homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » cell phones (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: cell phones
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

So: that annoying person with the loud phone may be disrupting your church service, but at least they’re providing an entertaining story for their nearest and dearest [Big Grin] .

Like the woman at the theater last week. She was sitting in the second row, so she could be heard quite clearly by the actors on stage. The first time it went off (of course in the bottom of a huge purse -- most purses now have phone pockets, so why are the ones that go off at the wrong time always at the bottom?) she fussed very loudly about how she was sure she'd turned it off. When it rang again a few minutes later, she yelled out even louder than her phone "Oh S***!"

Even though I carry a basic phone with me for emergencies, I never give the number to anyone (except to AAA in case they need to call me back). From what others have told me, if you're meeting someone somewhere, they're much more apt to be late if they know they can call you and give you some excuse. If they can't reach you, they're much more apt to be on time.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
The first time it went off (of course in the bottom of a huge purse -- most purses now have phone pockets, so why are the ones that go off at the wrong time always at the bottom?)

Perhaps it's not a new purse? Perhaps the purse-owner doesn't use the phone pocket for the phone because she doesn't use the phone much, and in stead uses that pocket for something more frequently accessed?

It's mostly not the frequent phone users who ring at inappropriate times - those people usually turn it off. It's the large number of infrequent and inexpert phone users that tend to have embarrassing phone fumbles.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are, of course, other ways of finding out what time it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk&nohtml5=False

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Utrecht Catholic:
One good advice, leave your Phone at home or in your car.

Oh how blessed are ye of perfect memory! How beloved of God! What ye put down, ye remember to pick up again. What ye take off, ye remember to put on again. What ye turn off, ye remember to turn on again.

Therefore we entreat: Pray for us of bad memory. Remember us in our misery, we beg of you. For we fear to put things down, lest we forget to pick them up again. We fear to take things off, lest we forget to put them on again. We fear to turn things off, lest we forget to turn them back on again.

Look not upon us with scorn, ye mighty ones. Consider with pity our plight. For we have not chosen to be forgetful, but accept our miserable condition as best we can, and strive to cope by whatever means we may find.

Therefore do we pray unto you, who are blessed by the Almighty with abilities we can only dream of, that ye might lay off, and give unto us a break that doth fuck.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even unto the ages of ages....

[Angel]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
How do you know that she must have the phone with her?

She wouldn't have the phone at all if she didn't feel she needed it, and wouldn't have the ringer on unless she felt she needed to answer calls. I'd say the burden of proof is on the person who wants to change someone else's behavior, not me.
Balls. Most people have a phone with them by default, not out of necessity. Similarly, the ringer is on by default, not design. If we can internalise certain modes of behaviour (please, thank you, holding a door open for someone, etc), surely we can internalise "Phone off? Check."

Story: When cell phones began their march toward ubiquity, and cell phone etiquette was still in its infancy (arguably, not much progressed), my sister was lecturing a large pre-med section at a university. In her first lecture, she warned them to turn the phones off. Every lecture, a phone would go off. One day a ring set her off, and she said loudly and icily (I know the tone, first hand), "That call better be about your kidney transplant. Answer it!" She never found the offender, but the rings stopped after that.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
If we can internalise certain modes of behaviour (please, thank you, holding a door open for someone, etc), surely we can internalise "Phone off? Check."

Maybe you can. Not everybody can do that and be sure of remembering to turn it back on again. What is gained by demonizing these people? Why not just let it rest?

--------------------

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, MT, I'm not "demonising" anyone, and as for letting it go, you've been posting here much more than I have done.

[ 11. November 2016, 01:01: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Lampooning " is the word I would have used--"demonizing" is a little strong-- but, however you feel about the matter, understand other congregants will be sharing in the experience of how you respond to it. It's a particularly good idea to keep visitors in mind:

Scroll down to the "other place" bit.

At my Alanon meetings, a gracefully worded reminder to check your cell's ring status is included in the opening. Would it be too clodhopping to insert a brief statement like this before the beginning of the liturgy?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, y'know, what he said.
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
The priest did the right thing.

At a midday service, when people might be on their lunch break from work, it would not be inappropriate for the priest, when greeting the congregation, to gently remind 'em to make sure their phones are off or on 'silent'

IJ

( My audio production teacher would makes us guess the decibel and hertz of a ring tone when one went off in her lecture. Is there a liturgical equivalent.? " Make a joyful noise, " maybe?)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
The priest did the right thing.

At a midday service, when people might be on their lunch break from work, it would not be inappropriate for the priest, when greeting the congregation, to gently remind 'em to make sure their phones are off or on 'silent'

IJ

Only if he WITHOUT FAIL reminds them to turn them back on again afterwards. Otherwise it stays on.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

"(If you need to turn on your ringer, kindly do it now) May the Lord bless you and keep you..."

