homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » How could the Pro-life movement have wider appeal? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How could the Pro-life movement have wider appeal?
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People do want to adopt, but the market is all for infants (ideally white). To get these desirable infants most people now go for overseas adoptions.
Older kids, or kids from troubled situations or with special needs, are sadly plenteous the world over.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
People do want to adopt, but the market is all for infants (ideally white). To get these desirable infants most people now go for overseas adoptions.
Older kids, or kids from troubled situations or with special needs, are sadly plenteous the world over.

Non-Hispanic white women only account for 36% of abortions in the US and when you chip away at that by adding in those with fetal alcohol, born drug addicted or with other the developmental delays, etc that unfortunately make infants "undesirable" (even if they are white) you have a lot of unwanted, unlikely to be adopted infants that no one seems to have a plan for.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back to the violinist scenario, I don't think that thought experiments are meant to be realistic, which may make them unhelpful for some, yet helpful for others.

I was thinking of the famous firefighter/embryo scenario, (he has to choose between rescuing a baby or a tray of frozen embryos).

I have met people who said he should choose the embryos, but it probably doesn't tell us how we would behave in real life, or in fact, how our decisions are made.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a reply to the OP.
Unnecessary waiting periods

How stupid women are, that they need to be forced to think about their decisions. And of course pay many hundreds of dollars more for the privilege.

Want appeal? Treat us like adults.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
What I have never understood about the pro-life positon in the US is what they wish to do about all the unwanted children. In the US, the dysfunctional foster care system is already bursting with unwanted children, especially children of color and any with special needs. You create a scenario where a woman who lacks the resources for a healthy pregnancy is forced to carry a fetus she feels ambivalent about or even hostile towards, Anyone who has ever been pregnant knows the dedication it takes to create a good outcome and women under duress will not do all that needs to be done. They will not forgo unhealthy habits, may eschew prenatal care (access to which is limited for poor women in the US), suffer mental and emotional angusih (which has been shown to affect the fetus), etc. In the end you have an unwanted child who has not been properly cared for during pregnancy put into an overloaded system rife with neglect and abuse. I just never understand how that is a desirable situation. In the meantime the lack of any support for women in the US means she may lose her job (many women in the US are their family's primary bread winner) and not be adequately able to care for her previously born children and others she is responsible for. Pregnancy is more than a process its a relationship and although you can reduce a woman to the biological function of gestation you cannot force her to create the relationship required for a healthy outcome, physically, mentally or emotionally.

It's possibly the attitude that there is a kind of conspiracy to force a woman to see a pregnancy through rather than understanding that some people care about human life, and see the unborn baby as human life too, that stands in the way of progress.

There are a lot of parents who don't bond with their children, sadly, for all kinds of reasons. You are right to say that no one can force anyone into building healthy relationships. There are many who do want to do so, but who can't have children themselves.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's possibly the attitude that there is a kind of conspiracy to force a woman to see a pregnancy through rather than understanding that some people care about human life, and see the unborn baby as human life too, that stands in the way of progress.
I would guess that all people care about human life other than hardcore sociopaths and other truly disturbed individuals. Many people view the fetus, especially before viability, as a potential human life and so if progress means accepting your particular opinion on the matter, you're right that it will stand in the way of progress. There is no doubt (at least to me) that already born girls/women represent human lives and so I am very concerned about their treatment.
None of this of course, addresses the right to life plan for how to care for the million or so unwanted infants they wish to see brought into a world where hundreds of thousands of children already live in foster care and countless more languish in institutions around the world. If you care about them what is your plan?

[ 26. May 2015, 19:18: Message edited by: art dunce ]

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
It's possibly the attitude that there is a kind of conspiracy to force a woman to see a pregnancy through . . .

The term "conspiracy" seems a bit inaccurate since it implies a level of secrecy. The anti-abortion movement is pretty open about their goal of using the state's criminal justice powers "to force a woman to see a pregnancy through".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a question which may be worthy of its own thread:

From the point of view of those people who believe abortion is not morally wrong, what are your thoughts about an anti-abortion/pro-life (pick whatever name you wish) movement whose focus is specifically not to make abortion illegal again, but to create that social safety net I mentioned above as a way to lower the number of abortions?

(For that matter, what about the people who do believe abortion is morally wrong? Why not focus on the social safety net, instead of pouring endless amounts of time and money into making it illegal again?)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(If this should be its own thread, I'll happily start it. I don't know if this approach would be regarded as part of the existing "Pro-Life Movement(tm)," or an offshoot, or its own thing distinct from both "Pro-Life" and "Pro-Choice." To me it seems like taking the principles of the "Pro-Life" side and focusing on the social safety net, etc. rather than abortion's legality, but maybe I'm wrong there.)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
It's possibly the attitude that there is a kind of conspiracy to force a woman to see a pregnancy through . . .

