homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Corpus Christi (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Corpus Christi
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My involvement in the low mass at SMVPH consisted of putting out the red chazzie and ringing the bell before I retired to the office to get on with my work. However, I enjoyed a far more exotic function this evening.

The church in my village had advertised a Corpus Christi Mass, and I had volunteered to ring for this. Five minutes before the service started their head server appeared and signaled to me with thurible swinging gestures. Having called the bells into rounds I made my way to the opposite end of the church. Thus began an evening of firsts for me. These included first time in a cassock alb, first time serving in trainers [Eek!] first time as thurifer in the wrong place in the procession and first time in a procession of the sacrament. Dr Dearmer's ashes would be spinning in their grave! [Disappointed]

The order for the procession was very unusual: Taperers, or as I suspect they call them, acolytes, priest in chasuble with Host, thurifer, deacon. However, this is what the Rector wanted and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The service ended up with the Host being used for the final blessing held above the ciborium, which I suppose technically counted as benediction, but without the usual form of words.

To be fair it was the only Anglican church for miles around to keep the day in some style, and the service was neither over the top or fussy. They genuinely seemd to appreciate the large quantities of smoke as well in a parish where some care normally has to be exercised over such things.

I will of course be seeking absolution from the first priest I come across in old English surplice and blue stole....... [Roll Eyes]

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was intrigued on driving past a local evangelical church to see a Choral Eucharist for Corpus Christi advertised for this evening, so I couldn't resist a visit. I thought it was very optimistic of such a parish to expect any congregation at all, but there was a scattering of people in the pews and far more in the choir. Priest in cassock-alb and stole; holy table devoid of candles; standard CW liturgy (used I have to say fairly unimaginatively); Latin mass setting (Haydn); the sermon would not have raised any memorialist eyebrows but it was a bit short on oomph.

Probably not your average evangelical liturgy, indeed it is difficult to categorise it. But it was encouraging to see that the feast is being taken more seriously across the whole of the C of E and not just the tat-queen end of the anglo-catholic movement.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Corpus Christi at CCSL last night was celebrated in proper catholic fashion with Solemn Mass (Missa Pange lingua of Josquin -credo excepted which was Merbecke) Byrd Ave verum Corpus and Sweet Sacrament Divine ( a proper RC golden oldie that one). Then procession around the church (pitch dark, bloody freezing outside) while we sang Lauda Sion followed by Pange lingua, finishing with Benediction. There were probably 60 in the congregation, 3 clergy , MC, thurifer, boat and 4 servers, none of that Eyetalian flowery stuff and (very properly) no canopy-and 22 choristers. It was a wonderful celebration, and a great treat to have it coincide with my birthday. There were at least 3 fellow-Romans in the congo, from St Frank's and a Jesuit scholastic who enjoyed it hugely. Then off to meet Sponsa in a local pub.

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church of Ireland does not, of course, have any truck with 'Corpus Christi' or such Popish nonsense.

This leaves it an open question why the hymns for the coming Sunday include 'Sing my tongue the Body telling', 'Thou who at His Eucharist did pray' and a setting of the 'Ave Verum Corpus'. I'm imagining that the Propers will be for Trinity I, but we shall see.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarum Sleuth:
My involvement in the low mass at SMVPH consisted of putting out the red chazzie and ringing the bell before I retired to the office to get on with my work. However, I enjoyed a far more exotic function this evening.

The church in my village had advertised a Corpus Christi Mass, and I had volunteered to ring for this. .

However, this is what the Rector wanted and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The service ended up with the Host being used for the final blessing held above the ciborium, which I suppose technically counted as benediction, but without the usual form of words.

I will of course be seeking absolution from the first priest I come across in old English surplice and blue stole....... [Roll Eyes]

SS

What a kind generous posting SS! Sounds fun.

(Why red for Corpus Christi and not white by the way at your church?)

Posts: 3237 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
it was encouraging to see that the feast is being taken more seriously across the whole of the C of E and not just the tat-queen end of the anglo-catholic movement.

Indeed - and Corpus Christi is not JUST about the blessed sacrament. It is about the Church as Christ's body and also about suffering humanity.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Laetare
Why red for Corpus Christi and not white by the way at your church?)

