homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Geek Bail-Out: it's computering question time! 2016 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Geek Bail-Out: it's computering question time! 2016
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something called Intel Security True Key has installed itself on my PC today, quite openly leaving an icon on the desktop. I don't remember doing anything today to download it.

Anyway it seems to be some kind of password manager. Can anyone advise if it is safe, can I uninstal it, do I need to uninstal it? Thanks

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
If you want to PM me with the model numbers of the kit you have available to play with, I'll look up specs etc. and give you some pointers (or warnings!).

Very kind [Smile] PM sent.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Something called Intel Security True Key has installed itself on my PC today, quite openly leaving an icon on the desktop. I don't remember doing anything today to download it.

Anyway it seems to be some kind of password manager. Can anyone advise if it is safe, can I uninstal it, do I need to uninstal it? Thanks

AFAIK it is safe, but often comes bundled with things like Adobe Flash Player. This is at the very start of the installation, where you manually need to opt-out, i.e. untick the (I think) two boxes that otherwise will install the Intel thingy together with Flash Player. If I remember right, a McAfee scan of sorts is the other untickable opt-out.

So, annoying perhaps, but not a danger. See if it has an uninstaller, or if not, unstall it via the control panel --> programs --> uninstall a program (example for Win 7).

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I've discovered a little file called AntiDust.exe in my programs folder. Does anyone know what this is or does? Am I safe to delete it? The internet seems split on whether it's malware or not.

Doesn't look to me as if it is essential. Before you uninstall, though, I'd suggest to set a restore point so that if anything untoward should happen, you can go back. Uninstall in this case could be best via control panel --> programs --> uninstall a program, as the thing might not show an uninstaller as such.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

AFAIK it is safe, but often comes bundled with things like Adobe Flash Player. This is at the very start of the installation, where you manually need to opt-out, i.e. untick the (I think) two boxes that otherwise will install the Intel thingy together with Flash Player. If I remember right, a McAfee scan of sorts is the other untickable opt-out.

So, annoying perhaps, but not a danger. See if it has an uninstaller, or if not, unstall it via the control panel --> programs --> uninstall a program (example for Win 7).

Thanks ...and I do remember now, I installed Flash in order to play something off the BBC website.

Will now go straight off and uninstall the **** thing.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I use an HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer with my MacBook Pro.

After upgrading to OS Sierra on the Mac, I went through several days of the computer failing to find the printer. Eventually i deleted it and reinstalled it...

Trying to print a service booklet from Word, I can't alter the print defaults to allow booklet printing. It is no longer there.
When I look at the printer defaults, It is "there" but toggled off.

I am at my wits end...anyone got any suggestions (and don't say get a new printer as I have just bought some new ink cartridges for this one...gah!)

Thank you.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you checked the HP site Sierra-specific drivers for that printer?

Chances are the reinstall is using some manner of lowest common denominator, rather than being truly aware of the printer's capabilities.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My friend has a laptop which has started to show peculiar distortions of the display some of the time. Half of the screen goes into thin vertical stripes which bear some sort of relationship to what should be on the screen. For instance, when I saw it yesterday it had the rainbow swirls of the sign off screen in Win 8.1 turned into a fetching deckchair canvas pattern, which then faded out and returned to normal.
I think he probably needs a new screen.
Any ideas what is causing it?

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It could be
The video graphics chip
The cable connecting the chip to the screen
The screen itself

I would first take a look at the cable. They are inexpensive to replace but they do take a whole lot of dismantling and reassembling (why don't we say remantling?).
I would first check it out with booting from a live CD or USB operating system (I have a few but I often use Knoppix) and see if the problem occurs with that. PC mags often have live booting DVDs. Linux Format usually does.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you. That sounds like a job for our little man to come round and collect it for.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago I knew how to change something from read only to writable but I can't remember or perhaps things have changed.

I have a pen drive which Nephew Person managed to convert to Read Only and I want to open it up again - any ideas, please?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Years ago I knew how to change something from read only to writable but I can't remember or perhaps things have changed.

I have a pen drive which Nephew Person managed to convert to Read Only and I want to open it up again - any ideas, please?