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Go in peace and full cell phone volume to love and serve the Lord.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

…except in those places where you are urged not to leave valuables in your car.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine quacks. I leave it off.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone did once suggest they'd like to have a Rowan Williams ringtone- ++Rowan saying 'In many ways, (INSERT NAME], this might be an opportune moment to answer the telephone'.
I think I could live with that.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So. How many of you who look with scorn on people whose phones go off at the wrong time have never ever had it happen to them? Hands?

If you hardly ever carry a phone or leave a phone on, you might be one of those. If you carry a phone regularly and are so well organized that you never miss a time to turn off the phone, you are a paragon of tech virtue. Huzzah! [Overused]

I do pretty well, only screwing up a few times a year at church, meeting, or cinema. My biggest problem is actually remembering to switch the ringer back on after turning it off. Then people ask me the next day why I wasn't answering my phone. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 11. November 2016, 16:30: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's generally the mistake I make. "Why aren't you answering your phone? I had a flat tire/the school bus broke down/needed a ride to the doctor..." [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

But of course that's on me.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

My response when somebody's phone goes off in church, in addition to silently laughing if their ring tone is wildly inappropriate to the setting (e.g. "Highway to Hell"), is to feel sorry for them and think, "Oh how embarrassing!"

Certainly not to make it all about me.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've given me the idea for a thread...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to lighten things up a bit.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Oh how blessed are ye of perfect memory! How beloved of God! What ye put down, ye remember to pick up again. What ye take off, ye remember to put on again. What ye turn off, ye remember to turn on again.

Therefore we entreat: Pray for us of bad memory. Remember us in our misery, we beg of you. For we fear to put things down, lest we forget to pick them up again. We fear to take things off, lest we forget to put them on again. We fear to turn things off, lest we forget to turn them back on again.

Look not upon us with scorn, ye mighty ones. Consider with pity our plight. For we have not chosen to be forgetful, but accept our miserable condition as best we can, and strive to cope by whatever means we may find.

Therefore do we pray unto you, who are blessed by the Almighty with abilities we can only dream of, that ye might lay off, and give unto us a break that doth fuck.

And there was a great shout of Amen, and the people that dwelleth in the darkness of not knowing whence went things that they put down not five minutes ago, in sooth, they who forget that they even put them down and thus were in perplexity when they returned thither to their dwelling places and did wonder where the things they now recalled they had put down had gone, did look up and say "May the God of Israel be praised, for yea, I learn that in his bountiful creation I am not the only one who doth this time and time again, and faileth not in the doing."

[ 14. November 2016, 13:26: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Just to lighten things up a bit.
[Biased]

Actually I have a story something like this. I have one of those label machines that prints out the little tape labels. I don't use it very often, but when you need a label, it's a nice thing to have. I turned it on one day and it said, "EMPTY".

I opened the tape cartridge door, and there was a cartridge in there. I took it out and looked, and yes it had tape in it. I put it all back together and turned it off and turned it on, and it still said, "EMPTY".

I checked the battery compartment. Indeed I changed out all the batteries with known fresh ones (it takes 6 AA cells), and turned it back on again. It still said "EMPTY".

Then I remembered I had emptied and locked an out-of-the-way cabinet and put a label on it so I wouldn't keep checking it.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It all goes to show that we are fallible, frail human beings. All the more reason not to crucify those who forget.

I was in a packed memorial service where a mobile phone ring disturbed a 2 minute silence. The owner was in pieces afterwards and thoroughly ashamed. Whatever their problem was it was not deliberate fault or failure to care enough. People forget to do things, even when they agree they are important. We should forgive them.

Maybe the disturbance is an opportunity for a spiritual exercise with even greater importance than the quiet devotion.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought of this thread this morning in church. I had arrived late (read 'even later than usual' for those who know me IRL!!) as I'd had a domestic crisis to deal with just before I left for church, when the tenant of a property I rent out, stood on my doorstep to inform me that following a power cut yesterday his boiler wasn't coming on, so he had no heating or hot water. You don't need to know the details, but it involved me hurriedly calling my gas engineer and expecting a call back at some stage. Dashed off to church with my phone in my pocket on vibrate as usual.

It was my turn to read the lessons this morning. I stepped up to the lectern to start reading at exactly the same moment I felt my phone vibrating with a call (from the gas engineer of course). I ignored it of course, but worried the noise may have been picked up by the PA system. Somehow I managed to complete the readings. And was even told afterwards that I had read more clearly than usual - not sure how that happened as I certainly wasn't able to give it the level of concentration I normally would!!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha. Maybe that's the moral of the story: always engineer some major distraction to give you something to concentrate on avoiding! Not sure I'll be the one putting that to the test though...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016