homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » From the Mull of Galloway to Muckle Flugga - Scotland 2016 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: From the Mull of Galloway to Muckle Flugga - Scotland 2016
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose some aren't surprised but I am. 100% of Scottish Conservative MPs are openly Gay.. Good on him.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kudos to my local MP. Much as I dislike his politics, he is a decent man who works hard for his constituency. And he takes the time to reply personally and at length to my occasional emails of protest, which I appreciate. So good luck to him, and I wish him every personal happiness. (Political happiness is another matter ...)

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is currently snowing here.....I'm hoping when I wake up it will be gone.....

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Neighbours standing in the street talking at past midnight, it's like hogmonay. Except we weren't ankle deep in water on hogmonay.

The water started coming along the street at 11. Our driveway is flooded but we moved the car in time. House is fine, we have sandbags at the door, but the water hasn't reached the door.

Some houses in the village are under 4 feet of water so we,ve been very lucky.

Are you back down off the roof yet? The BBC seems to have forgotten about you already.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The water has subsided, but the ground is saturated and it wouldn't take much for it to start rising again. We (and some of our neighbours) still have the sandbags at the side of our houses.

I haven't peeled the duct tape off the meter cupboard yet, either. This is largely down to laziness.

The new fun is potholes which have appeared on the roads. On our way to work yesterday we drove past two cars with flat tyres, presumably the result of driving over potholes.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... we drove past two cars with flat tyres, presumably the result of driving over potholes.

Welcome to our world; on more than one occasion here we've had two flat tyres on the same day.

The council apparently don't use the right sort of tarmac, and the snow-ploughs come and churn it up. We're left with either gaping chasms or, worse, shallow but sharp-edged ridges which only become apparent after you've driven over them and they've buggered not only your tyres, but the rims and God knows what else besides.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
for anyone coming to Edinburgh,as indeed to anywhere else,they have to balance the price of houses/flats to rent or buy in Edinburgh with the price and the time to commute from the various towns nearby.

If you eventually buy in Edinburgh,the price will be higher than, say in Dalkeith or Dunfermline.
You will get tax relief on mortgage and it will probably represent less of your total income as the years go on. Prices for transport will almost always continue to go up and you will have to factor in a greater amount of your tim,e to be spent in travelling.

Of course,if you want to/prefer to live in Dalkeith,Dunfermline or Linlithgow,then it's fine.
If you are only buying or renting something there because you think it is cheaper,it is,in fact,false economy.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or, at least not as substantial an economy as you might have initially thought.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a good point; when we moved to Northern Ireland in 1988, we bought a house about 13 miles from Belfast because we felt we were getting more house for our money.

Seven years later, we decided we were fed up with the commute: because a good bit of it was on very busy single-carriageway roads it took about three-quarters of an hour. We moved into the city (where the commute was only 3 miles and took about 15-20 minutes), and found that although our mortgage was bigger, we were saving so much in petrol that we hardly noticed it.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's true re. the cost of the commute. But without going as far out as Dunfermline, it can still make a lot of sense to hop just over the city boundary. Buses take about 30-40 mins to travel from Musselburgh into Edinburgh, at exactly the same price for the busfare as within the city limits. You pay considerably less there than you would for a property in neighbouring Portobello or Duddingston, with no extra travel costs and just 10 minutes extra travel time each way. Like all these things, it depends on your priorities.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm thinking of moving to Scotland. Either Edinburgh or Glasgow look like contenders with the latter being more interesting at the moment.

Don't ask me why. Well you can but I can't really answer.

I need a city but I also need access to hills and SPACE. Any ideas gratefully received.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I loved my three years living in Glasgow, and would live there again very happily. (Various things conspire to keep me in the middle of England, though.)

I've never lived in Edinburgh, so can't comment.

I am greatly looking forwards to a fortnight just north of Glasgow in the summer!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
I'm thinking of moving to Scotland. Either Edinburgh or Glasgow look like contenders with the latter being more interesting at the moment.

Don't ask me why. Well you can but I can't really answer.

