homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ahh now cocoa features in a lot of our cooking.

I use cheap baking marge for cooking (Tesco/morrison own brand) and pure or preferably vitalite for spreading.

I've just made a batch of vegan scones - no egg and Tesco marge - and tbh I can't taste the difference.

I'd like to use oil more in baking but can't manage to get it to work, it always seems to turn out very greasy

[ 29. March 2008, 13:12: Message edited by: Suzywoozy ]

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about trying honey or treacle for some of the sugar as well as using vegetarian margarine and reduce the liquid. It will add flavour as well as sweetness.

Also check the margarine, the low fat ones (do they do this in dairy free) are not suitable for cooking. This is because they add lots of water to get the low fat!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A recipe with oil and no refined sugar that I use it all the time

You need:

2 cups apple purée
3/4 cup oil
1 egg
2 cups flour (SR or add baking powder - I usually put some - but not all - wholemeal)
Something to sweeten - I use honey
2 cups raisins
1 small packet walnuts, chopped

Put the raisins in a pan, cover with water, and simmer on a low heat so that they absorb the water. Drain if it's not completely absorbed, and let them cool down.

Put the oil, apple purée, egg and honey in a mixing bowl and beat them together. Fold in the flour (and baking powder if not using SR), and add the nuts and soaked raisins.

Put it in a tin and bake at 220° for about 40 mins.

It makes a lovely moist (and fairly healthy) cake.

Carrot cake is also usually made with oil, not butter.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Made a delicious (and reasonably healthy) dish last night. I followed this Jamie Oliver recipe with the addition of some onions, and served it with pan fried courgettes & mushrooms with crusty bread. It was really delicious.

He mentions left overs being good with pasta & I can imagine that. But if you cook the number of sausages per person you won't get leftovers. However, next time I make it I'll consider doubling quantities to make pasta sauce to freeze.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yum! I'm going to keep that recipe to use in the tomato glut in late summer (as long as the plants don't get Blight this year [Roll Eyes] )

I wouldn't expect to get leftovers at the 2 sausages per person the recipe gives either - I think I'll make that quantity for the two of us, then we should have enough for the pasta sauce. [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went a bit mad with the frozen food delivery service and have lots of frozen mackerel & sardine fillets. Does anyone have any suggestions as to good recipes?
I've done mackerel with creamy lentils (a surprising success) but most of the pleasant sounding sardine recipe I've found is fairly rude about frozen sardines...I've got one which is a Thai based recipe that sounds nice but that's it.

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was looking for a nice vegan cookie recipe, for no particular reason. I found a website which is blogging towards the launch of a vegan cookie cookbook.

I totally commend the pumpkin cookies to everyone. I made mine up with honey (not vegan) as I was out of maple syrup, and they were absolutely divine, both with and without the chocolate chunks.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay I got some bulk sausage which, when thawed, seemed really squishy. I am about to fry it and see how well it holds together, although I'm not expecting it to do well.

So assuming it doesn't, how does one repair it before frying? Knead in some flour? Egg? Flour and egg? Nylon netting?

Interested to hear if anybody else out there in the Ship's Galley has any handy tips for this problem.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Okay I got some bulk sausage which, when thawed, seemed really squishy. I am about to fry it and see how well it holds together, although I'm not expecting it to do well.

So assuming it doesn't, how does one repair it before frying? Knead in some flour? Egg? Flour and egg? Nylon netting?

I'd probably go with bread or saltine crumbs, ala meatloaf. Or maybe bulghur wheat. I've never tried flour, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Or, being lazy, I'd make something using the sausage in crumbed form. [Smile]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Egg yolk would do a very good job of binding it together.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sausage cheese balls.

1/2 pound sausage
2cups biscuit mix
2cups grated cheddar cheese
oven at 400f for 10-15 min.

yum

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Sausage cheese balls.

1/2 pound sausage
2cups biscuit mix
2cups grated cheddar cheese
oven at 400f for 10-15 min.

yum

We make those for Pascha! We use the hottest sausage and the sharpest cheese we can find. Always a hit!

Aside: Frightening that none of the grease from either the sausage or the cheese leaks out onto the baking pan. Little heart-attack balls! Tasty as all hell though!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was under the impression that the fat content was the main determining factor for how well sausage holds together once cooked. None of the other suggestions match the thought of more sausage gravy.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would just fry it up, all a-crumble, til good and done, then put it in a plastic tub, & freeze it for when you make pizza, or spaghetti sauce.

Or, omelettes.

And yes, those sausage balls are great. Son1 makes them without cheese tho. Its his 'signature' dish. [Smile]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

Dang you, now I am hungering for an omelet. Onion, sausage, mushroom and maybe a little cheese covered in a green chili sauce. If I could make or find a good green chili sauce I would be in heaven now.

