homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » At the movies - what are you watching? (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: At the movies - what are you watching?
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went to see Foxcatcher, pretty much minutes after finding out about the film's existence. Which was kinda cool, because it's nice to occassionally go into a film having no idea what to expect.

Interesting to see Steve Carrell doing a darker rendition on his "socially-maladjusted middle-aged guy" film persona. There is virtually nothing funny or light-hearted about the film, though to its credit, it does manage to resist the temptation to wallow in its own bleakness, or congratulate itself too heartily for "daring to expose the American Dream". Given the persona; ideology of the Carrell character, that last bit inevitably comes into play at times.

For the most part, I think it benefited from just giving a likely accurate account of a real series of events.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to some Google generosity[*], I watch 3 movies in the last couple of days.

The Obvious Child - this came highly recommended but I was a bit underwhelmed. It has its charm I suppose. Maybe I'm getting too old. Also, I think the male lead is a bit too perfect. If this were gender-swapped and back in the 90s then I still think it'd be criticised for having a romantic lead who's essentially a trophy for the MC to win. That's OK I guess, fair's fair, but it's not very imaginative.

The Rewrite - Hugh Grant romcom. Not his best but not his worst either. Given what I've just said I ought to be harder on this movie but... I pretty much knew going in what level it would be pitched at. And it delivered. Given that I was watching it, wrapped up on the couch, sniffling and sipping lemsip, it fulfilled its purpose.

Gone Girl - Read the book last year with the intent of seeing it at the cinema. The movie is stylish, well-acted, beautifully scored and long. It's actually a very faithful adaptation - hardly surprising given the screenwriter - but that means if you've read the book it feels like takes its sweet time to get to where you know it's going. Definitely worth the watch. Had to look away during one scene though.

[*]If you have a Chromecast, check out the "specials offers" for it.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night I finished watching "Once Upon a Time in America" (over several sittings!). What an amazing piece of cinema. It's brutal, shocking, very difficult to watch at times, but I feel myself wanting to watch it again almost straight away! I've rarely felt that about anything.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
Last night I finished watching "Once Upon a Time in America" (over several sittings!). What an amazing piece of cinema. It's brutal, shocking, very difficult to watch at times, but I feel myself wanting to watch it again almost straight away! I've rarely felt that about anything.

Amusing anecdote about that film. Being a person of fairly short attention span, I was always put off from watching it by its length. But I knew that it was available at my local dvd room(places where you can pay to rent and watch movies in little rooms; basically make-out parlours), so figured I'd get up the nerve one day.

Anyway, one night I idiotically left my apartment-keys at work, and with no landlord in sight, I figured "Well, guess this is the night for the four-hour gangster flick". So I trudged over to the dvd room to spend the hours between 11 and 3 in watching OUATIA.

And I was glad I did. The Clockwork Orange tribute alone was worth the sleepless night.

[ 10. February 2015, 13:07: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jupiter Ascending: like running at 400 mph into a wall of sci-fi meringue.

It will change your life.

The Bees know all.

[ 10. February 2015, 18:09: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Jupiter Ascending: like running at 400 mph into a wall of sci-fi meringue.

It will change your life.

The Bees know all.

I thought it was a complete heap of steaming rubbish. There's two hours of my life wasted!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I watched Kingsman, with Colin Firth. Adeuqately entertaining if you're short on options. It's more Harry Potter Meets XXX(as in, the Vin Diesel franchise) than it is James Bond 2.0.

MINOR SPOILERS

It does end on a Bondesque note, with the hero being rewarded with a roll in the hay, albeit one introduced by a rather vulgar proposition. I'm no prude, but there is a time and a place for everything, and the dialgue in question just sorta came out of nowhere.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw "Inside the mind of Leonardo Da Vinci". It's a documentary with Peter Capaldi narrating the words from his notebooks (translated into English).

Capaldi was decent and gave a sense of the writer, but the film was a disappointment. It's in 3D but with the exception of 3 brief scenes it doesn't really show very much at all of the drawings in the notebooks. Instead there are endless shots of river flumes, fields in the mountains of rural Tuscany and shots of Italian cities. Since the notebooks contain spectacular visualizations and examples of how his mind worked, it was extremely frustrating.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I saw "Inside the mind of Leonardo Da Vinci". It's a documentary with Peter Capaldi narrating the words from his notebooks (translated into English).