The term "conspiracy" seems a bit inaccurate since it implies a level of secrecy. The anti-abortion movement is pretty open about their goal of using the state's criminal justice powers "to force a woman to see a pregnancy through".
Another example jumps out to show that if someone speaks out to say that they are uncomfortable with the abortion issue, they are likely to be lumped in with those who want to change the law rather than seen as people who care, for both mother and baby.

The cry of 'what to do with all of the unwanted babies' has the ring of 'let them die and decrease the surplus population' <shudders>. There are many people who want babies and who are happy to adopt unwanted babies.

Chastmastr, I like your idea.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They'd have to distance themselves from, rather than ally themselves with, those political parties whose policies are inclined towards withdrawing support from the vulnerable, the low paid and the unemployed to be credible.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK there were 185,331 terminations of pregnancy in 2013¹ and as of 31st March 2014 there were 68,840 children in care², 6% of whom were under a year.

There are some assumptions in the proposition of asking women to carry those nearly two hundred thousand babies to term to provide more children for adoption.
  1. There is a pool of people waiting to adopt children - finding numbers is difficult but there are very low numbers adopted from that number of children in care - that BPAS page gives the following figures from that 69,000 children in care:
    quote:
    5% (3,580) were placed for adoption
    4,820 children had an adoption decision but were not yet placed at 30th September 2014.
    3,470 children had a placement order for adoption but were not yet placed at 30th September 2014

That's around 12,000 from the 69,000, so around one sixth or 17% of all the children in care. It doesn't look as if adoption is the solution for those children already in care.
  2. The women involved are willing to jeopardise their health and careers for a possible baby;
  3. That having persuaded all these women to carry to term the babies will be available for adoption immediately, not after the home situation has broken down, leaving more older children in care.
  4. That whoever involved in organising this new policy will be happy to fund the additional costs of full term pregnancy and birth, the prenatal care of up to $25,000, hospital costs of delivery - up to $37,227 for uncomplicated vaginal delivery, up to $71,000 for a caesarean, maternity costs: the new wardrobe including bras to cope with the changing shape of the woman both during the pregnancy and following, time off work for prenatal appointments, as against the costs of termination of pregnancy ($800) (using US prices as easier to source)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although in the UK, a lot of that will be free, assuming you go NHS. But then the abortion would also be free.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did say that I was using US figures. However my point still stands: the NHS or UK Government funds those additional costs. So that might play into Government willingness to enforce such a policy.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I did say that I was using US figures. However my point still stands: the NHS or UK Government funds those additional costs. So that might play into Government willingness to enforce such a policy.

I should have said, I wasn't disputing your core argument. I'm skeptical about this 'we don't want to make abortion illegal, but we want every woman to have their baby, and they will all be taken care of' argument. Sounds like those 'abortion advice centres', where you're shown pictures of foetuses, listen to their heart-beats, and given other pro-life propaganda.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

From the point of view of those people who believe abortion is not morally wrong, what are your thoughts about an anti-abortion/pro-life (pick whatever name you wish) movement whose focus is specifically not to make abortion illegal again, but to create that social safety net I mentioned above as a way to lower the number of abortions?

The hypothetical movement you describe sounds a lot like the pro-choice movement (keeping abortion legal while strengthening social programs like sex ed, contraceptive access, legal protections for pregnant workers, etc.)

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

What I find utterly repulsive about the more strident pro-life faction is their blatant hypocrisy. (Far, far too many examples to insert here, but if you want a fresh one hot from today's headlines put in the word "Duggar" into a search window. And then step back and hold your nose.)

So, yes: if the focus of the pro-life movement could shift from the "what is between your legs, I get to manage" bit over to the actual caring for, you know, life, then my ire would diminish greatly. They could then ease back from the misogynist oppression agenda. And then, when a major figurehead of the movement is found with his pants down with his sister, the furor might not be less, but the embarrassment would hopefully be cooler. The element of "the law, it is for those little people, not me" would be gone.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
What I find utterly repulsive about the more strident pro-life faction is their blatant hypocrisy. (Far, far too many examples to insert here, but if you want a fresh one hot from today's headlines put in the word "Duggar" into a search window. And then step back and hold your nose.)

So, yes: if the focus of the pro-life movement could shift from the "what is between your legs, I get to manage" bit over to the actual caring for, you know, life, then my ire would diminish greatly. They could then ease back from the misogynist oppression agenda. And then, when a major figurehead of the movement is found with his pants down with his sister, the furor might not be less, but the embarrassment would hopefully be cooler. The element of "the law, it is for those little people, not me" would be gone.

