homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » November Fitness Challenge? (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: November Fitness Challenge?
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
November 21st - 18783 steps of which 9380 were aerobic.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was away at the weekend and my figures are pretty abysmal but they are what they are - back to early morning walking tomorrow, I hope.

18th November: 5772 steps
19th November: 6434 steps
20th November: 1961 steps
21st November: 5061 steps

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tuesday, 22nd: 50 min at gym.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • 21st Nov - 8,909 steps

There's a lurgy going 'round and I have an inexplicably sore shoulder, but I'm still hoping to manage a run tonight. Mere existence of a Fitness Race mightbe enough to get me to the gym if it's still raining.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday 21st = 10,400 steps
Tuesday 22nd = 10,200 steps

I am determined to get to the end of the month with target achieved every day. Though I may collapse on the sofa on 1st December and not move for the next twelve hours.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lurgy here too - walking from car to Dr and back is hardly impressive! Figures later.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
November 22nd. 16579 steps of which 7618 were aerobic (And 1000 were done in a challenge to my self to create a stair challenge. After which my legs ached!!)

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only 7,693 steps on Monday and 6,960 yesterday. I did swim 650 metres yesterday though, and managed to swim each 100 metres about 10 seconds faster than my last swim.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • Nov 22nd - 3550 steps

So much for that run last night, I made it home after work and all I was good for was curling up and trying to balance a hot water bottle in the right place. Fortunately that seemed to work and by the middle of the night I was able to roll over in bed without gasping in pain and today seems much more comfortable (managed to dress myself without assistance too). Got baking to do tonight which will gain me a few steps and if I choose something that will be in the oven for a wee while I might even manage a run from the door too.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Japes, thanks for the clarification about aerobic steps. Mine is quite a simple app and has walking and running - I guess running is when it detects faster/bigger motion, because if I jump on my mini trampoline it counts it as running. But brisk steps it just counts as walking.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wednesday 16th: 12,267 steps
Thursday 17th: 14,100 steps
Friday 18th: 4,880 steps
Tuesday 22nd: 10,428 steps

Total so far: 127,712 steps

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 23rd - 15595 steps of which 7613 were aerobic.

There would've been more but I made the foolish error of getting on a bus before I realised how gridlocked my bus route home was. 1 hour 15 minutes on a bus to do a distance I could've walked in 15 minutes, with bored children and later on anxious parents banging on the bus door to get their children out at a non-bus stops, with a drive who refused to open doors except at a bus stop. Correct, but unhelpful on a day traffic was that bad.

I got off and walked the last two miles home, but I might've made all my evening commitments if I'd not got on the bus in the first place... Ah well, a lazy evening in once I got in was probably more beneficial.
[Big Grin]

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thursday, 24th: 50 min

tap, plus walk to and from coffee afterwards.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

• Nov 23rd - 7,742 steps

I did the baking and didn't do the run. I should probably run tonight before tea. Get out there and brave the cold. It's only 3 5-minute runs after all.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmph - overdid it on Saturday

Sunday - 4,261 - 1,641 = 2,620 (essential supermarket shop)
Monday 21 November - 6,750 (from the graph)
Tuesday 22 November - 9,500 (from the graph)
Wednesday 23 November -10,000 (and I didn't take the phone out for my lunchtime sprint - which became much faster than intended when a kid absconded)
Thursday 24 November - 6,844

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weds 23rd =10,200 steps.
Thurs 24th = 10,200 steps.

It's been interesting noticing the change in my level of fitness. I haven't lost any weight, alas, but I am definitely puffing less, and am walking faster much faster. Feels good.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 24th - 18057 steps of which 10257 were aerobic.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
8,110 steps on Wednesday which included a 'body pump' class. Not much moving about, but a lot of lifting of weights,
Yesterday 12,101 steps. I walked home from the supermarket (just over a mile) and then swept the drive, two things I wouldn't have done if I wasn't determiend to make a better show on this challenge!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Friday, 25th: 55 min

Gym - taxied to and from, as I felt a bit light-headed this morning.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not the best recently.
Since last post assorted gym, running, walking; about 9 hours total.
Thus running total, including previous posts, is now 18 hours and 9 minutes for the month so far.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today, 15,357 steps, including 110 running, which might be true, ran for a train at one point, unsuccessfully.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 25th - 18528 steps of which 12303 were aerobic.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Catching up a bit now I am virtually lurgy-free:

22nd November: 2811 steps
23rd November: 1826 steps
24th November: 7113 steps
25th November: 17134 steps!