Red was frequently used for Corpus Christi (and Maundy Thursday) in mediaeval England. When the feast was revived at SMVPH in the 1920s red was used and we have stuck with it ever since. We use the best red frontal on Maundy Thursday as well. Westminster Abbey also used red for Corpus Christi initially: I have no idea what they do now. After all, we couldn't be seen to be doing the same as the Romans! [Biased]

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In some Italian cities, Corpus Christi took a mixture of both red AND white - so I'm afraid that, short of switching to green or something, you are quite literally going to be following at least some Romans!

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the procession yesterday evening at my shack the book of the Gospels was carried alongside the Blessed Sacrament under the canopy. Apparently this is an ancient tradition that fell into disuse. The homily pointed out that Christ is present in Sacrament, Word and in His people.

Anyone come across this form of procession?

Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

Originally posted by dj_ordinaire
In some Italian cities, Corpus Christi took a mixture of both red AND white

As did Exeter. I am perfectly relaxed about the Romans following English practice. As for Corpus Christi in green, I have witnessed this with my own eyes at St Barnabas Oxford a couple of years back!

SS [Razz]

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarum Sleuth:

If you can make it to S Percy-the-Less this Sunday you'll find both in evidence! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

- Posted      Profile for Eddy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Saint Chad on his track.

Why blue on this coming Sunday - or is that the only colour used. [Biased]

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laetare:
[Killing me]

Saint Chad on his track.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it's a very ancient tradition, pre-dating Sarum, on the Feast Corpus et Sanguinis Christi the Body and Blood of Christ signifying the fact that, being of the Royal House of David, our Lord's Blood would have been blue!

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Yes, thats right Saint Chad blue for everything
[Killing me]

Don't forget the Precious (Blue) Blood thread as well, mate.

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Chad:
Actually, it's a very ancient tradition, pre-dating Sarum, on the Feast Corpus et Sanguinis Christi the Body and Blood of Christ signifying the fact that, being of the Royal House of David, our Lord's Blood would have been blue!

But I thought the Sarum use predated the feast of Corpus Christi.

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my report on the Corpus Christi solemn eucharist at a cozy and friendly little church (highest-up-the-candle in the ATL i think) to which i go to at times because they celebrate big midweek festivals like Ascension and Corpus Christi. A friend of mine regularly does the sub-deacon role there (that may be the only church in ATL that has subdeacons) and i know the rector also, so I wouldnt be a mystery worshipper to them.

And yes, i saw the thurifer do at least one 360. That has to be an Anglo-Catholic thing, right? I've never seen it an RC church, nor any other TEC place (including Smoky Mary's, tho i could have missed seeing it) Truth be told, it could seem a little showy, though on the other hand, "having a good time in the Lord" is often part of the traditional worship ethos of African-American worship in my experience, and why cant the thurifer have a little fun -- after all David did, dancing before the ark.

It was like other high masses i've been to there -- the last being last Ascension Thursday (i've yet to go to a Sunday mass, but i've also been to a few weekday low masses). Clouds of incense and, for all you bell-lovers out there, chiming (not jingling) bells. The cast included the priest, the subdeacon, the acolyte/thurifer who wore a black cassock and a very Roman looking lace cotta, (my 1st sighting of a cotta in a non-Roman church as far as I remember), a choir of 7 (6 men), and perhaps 15-20 in the congregation, most of whom i remember seeing previously.

The liturgy, in a leaflet for the particular service, was BCP '79 Rite 1 with bits and pieces added from the Roman missal (but thee'd and thou'd, so actually problably one of the Anglican missals). I don't think they ever do rite 2 there (which will make some shipmates happy). And they have the bishop's okey-dokey to do their 8AM Sunday low mass from the 1928 BCP.

There were several hymns from the Eucharist section of the Hymnal 1982, plus "At the Lambs High Feast" as the processional hymn, which, tho not the most exciting hymn in the world, has words that were very appropriate for the feast, I thought. The congregation also joins in the chanting of the Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, Offeratory and Communion verses, in somewhat complicatedly notated unaccompanied plainsong in English, and they do so with considerable (basically on-tune) volume. (This was a weekday celebration and i imagine most of the congo were regulars.)