I need a city but I also need access to hills and SPACE. Any ideas gratefully received.

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow would be great for this. There are great public transport links within both cities, but IME the countryside (mainly to the North of Glasgow and South of Edinburgh) is best accessed by car. We had a lovely 13 years living in East Lothian and the Scottish Borders and commuting into Edinburgh. It was the weather that got us in the end though. Do you like being cold and damp?

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cold and damp is de rigeur in Cumbria. So it would be nothing new. Yes, was thinking N. side of Glasgow, I have a friend who lives part time in Glasgow so will do a recce with her. Properties are pretty darn cheap it seems but I could be looking at the parts my mother would not encourage!
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lived on the south side of Glasgow for 6 years after moving from sarf London, and loved it (it seems I am perennially a 'south of the river' girl). Glasgow's a great city, there's so much going on, but also so much great countryside so close to hand.

I can't say much about Edinburgh - I worked there for a couple of years more recently, but have never lived there. It's one of those places I don't quite 'get' as a place to live, but that's presumably just because I never have.

I now live in Stirling, so in many ways have the best of both worlds - near to both cities, near to countryside, more affordable housing than either. But I did find it harder (at least until I had my baby) to meet people here and make friends than I did in Glasgow.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:

Edinburgh has a respectable hill right in the middle of it. And there are other hills on the southern fringes.
Glasgow is a bit more built into a bowl, and therefore feels more like other cities when you're in the middle of it. In Edinburgh the feel of being in a city is less immersive; especially in south Edinburgh you're always catching glimpses of areas that aren't built up.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If I had to live anywhere apart from here, and money were no object, I'd live in Edinburgh in a heartbeat - to me it seems to be just the most civilised place on the planet.

The fact that my great-niece and great-nephew, who are indescribably cute, live there has absolutely nothing to do with it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A happy Burns Night, everyone. Any good celebrations to tell about? It's a quiet one around here.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We addressed the hagggis here. So the postman will get a nasty shock when he opens the pillar box in the morning.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The day dawned clear and bright, with a cloudless blue sky. For the first time this year (possibly the first time since Nov) I hung my washing out, rejoicing as I breathed in the crisp clear air.

Ninety minutes later I was unpegging my still wet washing under a grey sky as snow swirled around.

Sigh.

It was nice while it lasted.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As long as 90 minutes? That was a very long sunny spell.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was sunny (the puddles on the ground remained frozen) but the sky was blue and lovely for about 60 minutes. Then the creeping grey took over and then came the snow.
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Everyone battening down the hatches for a fun day tomorrow? I'm supposed to fly to the mainland in the afternoon; not sure that's going to be happening.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was speaking to my dad this afternoon (he's in Orkney) and he said they'd been having a fair bit of weather. There were some fairly spectacular pictures on Facebook of waves and high seas on Friday, and even the schools were closed.

When I was at school in Orkney in the 60s and 70s they never closed the schools for gales - there had to be about a foot of snow.

Modern children are so soft ... [Devil]

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it has more to do with councils risking being sued when someone gets washed off the barriers trying to get to the school they didn't close. No buses here this morning but the school is still open.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, the winds are about starting here. Very strong winds expected overnight.

Thoughts to you, arethosemyfeet - suspect you'll get it rather worse than we will!

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, it's been quite windy further up the M80 here this morning too (and a bit wet), but the worst winds are forecast for this afternoon and evening. Apart from a quick jaunt to the library (5 mins away if the Elf Lass deigns to let me put her in the buggy, 15 mins away if she insists on walking, even longer if we have to examine every single leaf and branch in detail on the way), I don't think we'll be going very far today.

Arethosemyfeet, hope you are all safe and not too badly windswept!

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coming back from our usual Monday jaunt to the Health Centre we were reminded just what a Bad Thing 60s campus design is. Struggling across the howling canyons around the Hume Tower on the corner of George Sq was as much as this old dotterer could manage. And that, apparently, is the wind just getting going.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I think it has more to do with councils risking being sued when someone gets washed off the barriers trying to get to the school they didn't close ...