--------------------

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just made this today from my aunt's diabetic cookbook and it's very easy to throw together and quite good.

Applesauce Raisin Bars
1 cup of water
1 cup of raisins
1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
2 eggs
1/3 cup of pure maple syrup
1/2 cup of canola oil
1 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Cook the raisins in water until soft. Drain off water. In a medium bowl, combine the raisins, applesauce, eggs, syrup, oil and vanilla.

2. Combine the remaining ingreiants and add to the medium bowl. Mix well. Bake in a non stick 9x12 inch pan for 30 minutes, cool 10-15 minutes before serving.

Sorry for the American measurements and oven temps.

--------------------
All you have is right now.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

I'm not. I may have to try out this recipe.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am an evil genius.

I have discovered (means I didn't invent it, but I just learned about its existence) a dessert recipe that just about anyone will sell their soul for and it only takes twenty minutes from start to finish (including cooking)

Beat together 3 eggs and 125 g / 5 oz sugar

Melt a bar of chocolate (200 g / 8 oz) in the microwave with 125 g / 5 oz of butter.

Beat the eggs / sugar into the chocolate and butter, then stir in 50g / 2 oz SR flour

Put it in a (fairly flat) microwaveable dish and cook on full power for 3 minutes. Let it stand 3 minutes, then cook on full power again for another 3 minutes.

Behold a delicious French chocolate fondant so good it ought to be illegal

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds lovely - only trouble is, I don't have a microwave. Is there an ordinary oven version?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dang you, now I am hungering for an omelet. Onion, sausage, mushroom and maybe a little cheese covered in a green chili sauce. If I could make or find a good green chili sauce I would be in heaven now.

[Smile] Guess what I had for lunch?? an omelette, but I didn't have any sausage, crumbly, or otherwise. But plenty of cheese and onions.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Sounds lovely - only trouble is, I don't have a microwave. Is there an ordinary oven version?

I think you it takes about fifteen minutes to cook in a conventional oven (220° I think). The important thing is not to cook it too much. It should be set, but still a bit sticky and gooey (ie fondant)

[code schmode)

[ 14. April 2008, 09:51: Message edited by: lady in red ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady in Red

One practical question, what power microwave are you using?

I am considering making my "preached against chocolate cake" even richer.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

My microwave is 900 watts i think. When it first comes out, it doesn't look quite cooked, but it gets more solid as it cools down. The most unutterably blissful phase is when it is still warm but not hot. At this point is still a bit runny and gooey (although cold it is pretty darn fantastic too).

I didn't do this, but for maximum enjoyment i have a vision of the warm fondant with good vanilla ice cream. Mmmmm (goes off into a delicious reverie). Otherwise French people would serve it with crème anglaise I think (and a little bit of icing sugar dusted over the top to make it look pretty)

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:
My microwave is 900 watts i think. When it first comes out, it doesn't look quite cooked, but it gets more solid as it cools down. The most unutterably blissful phase is when it is still warm but not hot. At this point is still a bit runny and gooey (although cold it is pretty darn fantastic too).

I didn't do this, but for maximum enjoyment i have a vision of the warm fondant with good vanilla ice cream. Mmmmm (goes off into a delicious reverie). Otherwise French people would serve it with crème anglaise I think (and a little bit of icing sugar dusted over the top to make it look pretty)

This sounds gorgeous, do you think it would work in individual dishes? How many portions does it make?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

That's for six people who aren't watching their weight [Biased]

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in smaller things. You might need to experiment with the cooking time tho, I suppose.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lady in red, what kind of chocolate did you use?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

So many questions about chocolate dessert! [Smile]

You see, there are those who think that the French are cheese-eating surrender monkeys and the like, but the truth is that France is finally going to take over the world. We have the chocolate fondant, and you shall all fall at our gastronomic feet [Snigger]

I was using what the French call 'chocolat de pâtisserie' - dark but not the very darkest. Although I see the potential for scientific experimentation using other kinds...

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's for six people who aren't watching their weight [Biased]

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in smaller things. You might need to experiment with the cooking time tho, I suppose.

EXPERIMENT? You mean I'll have to cook it MORE THAN ONCE???

[Big Grin]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a very nice recipe for a spinach cheese dish

SPINACH AND CHEESE CASSEROLE

1 lb (2 packages of frozen spinach) - thawed and all the water squeezed out
4 eggs - thoroughly beaten
1 cup of flour (not self rising)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. chopped onion (can add more)
1 cup milk
1 lb. cheese - grated - your choice

Mix eggs, flour, and milk, then other ingredients, lastly add the spinach - this will be very think. Spray baking dish with Pam - or other veg spray - and put in baking dish (9X12 works).

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am an evil genius.

