support our marriages, I don't see how it makes us hypocrites to accept them - unless it becomes a condition of our doing so that we somehow formally endorse the same-sex and other unions we do not ourselves believe are equivalent.

Is that what you mean? I'm really not sure any more, to be honest.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Catholics can have a Catholic ceremony and then, if they feel the need to be legitimate, they go somewhere else and get married.

I think you misunderstand me.
I mean that there would be marriage. And there would be some other-named, not legally binding, not recognised outside of the RCC ceremony.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
It's one taboo topic at a time for me, thanks very much.

It's one and the same taboo topic, whether you like it or not.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

Also, before I go back to ignoring most of your writing again, can I just highlight the profound logical fallacy lying at the heart of your argument (and indeed at the heart of Catholic theology here) because it's just risen to the surface again.

The need of the human race to procreate is not the need of any individual human being to procreate. The need of the human race to procreate is not the duty of every human being to procreate.

Really, the argument you're making founders on that confusion. No one suggests that every human being must create food despite the fact that all human beings must eat.

[ 17. July 2015, 16:55: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Yes, it's a fact. But what is it supposed to establish? Who has denied that there have been changes to the English marriage legislation over time? My point was that the difference between that situation and the current one with same-sex marriage is that first was a purely administrative change (although partly occasioned by a sense of equity) to an existingly recognised institution which continued to be understood just as it had been; whereas same-sex marriage required no administrative changes but did change something far more basic: the whole concept of who could even possibly be married to whom. Apples and oranges, mate.

Bullshit. It changed the whole nature of the understanding of marriage under English law and took the state function of registering away from the religious and into the secular.

Funny how things you agree with are simply 'administrative' changes, whereas things you don't are a 'whole concept change'.

Apples and apples, dickwad.

quote:
Really? How did it change the definition of marriage? When the law in England and Wales was changed in 1994 to allow marriages to take place in different venues, did that also change the definition of marriage in your book?
Registration of marriage became a secular state function. Or at least it did outside of the Anglican church - in the process allowing the registration of other religions. This therefore changed the definition of marriage, which beforehand was (essentially) something determined by the state church.

And given the centuries of persecution of the Roman Catholics following Cromwell, it is a major change in the English concept of legal marriage to even allow them that. Ditto the non-conformists, who were for centuries essentially illegal religious bodies, now had suddenly become acceptable enough to allow them to conduct marriages.

quote:
Perhaps you could specify how what I said above contradicts any of that.
Roman Catholic ministers and rites were not sanctioned by law. In 1836, Roman Catholic marriages were only legalised in the presence of a Registrar. And there at no point did the law sanction ministers or rites - and in fact that has never happened.

The ability of RCC and other non-conformist churches to have marriages without a state Registrar present is because they've nominated a member of their congregation to be a Registrar, not because the state sanctioned RC ministers and rites.

In fact, all of us who were married outwith of an Anglican church in England had our marriage sanctioned by a state official, called the Registrar. Who sometimes happened to the same person as the minister.

quote:
What are you saying "nope" to in my statement? The idea that the state could empower non-conformists to become registrars or notifying officials so that people could be married in Catholic churches with Catholic rites without subsequently having to repeat their vows before a CofE cleric?
As discussed above, the state did not sanction ministers and rites. In fact, the reverse is true - religious bodies who wanted to be able to conduct legal marriages needed to follow the state's rules: have a registered building, in the presence of a Registrar and two witnesses. The people getting married had to be legally free to get married and had to say the phrases mentioned in the law.

There is nothing at all anywhere in the law which sanctions or condones Roman Catholic dogma as expressed by you and IngoB - for example it says nothing at all about having children. This is not a legal part of civil marriage in England.

Therefore the idea of IngoB that the civil law has somehow been changed away from the RCC dogma is not true, at least as far back as 1836 when it again became legal for Roman Catholics to be married by Roman Catholic priests.

Therefore the RCC accepted a civil system in England which was less than your dogma, and indeed married people you find unacceptable and would not marry.

You are already using a civil law system which has aspects of you find morally unacceptable for the benefits it gives to your people. Perfectly understandably, of course, but you can't then say - as IngoB has - that a change in the civil marriage law adversely affects Roman Catholic marriages, when there is a clear difference already that the RCC has accepted for centuries.

quote:
What is the difference between what? What is it you think the Catholic Church is doing that makes it so inconsistent or hypocritical?
The law was changed to give rights to Roman Catholics. The law has changed several times since to give rights to others you morally would not accept in your church.

Given that, it is hypocritical to claim that you have any moral say over the civil marriage law, when you have clearly been co-operating with a civil law which marries people you think are morally unacceptable, and which was changed for your benefit in the first place.

quote:
Continuing to let our marriages be recognised legally because same-sex couples can now do the same?
I really don't give a shit what you do. Nor should anyone else. Either get with the programme, even though it marries people you wouldn't, because it brings benefits to your people, or don't.