It's not so much hypocrisy as a blatant double standard (if there's a meaningful difference between those things). From blogger Scott Lemieux's observations on a vote by Congressman Scott DesJarlais*:

quote:
The problem with this is that the formal legal status of abortion is essentially irrelevant to whether the wives, mistresses, and daughters of people like Scott DesJarlais and John McCain will be able to obtain safe abortions. They are fully aware of this when they vote for every abortion regulation and ban to come down the pike. And the disjuncture also illustrates that these votes are appalling. All women should have access to safe, legal abortions, not just women who are affluent or who have access to the patronage of people like Scott DesJarlais.
--------------------
*Short version: Rep. DesJarlais is a noted opponent of abortion who had it come to light that he pressured both his wife and his mistress to have abortions when they had inconvenient pregnancies.

[ 27. May 2015, 14:08: Message edited by: Crœsos ]

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

quote:
In the UK there were 185,331 terminations of pregnancy in 2013¹ and as of 31st March 2014 there were 68,840 children in care², 6% of whom were under a year.

There are some assumptions in the proposition of asking women to carry those nearly two hundred thousand babies to term to provide more children for adoption.
  1. There is a pool of people waiting to adopt children - finding numbers is difficult but there are very low numbers adopted from that number of children in care - that BPAS page gives the following figures from that 69,000 children in care:
    quote:
    5% (3,580) were placed for adoption
    4,820 children had an adoption decision but were not yet placed at 30th September 2014.
    3,470 children had a placement order for adoption but were not yet placed at 30th September 2014

That's around 12,000 from the 69,000, so around one sixth or 17% of all the children in care. It doesn't look as if adoption is the solution for those children already in care.
  2. The women involved are willing to jeopardise their health and careers for a possible baby;
  3. That having persuaded all these women to carry to term the babies will be available for adoption immediately, not after the home situation has broken down, leaving more older children in care.
  4. That whoever involved in organising this new policy will be happy to fund the additional costs of full term pregnancy and birth, the prenatal care of up to $25,000, hospital costs of delivery - up to $37,227 for uncomplicated vaginal delivery, up to $71,000 for a caesarean, maternity costs: the new wardrobe including bras to cope with the changing shape of the woman both during the pregnancy and following, time off work for prenatal appointments, as against the costs of termination of pregnancy ($800) (using US prices as easier to source)

"68,840 children in care" sadly this is close to the number of children in foster care just in the state of California (approx 66,000).

The truth is those who support forcing women to continue unwanted pregnancies have no plan for what would amount to a million unwanted children a year in the US.

I think that the problem with too many pro-life supporters is that they either completely ignore the reality of the situation, fantasize that the women will suddenly have a change of heart or that there are countless safe, adoptive homes awaiting, or have a craven disregard for what happens to the children born of these situations.

US stats by state

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

The hypothetical movement you describe sounds a lot like the pro-choice movement
No it does not. The pro-choice movement is not a monolithic group. There are pro-choice people who do not care beyond legalisation. The painting of an entire group with a single brush and pot of paint is simplistic and wrong.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think that the problem with too many pro-life supporters is that they either completely ignore the reality of the situation, fantasize that the women will suddenly have a change of heart or that there are countless safe, adoptive homes awaiting, or have a craven disregard for what happens to the children born of these situations.

First, let's distinguish between "solving" the issue and ameliorating it. Just because we may not "solve" this problem by throwing money at it, does not mean that we should not throw money at it. I think it is entirely defensible to say that the state should invest a few billion currency units to help pregnant women and young families. That is a damned good idea as such and likely more helpful to society than say buying a few nuclear submarines at the same price tag. And in addition it is likely to prevent some unnecessary abortions by giving some women opportunities they did not have before. I fail to see how anybody in either the pro choice or pro life camp can be against that outcome. To insist on "all or nothing" to me sounds like privileging the ideological war over pragmatically improving the common good.

Second, it is unfair to demand of the "pro life" side that they must arrange society so that every unwanted pregnancy can become a wanted baby. The primary solution to unwanted pregnancies is of course to not become pregnant unless you want to. And yes, if you think that having sex whenever you want and with whom you want is a human right, or at least so desirable as to trump other concerns, then this means contraception. Or, given the still too high failure rates we see with contemporary contraception, developing better contraception or perhaps using sterilisation. There are other possible solutions, too. Like not having sex as much and/or increasing the number of children you want. But how terribly unrealistic these other solutions might be to your mind does not change that this simply is a different discussion.

