homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: The Ungorgiveable Sin (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: The Ungorgiveable Sin
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
Zealot en vacance: very gunny!
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the otherwise generally helpful Mr PL:

The cleaning up after dinner does include putting the leftovers away and wiping the counter tops.

Don't expect me to intuit when we're out of sugar. You're the only one who uses it.

We have a coat closet and hangers, and they're not the back of kitchen chairs.

No, you won't "need it someday". Throw that broken thing away.

Now, about those magazine, newspapers, and piles of mail on the kitchen table... hmmm....getting closer to home here. Perhaps I'll stop now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

What's on your unforgiveable sin list?

Mine are more outside the home (being a messy, untidy sort of individual when inside it).

Public Nose-Blowing
Go into a toilet cubicle or away from the rest of us and wrestle with your nasal-slime there where we don't have to hear it.

Apostrophe (and other grammar) Basterdisation in Signage and Printed Matter
If you are a sign-writer or are publishing a piece of publicity or other written matter, try copychecking it first. What makes you think that "CD's" or "DVD's" or "This is it's best feature..." is correct? Have you no braincells that you cannot grasp the simplest of grammatical rules, and do you not care that when you pay for signs or copies of this imbecility of yours that it is simply an advert for your own vacuous incompetence?

Big Kids in Buggies/Pushchairs
Your child is over 12-18 months old, so why can't it walk? Why do you have to hack my ankles up with its buggy and take up floorspace in small shops just because you are too lazy to plan your day's shopping around a child's ability to walk? Why don't you feel guilty about shoving your child around facing away from you, just at cigarette and car-exhaust height? Why do you think that shoving said pushchair out into the raod in manner of a battering-ram is a sensible way to parent your child? Why are you so happy to allow the slumped posture in a buggy to set your child up for back-pain and similar problems later in life? Why are you so happy to train a child into a lazy, lumpen lifestyle that will contribute to their own obesity as well as to the desecration of the environment when this training flowers into their having to go everywhere by car rather than actually WALK? Why does the whole shopping-centre have to listen to your child scream to be let out of their pushchair? Why do you wonder why your child's vocabulary and maturity level are so infantilised when its presence in a buggy means that people address it as a baby rather than as a child of its age?

I'll stop now, before I get really into the rant!

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
comet said: ... they seem incapable of disgust.

Lordy, how true that is. Anyone who has met my family knows that I am not really married, I am the single mother of two boys.

They decided one day that the best way to scrub bird poop off the truck was to use the kitchen sponge. Thank goodness I saw them doing it, because they deposited it back in the sink when they were done. Didn't even rinse it. Not that it would have helped at that point. Their response: "Whut?"

The sock thing is exacerbated by the dog (also a male) who finds them utterly delicious when soaked in manly foot juices.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On second thought, I probably contributed to the dog's taste for socks. When he was young, I tried to train him to retrieve those socks and put them in a basket, so that I wouldn't have to touch them. (I know: latex gloves are your friend) Anyway, he got very good at the first part: finding them and retrieving them. He can't seem to remember to put them in the basket, though. He brings them to me, expecting a treat.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bertha Rochester
Apprentice
# 12094

- Posted      Profile for Bertha Rochester   Email Bertha Rochester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sock thing!!! AND even if they (Male teenagers to whom I gave birth that is) put them in the linen basket they are inside out and screwed up.

Even rancid mushed up socks are better than people who use their fingers to make quotation marks when speaking!

Snap em off I say!

Posts: 12 | From: Derbyshire UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

Your child is over 12-18 months old, so why can't it walk?

Because 'it' has Spina Bifida.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
quote:

That's utterly different. I was talking about perfectle able to walk children for whom a buggy is not a necessity, but a middle-class luxury for parents.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
On second thought, I probably contributed to the dog's taste for socks. When he was young, I tried to train him to retrieve those socks and put them in a basket, so that I wouldn't have to touch them. (I know: latex gloves are your friend) Anyway, he got very good at the first part: finding them and retrieving them. He can't seem to remember to put them in the basket, though. He brings them to me, expecting a treat.

At least he got half of the idea - better than nothing?
[Biased]

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
quote:

That's utterly different. I was talking about perfectle able to walk children for whom a buggy is not a necessity, but a middle-class luxury for parents.
Not necessarily. Look at the legs on a child aged 12-18 months. See how short they are?

Now, look at your legs. See how long they are?

Now, walk 100 metres and count how many steps it takes for you. Watch child walk 100 metres and count how many steps it takes for the child. It's a lot lot more, isn't it?

Factor in, that the child needs lots more rest, because, unlike you, the child's body is growing and that takes lots of energy without having to tag along on long walks. You are not growing and you don't need to sit or sleep so often to re-charge your batteries.

