homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » Everlasting.... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  138  139  140 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Everlasting....
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It must have been an utter eternity since we had an everlasting sentences thread. Those were the good old days!

The game is quite simple. The first person posts a sentence to start it off. That person will be me [Big Grin]

The next player then posts a totally random next sentence, not necessarily connected to the preceding one at all (though it could be) except in one way - it must begin with the same letters (but NOT the same word) that the preceding sentence ended with. You must use more than one "overlapping" letter in your sentence - the wittier and more clever the overlap, the better!

For example:
A) Here is a sentence.
B) Ten cedar trees are growing in my garden.

So, let's begin with....

I would like to wish a jolly good New Year to all my shipmates in the Circus.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14367 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Customs such as we enter into at Christmas and New Year are looked joyfully anticipated each year.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1280 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Early in the day is the best time for walking here.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Her earlier sentences on this thread were clearly of high calibre.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brevity and prevarication managed in just one sentence, penguin?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13523 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

In my defence, I have been up and done a day's work already.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read your own instructions; aren't sentences supposed to be unconnected with the one preceding?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Receding hairlines can cause gentlemen much distress.

--------------------

Posts: 13523 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Essentially, Wodders, the sentence may be connected with the previous one, it just does not have to be.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21288 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

A vet OBE in the New Year's Honour List would be unsurprising.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sing praise to a certain penguin for getting everlasting sentences going again.
Posts: 2794 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Gag Ainsley quickly before he blurts out my secrets!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Sec Retsina is so sour as to be unpleasant to drink.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

In keeping with the festive season, I would like to raise a toast to my shipmates here but as I am teetotal it will have to be toast and jam.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A stand jammed into the corner just makes the room look overcrowded.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Row, dedicated oarsmen, row for your lives.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ives [Charles] was a much under-rated composer.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Ted, Compo: Series of Last of the Summer Wine resumes with only two characters.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terse, witty conversation is quite beyond the ability of lots of people.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please can I join in as well?
Posts: 1066 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Swell to see you, Lucia.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I assume most folks are welcome hereabouts.

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come here about seventy times a day and this thread will soon be the longest one on the Ship.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

"He's hip," isn't that a very old fashioned way of referring to a gentleman (well, one hopes he's a gentleman)?

--------------------

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Le Mans in France is best known for its 24 hour sports car race.

[ 02. January 2014, 14:26: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1066 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Author's homepage   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scar "R", a century was not sufficient to wipe it from the field.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 17814 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Elderly shipmates may find that certain games are a little too fast-moving for them.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Empathy for the aged is sadly lacking in young people today.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

A younger man would not have made such a remark.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are Mark Owen et al still performing together as Take That?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1047 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A stake that truly works is one though a vampires heart.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

"A vamp": I re-shear the mini-skirt into a micro length to comply with the fancy dress party invitation requirements.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re quire men: tsetse flies are more likely to target tenors and baritones than basses.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2487 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Assess the damage before attempting the repair as you may find it beyond your capabilities.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tie string into intricate designs and you get macrame.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Cramming elephants into your Mini Cooper is only to be recommended if you have a sunroof.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

Of course when you are a Circus host you can break the game rules by missing out the last letter of the previous sentence!
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Certainly you can - but nobody else should try it!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's really good to see this game again - and this time nobody can blame me!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34563 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Meme' is one of those modern words that I am rather foggy about.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bout of flu is to be avoided - especially when the weather is so damp.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Sod amplification - a new way of inserting speakers in your lawn - is perfect for providing a musical background for sunny summer afternoons in the garden.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

latecomer
Apprentice
# 8966

- Posted      Profile for latecomer         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ardent souls burn bright but fast

--------------------
Keep it simple - I can do simple

Posts: 27 | From: Somerset | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A stern word will be needed with anyone who breaks their New Year resolutions.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34563 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I, on seeing that Chorister had posted on this thread, hurried here to read her pearls of wisdom.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Is domination by the current and former Circus hosts a given?

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

I've never known it to be otherwise.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other Wise Men went looking for the Baby Jesus, but some of them got lost.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20716 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Osteopaths are professionsls whose services, happily, I've never yet required.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19563 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Quire decanii always sit on one side of the quire stalls.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  138  139  140 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016