The pro life side does not have to justify its moral objections to abortion by providing a contingency plan for every unwanted pregnancy or finding some magic that avoids all unwanted pregnancies in the first place. It would be beautiful if this were possible, but the sad truth is that unwanted pregnancies which are not terminated will in many cases result in hardship. And the way these things work out, it is a safe bet that these hardships will disproportionally affect women and children. But from that it neither follows that the moral objections against abortion are invalid, nor that those who voice these moral objections hate women and children.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
The pro life side does not have to justify its moral objections to abortion by providing a contingency plan for every unwanted pregnancy or finding some magic that avoids all unwanted pregnancies in the first place.

Nice sidestep. What's being criticized aren't the "moral objections" of the pro-life* side but the rather obvious negative consequences of their advocated policies. If all that was at stake was some people's smug sense of moral superiority not many people would get that worked up about it, but give that the policies advocated by the pro-life* side would have hugely negative impacts on a lot of people, I don't think you can just hand-wave away the obvious results of such policies.

--------------------
*Offer expires at birth.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, examples are not hard to find. An aunt of mine nearly died in childbirth, after begging for an abortion, as previous births had been very difficult. This was in the dark days, and her obstetrician was Catholic, and refused. She was in hospital for two months, no doubt ruminating on the moral arguments pro and con.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I did say several pages back that the moral solution was to change society's attitude to sex, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Practically, termination of pregnancy is the least bad solution as the outworkings of policies that insist outlawing medical abortions are not great when you (general you) start looking at what is actually involved.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
I did say several pages back that the moral solution was to change society's attitude to sex, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Practically, termination of pregnancy is the least bad solution as the outworkings of policies that insist outlawing medical abortions are not great when you (general you) start looking at what is actually involved.

On your first point, I would say we are on a long recoil from a period of sexual repression. I don't think you can do much about it, it's a bit like being starved for a period, you tend to feel hungry. Moral exhortation may also rebound.

I agree with your other point.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
On your first point, I would say we are on a long recoil from a period of sexual repression. I don't think you can do much about it, it's a bit like being starved for a period, you tend to feel hungry. Moral exhortation may also rebound.

It is the same thing with women's rights. After many millennia of second-class status, within my lifetime we have (as the ad used to say) come a long way, baby. And so we are rather stroppy with things like this Trans Vaginal Probes, You Love 'em

[ 27. May 2015, 22:44: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, examples are not hard to find. An aunt of mine nearly died in childbirth, after begging for an abortion, as previous births had been very difficult. This was in the dark days, and her obstetrician was Catholic, and refused. She was in hospital for two months, no doubt ruminating on the moral arguments pro and con.

This assumes that the abortion would have gone smoothly, of course.

The answer to this sort of question is one to be made on a proper clinical basis. On a spectrum, at one end the mother is going to die regardless. In that case, the doctors should do all possible to ensure a safe delivery. The other end is that the child will die come what may, and in that case a course which involves termination is justified. In between is nowhere near as easy.

In our own case, Madame's very much wanted pregnancy was extremely difficult, and she spent quite some time in hospital before giving birth and a longer than usual time after. But she and Dlet both came through.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
First, let's distinguish between "solving" the issue and ameliorating it. Just because we may not "solve" this problem by throwing money at it, does not mean that we should not throw money at it. I think it is entirely defensible to say that the state should invest a few billion currency units to help pregnant women and young families. That is a damned good idea as such and likely more helpful to society than say buying a few nuclear submarines at the same price tag. And in addition it is likely to prevent some unnecessary abortions by giving some women opportunities they did not have before. I fail to see how anybody in either the pro choice or pro life camp can be against that outcome.

And yet increased social spending is by no means uncontroversial. In fact, opposition to it seems more strongly correlated with opposition to legal abortion than support of it. Usually opposition to this kind of "nanny state" spending is couched in the idea that such spending is pernicious to individual virtue or is actively destructive to the family; basically that such spending is counter-productive to its stated aims. While I don't find this argument convincing, I find it easy to see how a good number of people could be against that outcome.

quote:
And yes, if you think that having sex whenever you want and with whom you want is a human right, or at least so desirable as to trump other concerns, then this means contraception.

It's modifiers like that which make people suspect the anti-abortion movement is more about controlling women's sex lives than preventing abortions. The odds of pregnancy are pretty much exactly the same if a woman has sex whenever she wants with one whom (e.g. a husband) or many whoms (e.g. a succession of willing strangers). The only reason to get bent out of shape about women choosing their own sex partners is if you feel that they'll pick wrong and it's somehow your responsibility to prevent this.

Of course, the "don't have sex (even if your're married) unless you can afford to have a(nother) child" position basically boils down to "poor people shouldn't be screwing (even if they're married)", which is one of the reasons why a sustained program of expanded social spending is probably doomed in the long run when initiated on these terms. Once you've postulated that lifelong chastity is a reasonable demand to place on the poor (i.e. the only people whose decisions regarding abortion are likely to be influenced by a massive increase in social spending), then lifelong chastity will be seen as the much more economical option, from a government spending perspective.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

This assumes that the abortion would have gone smoothly, of course.