Capaldi was decent and gave a sense of the writer, but the film was a disappointment. It's in 3D but with the exception of 3 brief scenes it doesn't really show very much at all of the drawings in the notebooks. Instead there are endless shots of river flumes, fields in the mountains of rural Tuscany and shots of Italian cities. Since the notebooks contain spectacular visualizations and examples of how his mind worked, it was extremely frustrating.

I saw this when it was on some time ago, and like Palimpsest, was rather frustrated and underwhelmed.

However, this afternoon we are planning to see the new Shaun the Sheep movie, which should be fun [Smile]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
went to see Shaun the Sheep yesterday - fun for all ages !

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Telstar: The Joe Meek Story - a record produced who is also bipolar makes a lot of money but kills himself. Based on a true story.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
went to see Shaun the Sheep yesterday - fun for all ages !

Oh yes, it was - and I particularly liked the resemblance between the waiter in the restaurant and a certain Mr Miliband... [Biased]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Who's That Knocking At My Door. Martin Scorsese's first picture.

I went into it thinking it would be mostly of historical interest, for the obvious reasons, but it was actually pretty good, in and of itself. Just when you think you've settled into the technical gist of the film, it throws a few curve balls at you to keep you on your toes.

Overall, it seeems to have one foot in French New Wave, and another in Scorsese's own emerging signature style.

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The BFI is having a Katherine Hepburn season and last night we saw Bringing Up Baby. It is surprising how much difference seeing it on a big screen makes. One of those rare occasions when a cinema audience burst into spontaneous applause [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched the documentary The Overnighters on Netflix and immediately considered showing it to the prison chaplains I oversee.

This documentary should be required viewing for anyone engaged in social action, with plenty of discussion time afterwards.

Trailer here. Try not to read spoilers to get the film's full impact.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saw Birdman yesterday. Fascinating movie, a little odd in some ways but the oddity is properly integrated into the film as a whole, and it held my interest pretty well the whole way through. Performances are fabulous. Everyone's been talking about Michael Keaton, but both Emma Stone and Edward Norton are just as good.

[ 22. February 2015, 09:32: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I picked up a video of Daredevil (the Marvel character) yesterday for 25p. I'd heard it wasn't very good, but for that money it didn't matter.
And it was okay. The chap playing Daredevil/Matt Murdock's legal partner was spot on, the 'fight' between Matt and Elektra in the playground was very well done, and the kid playing Young Matt was brilliant - and Ben Affleck as Daredevil was fine, too.
The film didn't pass the Bechdel Test, though - the only woman in it was Elektra, apart from a previous girlfriend of Matt's who was only heard on the answer phone. And somehow, it didn't quite hit that sweet spot that the more recent Marvel movies have done.
I understand there's going to be a Daredevil TV series soon, which should be interesting.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just went and saw the Oscar nominated animated shorts. Me and Moulton and Bus Story were fun. The Disney entry about a puppy with an enormous appetite was ok.
Several were darker. A British one about two brothers taking care of their invalid mother was interesting but kept getting into destroying the frame. I didn't really like the Plimpton entry like I usually do.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I watched Kingsman, with Colin Firth.

I'm tempted to say that the concerns with (stuff in spoilers) are likely because it's based on work by Mark Millar, who did Kick-Ass and the like. He's one of my least favorite comics writers of all time, I'm sorry to say.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just seen a trailer for a new SF movie about a robot, called CHAPPIE.

No way will I be able to take that seriously. When I was growing up Chappie was the name of a brand of dog food, specially formulated for little doggies!

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We saw Project Almanac this week, which had a lot of interesting ideas. Not sure the science was thought through enough and I found the hand held camera schtick boring by half an hour in, but there were some nice bits and a number of themes - time travel, unforeseen effects, teenage coming of age in a sweet way, friendship ...

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We watched Best Exotic Marigold Hotel yesterday - I absolutely loved it!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Not sure if this counts as a movie, but thought I should put it somewhere on the Ship, since who knows how long it will be available...

