homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2017 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2017 Celebrity Death Pool
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin Moran, best known for playing Joanie Cunningham on the television show "Happy Days" has died at 56.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tripped across this by accident last night - Toby Smith, original keyboardist for Jamiroquai, 11 April, dead at 46. "Acid jazz" was very much part of the sound track of my life in the '90s, and still is.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
12 points for anyone who had Robert M Pirsig , author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

I wonder if I can find an excuse to use a beer can as shim stock by way of tribute?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
12 points for anyone who had Robert M Pirsig , author of "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

I wonder if I can find an excuse to use a beer can as shim stock by way of tribute?

AG

That is a sad loss. It is a sublime and brilliant book.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonathan Demme, director of Philadelphia, and Silence of the Lambs, dead at 73, of complications related to cancer.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I re-watched Silence Of The Lambs a few years back, and found that it has not aged well. It's very much of that early 90s "serial-killer chic" era. Hopkins whole "debonair sociopath" schtick wears thin real quickly.

And there was absolutely no reason to re-make The Manchurian Candidate, which doesn't really work outside of a Cold War context anyway. (Al Qaeda running a brainwashing centre in the middle of the desert?)

I guess Something Wild was entertaining enough, from what I remember of it. And there were a few funny scenes in Married To The Mob. Philadelphia barely rose above a made-for-TV message movie.

I seem to recall liking Rachel Getting Married, but can't remember anything about it.

[ 26. April 2017, 16:52: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Light User
Apprentice
# 14254

- Posted      Profile for Light User   Email Light User   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bruce Langhorne, the inspiration behind Bob Dylan's Mr Tambourine Man, who later went on to invent his own brand of chilli sauce, passed away a couple of weeks ago.

I'm up to the dizzy heights of two successful hits now.

--------------------
Vita brevis, ars longa

Posts: 49 | From: Devon | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's 22 for you, then!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I re-watched Silence Of The Lambs a few years back, and found that it has not aged well.

I couldn't tell how well it's aged; I swear that I have never seen that film all the way through. I have started watching it at least half a dozen times but have fallen asleep partway through every single time. Have given up on it now.

[Aside]NB This is not necessarily a comment on the quality of the film! [/Aside]

--------------------
Misha
Don't assume I don't care; sometimes I just can't be bothered to put you right.

Posts: 296 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I re-watched Silence Of The Lambs a few years back, and found that it has not aged well. It's very much of that early 90s "serial-killer chic" era. Hopkins whole "debonair sociopath" schtick wears thin real quickly.

Criticizing a movie for those that copied it is a fair tactic.
Thank you as well, for the critiques and spoilers* in an unexpected place! We are in the circus, so perhaps this is a game? Find out what people hate and then sprinkle that into other threads so they might encounter it unexpectedly, how fun!

*Who doesn't love spoilers? Having a movie that one might wish to see ruined aforetime, sublime.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cartoon genius Leo Baxendale has died at 86.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DJ Robert Miles, best known for his hit dance track Children has passed away at the unreasonably young age of 47.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then Went Michael Parks

[ 10. May 2017, 21:02: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Magic Grandad is himself being taken on a tour, and the Crowman possibly finds out who makes who.
Geoffrey Bayldon has died.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian Brady has died, aged 79. No further comment.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhodri Morgan, ex Wales First Minister - he may have been parachuted into the job, but he has no need of a parachute now.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Former Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes has died at 77. Ailes resigned from his post leading Fox News last July, amid allegations of sexual harassment.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chris Cornell from the band Soundgarden has also died, possibly by his own hand.

He was the same age as me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Chris Cornell from the band Soundgarden has also died, possibly by his own hand.

He was the same age as me.

Oh no. [Waterworks]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Motorcycle world champion Nicky Hayden has died, aged 35 after a cycling accident in Italy.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how I missed this but, Powers Boothe has died. One of my favourite actors for portraying men of dubious character.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

11 points for anyone who had Sir Roger Moore on their list. I had two stars of James Bond films, but neither one was Sir Roger.

May you now be with the other Saints. [Angel]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raising an eyebrow in his memory

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

He needs to be canonised.

Saint The Saint

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Raising an eyebrow in his memory

Absolutely. To me (perhaps because he happened to be the first Bond I saw), he was the Bond - you can keep Sean Connery and his shilly voishe.

RIP Sir Roger. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Actor, business woman and philanthropist Dina Merrill dead at 93.

Also, noted conflict photographer, Stanley Greene dies at 68.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

- Posted      Profile for Teekeey Misha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
...he was the Bond - you can keep Sean Connery and his shilly voishe.

He was certainly not the "best Bond", but he was my favourite Bond. I also especially liked Moore because he was so unpretentious; he didn't claim to be a particularly talented actor. When Roy Plumley observed on Desert Island Discs that the Bond role wasn't especially stretching Moore as an actor, Moore replied, "It's probably just as well."
[Overused]

ETR an errant speech mark!

[ 24. May 2017, 14:07: Message edited by: Teekeey Misha ]

--------------------
Misha

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the notice in the Telegraph, he was quoted as describing his range as an actor as “everything from ‘raises left eyebrow’ to ‘raises right eyebrow’”.

I think there was a little more to him than that. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn it. I scored some points. [Frown] Jim Bunning has died.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another of music's greats has gone. Gregg Allman has died at 69.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prog rock and Jazz fusion guitarist Allan Holdsworth, the best guitarist I have ever seen, died of a heart attack aged 70 back on 15th April.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Noakes has gone to the Blue Peter sofa in the sky.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

A sad loss. He always came over as a lovely, funny man.

The dream Blue team for me were John Noakes, Peter Purves and Valerie Singleton. They made the show something very very special.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh. John Noakes. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

(I was more of a Magpie watcher, as that's what my siblings preferred but I did watch Blue Peter then I could get to the TV first. It was John Noakes, Peter Purves, and Lesley Judd who were my Blue Peter dream team.)

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

That's another part of my childhood gone.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
That's another part of my childhood gone.

And mine. [Frown]

Down, Shep!

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn. I stack my list with ailing despots and forget about Manuel Noriega.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Teekeey Misha
Shipmate
# 18604

Roy Barraclough has died aged 81.

He was known to many through his character "Alec Gilroy" in Coronation Street, but is remembered by the more discerning Lancastrian as "Cissie" alongside Les Dawson's "Ada".

--------------------
Misha

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I think I might have expected him to be older than 81 - he seems to have been around for such a long time.

RIP.

eta: I'm probably more taken aback that Julie Goodyear (the actress who played Bet Lynch, his on-screen wife) is 75.

[Eek!]

[ 01. June 2017, 21:36: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Peter Sallis, best known as half of Wallace & Gromit and as Norman Clegg from Last of the Summer Wine, has died aged 96.

Thank you for making us smile and laugh. Our lives were all the richer for you. [Votive]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Wallace

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The journey to Heaven will indeed be A Grand Day Out !

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

RIP Mr. Sallis, and Wallace. [Tear]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bye bye Bodger. Badger is speechless with grief.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

RIP Batman, aka Adam West.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:

I am literally crying. He is my favourite Batman.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This. Adam West is, and always will be Batman.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

He isn't my favourite. He is simply the only Batman.

Holy Resting in Peace Adam.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anita Pallenberg...

Variety

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Countess Mountbatten of Burma has ascended to the immortal mansions. Royal Central

[Edited to fix link. Imaginary Friend, Circus host]

[ 16. June 2017, 07:39: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016