Right click on file, then click on 'properties', then untick 'read only' box.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I am in the process of getting to use a new-to-me laptop running Win 8.1. I am not new to this system as it is what runs my little hybrid tablet/netbook, which was fresh from the shop.

With the hybrid, I altered the display to show personal photos for the desktop and the lock screen, and that was fine.

I've tried to do the same with this one. The desktop is OK, but I can't change the lock screen from the deck chair stripes. I've added a lot of photos by using the browse button, so that the native images have fallen off the line. But the stripes still come up. I've instructed it to run a slideshow. But only the stripes appear.

I tried to remove the stripe image, but I have to have permission from the Trustedinstaller. I didn't have anything like this with the hybrid.

I'd like to know how to deal with this.

[ 21. October 2016, 21:30: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It appears that the screen I am not happy with is the start screen. If I click 'Lock' on the tile screen, I get my picture.

So the start screen is what I want to change, and I can't find instructions.

Or maybe it isn't the start screen - but it's the one which comes up after the Acer logo and on which I have to click to get to the password screen.

[ 21. October 2016, 21:42: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have never done this but a search found this Change Win 8.1 start screen.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If that isn't what you want, try googling "change the windows 8.1 pre-login screen background picture" (this kind of initial popup screen can also be called a splash screen).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This isn't a question; I just want to tell you of an odd experience yesterday evening.

A voice, purportedly from Microsoft, suddenly started saying that my computer had been invaded and my confidential information was at risk. It also said that this contamination would affect Microsoft and if I didn't get in touch with them they would be forced to shut down my computer.

I was sure this was a scam. Moreover, the only financial information in my computer is the credit card number of an account that has a five hundred dollar limit. I set up the account for ordering over the internet.

After an hour or so, I suddenly could not connect to new websites. It was late, so I gave up and went to bed. Today, everything connects fine.

Can anyone explain how this happened?

Incidentally, my computer is protected by WebRoot. Should I notify them?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
I have never done this but a search found this Change Win 8.1 start screen.

I've been there - that is the screen behind the tiles, which is an inoffensive blue swirl.

I'm off to try Lamb Chopped's idea. It does seem odd, though, that I had no trouble with my hybrid. It may be because the person I got the computer from (my nice little man whom I have been using for years, and who did work for the school) put the OS on, instead of it coming from the manufacturer. It was a very new one that he had worked on for someone who then didn't collect it because they had bought a new one, and he had scrubbed the hard drive before rebuilding it.

[ 22. October 2016, 12:41: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It looks as though lots of people want to change that screen, and doing so involves very heavy stuff with serious admin rights and very geeky knowledge. I don't know why the version on the hybrid allows it. Probably later after all the outcry!
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo--

Not a techie, but I've stumbled my way through lots of computer problems.

Maybe run a full anti-virus scan. Check your protection software's site; and yes, report it.

FWIW, YMMV. Good luck!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jrw:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Right click on file, then click on 'properties', then untick 'read only' box.
It still says write protected. Most odd.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does it have an actual little switch anywhere on it that you can physically flick to lock/unlock it, or anything? Might be quite tiny.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Can you save its content e.g. onto the puter harddrive and then reformat it?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It won't allow me to format it, because it is write protected.

--------------------

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@WeleaseWoderwick - there should be a way of doing this in Windows, but Windows isn't my thing, so make what you will of this:

If you are really desperate to reactivate this stick you could go to the trouble of downloading Gparted (the 'live' mini-distro), see: http://gparted.org/livecd.php

The entire point of this is to allow folk to re-format, re-partition, and generally fool about with the layout and behaviour of storage devices.

It's not difficult to use, BUT you do need to have the will and the interest. It will almost certainly bring your memory stick back into full use, but as I said - I would be surprised if Windows doesn't offer similar esoteric functionality, if you go digging for it.

[ 24. October 2016, 08:19: Message edited by: Alisdair ]

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

WW.

Here are possible solutions, if you don't find them too geeky.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/storage/how-erase-write-protected-usb-drive-or-sd-card-summary-3633096/

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Question about formatting websites for printing, which of course can also be pdf printing.