I have discovered (means I didn't invent it, but I just learned about its existence) a dessert recipe that just about anyone will sell their soul for and it only takes twenty minutes from start to finish (including cooking)

Beat together 3 eggs and 125 g / 5 oz sugar

Melt a bar of chocolate (200 g / 8 oz) in the microwave with 125 g / 5 oz of butter.

Beat the eggs / sugar into the chocolate and butter, then stir in 50g / 2 oz SR flour

Put it in a (fairly flat) microwaveable dish and cook on full power for 3 minutes. Let it stand 3 minutes, then cook on full power again for another 3 minutes.

Behold a delicious French chocolate fondant so good it ought to be illegal

Tried it last night. Wow!

(I did the oven version, dark chocolate, served with ice cream.)

sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

- Posted      Profile for sllc   Email sllc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Over here they serve carrot sticks and celery with chicken wings.

Yes, served with chucky blue cheese dressing. [Big Grin]
Posts: 179 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sllc:
quote:
Over here they serve carrot sticks and celery with chicken wings.

Yes, served with chucky blue cheese dressing. [Big Grin]
I thought that was buffalo wings. [Razz]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I give you the world's finest chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Seriously, these things are insanely good.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We bought a fondue pot this weekend. Much dippy fun has ensued, so far we've done cheese for dinner Saturday night, Mr. Otter and The Pup did a spice curry Thai-ish thing for lunch yesterday; and best of all, I am happy to report that coconut milk stands in quite nicely for the cream and/or half-and-half in chocolate fondue!

Sorry, no real recipes, as we've just been winging it. IIRC the chocolate fondue was a 14-ish ounce can of coconut milk, a bar (4 ounce?) of Scharffen-Berger 70% cacao chocolate, the last of the bottle of caramel Bailey's Irish Cream, a good slug of vanilla, and sugar. (Measure? Who measures?)

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The folks I work with are crazy about my peanut butter cookies, so last night I mixed up a batch and brought to work this morning. Here is my recipe:

1 cup softened butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs

Cream together until smooth. Then blend in the following dry ingredients:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix well, then chill about 2 hours. When chilled, form into balls about 1-2 inches, then place on an ungreased baking sheet, about 3-4 inches apart. Flatten with a fork twice, making a criss cross pattern. Bake at 375 degrees (F) for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheet before removing to a rack to complete cooling. Pour a tall glass of cold milk and enjoy!

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello everyone... does anyone have any good vegan main course recipes?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually do my veggie chilli as that's vegan or do you need something posher?

I'll post my recipe if you like but it varies every time.

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not really that posh. I would love to have the chilli recipe.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As other folk at the Wightmeet can testify, chocolate doesn't take long to melt in a microwave [Hot and Hormonal] (Rosamundi came to the rescue of our chocolate puddle after I gave the original chocolate too long!!)
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse asked for a recipe for South Indian papad so here is an approximation - some of the ingredients used here will not be available everywhere so I am using ordinary water and ordinary salt.

It sounds, from what HWMBO says, deceptively easy.

Get some Urad Dal flour - if this is not available buy some urad dal and grind it in a grinder until it is a fine flour.

Reserve some flour for later when rolling.

Add a little salt and a little water to the flour to make a stiff dough.

Knead a lot, or so he says - 10 or 20 minutes!

Leave to rest at least 30 minutes.

Make into long cylinder than chop into small pieces.

Make pieces into small balls rolled in the oiled hand, think table tennis ball size.

Flatten each ball in the hand individually then dip in the reserved flour briefly before rolling into a disc about 1 mm thick.

Dry in the sun, or somewhere convenient.

When fried in hot oil, one at a time, they should go a bit puffy.

After frying keep in an airtight tin until needed.

Crumble over spicy South Indian food.

Enjoy.

As a variation when mixing the dough add some black pepper powder to give a different taste.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Hello everyone... does anyone have any good vegan main course recipes?

Auntie Doris x

What about souped-up bruchetta? I am thinking of Focaccia toasted and topped with a mixture of mediterranean veggies (red/yellow peppers, aubergine, onion, courgette, cherry tomatoes) which have been roasted until caramelising with fresh herbs, olive oil and way too much garlic. Scatter with chopped olives, and maybe some shredded basil.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And while we are italianate - rissotto. Pea and Broad Bean.

Saute some onion in a little olive oil, and once it becomes transparent, toss in the arborio rice for a minute or two. Add a splash of white wine or vermouth and stir until evaporated. Add vegetable stock. When the rice has absorbed most of this, add fresh or frozen peas and broad beans. Cover and cook until the peas/beans are hot (add more liquid if need be: great thing about rissotto it can soak up as much as you like). If a bit runny, raise heat and reduce liquid. Serve with loads of black pepper, and, in the absence of cheese, sprinkle over salted nuts.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Having read Firenze's recipe which I am sure is good, may I just point out that if cooking for vegans then you need to be careful of whats in your cellar as well.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Dormouse

# 5954

Thanks, Wiffles! I'm not sure I'll be able to find the flour, but I'll give it a go.
Cheers!

