homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  41  42  43 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Recipe thread - another delicious helping
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a pleasant little thing for lunch today:

Thick slice an aubergine & brush with oil.
Grill on both sides of the slices for about 15 minutes
Smear a good sized smear of hummus on top.
Add a squeeze of lemon juice & a grind of pepper
Pile on fresh breadcrumbs
Grill for a further 2/3 minutes
Eat with salad & any left over hummus.

Does anyone have any other similar things to eat with salad?
We tend to have cold meat/quiche/pie but these aren't very good for one. I'm looking for more veggie based ideas - any suggestions?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

- Posted      Profile for sllc   Email sllc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
We tend to have cold meat/quiche/pie but these aren't very good for one. I'm looking for more veggie based ideas - any suggestions?

Garlicky White Beans and Broth

For cooking the beans:
1 pound (about 2 1/2 cups) dry cannellini
4 quarts cold water, plus more if needed
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more if needed

For the Garlicky Soffritoo
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 big garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried peperoncino
(hot red pepper flakes)

Cooking the Beans:
Drain and rinse the beans and put them in a pot with the water,
bay leaves, and olive oil. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil over
high heat, stirring occasionally. When the water is at a full boil,
set the cover ajar, adjust the heat to maintain a steady gentle boiling,
and cook for an hour more, until the beans are tender. Stir in the salt,
uncover, and continue cooking at a bubbling boil for another hour or
more, until the beans and broth have reduced to 3 quarts.
Lower the heat as the liquid evaporates, and the soup base
thickens, stirring now and then to prevent scorching.

Flavoring the Base with the Soffritto:
When the soup base if sufficiently reduced, make the soffritto.
Heat the olive oil and the sliced garlic in the skillet over medium
heat for 2 minutes or so, shaking the pan now and then, until the
slices are sizzling. Drop in the peperoncino, stir with the garlic
and cook another minute, or until the garlic is just starting to color.
From the soup pot, ladle out a cup of the simmering bean broth and
pour it into the skillet. Let it sizzle and start to boil, shake and stir up
the soffritto, and cook it for a couple of minutes in teh broth. Then
pour it all back into the bean pot, scraping in every bit of the soffritto,
or just rinse the skillet out with more broth. Simmer the soup base
for another 5 minutes with the soffritto, then remover from the heat.

The base is ready for a finished soup now; or let the whole pot cool, pick
out and discard the bay leaves, and keep the soup refrigerated for 3-4 days
or freeze, in filled and tightly sealed containers for 4-to 6 months.

I prefer navy beans but you can use any small white bean you prefer then I just put the whole mess in the crock pot [Big Grin] except for the soffritto. I make that when the beans are done.

Posts: 179 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
sllc
Shipmate
# 12707

- Posted      Profile for sllc   Email sllc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:

Here is another bean recipe. This is really good in the warm weather we have coming up. I haven't tried this with any other bean other than the cannellini.

Tomato, Basil, and White-Bean Salad

Ingredients
Serves 4

2 cans (19 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 pound small roma (plum) tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 small garlic cloves, minced

Directions
Combine beans, tomatoes, basil, and salt in a bowl, and season
with pepper. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic,
and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
Pour over bean mixture, and gently toss. Let stand 30 minutes
before serving to allow the flavors to meld. Salad can be
covered and kept at room temperature up to 4 hours.

Posts: 179 | From: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I wouldn't expect to get leftovers at the 2 sausages per person the recipe gives either - I think I'll make that quantity for the two of us, then we should have enough for the pasta sauce. [Razz]

I would point out that if you use "12 good-quality Cumberland sausages" that's 12 foot of sausage, since proper Cumberland sausages are sold by the foot and not as links. Proper Cumberlands look like this.*

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of those "surely any idiot knows that" questions. I've become very fond of broccoli, not just that it's good for you but I really do like it. But how much of the stalk are you supposed to eat? Whenever it's served as a vegetable in restaurants, you only get the "flower" and a bit of stalk. But I don't like throwing away a lot of what looks perfectly edible. So, what am I supposed to do with the stalks?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
This is one of those "surely any idiot knows that" questions. I've become very fond of broccoli, not just that it's good for you but I really do like it. But how much of the stalk are you supposed to eat? Whenever it's served as a vegetable in restaurants, you only get the "flower" and a bit of stalk. But I don't like throwing away a lot of what looks perfectly edible. So, what am I supposed to do with the stalks?