I suspect you're right - it wouldn't have occurred to us to sue them.

Hope you're all keeping safe. Even where my mother-in-law lives in East Anglia they were having fairly spectacular wind and waves last week off the Suffolk coast.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

No major problems here. The roof tiles are rattling something crazy, but the cycle to and from work was fine, and it's not windy enough to lift much into the air.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear all OK with you.
It's still blowing a hoolie here, but it's just noisy. At least so far.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Driving in this morning I had to pull over at one point and shift a bin out of the middle of the road. One carriageway of the main road past the shopping centre has been unexpectedly closed, but I don't know if that's weather related - there's another section heavily pot-holed where they keep putting up notices that it will be closed on a Sunday, then on the Monday replace it with another notice changing the date 'til a couple of weeks later.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son and his family are going up to Scotland as there is a persson up there ! They are going to enjoy !

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds good, daisymay.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I went today to the Scottish church in London and I is exselent.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I have never managed to visit either of the Churches of Scotland in London, daisymay, but shall do my best to do so next time I am there. Your love of them has quite inspired me. [Smile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A friend of ours who used to live in Orkney is one of the clergy at St. Columba's, Pont Street. Her appointment somewhat amused us as it's the sort of up-market church that would suit her (quite likeable but rather up-himself) husband very well indeed.

[Devil]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The whole country seems to be waking up from hibernation today. It's pleasant outside, there's evidence of daffodils to come and the burn* is where it ought to be, not flowing through my neighbours' back door as it did in January.

I'm grateful for the little bit of sunshine peeking through the clouds, for the roads being pretty good and for a cuppa with some neighbours this morning. Roll on April and some vitamin D.

Cattyish, off to buy some provisions.

*stream

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Snow forecast for tonight. [Devil]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Snow falling here right now. Not really settling though.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's a cool but gloriously sunny day here, although the Weather Channel's threatening us with about 6" of snow at the weekend.

Stuff that for a lark. [Frown]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

A good inch of snow here, and still falling.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Did anyone get a good view of the northern lights last night? I'd never seen them before, but yesterday evening I suddenly saw loads of photos and mentions of it on my facebook timeline so looked out of the window and saw the faintest bit of green. To be honest if I hadn't known that it was being seen all over Scotland I would have just assumed that it was a sliver of cloud, but I am still excited to be able to say I've seen it! Hopefully in the future we will be somewhere further north and less light-polluted and see it actually dancing and filling the sky. Some of the photos I saw online looked fabulous. Apparently there's also quite a good likelihood of aurora activity tonight too.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This popped up on Facebook today. An intersection of Scotland and J. K. Rowling should be noted here!

What a cool author. I bet she'd have come to Shetland too, with a bit more notice.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I grew up in Orkney, and my student holiday job was in the Orkney Library (not the current building - its predecessor). I loved the job, even though I don't remember us ever having quite such a distinguished visitor.

I don't remember any particular rivalry with Shetland Library, although there's always been a healthy rivalry between the two island groups.

Shetland - where men are men and sheep are worried ... [Devil]

JtL - if you go to the "Orkney Past and Present" Facebook page, there are loads of really excellent aurora pictures - really some of the best I've ever seen from Orkney. Wish I'd been there to see it in the flesh. **sigh**

[ 08. March 2016, 01:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I have been in Scottish church in London. It is a lovely one to be in. I was there at night on Sunday.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Is anyone watching An Island Parish from Unst? It's not a programme I usually bother with, but I spend a very happy summer on Unst too many years ago, and am enjoying the beautiful scenery and the familiar places. I am even recognising some faces!

Sorry, Piglet, but Shetland wins every time for me. [Biased]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
... Sorry, Piglet, but Shetland wins every time for me. [Biased]

Heretick! [Big Grin]

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I went to the Scottish Kirk today at lunch time. It is very good ! I like visiting it London.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
I went to the Scottish Kirk today at lunch time. It is very good ! I like visiting it London.

I have seen how much you enjoy this church, daisymay. It is good to find some place like that for each of us, isn't it?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016