homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Only Connect (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Only Connect
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British shipmates should be familiar with the concept, but for those of you further afield, let's explain the concepts.

Game 1: What is the connection between 4 apparently random clues?

Example:
a) Weight Watchers
b) Al Capone
c) Fourier transform
d) Pennine Way

Answer: they all contain numbers hidden within the words (8, 1, 4, 9)

Game 2: What comes next in the sequence?

Example:
a) George
b) Arthur
c) Philip

Answer: Charles - because they are the given names of Prince Charles, in reverse order.

*We'll skip the wall, I'm not sure I could do that on a forum, but you can play on the Only Connect website.*

Game 3: Missing vowels. Here, the vowels are taken out of a well phrase or saying (the category is given) and the consonants are squished up.

Example: What is this famous website?

SH PFF LS

These are all much better explained on the Wikipedia page.

Ship-specific rules: You can post up to one of each type of puzzle. Let people have a chance to answer, so don't give the answer away straight away, unless someone gets it right quickly.

No posting a new puzzle until the person who set the last one has given the answer (either because someone got it right, or everyone is hopelessly lost).

Got it?

I haven't given the answer to the last one, so I'll leave that for you as an easy starter.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yippee! We love "Only Connect".

Answer = "Ship of Fools".

So what connects these?

Paris
Haffner
Linz
Jupiter.

And: what comes next in this list?

OKR = £60
TAI = £100
PM = £140
????

[ 04. August 2015, 13:37: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tut tut Baptist Trainfan. You clearly skipped over the bit that said 'No posting a new puzzle until the person who set the last one has given the answer '.

As it happens, you were right, so we'll let it pass for now.

Your 'what comes next' is BS = £180 (first of a group on the Monopoly board).

Not a clue about the other one.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Correct! (Old Kent Road, The Angel Islington, Pall Mall, Bow Street).

Any ideas for the other ones (they're the sort of things which are obvious, if you know them - there's no trickery involved)?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mozart Symphonies?

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yes! Your go ...
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's go for some Missing Vowels

Which Dickens novel?

LDCR STYS P

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
Let's go for some Missing Vowels

Which Dickens novel?

LDCR STYS P

I really can't spell it should be

LDCR STYS HP

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(The) old curiosity shop

[ 04. August 2015, 15:03: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Shouldn't it be:

THLDCR STYS HP?

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

ooops - You're correct. I forgot the 'The'.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's stick with the missing vowels.
A novel of Wales.

HWG RNW SM YVL LY

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Let's stick with the missing vowels.
A novel of Wales.

HWG RNW SM YVL LY

How green was my valley
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Yes! Your call, LC.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

*prods thread back to life*

Probably ought to have added in the OP that if the thread is left dormant for, say, 24 hours, you can post a new puzzle.

Let's see if this gets your gears whirring. What comes next in the sequence:

1. Skull
2. Crusade
3. Doom

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ark?
(Indiana Jones films in reverse order?)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Correct. Thought it was good until I saw it written down.

Your turn.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

In the absence of any further contributions,what is the connection between the following;

Nails
Stords
Barleycorns
Racks
Horses

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

You're only supposed to have four ...
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Stords

is this a real thing ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sorry about the too many. Just count the first four.
Stords is/are real.

Would I cheat?

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're all units of length?

Barleycorns (plus an offset) is the unit shoe size is measured in. A nail is a small unit of cloth length. Don't know the others.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is a stord?
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Are they all things that have heads that you wouldn't like to find in your bed?

Nail -pointy
Barleycorn - scratchy
Horse - Italian Job

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this about music?

Nail violin
Barleycorn concertina
Racks for music
Horse head fiddle

... still no idea what a stord is though ...

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry about the too many. Just count the first four.
Stords is/are real.

Would I cheat?

I wasn't thinking you were cheating, i was just wondering if it was a typo

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stord sounds Scandinavian....

Islands?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stord is indeed an island, off the coast of Norway; I've been there. [Smile] Can't do a Wiki link, as the heading has brackets. Google Stord (island).

No idea about the connection though.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
They're all units of length?

Barleycorns (plus an offset) is the unit shoe size is measured in. A nail is a small unit of cloth length. Don't know the others.

You got it! they are all units of length. Stord is found in John Evelyn's 17thC guide to gardening

Directions for the gardiner* and other horticultural advice

* Evelyn's spelling, not mine.

A mile contains 88 stords

a nail is 2.5 inches.

But I do like Ariel's suggestion, which is plausible.

[ 14. August 2015, 17:09: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

*bump*

Here's some missing vowels. The following are all London underground stations.

S TNS QR
TR NPKL N
LG HTN
KWD
RD NGVL LY

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can do all but one of those immediately:

?
Turnpike Lane
Loughton
Oakwood
Roding Valley

I'm halfway there on the first one, but I need to go out.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Euston Square!

But, Curiosity...I think this is your win as you did all the rest.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What connects the following:

Feather
Herringbone
Fly
Chain?

I got the Square fast and then failed to work out the first bit. Very remiss of me as I like the Wellcome Trust Museum, which is nearby. I tend to walk around the middle of London rather than use the tube and none of my usual routes goes through Euston Square.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those all sound like embroidery stitches, I think
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Yep, your turn

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

What links:

1) Haluin
2) Rhun
3) Columbanus
4) Ruald

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Characters in "Brother Cadfael" novels?
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Indeed - over to you.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

It's more than 24 hours, so I will continue.

What is the connection between the following? Two facts.

Isabella
Lydia
Elizabeth
Mary

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I suspect a Jane Austen connection but I don't know what, exactly.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I wondered about queens - there's a Queen Lydia (anglicised) of Hawaii.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'd wondered about queens but Lydia didn't fit into the vaguely 15th century era I had in mind.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I'll give it to Ariel. These are all characters in JA's novels, but they are the sisters of the heroines.

Isabella is Emma Woodhouse's sister.(Emma)
Lydia is Lizzie and Jane Bennett's sister.(Pride and Prejudice)
Mary and Elizabeth are Anne Elliott's sisters.{Persuasion)

Over to you, Ariel

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks! OK, here goes...

What's the connection between these four?

Bizet
Oxford
Wensleydale
Texel

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheep breeds, I think?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes! [Big Grin] Well done - over to you.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Sorry to get that so quickly- lucky guess!

Let's have a picture round;
This and this and this and this.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see...black & white...no. They are all whistlers? Maybe.
But they could certainly all pull a crowd!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

I'm sure they could, but that wasn't what I was thinking of!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'd wondered if it was a "name" question as three out of the four are known by names other than their birth names, but I don't think the fourth does fit into that.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016