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Saturday, 26th: 40 min

to town, around and home from.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Saturday 26th 30,898 - it would have been marginally less had I not been confused by a) where I arrived in Edinburgh at 6am off the sleeper bus - the usual bus station is being redeveloped - and b) me needing to be more awake to bully my phone mapping system to accept the address I meant not the one it was convinced I should want. Today's walking included some chunks of the Forth-Clyde canal, and we meant to walk a bit of the Union Canal, but a section was closes for the annual clean up. We saw the Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel, sadly out of action for the same clean.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been doing more than I have posted, but not as much as I had planned, and not nearly as much as the enthusiasts here.

One thing that helped was reading a report by NZ scientists about timing of exercise for diabetics, and their research based recommendation about the beneficial effect of even 10 - 15mins after the evening meal. It does wonder for mental clarity.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 26th - 30734 steps of which 23488 were aerobic.

Huia, I've been testing that research about exercise after the evening meal out as well. I'd been trying to make all my walking in the week connected to my commuting, and I based my targets of 15,000 steps, with 7,000 aerobic ones around what I did on those walks, with the aim of not giving up on walking to and from work as much as is practical on the dark nights and mornings.

However, it's definitely better for my blood sugars if I do some walking (half an hour to an hour works best for me) once I've eaten in the evening.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I managed over 10,837 steps on Friday mainly due to walking to and from my writing class and 20,561 yesterday, most of which were done walking along the Thames.

Our local leisure centre, which is five minutes walk from my house, had a Black Friday offer of a third off all inclusive membership for a year which I've taken up, I also got an extra 10% off as I'm over sixty. Even if I only did one class and one swim a week, which is what I've been doing anyway it works out cheaper, but I intend to make use of their gym as well, starting with a meeting with a personal trainor on Tuesday.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Sunday, 27th: 50 min

Walked 2.6 miles and I'm quite pleased with the time taken going down just a fraction each week, even though this means my fitness time total is slightly reduced! [Smile]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Friday 25th = 10,200 steps
Saturday 26th = 10,400 steps

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sunday 27 November 14,275

It would have been further had Stirling not been so steep. Having relocated my daughter's knee, tibia, fibia, both ankles and feet bones (ED) the previous evening, not to mention all the arm and wrist bones, she wasn't keen on climbing up to the top of the town again on the Treasure Trail we were following.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 26th - 15473 steps of which 11071 were aerobic.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Monday 28th - nothing at all. Frustrating day: apt 10:30 at Bournemouth Hospital, transport didn't arrive until 11:45. However, they did contact the hospital in plenty of time to tell them I'd be late. Was seen at about midday, then had to wait another two hours for transport home!!! I'm entitled to it because of the blindness. So of course I had to miss swimming this afternoon. *sigh* [Smile]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Well, there had to be one slip-up. Yesterday I ended up managing a crisis, and then crawled onto my sofa and stayed there. So:

Sunday 27th = 6000 steps
Monday 28th = 10,200 steps

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

26th November: 10192 steps
27th November: 2917 steps
28th November: 12358 steps

I normally take both Saturday and Sunday off from a planned walk but I had a few days off last week with lurgy so walked Saturday anyway.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Monday 28 November - 10,457

The things I did that are making my muscles tell me they worked are putting some lockers together to fit under the stairs and redoing two notice boards with all the jumping on and off chairs to reach.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 28th - 16388 steps of which 7758 were aerobic.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm - the puppy has put my fitness programme out of flunter - unless you count lifting a nine Kg weight 100 times a day [Big Grin]

I need to find a way to fit in four trips to the gym. Thinking cap is on ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sunday - Just over 10,000 steps and an 800 metre swim
Monday - Over 15,500 steps including a brisk nordic walk.

Yangtze - how are you doing?