AFAIK the whole stalk is edible, but it gets very tough and fibrous. Usually when stalk is included with the floret, you get an inch or two. If you want to eat more, I believe the recommendation is to slice it into medallions, which makes it seem less stingy, and allows it to cook in about the same time as the florets. IIRC, peeling the stem is also suggested.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can also julienne the stem and use it in stir fries and that sort of thing - it goes very nicely with shredded ginger!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suddenly it's winter and thoughts of Soup abound. I have read through the last-but-one recipe thread, (following Mamacita's link to Limbo, then following a link on that thread by AdamPater) and copied out some of the easiest recipes, especially those involving lentils. I am now halfway through the thread immediately before this one (whew!). I have tried to remember to add the name of the poster to each recipe, but neglected to do that with the first one I downloaded, and unfortunatley it's that one I have a question about.

It is a recipe for beetroot soup and says;
Peel vege and apple and place in a pan with oil and a couple of spoonfuls of water. Sweat with the lid on for 15 mins or so.

In this context what does sweat mean?

I thought it would be easier just to ask here, rather than wade back through all I've read - besides which it made me hungry.

And thanks everyone for the inspiration to widen my repetoire.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this context, "sweat" means to cook very gently in butter/oil with a lid on, and without letting it brown.

On the broccoli subject, it's very nice sauteed with garlic and coriander - there's a recipe for cauliflower done that way in Delia Smith's Cookery Course, but you can use broccoli or a mixture of the two.

P.S. Wiffles, thank you for the garlic picture - very very scary!

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Piglet.

I have just bought 4 chicken bodies with most of the meat stripped off them (called cages here) and am about to make around 5 litres of stock, then the hard part will be deciding which recipe to try first.

I think it might be chicken barley broth, an old favourite followed by one of the downloaded recipes. Decisions, decisions.

Huia

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to make lasagne this coming weekend. I found the cutest lasagne pasta -- its only about 3/4 of an inch wide. Should be nicer to handle than those huge ones.

Anyway, its the cheesy part I want advice on. The red sauce is no problem. In the past, the white cheese mix has wound up being too runny. I like it to be a good thick layer, quite 'stiff', if you know what I mean.

So what do you use? Ricotta and an egg, and what else?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely not riccotta! Whole milk (not part skim milk) mozzarelle, please. I never heard of using an egg.

Use crumbled mozzarelle. It saves you the trouble of slicing it into uniform pieces. And be generous with it!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These may not be strictly proper, but I've been known to use in lasagna:

ricotta
cottage cheese
mozzarella
provolone
fontina
parmesan
romano
asiago

Although not all at once, at least that I recall. To minimize runniness, keep the proportion of moist cheeses like ricotta, fresh mozzarella (the kind packed in water} and cottage cheese down, and go with more firm cheeses (firm dry mozzarella included).

[ 28. May 2008, 15:10: Message edited by: Otter ]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the tips, Miss Amanda and Otter.

What I'm after is about an inch thick layer of cheese-cake like consistency. The price of cheese around here has gone sky-high! I'll let you all know how it turns out. Wanna come over for lunch Sunday?

PB4S

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to remember putting egg in the white sauce part of a mussaka.... one version here

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the white layer was a bechamel sauce? With or without cheese on the top.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Wanna come over for lunch Sunday?

In a flash! Can't afford to travel, though. [Frown]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of cheese toppings, I came across a nice one for fish, from the late sainted Jane Grigson.

Just mix grated cheese (she suggests a mixture of gruyere and parmesan) with a good dod of Dijon mustard and a couple of spoonfuls of cream. Spread on your fish and bake or grill til all golden and bubbly.

[Deleted duplicate post. Mamacita, Heavenly Host]

[ 29. May 2008, 05:08: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's like my Dad's cheese on toast. Grate the cheese (cheddar of course, as stgrong as possible) and mix it with almost as much mayonaisse as cheese, and maybe some ground pepper, and some fresh herbs (basil is best) to make a splodge. Put the splodge on toast and put it back under the grill till it goes brown and bubbly. Mmmmmm...

That and my Mum's trick of putting Marmite on bread before you fry it are all you need to know about hot greasy bread snacks.

In the old days before heart attacks went out of fasion (i,e, the 1960s) the bread would be fried in lard - heat half the lard in the frying pan, mix the rest with the marmite and spread the mix on slices of bread. Fry the unmarmitey side for a few minutes, then turn over. If you were cookign a breakfast fit for paradise you would put a few onion rings into fry as well. Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
That's like my Dad's cheese on toast. Grate the cheese (cheddar of course, as stgrong as possible) and mix it with almost as much mayonaisse as cheese, and maybe some ground pepper, and some fresh herbs (basil is best) to make a splodge. Put the splodge on toast and put it back under the grill till it goes brown and bubbly.

That sounds luscious! I'll try it for sure.

quote:
In the old days before heart attacks went out of fasion (i,e, the 1960s) the bread would be fried in lard.
Or bacon grease. Heaven on earth!

--------------------

GoodCatholicLad
Shipmate
# 9231

- Posted      Profile for GoodCatholicLad     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Definitely not riccotta! Whole milk (not part skim milk) mozzarelle, please. I never heard of using an egg.