--------------------

Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My all-time top two vegan main courses:

African sweet potato and spinach stew

4 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
2 tsp fresh root ginger, chopped or grated
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp medium curry paste
400g peeled sweet potatoes, cubed
300 ml passata or 1 can chopped tomatoes
300 ml veg stock
225g spinach leaves, chopped roughly
225g button mushrooms
4 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander

Heat 3 tbsp oil in large pan and fry onion, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper gently for 10 min. Add curry paste, fry 1 min.

Add sweet potatoes, fry 3-4 min. Add passata and stock, simmer 15-20 min or until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile, fry mushrooms in remaining tbsp oil until golden. Add mushrooms and spinach to stew and cook 5 min more until spinach is wilted.

Stir in peanut butter and coriander. Serve with rice, or it's thick enough to work well in tortilla wraps, as well.

Cauliflower Dhal
4 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 in piece fresh root ginger, grated
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
100g red lentils
300ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp curry paste
600g cauliflower florets
300ml canned coconut milk
125g frozen peas, thawed
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 tbsp lemon juice

Heat half the oil in a saucepan, fry onion, garlic, ginger and spices for 5 min.
Add lentils and stock, simmer for 10 min.

Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in large frying pan and fry curry paste for 3 min. Add cauliflower and stir-fry 3 min.

Add cauliflower and coconut milk to lentils and simmer 10 more min. Stir in peas, coriander and lemon juice and heat through. Serve with rice or naan bread.

Both these recipes are very amenable to tweaking; I've done the first with normal potatoes or butternut squash, and usually leave out the mushrooms. Dhal works well with half cauliflower/half broccoli, or sweet potato is nice too. I often leave out the peas, and have done garlic-free or ginger-free versions.

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do a version of the Cauliflower dhal using chick peas instead of lentils and tomatoes instead of coconut milk.

Another vegan meal which comes from Gail Duff’s The Wholefood Cookbook

MUNG BEAN BIRIANI
Serves 4 in theory – I reckon more like 8

METRIC/IMPERIAL
225g (½lb) mung beans
2 medium-sized onions
4 cloves garlic
1 large potato
4 tomatoes
60ml (4tbls) oil
5ml (1tsp) ground turmeric
2.5ml (½ tsp) cayenne pepper (optional)
5ml (1tsp) ground cumin
5ml (1tsp) ground coriander
225g (½lb) brown rice
Soaking water from the beans made up to 750ml (1½ pt) with stock
Pinch sea salt
Juice 1 lemon
Extra tomatoes for garnish

AMERICAN
½lb mung beans
2 medium-sized onions
4 cloves garlic
1 large potato
4 tomatoes
4tbls oil
1tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
1¼ cups brown rice
Soaking water from the beans made up to 3¾ cups with stock
Pinch sea salt
Juice 1 lemon
Extra tomatoes for garnish

Put the mung beans into a saucepan with 575ml (1pt) or 2½ cups water. Cover them, bring them to the boil and simmer them for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and soak the beans for 1 hour. This is the bit I do before work or whenever if I’m cooking this for supper – so it’s flexible

Finely chop the onion and garlic. Scrub the potato and cut it into 1cm (½ in) dice. Scald, skin and roughly chop the tomatoes [or use a tin of ready chopped].

Heat the oil in a saucepan on a low heat. Stir in the onions and garlic and cook them until they look transparent. Stir in the spices and cook them until the onions are soft. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid, and stir them into the pan with the rice, potatoes and tomatoes. Stir them over the heat for 5 minutes. Make the cooking liquid up with stock, pour it into the pan and bring it to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes.

Turn off the heat and quickly stir in the salt and lemon juice. Cover again and leave the pan standing for 15 minutes.

Serve with a tomato salad and garnish with extra tomato slices if desired.

Cooking time 2 hours (but most of that you aren’t doing anything)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
...and way too much garlic...

I'm sorry, I don't understand this concept at all.

[Biased]

HWMBO's recipe for a garlic butter dressing for jacket potatoes is to peel a couple of heads of garlic, chop them roughly then fry gently in a mixture of olive oil and butter with a little salt and a little chilli powder then serve it just like that with the potato. That is a single person serving. He also does a fantabulous garlic pickle and occasionally treats me to his garlic curry.

We eat a kilo or two of garlic a week between the three of us.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:

We eat a kilo or two of garlic a week between the three of us.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Despite being very fond of the Stinking Rose, I can't actually imagine what a kilo of garlic looks like.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pretty impressive, piglet. When I'm there, I get to share in the harvest.

Did I mention my fiddlehead dish had garlic too?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Piglet, here is a few days supply.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016