I've repeatedly found that websites are increasingly being designed for use on mobile devices. The formatting is often clearly thought for portrait and not landscape mode, with the latter being used on most desktop or even laptop monitors (I have e.g. a 24" and a 22" running together).

At least in Firefox, currently 49.0.2, certain extensive and long websites cannot be printed anymore in their totality. However much I fumble with layout settings in print preview, going down to lower than 'Shrink to Fit', or to higher if necessary, it appears that only one single page could be printed, with only a part of the information that is actually being displayed. Everything has to fit on one single page (!), which makes a lot of the information simply unreadable.

The only way I've found so far is taking screenshots and inserting them into a word processor document for secure saving.

On most webpages, until a few months/years ago, you could choose e.g. to print all, print this frame only etc, which was very helpful. This doesn't seem to be done anymore on many sites, due to (I think) mobile device adaptedness. I suppose coding has changed rather a lot, and I don't like it.

a) Can anyone replicate this?

b) Have a found a workaround, so that again complete pages could be printed again?

Thank you very much! [Smile]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I have not noticed websites with these features, perhaps you could provide a URL.

And I am wondering if what you want to do is to print them or save them.

Have you tried printing them to pdf? I have Foxit installed and that acts as a printer. I also have an archive format addon installed so I can save a webpage to a single file.

The other tool I find useful is the "reader view" in Firefox which allows you to print to a file without all the ads.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chrome allows you to print website pages or save to pdf. I think IE does too, but I don't use it aa much.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have a problem with my antique Asus Eeepc netbook. For some time it has been claiming that I need to update Adobe Flash Player, so I initiated the update - downoaded the file, but then found it wouldn't install. Just didn't run.

I then got a report that Drive C: a very small drive anyway, was short of space. Ran Disk Cleanup, which couldn't make much difference. Went into remove programs to look for stuff to remove - and decided to remove the old version of Flash Player.

But the new version would still not install. So I have no Flash Player.

I have AVG Antivirus, and it doesn't look as though it is preventing installation. I have disabled it (while disconnected) and still cannot make the install file run. No reaction beyond a brief flicker.

Any help would be welcome.

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

LK, Ck..., thanks! - Shall provide lynx when I get round to it. More details to follow then.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I have a problem with my antique Asus Eeepc netbook.

Fascinating. You're the only other person I know who has one that they still use. I had a 10" which quit, 1000HD, but still use an original 2007 version the 701, which has a 4GB solid state hard drive. It was off the shelf with something that looked vaguely like Android and a playstore like app, I suspect they sold their intellectual property to Google. I still use, now with another Linux operating system and a 32GB SD card for a hard drive.

Back to your problem: the hard drives are so small, you probably simply don't have enough space, even if you have 8GB. You might have to remove some other program. I had to remove word processing to install Dropbox update. Then added word processing back after (I use LibreOffice/OpenOffice, but same difference re space if it was Word).

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've stripped off everything from C: that I can. I direct everything to D: that I can. Adobe isn't getting as far as allowing me to do that!

I'm still using it because it still works after a fashion - it's using XP because I needed a computer I could switch to immediately while my laptop was being repaired and didn't have time to learn a new OS. I find it astonishing to look back and see how long I've had it. I was still teaching, still in charge of ICT, and looking at it as a device for school - for which it was, of course, designed. The school went with Linux.

I'm not sure what is cluttering up C:, though I expect that some updates for XP that inadvertently got through but I haven't installed may be involved - but I don't know where they are. And I don't know what I can safely move, either. It may be the only one that can read my Works files, though. (I really hate the absence of backwards compatability with files.)

I don't really need it. I have an HP running XP that is in my office and linked to the printer and runs stuff that needs XP. I have a Samsung with a dodgy keyboard running 7 which is going to be 'lent' to a friend to use as a DVD player when I've emptied it. I've an Acer I was offered as a replacement running 8.1, and a hybrid also running 8.1 which doesn't run all the stuff the Acer does.

I have three floors, one proper one on each floor, though the hybrid goes out as well as being in my bedroom, which is why I was using the Asus, and found it's problems.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've now moved the download to the C: in case it wasn't happy in D: - but no difference.
I shall try, cunningly, to download on another computer running XP and copy across if it works. And copy its existing sourve file first if I can.