The answer to this sort of question is one to be made on a proper clinical basis. On a spectrum, at one end the mother is going to die regardless. In that case, the doctors should do all possible to ensure a safe delivery. The other end is that the child will die come what may, and in that case a course which involves termination is justified. In between is nowhere near as easy.

In our own case, Madame's very much wanted pregnancy was extremely difficult, and she spent quite some time in hospital before giving birth and a longer than usual time after. But she and Dlet both came through.

You left out a tiny detail - what the woman wants.

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

quote:
quote:

First, let's distinguish between "solving" the issue and ameliorating it. Just because we may not "solve" this problem by throwing money at it, does not mean that we should not throw money at it. I think it is entirely defensible to say that the state should invest a few billion currency units to help pregnant women and young families. That is a damned good idea as such and likely more helpful to society than say buying a few nuclear submarines at the same price tag. And in addition it is likely to prevent some unnecessary abortions by giving some women opportunities they did not have before. I fail to see how anybody in either the pro choice or pro life camp can be against that outcome. To insist on "all or nothing" to me sounds like privileging the ideological war over pragmatically improving the common good.

Second, it is unfair to demand of the "pro life" side that they must arrange society so that every unwanted pregnancy can become a wanted baby. The primary solution to unwanted pregnancies is of course to not become pregnant unless you want to. And yes, if you think that having sex whenever you want and with whom you want is a human right, or at least so desirable as to trump other concerns, then this means contraception. Or, given the still too high failure rates we see with contemporary contraception, developing better contraception or perhaps using sterilisation. There are other possible solutions, too. Like not having sex as much and/or increasing the number of children you want. But how terribly unrealistic these other solutions might be to your mind does not change that this simply is a different discussion.

The pro life side does not have to justify its moral objections to abortion by providing a contingency plan for every unwanted pregnancy or finding some magic that avoids all unwanted pregnancies in the first place. It would be beautiful if this were possible, but the sad truth is that unwanted pregnancies which are not terminated will in many cases result in hardship. And the way these things work out, it is a safe bet that these hardships will disproportionally affect women and children. But from that it neither follows that the moral objections against abortion are invalid, nor that those who voice these moral objections hate women and children.

In the US "pro-life" is not merely a moral/philosophical position but a political movement. In the US the pro-choice lobby seeks to end all legalize abortion for any reason and is seeking a constitutional amendment that grants full person-hood to a fertilized egg. This would end all abortion, even those required to to spare life and health and those for children who are victims of incest and all women/girls who have victimized by rape. It has the added benefit of outlawing several of the most reliable forms of contraception because the lobby "believes" they cause abortion. Currently, women have a right to an abortion in the first trimester and later with good reason. Any political movement that seeks to change the law is responsible for explaining to fellow citizens why they wish to change the law, what benefit(s) to society will result and what the plan is to mitigate harm. It is the pro-life side re-arranging society so they are responsible to ensure "every unwanted pregnancy can become a wanted baby." Unless their goal is millions of unwanted children which I find to be a baffling goal. Countries that deem abortion illegal don't have fewer abortions. Outlawing reliable contraception leads to more unintended pregnancies. What is the end game? How will society benefit from outlawing abortion? How will society respond to the overwhelming number of unwanted children? How will society compensate a family for a lost mother or sister who died from forced gestation? How about a breadwinner who lost her job and can't pay her hospital bill or rent? THese are societal questions with real life and death consequences to actual families.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

It is the same thing with women's rights. After many millennia of second-class status, within my lifetime we have (as the ad used to say) come a long way, baby. And so we are rather stroppy with things like this Trans Vaginal Probes, You Love 'em
I think the two are often interlinked - I mean that sexual repression included the control of women's bodies by men. Abortion shows that there is still a contestation over this.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
In the US "pro-life" is not merely a moral/philosophical position but a political movement. In the US the pro-choice lobby seeks to end all legalize abortion for any reason and is seeking a constitutional amendment that grants full person-hood to a fertilized egg. This would end all abortion, even those required to to spare life and health and those for children who are victims of incest and all women/girls who have victimized by rape. It has the added benefit of outlawing several of the most reliable forms of contraception because the lobby "believes" they cause abortion. ... THese are societal questions with real life and death consequences to actual families.

The US pro-life stance is so illogical, giving way the moment you put any weight upon it, that it is impossible to believe in it. The only theory that makes sense is that it is all a cloak, so that they can have fun with their transvaginal probes. (The other theory, that they are in severe need of psychoactive meds, has to be addressed by Obamacare, which they also vigorously oppose.)