The choice of what to chant and what to speak seemed a bit idiosyncratic. Most of the collect-type prayers were spoken, including prayer over the gifts and postcommunion, but the collect of the day was chanted. The gospel was chanted, again i'll bet the only place in Atlanta, Anglican or Roman, that does this. The litany for the Prayers of the People was chanted, and preceded by a spoken list of biddings and intentions, which made sense, but the priest's concluding collect after the chanted litany was spoken, which to me didnt make sense.

The chanter of the petitions came out to the middle of the church to the same area from which the gospel had been proclaimed. I've never seen this before but i like the idea as a reflection of it being the "Prayers of the People" as it says in the liturgy.

The little bits added from the missal (in addition to the above-mentioned prayer over the gifts and postcommunion) included the "Pray, brethren" at the offeratory, and the prayer "Deliver us" after the Lord's Prayer.

This latter was done in what i thought was an odd way. Typical Anglican use of course is just to say or sing the Lord's Prayer and include the doxology ("For thine is .. ). If i am not mistaken, typical Roman use is -- in the extraordinary rite -- to say or sing the Lord's Prayer without the doxology, and then go to the "Deliver us" prayer which naturally follows on from "and deliver us from evil". Same in the Novus Ordo, except at the end of the "deliver us" prayer, the doxology "for the kingdom ... " is added. All 3 of the above ways make sense. What they did at the liturgy in question however, was to sing the Lord's Prayer plus doxology and amen. Then the "deliver us" prayer was just tacked on afterwards, spoken, and with no kind of response. That seemed a tad clunky to me.

But i always like going there. It makes me feel glad to be a Christian for sure. I love my regular parish, and i think i was led to my current parish for a reason, but, as i say, i also like to pop in this church from time to time. Liturgy-wise, I really am more a Rite 2 person on a regular basis, and i prefer more inclusive language in worship at least on a regular basis (tho not to inartful extremes), but it's also a warm church and it's good to be exposed to more currents and not be in a rut, eh?

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:
[Killing me]

Saint Chad on his track.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Thurible

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Malik3000 what a great desciption, and so kind of you to describe in detail. It came across as friendly and cosy in a good meaning of that word, and enjoyable and rich too.

I guess quite a few people seek out a different church for special festivals.

You only mentioned one hymn by name.

That set me wondering what hymns people have had at Corpus Christi celebrations this year. In particular what is sung in the procession...

PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used red for Corpus Christi here. We also use red for Passion-tide, though not yet for Maundy Thursday. Next year - promise!

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At Ascension, Chicago:

• Entrance: God himself is with us (Tysk)
  • Sequence: Zion, praise thy Savior, singing (Lauda Sion Salvatorem)
  • Offertory: Lord, enthroned in heavenly splendor (St. Osmund)
  • Communion: Bread of the world, in mercy broken (Rendez a Dieu)
  • O salutaris: O saving Victim, opening wide (Martyr Dei)
  • Procession: Hail, thou once despised Jesus! (In Babilone)
  • Tantum ergo: Therefore we, before him bending (Tantum ergo)

[ 12. June 2009, 21:28: Message edited by: Oblatus ]

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Thats a nice selection of hymns, but I'd miss Sweet Sacrament Divine

I wonder what other Corpus Christi hymns have had an airing this year or are on the favourites list [Smile]

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've rather belatedly researched Daily Office propers for the eve, morning, and evening of Corpus Christi, as these are not provided in our BCP 1979, and found this information in the lectionary documents of St. Mary the Virgin in NYC.
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

I checked out that link Oblatus, it seemed to go to your blog then the SMV link on the blog didn't work [Frown]

We are keeping CC today as well [Smile] Nice sunny day for it, here in England.