[ 11. November 2016, 14:41: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Really weird stuff now. I noticed that Firefox had stopped displaying anything history related, but couldn't remember doing anything to stop it. For instance, the bluing of opened threads and posts here. (This is the poky little Eeepc again, so I thought it would be a space problem.) I went into the tools, reinstated the history option, which had got itself off, and Firefox closed and restarted - and lo, this was the page it showed me, not what I had just been looking at! Possibly the date was the date history got switched off!

And now this won't look as weird as it was - because it was some posts back in August about the Yahoo toolbar that it went to, on page 4, and not here at the end at all.

[ 13. November 2016, 16:53: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I run LinuxLite on my Toshiba Netbook N255, booting from an SD Card. It is much faster that way.

There is an Android release built with the Asus EEE in mind.

Android-X86

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Copied and pasted from a closed Purg thread:

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I’ve upgraded my iphone to a new one, 1011 I believe. There are a number of extra apps on the face that I don’t want. With the old iphone I could delete apps by tapping the icon, then pressing the x and tapping delete. That is still the advice I get on the web.

However when I tap the icon for Garageband or imovies, it gives me further options of “Share GarageBand” or “Create New Live Loops Song” or “Create New Tracks Song” but not “Stuff the gimmick”. How do I get rid of the silly things and clear up space on the phone?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. I couldn't find the thread. Any help?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
10.1.1 is not an iPhone, but the version of the operating system. A new feature of iOS 10 is that you should be able to "delete" most of the preinstalled apps that Apple includes with iOS. They do not truly delete. Your personal info associated with them goes into the bin, but the app itself is just hidden.
That said, GarageBand isn't one of those and be deleteable regardless.
I suggest that this is a bug. Try turning your mobile completely off then restarting. If this does not work, restore from a backup or reset your device to factory settings and then retire from a backup.
Though taking into an Apple Store might be the best thing if you are unsure about playing with your pocket computer/mobile.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think it's a bug. I cannot tap any icon and get the delete option, instead I get what is in effect a pop up menu.

And yet when I google Apple is telling me only last month to tap and delete. But they've changed to rules again.

I tried turning off and on again. Nothing doing. Can I get rid of the unwanted apps in Settings?

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think what you are experiencing may be an effect of the 3D touch feature on your iPhone
quote:
You may have found you can't delete apps easily on your iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 or other devices with 3D-Touch feature. Because when you press an app, it brings you to 3D touch menu, instead of showing you the "X". In this situation, just gently put your finger on the icon [and hold] without pressing down to delete or move apps.

I hope this might help.

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

It did indeed. Thank you, Bro James

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I have an ipod and itunes on my laptop. When I look up Songs on my laptop I can see which tracks I’ve played recently and which ones I’ve played most.

However although itunes has been repeatedly synced by wifi, it still show the most recently played track as on 14 November. I’ve played lots of tracks since then. It should show more recently played tracks and it would amuse me.

This has happened before and it takes a week to update but we are now going on for two weeks. Anything I can do?

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Yesterday it showed all plays up to the day before.

Now it has reverted to showing no plays later than 14 November.

Weird. I updated the latest iCloud for Windows this morning which may be the cause.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I deleted itunes from my laptop and re-installed it. It still showed the most recently played track as that played 14 November.

My ipod shows my most recently played tracks on a specific playlist and it is up to date.

How do I get my laptop to sync?

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

I may have missed this, but which version of Music is on your iPod and which version of iOS; and what laptop/OS/version of iTunes are you using?
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I assume the latest. I downloaded itunes again yesterday.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

iOS 10.1.1

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Hmm. I've been having a look around, and it looks as there is an issue of some sort. There isn't any straightforward solution or work round that I can see. There are various things on the Apple user forums, but Apple are more likely to attend to (though they don't respond to) feedback. That might lead to a fix further down the line (or removal of the feature if it is too problematic).
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Thank you so much for your research Bro James. I was beginning to feel a bit of a twit for asking.

I've just upgraded to iOS 12.5.4 It still shows only one track playing in the last month.

As a matter of interest can someone explaining in simple terms what iOS is?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016