homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » November Fitness Challenge? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: November Fitness Challenge?
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly miffed with yesterday's totals, so took myself out for an extra walk this evening.

So, November 4th - 22800 steps with 10531 of them being aerobic steps! New work routine is racking up the steps quite nicely, but in a way that's maybe not decent exercise.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Steps this week according to my phone step counter. It isn't counting everything because I don't carry my personal phone around at work, just getting to and from work and maybe if I get out at lunchtime. I also was on my feet for over an hour at Guides on Wednesday night with the phone at the far side of the room:

Nov 1st - 6,500 (including some running, not)
Nov 2nd - 8,500
Nov 3rd - 7,000
Nov 4th - 10,693 (My phone step counter reckons I ran too for 286 steps. It lies)

I'm not sure where the running has come from, but the step counter occasionally decides I have been running when I haven't, just maybe walked faster for a bit.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today was good, what with the split site and a 2 mile round trip to the centre.

Who knows what the weekend holds?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I managed 10,000 steps yesterday mainly due to walking to and from my class which is about a thirty minute walk each way. My weight is creeping up though so I need to watch that, but not today when my son is coming over and we're spening the evening cooking ourselves an Indian meal.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
November 5th: 23736 steps of which 20518 were aerobic. Nothing like a brisk 6 mile walk to the day conference to get most of the day's steps in before 9.00 a.m.! (And to get the fidgets out of me before having to behave all day..)

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to join in. My goal is to walk a total of 200,000 steps for the month of November.

My total so far is: 24,779.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday 5th - nothing.
Sunday, 6th: 2 hrs 5 min

Walked as I usually do on a Sunday. Before op etc I used to do 5.5 miles in about 1 hr 45 min but now I'm doing 2.6 in an hour, then taking another hour to walk back about 1.7. Oh well, I'm lucky to be able to do that.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the weekend held was 3hrs gardening and the walk to and from the centre. Today, an hour's gardening and no walk as some very, very cold November rain has begun. The back lawn is full of 6' plus hedge choppings. Much to large to be called trimmings.All taller than I am, as there was no trimming done for 2-3 years.

I have now invested in an incinerator as bagging up to take to the tip could be very time consuming indeed. And the garden refuse bags when full are enormous. I could only fit 5 max into my car, and there will be far, far more than 5....

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thus far.
Tuesday 1 November. 32 minutes running.
Wednesday. 33 minutes running and one hour "heavy gardening".
Thursday 36 minutes running.
Friday run to gym, gym, run back, about one hour total.
Saturday, fettling sailing club jetties, about 3 hours but as this wasn't all heavy aerobic I will only count one hour.
Sunday about 50 minutes walking and 30 minutes running.

Running total so far thus 6 hours and one minute (!).

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday 5th: 11,700 steps.
Sunday 6th: 10,800 steps.

Saturday was a lovely walk round a nature reserve, spotting red squirrels on the way. Today's plan to do similar was scuppered by unexpected guests, but I still managed a clamber across the fields at the back of my house, observed by some bemused sheep.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 6th: 8604 steps with no aerobic ones... but I did two hours of housework which included going up and down step ladders!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday just 3200 steps;
Sunday just over 2300 steps.

I do not presume to do any running steps, EVER!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday - 11,300 odd steps. This included a couple of hours at my monthly circle dancing group. Not very vigourous exercize, but great fun, specially a dance where we were pretending to be honey bees.
Sunday - 18,500 steps which included a lovely walk round one of our local Royal Parks looking at the autumn colours with my husband and son.
I'm with WW where running is concerned. Apart from the occasional dash for a bus, it isn't sometime I do.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4th Nov - 11515 steps including a gym-based C25K week 2 run 2
5th Nov - 10479 steps including a Parkrun-based C25K week 2 run 3 (even without walking to the fireworks display as is was cancelled)
6th Nov - estimated 5528 steps as my pedometer went on the blink.

Sundays are hard for me to get steps in because we don't have far to walk to church and then most Sunday afternoons we go to visit our godson and his family and playing with toddlers doesn't necessarily involve that many steps. Thanks to this fitness race I went out for wee walks twice in the evening but for some reason my pedometer reset itself during the last one. I'd done 3388 steps before I went out so we guestimated.