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my Somerset Church:

Pre-Mass Worship
Charlie Hall - Centre
Matt Redman - You alone can rescue (Giver of Life)
Max. - As we prepare the table
Entrance Song: Marty Haugan - Gather us in
Gloria: Anderson - Gloria
Psalm:Max. - This cup of blessing which we share, is it not a sharing of the Blood of Christ?
Gospel Acclamation Sing Alleluia to the Lord
Offertory: Toolan - I am the bread of life
Sanctus/Memorial/Agnus Dei: Marty Haugan - Mass of Creation
Communion Song 1:Servants of the Word - Seek the Lord
Communion Song 2:Soul of my Saviour
Exit Song:
Matt Maher - Adoration
Chris Tomlin - Forever

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I checked out that link Oblatus, it seemed to go to your blog then the SMV link on the blog didn't work [Frown]

We are keeping CC today as well [Smile] Nice sunny day for it, here in England.

Here's the link to St. Mary the Virgin. They do a good office page, but [to my chagrin] they insist on RSV. I'm not opposed to RSV, but I've made the mental switchover to NRSV and I prefer to stay with one version.

As for Martin's Church, it was technically the Second Sunday after Pentecost, but (as some may recall) my church seems to adhere to a strict one-change-of-paraments-a-month-maximum policy, so we still had our white stuff up from Holy Trinity. No worries--I just "offered it up" as Corpus Christi. [Cool]

[ 14. June 2009, 15:32: Message edited by: Martin L ]

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very nice, if restrained-CofE, Corpus Christi. White vestments on the celebrant and deacon. Very good sermon on the importance of the Unbloody Sacrifice and an ... encouragement to go to a weekday Mass.

Hymns were:

Lord, enthroned in heavenly splendour
O Thou who at Thy Eucharist didst pray
Sweet Sacrament Divine
All for Jesus!

Byrd's Ave Verum for the communion anthem and his Mass for Four Voices for the ordinary.

No procession or any other high jinks, which was a shame.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from the usual hymns (Lord Enthroned, O Thou Who at Thy First Eucharist etc etc) we had the MacMillan Westminster Mass with a sung -and accompanied- canon - Wow! Quite spectacular if challenging. Procession (inside) and Benediction - all very beautiful if very, very long.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:

Sorry about that, but I meant it to go to my blog where I had copied the psalm and lesson references for Corpus Christi, and the SMV links from there work for me.
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

I'm trying to remeber the hymns we had. Here is what I can remember. There was 'Jesus in thy dear sacrament,' 'Sweet Sacrament Divine,' Guide me O thou. There were more but those stuck in my mind.

We had an outdoor procession and Benediction, lovely weather, lovely mass [Smile]

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

We had two processions, one before the service, and one after.

Two bands, lots of flags and banners.

Glorious weather, wonderful service.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am told that the Rochester FiF Corpus Christi Procession etc. at Bickley was a Jolly Good Do, despite a rather low turnout (mind you, 8 went from our place, which was an excellent bit of flag-flying by our poor little parish!).

Other A-C churches in the diocese which had a Mass on the day itself report congregations of 50 or so, which I suppose is not too bad.

Did anyone go to All Saints, Margaret Street, and march along part of Oxford Street?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

quote:
We had two processions, one before the service, and one after.

Two bands, lots of flags and banners.

Glorious weather, wonderful service.

Were these Corpus Christi processions or just bands, flags and banners?

How come before and after 'the service'.

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

You posted earlier on the thread:
quote:
I've heard some places have a procession with a brass or other type of band. All outside with people dressed up. That sounds so cool.
I was replying, and saying that we had a pipe band and a brass band, which led the Mayor and Deputy Mayor in robes and full regalia, along with the uniformed organisations and the ex-service associations, all with their flags and standards, and the other civic dignitaries from the town hall to church for the service and back again afterwards.

So, we had bands, and people dressed up and it was very cool. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a Corpus Christi procession in Sinny ( this long-discontinued event was revived by ++George Sydneiensis 3 or 4 years ago) on Sunday last, a relatively short walk from St Pat's-in-the-Rocks to Sancta Maria Immaculata, followed by Solemn Benediction. It rained most of the afternoon so instead of outdoor Benediction, I understand the crowd of 5,000 (rather than the 10,000 hoped for) managed to squeeze into the Basilica for Benediction.

