homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Fijians say sorry to eaten Briton's family
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I don't deal in euphemisms very much, which may be why people frequently turn red and abruptly walk away from me.
terce
Shipmate
# 966

- Posted      Profile for terce   Author's homepage   Email terce   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<BOREDOM WARNING FOR RUGBY HATERS>
I was at the game! It was a pretty scrappy affair (lots of dropped balls [Big Grin] ) but the end really more than made up for it!

The US team was unable to get the last-second try (not just last-minute!) under the goal, and were forced to the side, where they scored. I looked up, & the clock said 80 minutes even.

It was a very difficult conversion ... Hercus tried hard ...

Hey, the Americans played better than I thought they would!

The crowd was behind Fiji all the way, though ...

</BOREDOM WARNING FOR RUGBY HATERS>

--------------------
Visit Mustard Bush Faith Community online: www.musbush.ucaqld.com.au

Posts: 145 | From: 27 28 S, 153 02 E | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not that we hate rugby, it's just that (1) we don't understand it, and (2) have little opportunity of watching it. Speaking just for myself of course.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I'd rather eat someone than watch rugby.

(Notice how neatly and unobtrusively I got this thread back on track?)

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not unobtrusively enough, Grits. There are too many vegetables and not enough long pork to justify keeping this thread open much longer.

It's dying soon (like.tomorrow?)

And if that's a hellhost pronouncement (which it is), may I say as a shipmate that I still have my pony tail and that any of you who cut yours off have sold out to The Man?

Discuss.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grooming is a personal matter and not necessarily indicative of anything greater.

--------------------

The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Finally here are some Fijian Rugby fans, making the traditional "loser gets eaten" sign.

Oh please let me lose!
Is this the time to point out there are gay rugby teams and leagues around?

There is one such team in Seattle that would like to make it to the next Gay Games. One of their former players has proposed raising money to get there by auctioning their used jock straps on E-Bay.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by terce:

I was at the game!

I watched it live on TV here in the Kong. Excellent, though crass, commentary from a couple of Aussie blokes incongruously shoved into suits and shaved between the eyes for the occasion.

e.g.

[as a Fijian casually smacks an American in the teeth about 40m away from the ball]

Commentator 1:"Oh, a bit of rough and tumble there!"

Commentator 2: "That's all right, it's a man's game! The yank'll be right in a minute, you'll see."

[or when the Fijians get a scrum moving]

Commentators 1 and 2, chanting in unison: "Su-mo! Su-mo! Su-mo! Haw! Haw! Haw!" (they collapse into helpless guffaws at their own wit.)

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The same two guys did also did an excellent job on the Italy game. Like when a try was disputed:

quote:
"The Italians are waving their arms around! Haw! Haw! Haw! Haw!"
Well, that's what Italians do, gentlemen. Now if some Fijians had been waving some Italian arms around, then this thread would have been back on track.

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
may I say as a shipmate that I still have my pony tail and that any of you who cut yours off have sold out to The Man?

tomb, it was quite stressful to see all my hair lying on the floor of the salon. But young hair around a middle-aged face just doesn't work. There comes a time when you have to let go. Otherwise you just look silly.

You can do it. I know you can. There's probably a support group out there somewhere for aging hippies who want to update their look.

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
Finally here are some Fijian Rugby fans, making the traditional "loser gets eaten" sign.

Oh please let me lose!
Uh, Sign? I don't *think* the Fijians mean to eat people in the same sense as you might [Biased] [Big Grin]

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I like the one on the right. Although the one in the center with his mouth wide open isn't half bad.
Presleyterian
Shipmate
# 1915

- Posted      Profile for Presleyterian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They said it couldn't be done, but yes, indeed, I shall re-rail this thread. Bear with me.

For years I've been something of a rugger hugger and remember the other famous button worn by ruggers: RUGBY PLAYERS EAT THEIR DEAD. The derivation was the 1972 incident recounted in the book Alive. A plane carrying a rugby team from Uruguay crashed in a remote part of the Andes. The survivors lived for 72 days by eating the teammates who died in the crash.