And so, a child of 12-18 months who is on any sort of walking expedition that's longer than a Very Short Way, is going to conk out after a Very Short Way and needs to be rolled along. The alternative is to carry the child (which you often see) or to leave the child at home. Neither of those is fun, nor should it have to be done.

If you should ever have a child, I dare you to make it walk everywhere.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmot! I am in awe! I want to train my dog to pick up the socks. that is AWESOME. I dont care if he throws them in the fire, if I dont have to touch them - right arm.
quote:
Originally posted by Liverpool fan:
People who walk in front of the TV screen when something interesting is happening in a game (an attack, free kick outside the box, penalty [Mad] )

Daddy?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
]Not necessarily. Look at the legs on a child aged 12-18 months. See how short they are?

Now, walk 100 metres and count how many steps it takes for you. Watch child walk 100 metres and count how many steps it takes for the child. It's a lot lot more, isn't it?

Factor in, that the child needs lots more rest, because, unlike you, the child's body is growing and that takes lots of energy without having to tag along on long walks. You are not growing and you don't need to sit or sleep so often to re-charge your batteries.

And so, a child of 12-18 months who is on any sort of walking expedition that's longer than a Very Short Way, is going to conk out after a Very Short Way and needs to be rolled along. The alternative is to carry the child (which you often see) or to leave the child at home. Neither of those is fun, nor should it have to be done.

Where I lives when I was tiny, it was just over 4 miles to the nearest shop. My parents never used a buggy to take me there, nor did we ever have one when out shopping. I had walking-reins until I was 3ish, then my mum or dad held my hand.
Not once did we have to stop and rest, or did my parents have to carry me.
I was tiny and sickly. Why shouldn't a healthy kid be able to walk?
i also should have apologiesed to Birdie & any others - I should have included something about meaning kids for whom walking isn't hampered by physical/neurological factors.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Marmot! I am in awe! I want to train my dog to pick up the socks. that is AWESOME. I dont care if he throws them in the fire, if I dont have to touch them - right arm.
quote:
Originally posted by Liverpool fan:
People who walk in front of the TV screen when something interesting is happening in a game (an attack, free kick outside the box, penalty [Mad] )

Daddy?
No! My daddy, dammit.

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
]Not necessarily. Look at the legs on a child aged 12-18 months. See how short they are?

Where I lives when I was tiny, it was just over 4 miles to the nearest shop. My parents never used a buggy to take me there, nor did we ever have one when out shopping. I had walking-reins until I was 3ish, then my mum or dad held my hand.
Not once did we have to stop and rest, or did my parents have to carry me.
I was tiny and sickly. Why shouldn't a healthy kid be able to walk?

Gosh, I can't remember anything back beyond the age of about 4. I wish I could being 12 months old and what my parents did or didn't do.

Seriously LND, you might want to go easy on parents. It's a tough job and very easy to criticise until you've done it. I, myself, was very good at pointing out how parents do it all wrong (not to their faces of course) before I'd had my own children.

It's one of those jobs that you think is easy.. But then you find youself looking at you darling, sweet, loveable, intelligent, strong child and s/he is lying face down on the floor in the supermarket, kicking and screaming and swearing because s/he can't have a big packet of sweets and realising that the job sucks.

Try telling that child to walk home.

I shall desist from this line from this point on, because I might become Hellish.

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

i also should have apologiesed to Birdie & any others - I should have included something about meaning kids for whom walking isn't hampered by physical/neurological factors.

Thank you.

I do think you might have to bump the ages you're talking about up to maybe 2 and a half to 3* though. Plenty of kids still aren't walking at 18 months. Baby b is two at Christmas and not yet walking, and we have only in the last month or so started saying he's been 'late' to walk.

Bearing in mind also that learning to walk at, say, 20 months, might not mean 'proficient at walking in crowded public spaces' until several months after that, and being in a buggy (or at least having a buggy along in case it's needed) at about three years is not unreasonable.

*Or indeed even older than that in some cases. They're all different, in so many ways.

[ 09. December 2006, 20:16: Message edited by: birdie ]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apostrophe (and other grammar) Basterdisation in Signage and Printed Matter

It's actually Bastardisation

quote:
Your child is over 12-18 months old, so why can't it walk? Why do you have to hack my ankles up with its buggy and take up floorspace in small shops just because you are too lazy to plan your day's shopping around a child's ability to walk? [/QB]

Having had to push my 14 year old around in a wheelchair and reteach her to walk a couple of years later when she'd recovered, but had to rebuild the stamina and muscle strength, I would beef about the shops that don't provide aisle space to allow for buggies or wheelchairs, the cars that park on the drop kerbs and the people who stop dead in front of you and get all offended when you hack them in the ankles/shins because it's actually very difficult to stop a moving wheelchair with a heavy child in it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
<snip> ... then you find youself looking at you darling, sweet, loveable, intelligent, strong child and s/he is lying face down on the floor in the supermarket, kicking and screaming and swearing because s/he can't have a big packet of sweets and realising that the job sucks