Teaching a dance class tonight which isn't necessarily step-heavy, but is better if I remember to walk about with the class or have to dance to make up numbers.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday 7th: 1 hr 25 min

Fitted with heart monitor then 40 min CV at gym 25 min walk home, plus 20 min walk later

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Monday 7th November: 20265 steps with 7002 steps being aerobic.

Be impressed, I'd done 11,000 or so steps at the end of the working day from Hell, but NO aerobic steps. So, I've discovered if I walk home via the supermarket for odds and ends, it's 7002 steps. [Smile]
Here's hoping today is a better day...

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday 4th managed 10,500 including some at speed

Saturday 5th November nada, not a thing. I had tickets for a concert in the evening and as i started mentally chivvying myself into action it dawned on me that, no, I really don't have to do this, I have shingles and if I don't feel well enough I probably shouldn't be going.

Sunday 6th November - a pretty boring 3500 shopping for food. It wasn't the moat exciting day, lots of doing a bit then a little lie down because that's how crap I felt.

Yesterday, 8200 (back at work).

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just about managing to do the 1 hour of daily movement - albeit split up into some very short chunks some days - 5 mins to local shops, 5 mins to local station etc. But racked up 90 mins on bike yesterday (2 x 45 mins commuting). But really my aim is to get into the habit of a minimum of an hour each day rather than some days none and some days lots.

I managed two out of the three focused extra fitness sessions. Outrigger canoe training on Saturday and then 90 mins energetic gardening on Sunday. Lots stretching up and bending down and moving and lugging and digging. Filled three massive garden waste sacks.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nov 7th - 6048 steps

Planning another run this evening and feeling very grateful for a workplace that heavily subsidises my gym membership.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday: 7719 steps
Tuesday: 11231 steps

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Tuesday 8th: 30 min

Walk to town and back while I was still wearing the heart monitor!!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, so the first week is over, here's a round up as best as I am able...

Lost in Action North East Quine obviously went outside to do some exercise and hasn't come back in again; blackbeard is running round in circles somewhere, huia and Belle Ringer have gotten lost on their walks. Come on back to us chaps, it's not too late.

Gold Stars go to To the Pain who I think has kept to her targets (though I'm not quite sure if there were two or three C25K runs) including doing 6k+ steps every day. And to SusanDoris for doing something almost every day, meeting her target of getting more mobile again. And Cottontail did at least 10,000 steps each day (well not reported yet for yesterday but I'm assuming).

Woo Hoo, Well Done: - Japes fell just below her target of 15,000 steps a day on a couple of days but smashed the target for aerobic steps on six out of seven days and did over 20,000 steps not just once but three times. Sarasa has met her 5,000 steps a day walking target but I'm not sure how many gym visits happened. Yangtze hit the one hour a day walking/cycling target but is one down on something extra.

Keep It Going Welease Woderick you're a bit down on recorded steps from your aim of 12,000 a day. Suggest investing in a waterproof and some socks!! Jacobsen, yay for walking around campus, but not quite as many extra miles into town/to shops as you'd hoped for - though gardening probably made up for some of that. Curiosity Killed is still recovering so understandably steps are down a bit, how's the aim for more cycling going?

Welcome to Finelines - if you want to hit 200,000 steps by end of November then you'll probably have to do more than 24,000 in a week, unless you're planning some long hikes.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

[Big Grin] and curtsies nicely.

I was quite proud of those aerobic steps this week!

Today, 8th November, has seen 16135 steps with 7232 of those being aerobic ones. (Looks like the 3 miles walk home from work does those 7000 aerobic steps nicely. AND I beat a bunch of supposedly fit young men walking up the hill which is the last mile home.)

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday 7th: 11,200 steps
Tuesday 8th: 10,700 steps.

And I went out in the SNOW this evening. The SNOW.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Soory, I don't understand the jargon - what is this SNOW of which you speak?

[Razz]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't trouble your head, it has obviously blanked it as far too traumatic an experience.

Actually, it is just cold, damp and dank here today.