There you have, it. Cannibalism and rugby all tied up in one neat package. Thank you, thank you very much. You're too kind.

[ 17. October 2003, 14:56: Message edited by: Presleyterian ]

Posts: 2450 | From: US | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Anyone want to talk about the Donner Party?
Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You just had to dredge up all my painful, repressed memories of the War of the Triple Alliance didn't you.
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Well, if it wasn't those painful, repressed memories, it would have been something else.

BTW, suckers, I'm off today and still in my pj's and bath robe. Hope you're having fun at work.

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

- Posted      Profile for Alt Wally     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pony tailian.
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Donner Party

When I went to Lake Tahoe, I make a sidetrip to Truckee to visit Donner Pass. I was shocked to learn that there are no wonderfully tacky souvenirs for Donner Pass. Just think of the marketing opportunities. Who wouldn't just love a t-shirt that said "I ate my date at Donner Pass"?

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peppone:
quote:
"The Italians are waving their arms around! Haw! Haw! Haw! Haw!"

How did Jack Chick get involved with this? [Eek!]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:
Who wouldn't just love a t-shirt that said "I ate my date at Donner Pass"?

I'm thinking it doesn't reflect well on us that we can have a thread on cannibalism that goes four pages.

I thought this was supposed to be a Christian web site.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm thinking it doesn't reflect well on us that we can have a thread on cannibalism that goes four pages.

Are you saying we have poor taste?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Either that, or we all like the other white meat.
Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eanswyth:
Re: Donner Party

When I went to Lake Tahoe, I make a sidetrip to Truckee to visit Donner Pass. I was shocked to learn that there are no wonderfully tacky souvenirs for Donner Pass. Just think of the marketing opportunities. Who wouldn't just love a t-shirt that said "I ate my date at Donner Pass"?

You just went to the wrong state. If you want tacky, go to Colorado and visit
Colorado's Cannibal Trail

[ 18. October 2003, 08:09: Message edited by: Hinematov ]

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

This is so sick. I love it.

Yum yum.

Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then Google "Alferd Packer". You're in for a heap of fun.

The article didn't mention the motto of the grill is Serving Our Fellow Man Since 1847

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

You're right.

quote:
In the state of Colorado
In the year of seventy-four
They crossed the San Juan Mountains
Growing hungry to the core.
Their guide was Alferd Packer
And they trusted him too long:
For his character was weak
And his appetite was strong.

They called him a murderer, a cannibal, a thief;
It just doesn't pay to eat anything but Government-inspected beef.
<snip>
Eighteen years he stayed in jail,
It was a dreadful fate,
For he suffered indigestion
Every time he ate.
Still, it's hard to blame this hungry guy
Who went searchin' for the mines,
For when he ate his friends
He'd never heard of Duncan Hines.

Link to the whole words and the events behind the ballad.

{Edited for copyright and added in link to whole ballard. Sine you really should know better.}

[ 18. October 2003, 17:33: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try Eddie Gein. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine I am assuming that the song is an old folk song written before 1923. Am I correct?

Nightlamp
Hellhost

[ 18. October 2003, 13:26: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Akshually, I don't think so. Probably ought to kill it.

Sorry.

Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

It was written by legendary folkie, Phil Ochs.
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
at one time, don't know if it still exists, there was a conservation organization named after aferd packer too. their motto was "take a land developer to lunch."

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Sine you really should know better.
Yeah, well ain't that the story of my life.

Yours in Christ,
Brother Rugburn

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ya know, if this missionary had been circum cised, there would have been just that much less for those Fijians to eat.

[ 22. October 2003, 00:39: Message edited by: Mousethief ]

--------------------

Alt Wally

Cardinal Ximinez
# 3245

Mousethief, you've been moving pretty fast. Stop a second and look behind you. Do you see that invisible boundary?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016