I suspect that it was attended mainly by the hardest of the hard core Sydney rockchoppers. At least this year Jensen minor didn't publicly express the hope that the good Lord would't send rain on to ++George's parade.

m

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

quote:
You posted earlier on the thread:
quote:
I've heard some places have a procession with a brass or other type of band. All outside with people dressed up. That sounds so cool.
I was replying, and saying that we had a pipe band and a brass band, which led the Mayor and Deputy Mayor in robes and full regalia, along with the uniformed organisations and the ex-service associations, all with their flags and standards, and the other civic dignitaries from the town hall to church for the service and back again afterwards.

So, we had bands, and people dressed up and it was very cool. [Big Grin]

Oh I see. Thanks for that Saint Chad. But no Blessed Sacrament in the procession. So not Corpus Christi.

PS Did you wear a blue stole?
[Biased]

The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Did anyone go to All Saints, Margaret Street, and march along part of Oxford Street?

Me!

No police escort meant we were restricted to the pavement and without Brass Band, which sadly impacted on the singing. ASMS is also absolutely covered in scaffolding.

Apparently the police wanted thousands of pounds to police the procession. If only we'd invited the Walsingham protestants along maybe they'd have done it for free...

It was however, still a jolly good do, despite my very British self-consciousness.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

quote:
...no Blessed Sacrament in the procession. So not Corpus Christi.

Good heavens, no. We kept that on the Thursday as Our Lord and his Blessèd Mother intended.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was it not Juliana von Luettich(Juliane de Liege) who suggested the date of Thursday after Trinity Sunday? This was after a vision which she had sometime in the 1240s.By 1264 Pope Urban IV,who had previously been Archdeacon of Liege extended the Feast ,first celebrated in Liege and then in Germany and the Netherlands ,to the whole of the Latin church.

Whilst I am sure that both Jesus and Mary were/are delighted about the Festival ,I am not sure what the earlier intentions of the BVM concerning the Feast were.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Was it not Juliana von Luettich(Juliane de Liege) who suggested the date of Thursday after Trinity Sunday? This was after a vision which she had sometime in the 1240s.By 1264 Pope Urban IV,who had previously been Archdeacon of Liege extended the Feast ,first celebrated in Liege and then in Germany and the Netherlands ,to the whole of the Latin church.

That's what I thought - and would it then have been Urban IV who commissioned Thomas Aquinas to write the liturgy for it?

--------------------

Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed it was Urban IV who commissioned Thomas of Aquin to compose texts for the feast of Corpus Christi.He is usually credited with the choice of Mass texts.Whether he composed the traditional collect for Corpus Christi, which is usually recited at Benediction,I don't know.He certainly composed the hymn 'Pange lingua gloriosi corporis mysterium' which is well known for the last two verses beginning Tantum ergo sacramentum and Genitori genitoque.

He was also responsible for the hymn 'Verbum supernum prodiens' again well known for the verses beginning 'O salutaris Hostia' and 'Uni trinoque Domino' Similarly he wrote 'Adoro te devote,latens Deitas ..(I adore you devotedly,hidden Godhead) and 'Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia' with the well known verses Panis angelicus fit panis hominum :
Dat panis caelicus figuris terminum
O res mirabilis,manducat Dominum
Pauper servus et humilis.

The Bread of Heaven is made into the Bread of Men
The Heavenly Bread puts an end to signs and shapes
What a wonderful thing ! the poor and humble man
is able to consume the Lord.

I haven't translated the Latin titles as they can be easily found by anyone interested .Many people will know the musical versions of these words of Panis angelicus,principally the version by Cesar Franck.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Patrick the less saintly
Shipmate
# 14355

- Posted      Profile for Patrick the less saintly   Email Patrick the less saintly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
quote:

Me!

No police escort meant we were restricted to the pavement and without Brass Band, which sadly impacted on the singing. ASMS is also absolutely covered in scaffolding.

Apparently the police wanted thousands of pounds to police the procession. If only we'd invited the Walsingham protestants along maybe they'd have done it for free...

It was however, still a jolly good do, despite my very British self-consciousness.

I was also there. The servers and Mothers' Union from All Saints, Notting Hill also joined in and the congregation of that parish substantially increased the number of children present. Altar boys rang hand bells whilst girls scattered rose petals (dreadful gender stereotyping, I know). The church bells also rang out continuously as the procession gathered, although the affect was somewhat monotonous as there are only two of them. There were fewer vested clergy than I have seen in pictures from previous years.