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Tuesday, 29th: 1 hr 20 min

Taxi to gym, walked back via shops.
The fire alarm went off at the gym - apparently there was a gas leak so everyone had to go to assembly point. One of the instructors guided me out. fortunately, whatever the problem was it was sorted out but in the meantime staff brought out those foil blankets to keep us warm! I was hoping to bring it home as a souvenir, but don't think I could have squashed it into my back pack.
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Sunday - Just over 10,000 steps and an 800 metre swim
Monday - Over 15,500 steps including a brisk nordic walk.

Yangtze - how are you doing?

I wish I could do that Nordic walking. May I ask what sort of ground were you walking on? Do the sticks get stuck at all? Do they aid your balance?

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

• Nov 24th - 11,528 steps; C25K week 5, run 1
  • Nov 25th - 10,797 steps
  • Nov 26th - 8,118 steps; Parkrun* including C25K week 5, run 1
  • Nov 27th - 18,477 steps**
  • Nov 28th - 12,400 steps; C25K week 5, run 3

Having got rid of that really painful shoulder-blade knot I'm back on track with the C25K runs and managed the first 20 minute run last night without stopping. Dripped sweat all over the treadmill, but I did it. Next major challenge will be week 7 when I will have to run for 25 minutes on three separate days in a much warmer climate!

* I achieved a personal best and it turns out that at the moment, when I've got a plan to focus on (I did week 5, run 2 on the way out and an inverted week 1 on the way back) I am only fractionally slower than a very distractable alsatian.

** Probably not a single aerobic step amongst them, just a walk to my dance class concert, then from there into and around town. I even got a lift home.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Weds 23rd =10,200 steps.
Thurs 24th = 10,200 steps.

It's been interesting noticing the change in my level of fitness. I haven't lost any weight, alas, but I am definitely puffing less, and am walking faster much faster. Feels good.

It is interesting, isn't it? I've not lost any weight either (though I could stand to do so) but I can now run for far longer periods of time than I would have attempted before and there's much less puffing involved. Still rather red of face regardless!

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

SusanDoris said:

quote:
I wish I could do that Nordic walking. May I ask what sort of ground were you walking on? Do the sticks get stuck at all? Do they aid your balance?
I was walking in our local Royal Park so managed woodland sort of terrain, some up and downhill bits and some rougher areas, but mostly fairly safe underfoot.
I don't find the poles get stuck, but then I tend to only go out when the weather is dry. I did trip over the poles and go flat on my face the first time I did it though.
I do it with an instructor which is good, so maybe find one local to you if you fancy gicing it a try.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard people complain that they haven't lost any weight after taking on an exercise regime, and I understand the explanation is that muscle is heavier than fat, and you're turning one into the other.

You'll maybe find that even if the scales aren't terribly encouraging, the buttons on your trousers might be ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Today - 8,676 steps

(and in the much bigger building with lots of walking round it while my phone sat in the office)

My walking trousers were noticeably looser on yesterday morning - not as loose as I want, but getting there

[ 29. November 2016, 22:31: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

November 29th - 15012 steps of which 7274 were aerobic.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

• Nov 29th - 7,405 steps

Yet another day's goal achieved by a quick walk after tea motivated by 'got to post it on the Fitness Race'. So thank you all for your mere existence, but also the encouragement!

As the month winds down I'm trying to think about my goals for next month (I've become one of these terrible people who uses a Bullet Journal and colours in little squares each day for good habits). I will be doing a lot of travelling so I think I will up the daily stepcount but a lot of the other things I try to keep accountable for just aren't relevant in a campervan on the other side of the world. Hmm, this will take some thought.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

Wednesday, 30th: 40 min
To town, around and home. I could have decided not to go, but fitness months certainly promote action.

Sarasa
Many thanks for your reply. I did try to find a local instructor and left a message on an answerphone, but no response. I think I'll try again.

Piglet

I'm sorry to disappoint [Smile] but I think you'll find it is not true that fat turns into muscle. This is of course a very annoying piece of info!

[ 30. November 2016, 12:07: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Wednesday 30 November - 11,613 steps (it includes 56 steps running!)

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Wednesday 30th November. 19015 steps of which 8199 were aerobic.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016