Jen

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

did over 18,000 steps on Monday which included a rather nice Nordic walk around Richmond Park. Only just over 8,000 yesterday, but I did swim 650 metres. Today was going to be given over to a long walk with my husband, but its dark and miserable so I might just go back to bed.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Welcome to Finelines - if you want to hit 200,000 steps by end of November then you'll probably have to do more than 24,000 in a week, unless you're planning some long hikes.

Thanks Yangtze. I know I have to step it up, which is why I joined the challenge. I might not hit 200,000 by the end of November, but I figured it's more realistic than 10,000 steps a day, which I would have failed already! [Big Grin]

On Monday I did 6,468 steps.
On Tuesday I did 7,330 steps.

My total so far is 38,577.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Tuesday 8 November - 6,782 (rolled home from work at 10:30pm with no energy for anything extra)
Wednesday 9 November - 12,062 - apparently that includes 56 steps running, not sure how. Different site for work, walk up and back to Guides at the Scout Hut.

(GP wanted to sign me off sick to now, so I am allowed to still feel wiped out, aren't I?)

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Yes, CK, you are allowed to feel wiped out!

9th November - 23078 steps of which 14698 were aerobic.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Wednesday 10th: 40 min

Walk to town and back

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Thursday 11th: 55 min

Tap dancing

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for being MIA. My goal (which I didn't post) was an hour's exercise a day. I haven't been very good at keeping this up [Disappointed]

Yesterday though I looked at my messy garden and did half an hour's heavy weeding when I got home. This, added to my walking, gave me over an hour in total. [Yipee]

Thanks Yangtze for the gentle nudge.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

My phone has counted me at 9,846 steps today, which I am going to count as 10,000 achieved as I wasn't carrying my phone around in work and have been up and down the stairs at least 10 times today (carrying a pile of three chairs up and then down again at one point).

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Weds 9th: 13,000 steps
Thurs 10th: 10,500 steps

I have just got in from a late night stroll (10pm), as I was short of my target by a good 3000 steps and didn't think I'd make that up dodging about the house. I have been very unmotivated today, but knowing I had to report to you all gave me that extra push out the door.

The moon is bright and the stars are shining. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Wednesday - 10518 steps
Thursday - 1907 [isn't that the year Uncle Pete was born?] steps.

The good news is that the rash seems to be leaving my ankles so this morning I am going to try a slightly longer walk and see if they can stand it.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

10th November - 15987 steps, of which 8807 were aerobic.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Thursday - 1907 [isn't that the year Uncle Pete was born?] ...

Now, now, WW ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's only 4.25 pm here but I can't see me doing much more today.

I have done 5 hours gardening, with Georgie-Porgy keeping me company.

I am now going to soak myself in a bubble bath, and hope I have enough energy to get out of it again.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

Wednesday: 816 steps
Thursday: 15,767 steps

Total so far: 55,160 steps

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Friday 11th: 1 hr 15 min

Walk roundabout way to gym, plus CV there.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Wednesday 9th - 600m swim, an hour playing badminton (I hadn't picked up my raquet in ten years so that was fun) and just over 10,000 steps. Yesterday 15,000+ steps inclduing an hour of zumba.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

11th November - 21685 steps of which 12459 were aerobic.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Friday 11th November - 12,052 steps

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Friday - 13676 steps
Saturday - 21524 steps as I had to go to town a second time today!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Woo hoo, go WW.

You guys here rock. Knowing I would have to post here I cycled to work in the rain on Wednesday and got out and did a walk today in very dreich weather.

So I've just about managed to do my one hour a day. The 3 x extra exercise though still isn't really happening, can't seem to get my mojo for it.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I must admit the weekly feedback is helping to keep me at it!

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Friday 11th: 11,300 steps
Saturday 12th: 13,000 steps

A nice 4 mile walk round a lake today. I am discovering all the local (flat!) pathways.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Saturday 12th: 0 min!
Sunday, 13th: 1 hr 10 min

Walked - lovely morning.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

12th November - 22471 steps of which 13890 were aerobic.

It's a beautiful afternoon here, and my duties for the day all complete, and as I have no aerobic steps yet today, (4000 ordinary ones, though) I am off out to remedy that one!)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016