--------------------
'[Your religion consists of] antiquarian culturally refined pseudo-Anglicanism'— Triple Tiara

Posts: 1802 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Was this the Thursday evening at Margaret Street or is it on the Sunday.

What time do they process, I heard their festival dos of an evening are early.

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Apparently there has been fuss by RCs about a Corpus Christi procession in Austria.

There are photos here.

But for a closer look at the monstrance used: Have a look here.

Apparently Focaccia bread was used carried by a priest in what looks like a large pair of tongs, as the monstrance.

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

Dear God, can't these neo-con twitterers get a life?

So what if it were foccacia? It's wheaten bread, innit?

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

I think that it happened in a area of Austria where theres a lot of tension, so some folk went mad about it.

Others I guess cheered.

It is an unusual monstrance though - very modern!

Levavi
Shipmate
# 14371

- Posted      Profile for Levavi     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multipara:
Dear God, can't these neo-con twitterers get a life?

So what if it were foccacia? It's wheaten bread, innit?

m

Agreed, but it still looks pretty weird!
Eddy
Shipmate
# 3583

Forthview (I think) was helpfully saying on the discussion about the Preciouis Blood that commemoration of the Precious Blood is now in Catholic churches made at Corpus Christi. The proper name for the feast being Corpus and Sanguis Christi, the Body and Bllod of Christ.

While the name may be that, and I can understand the sense of it, it does make me wonder whtehr there has been any emphasis or talk about the precious blood at Corpus Christi feasts - in sermons or in the Holy Scrpitures.

I don't knowe any hymns that will pick up the theme of the precious blood that are sung at Corpus Christi.

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't knowe any hymns that will pick up the theme of the precious blood that are sung at Corpus Christi.

In the English language, there are many hymns that will do this, picking up for the lack in Latin. Of course, the may not all be doctrinally acceptable for every church.

Rock of ages
There is power in the blood
Oh the blood of Jesus
Who can wash away my sin?

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
In the English language, there are many hymns that will do this, picking up for the lack in Latin.

I'm slightly boggled at the idea that there are few such hymns in Latin. Surely there must be many? There are hundreds in English, probably thousands. Is adoration of the blood of Jesus such a Protestant thing?

As well as the ones you mentioned there are things like Cowper's rather stunning "There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel’s veins" or John Newton's less wonderful song about Cain and Abel("Thus Jesus fell - but O! his blood Far better things than Abel's cries")

Wesley's "And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Saviour's blood!" is one of the best-known of all English hymns though not all about blood. Neither is O for a thousand tongues to sing! but one refrain is "His blood availed for me!" One of the Wesley's translated Count Zinzendorf's "Jesus' blood and righteousness"

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross has "all the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to his blood... See, from his head, his hands, his feet, sorrow and love flow mingled down"

And from other writers we have "My hope is built on nothing less Than Jesus' blood and righteousness" and and "Glory! Glory! Thus I sing - Nothing but the blood of Jesus; All my praise for this I bring - Nothing but the blood of Jesus." and things like There is power in the Blood, Saved by the Blood, The Blood That Jesus Shed, Are you washed in the Blood, One drop of Blood, The Blood will never lose its power, and so on,

There is the famous minimalist music based on a tape recording of a tramp singing "Jesus blood never failed me yet"

And there is the anonymous or traditional song:

quote:

There is a fountain of Christ's blood
Wide open stretched for to drown our sins
Where Jesus stands with open arms
Of mercy to invite us in

His crown of thorns set on with scorn
He sold his pain his fleshly store
With ragged nails through hands and feet
They nailed our rich redeemer sweet

With a bloody spear they pierced his heart
And bruised his bleeding body sore
From every wound the blood ran down
The spring of life could bleed no more

When all his precious blood was spent
The thunder roared and the rocks did rent
The earth did quake and clouds did rumble
Which made hell shake and devils tremble

The sun and moon a-mourning went
The seas did roar and the temples rent
And the richness of Christ's precious blood
Did open graves and raise the dead

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016