homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » November Fitness Challenge? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: November Fitness Challenge?
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday a scant 5930 steps.

Back to discipline in the morning, I think.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did 12,000 steps on Friday and over 15,000 so far today (We went for a walk looking at the wonderful colours in Richmond PArk0. Only 8,000 odd yesterday, but it was a horrible wet day.
We're off tomorrow for a few days holidayto Prague, so I'll report back when we return. We do tend to end up walking lots when we go to new places - I remember seeing most of the major sites in Rome in an evening when we first went there-so it will be interesting to see how far we do walk each day.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuing:
Monday 7 November: run to swimming pool, swim, run (sort of) back; 1 hour.
Tuesday: day devoted to boat maintenance and choir practice, nothing which could be called energetic.
Wednesday: run (not necessarily in circles) 32 minutes.
Thursday: another 32 minute run, plus about 10 minutes of an exercise routine.
Friday: boat scrub between tides. Some will recognise that this is a muddy and occasionally strenuous occupation but strenuousness is not well enough defined to count.
Saturday: choir rehearsal followed by performance, kept me busy (!) but I can't claim as aerobic exercise.
Sunday: rehearsal and service with scratch church choir which also doesn't count but a subsequent 54 minute run does.
Which gives us a total of 3 hours and 8 minutes for this week.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
17,791 steps according to my phone - 7.1 miles

Remembrance Parade, round the Paul Nash exhibition then walk down the Thames from Tate Britain to St Paul's.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today - walked up a small hill - 1 hour
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday: 4,434 steps
Saturday: 6,472 steps

Total so far: 66,066

(I probably won't reach 200,000 steps in November, but I'm okay with that - I was more just coming up with a number to motivate me to walk more often. I have an annoying medical condition where if I do too much exercise I get unwell and can't exercise, but if I don't do enough, my tolerance threshold for exercise gets lower. So I need to be doing some physical activity every day but not too much, and I'm trying to find the best balance. I'm happy with how I'm doing this month so far.)

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday 14th: 55 min

Shops and back, plus 25 min swimming

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
13th November - 18207 steps, of which 12746 were aerobic.

14th November - 19024 steps, of which 8535 steps were aerobic.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday 13th: 10,100 steps
Monday 14th: 10,200 steps

These last two days have been a bit of a struggle, not helped by the cold and rain. I got very wet indeed yesterday evening! But I got there. Just.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...whereas I chickened out this morning as it was raining but should manage a few steps later when I have to walk from one end of the town to the other - some people take the bus for one or two stops, something I just can't figure.

Yesterday [Monday] 16503 steps.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday 14 November - 12,791 steps

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rain. Walking doesn't happen. Time to pull out the stationery bike.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday 14 November - no walking, I was cold and shaking, which I later realised was shock from the previous night's quake and having to evacuate in case of a tsunami.

Tuesday - Nordic walking- fast for about half an hour because I thought I was late for an appointment (I wasn't [Yipee] ).

Huia - shaken, not stirred - like a martini.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday 15th: 1 hr 30 min
Walk to/from gym, plus time there.
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Monday 14 November - 12,791 steps

May I ask how much time that takes, or how far is the distance walked, please? I have absolutely no idea how the number of steps relates to anything! [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SusanDoris, I think it depends how long people's legs and strides are, but for me, 10,000 steps seems to be around 4 and a half miles. People measure in steps because there are lots of apps that count your steps when you put your phone in your pocket.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ys, my pace is about 65 cms so 10,000 paces is about 6.5 kms.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
10,000 steps, for me, is 4.2 miles or 6.75 kilometres. I have a pedometer which counts the steps for me which is set to my average pace.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Today I have walked 7007 steps according to my phone which it says is 2.8 miles and took me 1:03:09 - not entirely convinced by the time.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

15th November - 17606 steps of which 8704 were aerobic.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

Monday: 9,670 steps
Tuesday: 10,301 steps

Total so far: 86,037 steps

(My app doesn't tell me miles or time. I guess I walk about four and a half miles when I do 10,000 steps, because I know the rough distance of the places I go to.)

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

My thanks for all the above info on steps, times and distances.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

I have a question too. When people are saying some of their steps are aerobic - isn't all walking an aerobic exercise?
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Wednesday 16th: 45 min

Shops and back.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Set out for a 45 min walk and it turned into a 3 hour stroll.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did my twice or thrice weekly workout at the YMCA this morning, on the rowing machine, treadmill, track, weights etc. Am now physically and mentally knackered and convinced that my life has been shortened by it. That's precisely two years of it as of this week, and the medics are all so happy and pleased with me. They are killing me!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday 15th: 10,200
Weds 16th: 10,100

I've hit a real half-way slump this week. Am making my target, but only just. I couldn't face going back outside yesterday, but managed to make up my last 3000 steps by boogying around while doing the housework. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
I have a question too. When people are saying some of their steps are aerobic - isn't all walking an aerobic exercise?