India's Daughter

It probably does not need to be said that parts of it are fairly unpleasant to watch.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:

Looking forward to the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which opens today, but I won't be able to see it until next week! (I plan to re-watch the first one on DVD before going to see the second.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We watched Sharknado 2 last night! It was amusing. [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:

Looking forward to the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which opens today, but I won't be able to see it until next week! (I plan to re-watch the first one on DVD before going to see the second.)
We're going to wait and see Marigold II on DVD - neither of us is ever sure how good the sequel to a given film is going to be!

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Marigold 2 was worth seeing in the theatre to me because no matter how flimsy the plot (and it was a bit), I still love all the actors AND the setting so much, it's worth just gazing at them all on the big screen!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

Yesterday's treat (courtesy of my Other Half's LoveFilm subscription) was The Boxtrolls - wonderfully done stop-motion animation.

The Boxtroll song has been my earworm all day!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saw Interstellar. I'll leave no spoilers and my only comment is that I now wish to kick Hans Zimmer in his organ.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Saw Birdman yesterday. Fascinating movie, a little odd in some ways but the oddity is properly integrated into the film as a whole, and it held my interest pretty well the whole way through. Performances are fabulous. Everyone's been talking about Michael Keaton, but both Emma Stone and Edward Norton are just as good.

I had really looked forward to this, because I've always liked Michael Keaton and thought he was under rated. I'm also a huge fan of Edward Norton and his other movie with Naomi Watts, The Painted Veil, is a favorite of mine.

I was disappointed. I've never been crazy about Hollywood/Broadway's tendency to navel gaze. Movies and plays about the noble art of acting get on my nerves a little bit. Even, to me, the greatest one, All About Eve has the scene where they're all sitting on the stairs talking about acting as though it was more self-sacrificing and beneficial to society than anything Jonas Salk ever did.

The film's hatred for critics was laughable. So was the critic's conclusion that what the theatre needs is more real blood on the stage.

The film was shot through with "magical realism." For the most part, it was hard to say if the supernatural moments were supposed to be actually happening or delusions of the character.

What I found almost unbearable was the sound track, made up entirely of drums and cymbals. It was like trying to hear dialogue while someone banged pots and pans together.

Still, as Orfeo has said, the acting was great and the style of the film put one very much inside the story. Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic give this the highest rating I think I've ever seen. User reviews on IMBD range from ten stars to one star. It's a puzzler.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

I was disappointed. I've never been crazy about Hollywood/Broadway's tendency to navel gaze. Movies and plays about the noble art of acting get on my nerves a little bit. Even, to me, the greatest one, All About Eve has the scene where they're all sitting on the stairs talking about acting as though it was more self-sacrificing and beneficial to society than anything Jonas Salk ever did.

Yebbut, wasn't the self-absorption part of what we were supposed to be laughing at? Not that they were navel-gazing, but the silly things they came up with when they tried to navel-gaze. Even their attempts to be deep were shallow!
In other words, I get the feeling I really need to see Birdman.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You really do Kelly, you're our resident Roger Ebert.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Hot and Hormonal] ( so not worthy) [Smile]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What do you feel happened at the end? Was it factual? I have argued that Birdman is simply the origin story of the latest super hero.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bessy mate from UK brought me a few movies when he came over and now he has gone I have more time to watch them. Yesterday it was Michael Palin and Maggie Smith [and Trevor Howard, Michael Hordern, Phoebe Daniels, Denholm Elliot, etc. in The Missionary - surely one of the funniest British films in years though it's a bit long in the tooth these days.

Brilliant!

Later in the week it will be Rita Moreno in The Ritz - her tribute from Terence McNally. Googie Gomez gets me every time!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last week we watched Delicatessan (my all time favourite film) and City of Lost Children with our kids as my eldest is really into dystopias at the moment.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
What do you feel happened at the end? Was it factual? I have argued that Birdman is simply the origin story of the latest super hero.

I thought maybe his daughter was sharing his delusion that he could fly for a moment. I like your version.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

I watched the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes the other night. Not generally a fan of Ritchie, who often seems like he's scraping the rim of Tarantino's toilet bowl. And I did not come away from Sherlock Holmes pleasantaly surprised.

Did people actually think this was good? It's like a knock-em-down action movie, propped up by Hollywood Victorianism and quasi-masonic conspiracy theories.