One of the gorgeous zaplettes, the most placid of the six, did that once - in aisle three of a Melbourne supermarket. X-Ms Zapp suddenly found ten minutes of terribly important shopping to do in aisle five. [Big Grin] The Melbourne public politely stepped arouind the explosion of frenetic tantranium and kept on shopping. Eventually, when the half lives of the tanty were all spent and a mega-tanty turned into placid sobs zapplette's mother returned from aisle five, collected a sniffiffiffling child, paid for the groceries and went home.

The Department of Neglected Children are still searching [Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luvanddaisies? You've got a call to Hell, sweetums!

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should think so.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bathroom door at work slams and I hate it when people do that without trying to close it properly. I also hate it when the cats bypass their litter box and poop on the floor ( I have no idea which of the four is doing this).

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful_Dreamer:
The bathroom door at work slams and I hate it when people do that without trying to close it properly. I also hate it when the cats bypass their litter box and poop on the floor ( I have no idea which of the four is doing this).

I have two cats that do the same at times even though they access to the garden through their own special door. Just as well the floor is tiled. The other Mr GOG, after 26 years of 'marriage' still thinks the dish and clothes washers are self loading and unloading. I will leave the washing up in the sink that doesn't go in the dish washer as I usually work a 12 hour day while he sits on his now rather fat rear at the computer. However, I usually end up doing it as I when I can stand looking at the mess no longer only to be told "I was just about to do it". NOT BLOODY likely. Now, having said all that I feel much better!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mm. LatA the child with sweeties... did you have something like this in mind?
[Biased]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

Yes, that's my child. It must be the long-lost one, but he's definitely mine.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gay Organ Grinder:
Now, having said all that I feel much better!!

This thread is therapeutic, isn't it?
[Big Grin]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew a parent whose response to a child lying screaming on the floor in a supermarket was to do the same. The child stopped very fast and a reminder was enough whenever a similar moment came along. Telling that story did wonders for my child control because there was a reasonable chance I'd be prepared to use the same technique.

And what about the teenagers who are very proud of their ability to cook, but don't clear up after themselves?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
I work in an open area, and so have to set very strict boundaries with my co-workers as to when I may and may not be interrupted. High on my list of * "ungorgivable" sins is said co-workers standing at my desk while I'm on the phone. Most people will see I am otherwise engaged, then toddle off and check back in a few minutes. Others, however, settle in happily for the duration, listening to me with great interest as I try to, say, work on a safety plan with a client who's being abused. Much fun.

People who come up to my desk at work while I am grabbing a quick sandwich at my desk and interrupting me about unimportant stuff when I'm eating. What is it with this, can't you give me just five minutes to eat my lunch in peace and quiet? And you don't even apologise, just stand there wittering about nothing while my stomach is grumbling (I'm ravenous by lunchtime).

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unforgivable sins at work include regularly leaving discarded teabags in the kitchen sink and blocking the plughole, instead of putting them in the bin right next to it.
Scooby-Doo
Shipmate
# 9822

- Posted      Profile for Scooby-Doo   Email Scooby-Doo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People who push advertising leaflets through my letterbox despite the fact that I have a large notice on the door asking them not to. I frequently chase after the leafleteer and get annoyed with them.

The same sign also says that I don't want salesmen calling. They still ring the bell sometimes with the excuse that they are doing a survey and are not actually selling anything.

Charity shops who deliver large plastic bags for filling with clothes, books and/or bric-a-brack, then never come back to collect them.

--------------------
Friendships multiply joy and divide grief.

[URL=http://https://[/URL]

Posts: 1036 | From: Dorset | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another ungorgiveable sin occurred to me this afternoon in the book fair when I discovered that there is another Artemis Fowl book that was published this year and that I hadn't heard about.

This sin was obviously committed by several people on this board who clearly must have known about it but deliberately didn't tell me!

You know who you are!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP is a fun idea, and why shouldn't we spend Heaven rejoicing in the Dread Ful Things we don't do?

But if this thread were to become a whinging "Today I Consign to Hell" thread, well, that would be Unforgiveable [sic] and it would be treated accordingly.

AdamPater
Heavenly Host

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cracking knuckles, can't stand other people doing it - but luxioriate in the process of doing so myself from time to time [Big Grin]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All my fellow right-thinking beings will of course answer the following situation correctly:

There's a bag of chips on the counter, the bag is at least half-full and folded adequately to preserve freshness. Of course there is a spare bag in the pantry; we all like these and we don't want to run out. You want some chips. Do you (a) grab a handful from the bag on the counter, re-folding & securing the bag for later, or (b) get the virgin never-before-opened bag from the pantry, open and eat a few?