[fixed code]

[ 28. May 2015, 14:53: Message edited by: John Holding ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quetzalcoatl, assuming she's conscious, yes, and her partner's opinion should be sought also. We still hold to the position that abortion should only be considered when the life of the mother is at serious risk should she continue to carry the child.

The position is very different her to that in the US. There is neither a pro-lfie or prop-choice lobby. The question is not really on the political agenda and is unlikely to be there.

[ 28. May 2015, 06:45: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

From past experience of discussing this with other women I have often found that people seem influenced by their own experiences and emotions. Those who have had fertility problems have found the termination of any pregnancy inconceivable and offensive; those who are so fertile that birth control methods are insecure may think that abortion is an evil, but see it as a necessary evil.

A rising number of terminations in the UK are for older women. There have been articles in the press highlighting this and discussing reasons, one of which is they are no longer eligible to use the contraceptive pill (only recommended for under 35 smokers and 45 for non-smokers with no other contraindications). From the 2013 statistics¹, table 4a

Women aged 34-39 - 18,955
Women aged 40-44 - 7,662
Women aged 45-49 - 686
Women aged over 50 - 24

So about 15% of the 181,000. This suggests that contraceptive failure continues to be an issue even into later years of fertility, and abortion is not just a problem for feckless teenagers and young women.

(Those 2013 statistics were released in June 2014, which suggests the 2014 statistics are due out soon.)

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
While I don't find this argument convincing, I find it easy to see how a good number of people could be against that outcome.

Practical politics is indeed about compromises between competing aims. What policies one might adopt to best further the interests of say pregnant women out of wedlock as well as of (married) families, is a political question. But I welcome your understanding for those who set different priorities than you. That is a good starting point for policy discussions.

quote:
The only reason to get bent out of shape about women choosing their own sex partners is if you feel that they'll pick wrong and it's somehow your responsibility to prevent this.

Foetuses do not spontaneously pop into existence in wombs. If I am supposed to worry about unwanted pregnancies, then that inevitably leads to worrying about the sexual choices people make, which lead to these unwanted pregnancies.

quote:
Once you've postulated that lifelong chastity is a reasonable demand to place on the poor (i.e. the only people whose decisions regarding abortion are likely to be influenced by a massive increase in social spending), then lifelong chastity will be seen as the much more economical option, from a government spending perspective.

Rich people could afford to have more kids than poor people, if one assumes that children require a decent level of material support. If in practice poor people have more kids than rich people, it is entirely licit to consider what might address the unbalance. To phrase all this in terms of class war and pretend that the only option is for the poor to have (almost) no kids, is just gutter politicking.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
From past experience of discussing this with other women I have often found that people seem influenced by their own experiences and emotions. Those who have had fertility problems have found the termination of any pregnancy inconceivable and offensive; those who are so fertile that birth control methods are insecure may think that abortion is an evil, but see it as a necessary evil.

A rising number of terminations in the UK are for older women. There have been articles in the press highlighting this and discussing reasons, one of which is they are no longer eligible to use the contraceptive pill (only recommended for under 35 smokers and 45 for non-smokers with no other contraindications). From the 2013 statistics¹, table 4a

Women aged 34-39 - 18,955
Women aged 40-44 - 7,662
Women aged 45-49 - 686
Women aged over 50 - 24

So about 15% of the 181,000. This suggests that contraceptive failure continues to be an issue even into later years of fertility, and abortion is not just a problem for feckless teenagers and young women.

(Those 2013 statistics were released in June 2014, which suggests the 2014 statistics are due out soon.)

I think that you left out another group, those women who don't consider abortion to be evil at all. I've no idea what the relative numbers are, but anecdotally, the 'non-evil' group are not inconsiderable.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
In the US the pro-choice lobby seeks to end all legalize abortion for any reason and is seeking a constitutional amendment that grants full person-hood to a fertilized egg. This would end all abortion, even those required to to spare life and health and those for children who are victims of incest and all women/girls who have victimized by rape.

Abortion is intrinsically gravel immoral, and since one may not do evil to achieve good, is morally illicit under all circumstances. To what extent one should cast this into law though, and in particular, penalise those who abort, is a different and much more difficult question. I would suggest that a discussion of practical politics allows more compromise than one of morals. We could have two people agreeing that a woman who has aborted a pregnancy resulting from rape should not be jailed for it, even if one of them thinks that abortions are generally fine and the other thinks that they are generally evil.

quote:
It has the added benefit of outlawing several of the most reliable forms of contraception because the lobby "believes" they cause abortion.

Whether something causes abortion or not is not a matter of "belief". It is a fact about the world that can be obtained. If it is unknown currently, then the moral status of the method is unclear. The issue of contraception is decidedly different to the one of abortion, and one should avoid mixing them up.