[ 17. July 2015, 16:55: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Also, before I go back to ignoring most of your writing again, can I just highlight the profound logical fallacy lying at the heart of your argument (and indeed at the heart of Catholic theology here) because it's just risen to the surface again.

The need of the human race to procreate is not the need of any individual human being to procreate. The need of the human race to procreate is not the duty of every human being to procreate.

And of course many states have recognised this for centuries - given that they've married people who are a) too old to have children or b) known to be infertile. Clearly, according to most legal systems, childbearing is not a consideration as to whether someone can legally be married.

--------------------
arse

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But orfeo, you cannot have homosexuality and heterosexuality together. It does not work, the one cancels the other and no one procreates. This is why the Greeks died out. And why there were no people in the Roman Empire before the people of the Roman Empire became Christian.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think you misunderstand me.
I mean that there would be marriage. And there would be some other-named, not legally binding, not recognised outside of the RCC ceremony.

Right. Just like in France. The state doesn't have to recognise Catholic marriage as having any legal status as such. The Church doesn't have to recognise what the state calls marriage as necessarily being so. If Catholics want to, they can get their marriage legalised at the mairie.

Only you want to rub it in a bit, to make that solution unpleasant for the Church: to make it sound like the state's marriage would be the real marriage to the extent that Catholics would have to call "their" institution something else. Well, you just go right ahead and try and make that happen.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The need of the human race to procreate is not the need of any individual human being to procreate. The need of the human race to procreate is not the duty of every human being to procreate. Really, the argument you're making founders on that confusion. No one suggests that every human being must create food despite the fact that all human beings must eat.

Sure. But the social institutions we create to frame absolutely essential "biological" activities like procreation and nutrition must ensure that they happen in a regular and sufficient fashion. Failure concerning this damages societies, potentially to the point of killing them off.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously, you're so far below the bottom of the barrel, you're half way to where Orfeo lives.

Letting the gays formalise their relationships in a marriage isn't going to impinge on the hets bumping uglies anytime soon. Have no fear, there'll be a new generation for you to outrage with your pseudo-scientific dribblings.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But orfeo, you cannot have homosexuality and heterosexuality together. It does not work, the one cancels the other and no one procreates. This is why the Greeks died out. And why there were no people in the Roman Empire before the people of the Roman Empire became Christian.

We are in dreadful need of an anti-capitalist schizophrenia aren't we?

Having shaken off the shackles of repressed instincts, can we not cheerfully accept that polymorphous perversity characterises everything about human sexuality as a society?

[ 17. July 2015, 18:57: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
quote:
My point was that the difference between that situation and the current one with same-sex marriage is that first was a purely administrative change (although partly occasioned by a sense of equity) to an existingly recognised institution which continued to be understood just as it had been; whereas same-sex marriage required no administrative changes but did change something far more basic: the whole concept of who could even possibly be married to whom. Apples and oranges, mate.

Bullshit. It changed the whole nature of the understanding of marriage under English law and took the state function of registering away from the religious and into the secular.
Let me just repeat your claim back to you. By altering the rules about how the official registration of marriage should take place the "whole nature of the understanding of marriage" was changed? Really - you really think that?
quote:
Registration of marriage became a secular state function. Or at least it did outside of the Anglican church - in the process allowing the registration of other religions. This therefore changed the definition of marriage, which beforehand was (essentially) something determined by the state church.

If this is your answer to my question, I can't imagine even you'd expect me to buy it. The state had previously (well, since 1753 anyway) dealt with registration through one branch of the state: the state church; from 1836, it dealt with registration through the state church as before but with the additional provision of registering it through the state's appointed registrars (not all of whom were state clerics). The same people could and could not avail themselves of it: only the rules about how it need be registered changed. And this, according to you, constitutes a complete redefinition of the whole concept of marriage?
quote:
And given the centuries of persecution of the Roman Catholics following Cromwell, it is a major change in the English concept of legal marriage to even allow them that. Ditto the non-conformists, who were for centuries essentially illegal religious bodies, now had suddenly become acceptable enough to allow them to conduct marriages.

But only, as before, under the state's rules! They could already be married under the state's rules. All that changed was that their own religious ceremonies were now considered "registerable" - with the required formulary, in the presence of a state registrar and witnesses.
quote:

Roman Catholic ministers and rites were not sanctioned by law. In 1836, Roman Catholic marriages were only legalised in the presence of a Registrar. And there at no point did the law sanction ministers or rites - and in fact that has never happened.

Nor did I say that it had. When I was talking about their being "sanctioned" it was explicitly in the narrow sense of their being fit for the purpose of being witnessable and registerable. Here's what I actually said, verbatim, with emphasis:
quote:
And now I'm going make dinner for my poor, long-suffering wife.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that the RCC has for a very long time espoused the idea that numbers of people in its service should be removed from the duty of procreation, it seems very peculiar for that church to base an argument on that duty.