I am using a pedometer to record my steps. It has two ways of doing this. The larger amount is the total number of steps whilst I've been wearing the pedometer.

The "aerobic steps" is how it describes the way it records the number of steps I've walked in a reasonably brisk way for a minimum of 10 minutes continuously.

I can easily do 7000 steps, or 3 miles, on most working days just by moving around the campus, but because most of that is in 5 minutes (at most) stints it doesn't come up on the "aerobic steps" count. Whilst I'm obviously reasonably active during the working day, it's not enough to help my fitness. Hence the challenge to myself to walk 7000 aerobic steps a day. (Which is about 3 miles of reasonably brisk walking with no breaks.) It happens to be my walking commute to work, and I'm trying to walk either to or from work as many days as is reasonable. Some days, I do both directions. Some days, it's not practical.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Wednesday 16 November - 11,700* (somewhere round there), including walk in the Forest in the dark with Guides - which was fewer steps than I thought it might be.

I don't carry my personal phone around in work so I don't get the 5 minute bursts, just the walks to and from stations or out at lunch time. But they are no more than a mile of brisk walking at a time, admittedly carrying a fairly heavy backpack.

I tried posting this last night on new toy and it hasn't posted and I can only be really accurate on the day (a 10" tablet with keyboard).

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 16th. 17232 steps of which 7114 were aerobic.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Thursday 17 November - 10,898 + 713 after midnight = 11,611

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Low figures as I'm away but here you go:

Tuesday 15th: 9757 steps
Wednesay 16th: 3425 steps [long walks on trains get a bit repetitive]
Thursday 17th: 6731 steps

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 17th - 16230 steps of which 7197 were aerobic.

Kind colleagues would be horrified to learn over 6000 steps were done after they bought me home from Parents Evening. " You can't walk home at this time of night." I can, really, I can. But, for the sake of peace, I let them bring me home, then went out for those last 6000...

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for disappearing and not cheering folk on and for the delay in posting a summary. W*rk has been a bit full on.

I'm going to do this as a weekly summary as several people had challenges of x amount per week. So here's how we were all doing Tues 8th - Mon 14th November.

Lost and Found Belle Ringer, Boogie and To the Pain have gotten lost. Jacobsen made a brief appearance and then disappeared. But praise be our missing brethren NE Quine, blackbeard and Huia have been found and returned to the fold.

Gold Stars
Japes totally smashed her targets - hitting three rather than two days of more than 20k steps, more than 10k daily of which every day well more than 7k were aerobic.
Cottontail hit her target of 10k steps every day.

Woo Hoo, Well Done (but Keep on Going)
Curiosity Killed didn't quite manage 10k steps per day plus extra cycling. But for someone who should've been signed off sick there was a pretty good daily step count.
Sarasa was doing well on beating 5k steps a day but then has clearly had Real Life so hasn't reported in for a while
Yangtze (thats me!) managed 1 hour of something (walking,cycling) every day but totally failed on the 3 x something extra. Keep me at it people.
Welease Woderick upped his steps from week one but still not quite managing 12k a day, though there was an impressive 21k in there one day
blackbeard I think ran twice rather than his target five times, but there was some other energetic stuff going on. Hope to see some more of the running shoes going forward.
Fineline got out and got moving on at least three days
SusanDoris did well on her target of moving more, I think I just have a couple of days missing
huia did a bit of walking and some epic gardening - 5 hours is very impressive, gardening is exhausting. Now to focus on that 1 hour a day target.

I've just realised that excuses so far have included monsoon and earthquakes. Cor.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Knowing that someone is very kindly keeping a record of what we are all doing definitely makes working towards fitness much more interesting I think.

Today, Friday, 18th, 1 hr 40 min

Walked to and from gym plus an extra to/from town.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back, after a few days holidaying in Prague. I managed at least 10,000 steps a day with over 20,000 on two fo the days. There's a lot to be said for being in a strange city where you don't know the transport system and you want to see the area anyway for racking up steps.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Thank you for my Gold Stars. [Big Grin]

I have a feeling a week where I've been doing three people's worth of work all week has contributed to my steps total. (This will be the case for the next two weeks as well...)

Today, November 18th, the totals are - 17562 steps of which 8423 are aerobic.

An idiosyncrasy of the pedometer is that if you stop doing the continuous walking, it stops counting "aerobic steps". However, if you start again, it waits 10 minutes before adding the new total! So, I had 6933 aerobic steps when I arrived home from work so made myself go out for a quick walk to the local shops which got another 1490 on to that total.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Thursday 17th: 10,300 steps
Friday 18th: 11,000 steps

Thank you for my gold star too - though I am fairly plodding in Japes' wake. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Friday 18 November - just under 13,000 steps - it counted me in at 13,701, but 713 of those were around midnight on my way home from the theatre on Thursday night.