(FWIW, while it is often believed that the RCC outlaws contraception, this is imprecise. The RCC officially outlaws the use of contraception within marriage, and sex outside of marriage. There is no official teaching on what using contraception for sex outside of marriage adds morally over and above the general prohibition against sex outside of marriage.)

quote:
Any political movement that seeks to change the law is responsible for explaining to fellow citizens why they wish to change the law, what benefit(s) to society will result and what the plan is to mitigate harm.

A political movement may be about moral concerns, and the improvement it seeks for society may be moral in nature. I agree that a political party seeking governance needs to have more comprehensive answers, but this does not necessarily mean that they have to propose plans which make "everything as good or better in every conceivable way". It is entirely licit to propose some good politically, even if that has considerable costs to society associated with it.

quote:
It is the pro-life side re-arranging society so they are responsible to ensure "every unwanted pregnancy can become a wanted baby."

No, they are not responsible for that at all. Just like somebody proposing that we switch entirely to renewable energies does not have to argue that every single aspect of our current life style can be maintained after doing so. It may be a political tactic to do this, but it is not required. It is entirely possible to say "I propose this good, for these reasons, even though it will cost us this." In a democracy, ultimately one has to convince voters that the benefits outweigh the costs, but one does not have to show that something is "cost neutral". And benefits and costs do not have to be "in kind". It is entirely possible to sacrifice one kind of thing for another kind of thing. One can for example trade moral good against economic hardship.

quote:
How will society respond to the overwhelming number of unwanted children?

Eventually, by having fewer unwanted children. This will likely require changes in social behaviour patterns. In particular, it will mean women returning to a general attitude of careful selectivity and exclusivity concerning their male sexual partners. As for men, it will likely mean a considerable reduction in their overall sexual activity. In general, it will be advisable to have sex with someone only if you believe that they will be a parent to the potential child. And even in relationships that accept this possibility, it may be advisable to forego sex if having another child would be problematic for example due to economical reasons. (Cleverly managed with natural family planning, avoiding pregnancy still requires a reduction of sexual activity by about 50%.)

I don't think we would go back to the 1950s, actually. But a society without abortion and contraception obviously would have to roll back much of the "sexual revolution" as we know it.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or a massive increase in sterilisation and prostitution.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Yes, and a return to double standards, probably; men have affairs and shag prostitutes, women have a pure unsullied life as vessels of domestic harmony and propriety.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I know a few children born after sterilisation operations too. And before the cynics among you think thoughts about people playing away, I can think of at least two mothers who had been sterilised who went on to have another child. Sterilisation operations also have failure rates.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Not for nothing is abstinence touted as the only certain form of contraception, and as I read Ingo B's last post he accepts that is near impossible in today's society. In our case, we combined 2 extremely low-risk methods, and had no further children.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

Well, if you are outlawing contraception you are presumably outlawing sterilisation as well. And even is you assume that the demand for prostitution skyrockets, it does not necessarily follow that the supply will.

I think there is an idea behind this, that the total amount of sex per capita is an unchangeable constant. Thus if one restricts sex somewhere, it has to show up somewhere else in due proportion.

I'm not sure that that is true. I certainly haven't seen any serious evidence for this claim. Though admittedly it is not going to be easy to get decent quantitative data on this.

quote:
Yes, and a return to double standards, probably; men have affairs and shag prostitutes, women have a pure unsullied life as vessels of domestic harmony and propriety.

First, a double standard is not an argument against a proposed standard. If we let men get away with things that we do not let women get away with, then that is the problem, quite irrespective of what we actually have selected as the things one has to get away with. Second, it is interesting how the assumption is that the men have the better part in this. It is evil to lead a "pure unsullied life as vessels of domestic harmony and propriety", is it good to "have affairs and shag prostitutes"? Will women be better off if they also "have affairs and shag prostitutes"? Is that the goal we should set ourselves in tackling these double standards?

It has been assumed, traditionally, that women do have higher standards than men in matters of sex. Perhaps that is wrong, though personally I do not think that it is. But be that as it may, I cannot actually see this assumption as an insult to the female gender.

(And I would add that "higher standards" does not equate to "less desire". There are gluttons, gourmands and gourmets. To say that women are not indiscriminate gluttons does not have to mean that they are anorexic gourmets. The could be gourmands of considerable girth...)

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:
quote:
And yes, if you think that having sex whenever you want and with whom you want is a human right, or at least so desirable as to trump other concerns, then this means contraception.

