homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Steam Locomotive Restoration (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Steam Locomotive Restoration
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Although wheel size is an important factor - think of it as a built in gear ratio - balance and steam passages seem to have been quite important. Whether it was simply their size or what, 9Fs seem to have been very steady on their feet, or should that be wheels.

For speed, though, not only has the steam got to be able to get into the cylinders quickly. The used steam needs to get out of them again and quickly up the chimney. Otherwise, its presence will strangulate what the fresh steam for the next stroke can actually achieve.

I agree with all that ... but, with small wheels, piston speeds are going to be high which means lots of bits of heavy metal whipping back and forth and whirling round and round! I think it was that reason that speed limit were placed on the 9Fs.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's about time this thread got a bit more serious, I mean, will there be steam locomotives in Heaven? Who will get to drive them, and who will do the dirty work of raking out fireboxes, washing out boilers, and greasing valve motion and brake gear between the frames, eh? Will it be a co-operative venture with Hell? This is stuff that will some day affect all of us and we should be looking to how we're going to spend eternity. Personally, I hope the Highland Railway will have some of its finest locomotives restored to life there and that I will get to drive them.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
I think it's about time this thread got a bit more serious, I mean, will there be steam locomotives in Heaven? Who will get to drive them, and who will do the dirty work of raking out fireboxes, washing out boilers, and greasing valve motion and brake gear between the frames, eh? Will it be a co-operative venture with Hell? This is stuff that will some day affect all of us and we should be looking to how we're going to spend eternity. Personally, I hope the Highland Railway will have some of its finest locomotives restored to life there and that I will get to drive them.

Judging by The Titfield Thunderbolt, and the Cadeby Light Railway, it's necessary to be in Holy Orders to drive. Bishops also get first go at relief firemen if a professional is unavailable.

Those who have seen the excellent little 1950s film Railway with a Heart of Gold (made on the Talyllyn) will however appreciate the necessity of keeping the clergy away from pointwork.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Will there be steam locomotives in Heaven? Who will get to drive them, and who will do the dirty work of raking out fireboxes, washing out boilers, and greasing valve motion and brake gear between the frames, eh?

All heavenly locos will be fitted with L D Porta's Producer Gas Combustion system and utilise perfect coal, thus rendering smokebox and ashpan cleaning unnecessary. Heavenly water (from the river in the final chapter in Revelation) will cause neither scale nor rusting. All bearings will be sealed and non-wearing, fitted with balls or rollers and be furnished with a perfected version of the Norfolk & Western J-class lubritorium system.

[ 26. January 2016, 15:48: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Will there be steam locomotives in Heaven? Who will get to drive them, and who will do the dirty work of raking out fireboxes, washing out boilers, and greasing valve motion and brake gear between the frames, eh?

All heavenly locos will be fitted with L D Porta's Producer Gas Combustion system and utilise perfect coal, thus rendering smokebox and ashpan cleaning unnecessary. Heavenly water (from the river in the final chapter in Revelation) will cause neither scale nor rusting. All bearings will be sealed and non-wearing, fitted with balls or rollers and be furnished with a perfected version of the Norfolk & Western J-class lubritorium system.
I'd always assumed that given God has a Wonderful Railway, the attempts of other companies wouldn't be going through the gates
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Hmm ... the GW had a more generous loading gauge than other British companies, so you might find them hard to keep out ...

However, things would be different if you insisted on the Broad Gauge, although that would make Heaven a very Protestant place as the "Saints" (not to mention the "Abbeys") would be kept out too.

LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heaven will be full of massive, red-blooded, North American steam I am sure. With soft bituminous coal-filled tenders that, with the right fireman, will when burned produce lovely clouds of black, sooty smoke. Certainly J-class NYCRR Hudsons (none were preserved on earth), Niagaras (same) PRR T-1s (in heaven, no problem with wheel slip), SP cab-forwards galore, one or more of those big Baldwin turbines built for the C&) (in heaven, all will work), etc. etc.
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

What about "Jawn Henry"? Or did that go to the other place?
Crotalus
Shipmate
# 4959

- Posted      Profile for Crotalus   Author's homepage   Email Crotalus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Those who have seen the excellent little 1950s film Railway with a Heart of Gold (made on the Talyllyn) will however appreciate the necessity of keeping the clergy away from pointwork.

Link here:
Railway with a Heart of Gold

There's a connection between this film and that of Bittern posted above by Baptist Trainfan in that the same person is in charge of the locomotive in each case. (In the Talyllyn film the 'BBC actor' is just doing what actors do.)

Posts: 713 | From: near the knacker's yard | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

Link here:
Railway with a Heart of Gold

There's a connection between this film and that of Bittern posted above by Baptist Trainfan in that the same person is in charge of the locomotive in each case. (In the Talyllyn film the 'BBC actor' is just doing what actors do.)

In some ways (and I say this as a TRPS member) I'm often a little sorry that the Talyllyn isn't *exactly* like it is here, and in Railway Adventure.

Of course, it would probably have killed someone by now if it were.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016