Use crumbled mozzarelle. It saves you the trouble of slicing it into uniform pieces. And be generous with it!

You use the beaten egg with the ricotta so the ricotta is easier to spread on the lasagne noodles.
Skim milk Mozzarella to me isn't Mozzarella it's more like a white rubber ball.

Posts: 1234 | From: San Francisco California | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

And here I thought I had a secret food-sin. Now I find I'm not alone! Whew.

Mayo mixed with that powdery "parmesan" cheese in the plastic shaker ---we call it 'sprinkle cheese'; spread thick on white bread, then bake til its puffed and brown. You're right its heavenly.

Another confession: a hunk of bread dipped into the bacon grease in the skillet. I know, my arteries are screaming "NO".

--------------------
Oinkster

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few weeks ago I had my garden turned from weed-choked morass into, well, garden. The first thing I did was put out pots of herbs.

Tonight I harvested a handful and threw them at the grilled lamb chop and, in the case of the mint, at a mixture of natural yoghurt, diced cucumber and finely chopped onion (this from a Greek cookbook which doesn't actually call it tzatziki).

I have to say, it reminded me why you should use fresh herbs - the impact on a simple meal was subtle, but amazing.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Herbs are definitely the value-for-time-and-money way for gardening. I have considered putting half of ours down to parsley so we can do Greek cooking properly.

ken's mention of Marmite reminds me of my favourite variation of cheese on toast:

toast bread, lightly
spread with butter (optional)
spread with Marmite (to taste)
Add sliced tomato
and sliced cheese on top of that.

Now toast the lot and consume BUT BEWARE of scalding hot tomato!

To tell the truth, if it makes a good pizza, it will probably go well on toast.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A recipe suggested (some time ago*) to cook with young pre-school children was making cheese snails by spreading marmite and grated cheese over a sheet of puff pastry, rolling it up like a swiss roll and then slicing into rounds before baking.

* I'm not sure it would pass the current salt content guidelines.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marmite is not readily available over here. Is there something else that will pair well with school children? [Devil]

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well Marmite is officially a Yeast Extract, so if you can buy Yeast Extract then that would substitute. Don't try this on your average anglo-saxon, yeast extracts can taste quite different, and they will know what Marmite tastes like. They may not like Marmite but they will KNOW the flavour. Failing that, and with non vegetarian kids, then Bovril or similar may do.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Either that, or find a local store selling overseas goodies for homesick expatriates. Marmite from a British shop, Vegemite from an Aussie/Kiwi shop.

Just don't ask for Marmite at the Aussie/Kiwi shop or Vegemite from the Brits - there will NEVER be agreement on which is best.

And if you buy it, and hate it (spread it thinly to begin by the way), you can always drop a bit into soup to add a bit of zing and use it up .

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Marmite is not readily available over here. Is there something else that will pair well with school children? [Devil]

Anything you would normally serve with veal should be appropriate. [Devil] (Not sure if Dean Swift included any recipes in his Modest Proposal.)

Personally, I like small children but I couldn't eat a whole one.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

A couple of days ago I made a tomato and red lentil soup babybear posted on a previous thread. It was really yummy and as it used ingredients I often have around anyway, I'll definitely be making it again.

My biggest surprise was a chickpea soup recipe I'm not sure if I picked up here or by googling chickpeas and soup. I'd never made anything with them before despite Arabella giving me a recipe ( [Hot and Hormonal] which I will try now I have the courage). I didn't know they had a sweetish taste. That will be another repeat [Yipee]

Soupmaking is helping me get some control in my life, besides giving me hot, nutritious meals on wintry days - with all leftovers frozen for future enjoyment.

Thanks to all recipe posters.

Huia

[ 04. June 2008, 06:29: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I live off soup come midwinter.

One thing I have found is that if you are making any kind of simple vegetable soup, putting it through a blender (or, if you don't have one, mashing it with a potato-masher) is transformative. It turns a watery soup into a creamy one.

But one I keep coming back to is Potage Paysanne.

Ingredients:
Diced streaky bacon (a couple of rashers)
Milk
Flour
Water or stock
Root vegetables - potato, onion, carrot, turnip, leek etc.

In a large, heavy pot fry the bacon until the fat runs. Tip in the assorted vegetables, cut in chunks and turn for a minute or two in the fat. Sprinkle over a little flour and keep turning. Pour over a little milk - no more than half a cup - and stir. Add enough water or stock to cover (but not drown) the vegetables, turn down to a simmer and cook until tender.

Just the little bit of bacon, and the vestigal roux just lifts the soup into a satisfying meal.

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This sounds yummy Firenze. I must try it.

I made some excellent flapjack this weekend - we had no proper nuts so I threw in some pine nuts. They worked okay. With added coconut and big juicy raisins I'm finding it hard to stick to my rule of one square of flapjack a day....