And the screenwriters at one point have the American ambassador to the UK referred to as "the Ambassador to America".

At least Murder By Decree had some camp value.

[ 12. April 2015, 13:38: Message edited by: Stetson ]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Woman in Gold with Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds.

True-life story of how Maria Altmann got back some of her family's paintings that had been looted after the Anschluss; the family were wealthy patrons of the arts and friends with many painters and composers. The Woman in Gold of the title is Maria Altmann's aunt, Adele Bloch-Bauer, in a Klimt portrait sometimes described as the Austrian Mona Lisa.

Although she eventually got back five paintings, there were many more things that just vanished, including the Stradivarius 'cello her father used to play and the diamond necklace that Adele B-B is wearing in the most famous portrait (it ended up around the neck of Goering's wife).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Earlier this week I happened to look and found that the DVD of the last instalment of The Hobbit was available for a very reasonable price. I ordered it and it arrived in very good time, getting here just this morning. I spent the afternoon watching it and have to say that I have wasted 2 hours 18 minutes of my life watching the most utter drivel! Tolkien must be spinning in his grave!

What a waste of just over 500 Rupees!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The case has been made that, by cutting and pasting all three Hobbit movies and keeping =only= what was in the original Tolkien work, that one could achieve quite a decent movie of an endurable length. Doing this is of course a violation of copyright, but versions can be found on the internet.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've just spent the afternoon in front of the TV watching my DVD of Aamir Khan's PK - what an excellent movie! It's a sort of latter day and more grown up ET - and is both funny and moving.

Okay, it's very much a Bollywood production - and a very high quality one. Appropriately for The Ship one of the major themes is religion and religious tolerance.

If you get the chance, watch it and let me know what you think.

--------------------

Polly

Shipmate
# 1107

- Posted      Profile for Polly   Email Polly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Family visit to see The Avengers at the cinema.

If you liked the last one then this will be of interest.

Posts: 560 | From: St Albans | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone planning to see 'Far from the Madding Crowd'? It opens in the UK today.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am going to go and see it, either this weekend or next.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't remember if I've read the book yet, so I'll do that first then see the film later.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Polly:
Family visit to see The Avengers at the cinema.

If you liked the last one then this will be of interest.

Mr Marten and I saw this the other day. I love the Avengers films, and this didn't disappoint, although I lost the plot at times... I did miss Loki not being in it however [Frown]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoyed The Avengers too. Lots of action and convoluted plot.

Which made a pleasant change from the previous few films selected by the teenage boy: Fast and Furious 7, Focus and Get Hard all of which were high on action, low on plot, and in the case of Get Hard stuffed with crude and unsubtle penis jokes and far too much sight of the organ in question. It was a 15, so I really wasn't expecting to be faced with flaccid flesh.

Focus was a heist movie and didn't bring anything new to the party, other than demonstrating various pick-pocketing techniques to entirely the wrong audience and Fast and Furious 7 was as to be expected, lots of action, including a pretty cool, if improbable, sequence stealing a car from a Saudi penthouse. It came complete with dedication to Paul Walker and continues to show street racing as a good and exciting sport even though it killed the original star. Mind you, they did show damage to quite a few of the cast.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

We went to see Far From the Madding Crowd which just opened this weekend in the US. The theater was surprisingly full. It immediately struck me how very many things this film does not have in common with Avengers. No explosions (although there was a prospect of an exploding sheep it did not actually go off), no tights, no robotic armor, no flying vehicles. However there was property damage, and world-shaking decisions.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Watched It Follows. Enjoyable, low-key but still pretty spooky horror/ghost movie. Mercifully avoided the loud blasts of ominous music and gaudy CGI that so blight other current manifestations of the genre.

I'm trying to think of an "If you liked X, you'd like this" formulation, but it's hard, because the film is pretty different from other contemporary horror flicks. It's a BIT like the Ring-esque Asian stuff, but even that's misleading, since it doesn't go for quite the same shocking visuals and convoluted plotlines. I think "Let's Scare Jessica To Death", which some of you old-timers may remember from the 70s, is the closest comparison.

And hours of debate to be had about socioeconomic stratification in 21st Century Detroit.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016