Much added to by the severe delays on the Central Line - it was suspended through the centre of town and running a shuttle service outside. The platform where we were all dumped for the next shuttle was getting dangerously crowded so I followed the suggestion to find a bus, only to see a queue sufficient to fill several buses and only one route going where I needed to go. I decided it was quicker to walk from Leytonstone to Maryland - which is a couple of miles 2.4 miles according to Google Maps, 1.6 miles according to my phone mapping and 2.4 miles according to the phone step counter. Phone mapping told me it would take 43 minutes when I set out and I managed it in under half an hour, so it was brisk.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Nothing today - just walked a few yaards from friend's car into garden centre café!
from the sound of the weather forecast, it looks as if tomorrow will be a nil effort day too!

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I am declaring today's numbers early-ish as I am going to have a bath and slump with one of the 6 books I got 8 miles into the 15 miles done today, but in steps terms...

November 19th, 35388 steps of which 31353 were aerobic.

As it's World Toilet day, I visited 5 different toilets along the way (2 churches, 2 supermarkets and 1 caffeine emporium).

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
November 19th, 35388 steps ...

Wow. That is all. [Overused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Saturday 19 November - 10,397 + 1,641 after midnight = 12,038

This thread is making me do more. I walked from the Barbican (RSC production of Cymbeline) to Liverpool Street to up my steps yesterday as the chores in town and trip over to the Barbican weren't enough.

This is the first Saturday I've been able to do anything other to sleep to recover from the week.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Sunday, 20th: 45 min

The wind dropped, the sun came out, and although it went in again, I did a round the town walk, so was really pleased to be able to get out.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 20th, 15,300 steps of which 10,564 were aerobic.

And that neatly took me past the next milestone in my year long challenge to walk 2000 miles. It was 1000, but I did that by mid-August. This Ship Challenge has been great for keeping me well on course in that without getting bored.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Saturday 19th: 10,500 steps
Sunday 20th: 17,000 steps (go me!)

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Japes - I'm seriously impessed at 35,000 steps. How long did that take? It took me all day last week to get to not quite 25,000 and I thought at the time it isn't something I could do on a 'normal' day.
I had a very lazy week 8,000ish steps on Saturday 7,000ish on Sunday. Must try harder this week.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

On Saturday, I left home at 9.00 p.m. and was back just after 5.00 p.m. I reckon it was five hours of actual walking.

I did have a leisurely solitary lunch stop and afternoon catch-up with friends at a church craft fayre (a church I used to attend and still have very good links with. I do try to go to their social stuff and an occasional service if I'm not needed for organ playing at my church. Or the occasional funeral or wedding if they need my organ playing as their organist is unavailable.)

I have been aiming to walk at least 10 miles (or over 20,000 steps) on one weekend day for a while now, and every now and then if I've nothing else urgent to do, just keep going... Saturdays being better for this than Sundays.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

17 Nov - two brisk 30 min walks
18 Nov - 2 hour stroll
19 Nov - 2 hour walk
20 Nov - brisk 30 min walk
21 Nov - 10 mins vigorously scraping ice off car windows (does that count? It ought to! I am aglow with cold and effort)

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disappeared, but I was thinking of you all and the fitness race motivated me to get out and top up my steps on a number of days when I would rather have stayed inside! Here's my entire month so far, because it's not always easy to see where everything happened otherwise:
  • Nov 1st - 13,943 steps; C25K week 2, run 1
  • Nov 2nd - 9,010 steps
  • Nov 3rd - 7,745 steps
  • Nov 4th - 11,515 steps; C25K week 2, run 2
  • Nov 5th - 10.479 steps; Parkrun including C25K week 2, run 3
  • Nov 6th - 5,528 steps
  • Nov 7th - 6,048 steps
  • Nov 8th - 11,219 steps; C25K week 3, run 1
  • Nov 9th - 16,539 steps; C25K week 3, run 2
  • Nov 10th - 8,726 steps
  • Nov 11th - 7,541 steps
  • Nov 12th - 7,702 steps; C25K week 3, run 3
  • Nov 13th - 1,417 steps
  • Nov 14th - 7,790 steps
  • Nov 15th - 7,148 steps; C25K week 4, run 1
  • Nov 16th - 10,591 steps; C25K week 4, run 2
  • Nov 17th - 6,899 steps
  • Nov 18th - 9,814 steps
  • Nov 19th - 11,618 steps; C25K week 4, run 3
  • Nov 20th - 7,930 steps

Which means I have only missed my 6k steps target twice (and one of those days I spent in my bed recovering from a very late finish after a dance the night before) and the C25K runs are happening every week. I hope to be a bit better about posting for the rest of the month, but just knowing the race was here has helped. I even did some non-Parkrun outside running, which I would never have thought possible without the C25K podcasts. To be honest, the running is all a bit novel. I don't enjoy it, but I think I might enjoy having done it!

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Monday 21st: 25 min swimming

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016