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

Errrr...can somebody give me a cross-pond hint what kind of thing Dormouse is calling a flapjack? I've only heard "flapjack" applied to what are normally called pancackes 'round here, the thicker vaguely-relatives of crepes.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flapjacks - oat slices, softer than usual biscuits, not really cakes. Can include all sorts of nuts and raisins to make them more interesting. There's a Cranks recipe making savoury flapjacks using cheese and rosemary, which I've tried - once.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

Thanks muchly, Curiosity killed! I may have to give them a try, they certainly sound good.

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

I'm not sure that they're any healthier than other biscuits, containing, as mine do, both sugar and golden syrup, as well as butter, but I kid myself that the porridge oats make a difference. After all, oats are good for cholesterol...

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhere I've got a recipe for flapjacks made with olive oil which makes them slightly healthier. They're still full of sugar though...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to try a recipe for pasta with broad beans and bacon. It calls for lots of fresh parsley. I haven't got any, but have got sage, tarragon, oregano, thyme and chives. Any suggestions for which would be the best alternative?

Thanks!

--------------------
Nea Fox

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Tarragon.

But use less of it, as the aniseedy taste is stronger than in parsley.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Thanks, Firenze. In the end though, it was raining too hard to go out for fresh herbs (pathetic, moi?!) so we used dried parsley. Tasted pretty good all the same.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Wow Wiff Waff = that's more than I would use in 2 years! I'm seriously impressed.

Huia

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

We don't get many vampires round here!

I saw a great pancake recipe on TV in UK when I was over there - souffle pancakes! In the initial batter just add the egg yolks, not the whites then whisk the white separately, add sugar and whisk again then fold the stiff whites into the batter then fry. They looked delicious - a little thicker but very light.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You can do the soufflé trick with omelettes too - which I prefer with sweet fillings - not that I've done that for ages.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another trick for "healthier" flapjacks is to replace half the golden syrup with black treacle. It won't be any less sweet nor have any fewer calories but is a good source of calcium and iron.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
I saw a great pancake recipe on TV in UK when I was over there - souffle pancakes! In the initial batter just add the egg yolks, not the whites then whisk the white separately, add sugar and whisk again then fold the stiff whites into the batter then fry. They looked delicious - a little thicker but very light.

In the summer of 1970 I worked as a breakfast cook at the Holiday Inn in Lake Placid, New York. That is how we made our pancakes -- we called them "Adirondack Flapjacks". The recipe called for 32 eggs. It was lots of fun separating 32 eggs, ensuring that no yoke got into the whites.

And pure maple syrup please -- so-called "pancake syrup" is nothing more than colored water and sugar.

[ 18. June 2008, 15:45: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

I've got a bunch of summer beetroot and don't know what to do with it! I know how to roast the winter sort and how to make it into soup, which feels too wintery, but it doesn't seem summery enough for salad which is the only other thing I know with beetroot. Any suggestions for something simple and tasty that the K-Glet (17 months) can eat too?? [Help]

--------------------
Nea Fox

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Grate a young beetroot and a carrot. Add a little orange juice for a salad.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Beetroot - roast peeled in chunks with onion wedges using olive oil. Add balsamic vinegar, feta and walnuts to make a hot summer salad, serve with green salad.

Makes a nice sandwich filling grated with cheese - something like Cheshire or Wensleydale, and the bread doesn't go pink if lined with lettuce.

Or there is this site

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just serve it as a roast vegetable like any other that you'd have have with roast beef or lamb. It is a great alternative to some of the more traditional veg.

Also nice raw, grated and mixed with grated carrot, chick peas and a vinaigrette made from orange juice. Toss in some rocket leaves and it even looks beautiful. (Actually the red and green makes it very festive as a summer Christmas dish, but that only works down under!)

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Peel and fairly finely chop the raw beetroot.

Heat some coconut oil [or other oil but coconut tastes better and you only need a little] in pan.

Add a teaspoonful [or less] of mustard seed.

After the mustard seed has popped add beetroot, stir and after a moment reduce heat.

Add a little salt.

Cook gently and stir occasionally.

When done add a dessert spoon of fresh grated coconut [obtainable in many Asian supermarkets already grated] or use unsweetened dessicated coconut that has been moistened and left to swell.

Stir over low heat for 2 minutes.

Serve as an authentic and delicious Kerala dish - Beetroot Thoran [the 'h' is silent].

This is authentic Indian food and note that it contains neither chilli nor ginger - not all Indian food is like the stuff served in Indian restaurants in the rest of the world.

The same basic method can be used for cooking cut green beans, spinach, cabbage, etc.

[ 19. June 2008, 14:50: Message edited by: Wiff Waff ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  41  42  43 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016