The answer is (a) dammit!

Except when one is at one's in-law's house, in which case one might as welll chose the fizziest of the five partially used 2-liter bottles of diet coke sitting side by side on the pantry shelf, next to the three bottles of Sprite, next to .... [brick wall]

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
we are a shoe-free household, as is custom up here. the three males in my home seem to have some sort of congenital hot-foot problem, and they shed their socks also, usually within 15 minutes of coming indoors. but while they are trained to shed the shoes by the door in the kunnichuq, they then walk into the living room, kitchen, in front of the fire, etc, and peel off these revolting, smelly, foot holsters from hell.

And leave them there.

The sock thing drives me mad, Mr S has the habit of working his socks off as he watches TV so at some point they will be hanging off the end of his toes. From there they end up down the back of the cushions on the sofa where, until I learned to look there for errant socks, they would lie for weeks. (No, I don't go down the back of the sofa often - one of my "going straight to hell" faults)

Anyway, I wondered where the hell he had learned this from until I met his dad (who left home when Mr S was just a lad). I sat and watched them follow the same sock waggling routine in perfect harmony at opposite ends of the room.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I was in the presence of The Unforgiveable Sin a month or so ago.

It was the Conference Dinner in an Italian restaurant (in Italy, as it happened). Our table was 2 British, an American, a German and a Greek. It was furnished with two bottles of the local vino - one white, one red (both good - it was an excellent wine-growing area).

Starter comes, we hit the white. Greek calls for another bottle of white - and sends back the red*. Turns out that he doesn't have the concept of different wines with different courses. Now THAT - particularly in the context of an official dinner when, frankly, you don't know how liberal the booze may be, is unforgiveable.

*we got it back - improvising the sign language for 'Our colleague is an idiot, please ignore him'.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
auntie di

Ship's Magic Pudding
# 11521

- Posted      Profile for auntie di   Email auntie di   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
people who leave taps dripping

people who ask me questions before I have finished breakfast

people who finish the milk and do not replace it before I rise from my pit

people who moan "oh you're so grumpy in the morning" when they have transgressed rule 2. Yes, Dad, I am, I always have been, I'm 41 years old and you're expecting me to change?

anybody who gets between me and my cup of tea at break time

--------------------
auntie di

Posts: 586 | From: Staffordshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Rhetorical questions are ungorgiveable, too, aren't they? I mean does anyone ever really expect, want or receive an answer?

--------------------

AdamPater
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boring & Complaining != Heavenly
=> Hellwards

AdamPater
Heavenly Host

--------------------

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do the Hell hosts know about this?! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
# 4431

Shh... I'm flirting.

You are my Christmas present to RooK.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, who is most looking forward to my review of their idea of an unforgivable sin?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yeah, I'll pass on that.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure I'm old enought to hear RooK's most Ungorgivable Sin. [Help]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
# 4431

It was an Unforgiveable Sin that brought me to the Ship, but I never had the Grace to say "thank you".

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, is this where all the gluggy marshmallows get roasted on toasting gorks?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

RooK, Marvin, and Sarky - I really want to know what you three would consider unforgivable sins and what irritates the living shit out of you.

really, really lots.

Bonus Comet Points if you describe how you would like to deal with the offenders, if you didn't have to worry about pesky things like statutes of limitations and getting gore on your shoes.

--------------------

ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abba
Abba is the most unforgiveable sin.
Playing Abba is a direct cause of Hell.
Humming Abba tunes is Purgatorial.....
[Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Mad] [Snigger]

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaving the loo lid in the 'up' position is a pet hate of mine.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magnum mysterium:
Leaving the loo lid in the 'up' position is a pet hate of mine.

Then stop doing it, you fetid whiner. Or are you meaning to complain about the state in which you find the loo? If so, I assume that it's because you're too pathetic to alter the state of the lid or seat as desired. In which case, why the fuck should you care - because you probably use a catheter anyways.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
#1 Clothes all over the floor. A few years ago when the boys were smaller I had them bring in all their clothes to my room, and had them strip to their underwear. Then I sternly told them that they did not deserve to have clothes any more and that they could do very well without. After a moment of stunned reality set in, I informed them that they could earn their clothing back piece by piece by doing extra chores: dust a room, earn a shirt, etc. It all became a great family memory. Looking at their rooms now, I may have to institute drastic measures again!

#2 Doctors and nurses who call me Mom.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that I want to get in the way of RooK's beating the snot out of people, but even if I put the lid on the seat down, someone else has already flushed the toilet and spread their disgusting toilet germs all over the place.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016