The only reason to get bent out of shape about women choosing their own sex partners is if you feel that they'll pick wrong and it's somehow your responsibility to prevent this.
Foetuses do not spontaneously pop into existence in wombs. If I am supposed to worry about unwanted pregnancies, then that inevitably leads to worrying about the sexual choices people make, which lead to these unwanted pregnancies.
Except that some of the information you seem to think is critical is actually irrelevant. Your claim that the identity and number of sex partners ("whom you want") is just as important as frequency of intercourse ("whenever you want") when assessing the chance of unplanned pregnancy seems of that nature. As I've stated before, if you know the latter the former is largely irrelevant if your interest is in shaping public policy to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Your focus on taking some kind of sexual census seems prurient, creepy, and about as relevant to questions of pregnancy as assessing the religious affiliation of sex partners.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

My feeling is that women have tolerated that for too long. Whenever we allow even the slightest encroachment onto our autonomy, persons of ill will or ignorance seize upon it and we're on the slippery slope to burkas and Duggars.

It is my body, not yours. I do not invite your opinion or interference in it; if I ever do the invitation will be unmistakeable and so you need not worry about it. Drag your focus out from between my legs, and concentrate upon your own personal organs, the only thing you can or should control.

This expresses my feeling: Tee Shirt

Most garments of this type (popular in the US) are illustrated with the image of a gun. This garment was specifically designed to call that to mind.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, the concept of patriarchy has been summarized as the attempted control of women's bodies and fertility by men. But one can also cite the considerable anxiety caused by women's sexuality - how is it to be held in check, both legally and ideologically? You could even say that the 'sexual liberation' since the 50s has actually increased the anxiety and obsession. So on the one hand, you have the demand, get your tits out, and on the other hand the fear and loathing of an unconstrained female body.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Except that some of the information you seem to think is critical is actually irrelevant. Your claim that the identity and number of sex partners ("whom you want") is just as important as frequency of intercourse ("whenever you want") when assessing the chance of unplanned pregnancy seems of that nature. As I've stated before, if you know the latter the former is largely irrelevant if your interest is in shaping public policy to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Your focus on taking some kind of sexual census seems prurient, creepy, and about as relevant to questions of pregnancy as assessing the religious affiliation of sex partners.

I have no idea why you speak of a "sexual census". Frankly, I don't even know what that is supposed to mean, a questionnaire about one's sexual practices? Anyway, this certainly wasn't "my focus". I neither mentioned nor implicated it. Stop putting words in my mouth for rhetorical effect.

What I did say is that if you want to screw around freely (whenever you want, with whom you want) but with no unwanted pregnancies resulting, then you need contraception. That's a fairly uncontroversial statement, I would say. The "whenever" may be enough to give you an inkling about the likely chance of pregnancy, but the "with whom" usually is a key factor concerning the question whether the pregnancy is unwanted. If you fancy shagging someone, but do not fancy having their child, then what do you do? Exactly, you use contraception. This is a different question to how often you want to shag them. I hope I don't need to belabour the point any further. The statement I made is straightforward and as such does not really take any sides. What you are making out of it says more about the state of your mind than mine.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In particular, it will mean women returning to a general attitude of careful selectivity and exclusivity concerning their male sexual partners. As for men, it will likely mean a considerable reduction in their overall sexual activity. In general, it will be advisable to have sex with someone only if you believe that they will be a parent to the potential child.

Oh yeah. Right. That'll happen. That's what people did in the olden days, and we could/should just go back to that. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

[ 29. May 2015, 16:31: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
What I did say is that if you want to screw around freely (whenever you want, with whom you want) but with no unwanted pregnancies resulting, then you need contraception. That's a fairly uncontroversial statement, I would say. The "whenever" may be enough to give you an inkling about the likely chance of pregnancy, but the "with whom" usually is a key factor concerning the question whether the pregnancy is unwanted. If you fancy shagging someone, but do not fancy having their child, then what do you do? Exactly, you use contraception. This is a different question to how often you want to shag them. I hope I don't need to belabour the point any further. The statement I made is straightforward and as such does not really take any sides. What you are making out of it says more about the state of your mind than mine.

So how are you going to deal with the 10% failure rate of contraception? That's either 66% or 57% of the 180,000 odd terminations in the UK in 2013. Whichever research you take that's over 100,000 unwanted babies in the UK not born in 2013.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

A huge proportion of terminations are carried out on women in relationships, often with younger children. 53% of the terminations carried out in the UK were on women who had already had a live birth or stillbirth, 51% of the women were single with a partner and 16% were married - that's a total of 67% in a relationship. (from the text of the 2013 report and table 3a)

Are you really suggesting that married couples return to the days of no sexual congress when their family is complete?

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
The "whenever" may be enough to give you an inkling about the likely chance of pregnancy, but the "with whom" usually is a key factor concerning the question whether the pregnancy is unwanted.

I'm pretty sure a pregnancy is actually much more likely to be wanted if it results from having sex "with whom you want" than from sex with someone a woman doesn't want to have sex with; the exact opposite of your assertion.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016