And haven't they presented the removal of women from that duty as a marriage?

[ 17. July 2015, 19:22: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:

Only you want to rub it in a bit, to make that solution unpleasant for the Church: to make it sound like the state's marriage would be the real marriage to the extent that Catholics would have to call "their" institution something else. Well, you just go right ahead and try and make that happen.

It isn't rubbing it in, it is the Whole. Fucking. Point.
The state has always determined what marriage is. If the RCC, or any other organisation, wishes to modify the requirements and discriminate, then of course they must change their term.
The way it is now is right. That you may get married in whatever institution, with whatever qualifications you wish, but your institution is acting as registrar for the state. In total honesty and fairness, I think the CofE should be a CinE.
Church and state should be definitely separate. However fucked up they have it in practice, the concept in America is correct.

[ 17. July 2015, 19:22: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would also like to add that the desirability of the human race to maintain its existence through procreation is not the same as "everyone needs to breed like fucking rabbits". There will reach a point where the population growth is simply not sustainable even with the best organization of the resources of the planet. I'm not one who thinks a Malthusian Apocalypse is just around the corner, but the problems of overpopulation don't seem to be a favorite subject of the RCC.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The state has always determined what marriage is. If the RCC, or any other organisation, wishes to modify the requirements and discriminate, then of course they must change their term.

Words mean different things in different contexts. Perfectly ordinary English words often have some more specific meaning as a term of art in some field of specialized study.

There is no particular difficulty with the word "marriage" meaning the thing which is commonly referred to as "marriage" in society, and is referred to as "marriage" by the state in the general context (which is open to any two unmarried individuals), whilst also meaning the thing which is referred to as "marriage" by the RCC (which is open to an unmarried man and an unmarried woman) in a Catholic context.

If the meaning isn't clear from context, you just add a qualifier. It's not uncommon to hear of Muslim men having had an "Islamic marriage" with more than one woman, in western countries where plural marriage isn't permitted. In this context it is clear that the man has gone through an Islamic ceremony with his additional wife, but there is no state sanction.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[T]he social institutions we create to frame absolutely essential "biological" activities like procreation and nutrition must ensure that they happen in a regular and sufficient fashion. Failure concerning this damages societies, potentially to the point of killing them off.

Is it the duty of every society to keep itself alive forever? Is that possible? Is that a desirable end in itself?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The need of the human race to procreate is not the need of any individual human being to procreate. The need of the human race to procreate is not the duty of every human being to procreate. Really, the argument you're making founders on that confusion. No one suggests that every human being must create food despite the fact that all human beings must eat.

Sure. But the social institutions we create to frame absolutely essential "biological" activities like procreation and nutrition must ensure that they happen in a regular and sufficient fashion. Failure concerning this damages societies, potentially to the point of killing them off.
Allowing equal marriage will will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice cream melts and milk curdles . It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards, reprogram your ATM access code, screw up the tracking on your VCR and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CDs you try to play.

It will give your ex-boy/girlfriend your new phone number. It will mix antifreeze into your fish tank. It will drink all your beer and leave its dirty socks on the coffee table when there's company coming over.

It will hide your car keys when you are late for work and interfere with your car radio so that you hear only static while stuck in traffic.

Equal Marriage will make you fall in love with a hardened pedophile. It will give you nightmares about circus midgets. It will date your current boy/girlfriend behind your back and bill their hotel rendezvous to your Visa card.

It will seduce your grandmother. It does not matter if she is dead, such is the power of Equal Marriage, it reaches out beyond the grave to sully those things we hold most dear.

Equal Marraige will give you Dutch Elm disease. It will leave the toilet seat up and leave the hairdryer plugged in dangerously close to a full bathtub. It will refill your skim milk with whole. It is insidious and subtle. It is dangerous and terrifying to behold. It is also a rather interesting shade of mauve.

Be very, very afraid. PLEASE FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!

(nicked, sorry, too late to be particularly inventive)

[ 17. July 2015, 21:57: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
[T]he social institutions we create to frame absolutely essential "biological" activities like procreation and nutrition must ensure that they happen in a regular and sufficient fashion. Failure concerning this damages societies, potentially to the point of killing them off.

Is it the duty of every society to keep itself alive forever? Is that possible? Is that a desirable end in itself?
The idea of human progress, which seems to be an acceptable secular goal, takes it as read that society must continue to exist. But it appears that much of western Europe is edging towards the end of its current phase of civilisation, in which case exhaustion, decline and collapse of some sort are probably inevitable by the end of the century.

It's hard to see how the RCC will find population decline to be in its interests, except that some of the replacement immigrant workers will make better Catholics than the indigenous ones. In this sense the RCC is more 'modern' and welcoming than the European liberal secularists who are beginning to express concern about high rates of immigration from countries with very different values.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know from reading this thread that I hate some people's mothers.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016