homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2017 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2017 Celebrity Death Pool
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Another one in the "how did he last so long" file.

To quote the American philosopher W. Martin Joel:
quote:
Only the Good die young

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favorite Hef memory.

1989 or thereabouts, he was being interviewed with his new wife, Kimberley Conrad(about 27), on one of those Entertainment Tonight-type shows. Hef ended the interview with some ruminations on his future.

HEF: And now, I look forward to starting my new life.

KC(in a singsong voice): Honey, your new life?

TOGETHER: OUR new life!

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monty Hall is now making his biggest deal ever.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Tom Petty has run down his last dream.
Sad day.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Tom Petty has run down his last dream.
Sad day.

A real heartbreaker.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
papers reporting here that Tom Petty is not dead yet. Let's hope for a full recovery. Some outlets jumped the gun.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody had him, otherwise, the Monty Python rule would be getting some good quality use.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Nobody had him, otherwise, the Monty Python rule would be getting some good quality use.

I think it is definite now that he has died.
[Votive]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WaPo says it's true, so . . .

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. He's gone. I saw him when he toured with Saint Bob in I'm going to say 1984. *sigh*

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved Petty's music, ever since American Girl.

It looks like the Travelling Wilburys are getting the band back together. Better get Bob and Jeff on next year's list.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lawrence Argent, the acclaimed sculptor who created the 40-foot-high “big blue bear” sculpture that has become an artistic icon for Denver, Colorado, died on October 4 at the age of 60.

I’m not usually a fan of “public art” but “I See What You Mean” (as it was officially called) certainly made me smile. He stands on his hind legs, his paws and nose pressed against a steel-framed glass wall of the Colorado Convention Center. I’ve admired him from the sidewalk as well as from inside the Convention Center.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess I'd not heard of Mr. Argent, but I love the bear!

I think he's just put Denver on to my bucket list ... [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think he was on anyone's radar. Comedian Sean Hughes has died, aged just 51.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Don't think he was on anyone's radar. Comedian Sean Hughes has died, aged just 51.

Still a bright light extinguished, for all that.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was a great comedian. Really shocked to hear this, a sad loss.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always liked him on Never mind the Buzzcocks.

RIP. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Now recording audiobooks for the angels, Roy Dotrice has died.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now recording audiobooks for the angels, Roy Dotrice has died.

I don't follow Game of Thrones so this is another of those "Gosh, was he still alive". I first saw him fifty-something years ago in the series of "Misleading Cases" (and he was made up to look seventy-odd). I seem to remember he once proved that a cheque could validly be written on a cow.

I wonder what voice he will use when addressed by St Peter?

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roy Dotrice was in the RAF with a friend of mine: prior to that he'd been in a workhouse [Eek!]

I remember him as Shallow with the RSC in the early 1960s.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bummer. I listened to all five GoT audio books. If Mr. Martin had got his act together then Mr. Dotrice could have recorded the rest of the series.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw his one-man show "Brief Lives" in the early 70s. Magnificent and also funny (and the most cluttered set I've ever seen!)
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Gord Downie now bringing Canadian flavour to the hipsters in the afterlife.

[ 19. October 2017, 00:26: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rosemary Leach has died - I cannot place her, but I recognise her name.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I certainly recognise her - she turned up in various television roles, serious and comic, although I can't put my finger on a specific one at the moment.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Robert Guillaume has died. He played Benson in Soap and Benson and also played Isaac Jaffee in SportsNight (a show cancelled way too early).

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Rock ‘n’ Rill legend Fats Domino is finding his thrill on a more ethereal hill. And teaching the angels the Twist.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rock ‘n’ Rill legend Fats Domino is finding his thrill on a more ethereal hill.

Ain't that a shame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbfMlk1PwGU

[ 25. October 2017, 15:50: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because she is interesting,
Iona Opie died recently. And because I loved the illustrations for What-a-Mess so much, Joseph Wright, children's illustrator.

[ 06. November 2017, 15:28: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good lord, I thought Iona Opie was long gone!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Pitcher Roy Halladay has died in a plane crash. 2-time Cy Young Award winner; he pitched the 20th "perfect game" in MLB history and the second playoff no-hitter.

A potential Hall of Famer, but he just retired from baseball in 2013 and I don't think he is even eligible to be on the ballot until 2018 or 2019.

[Votive]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Antonio Carluccio has died at the age of 80. He made food with a smile.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Antonio Carluccio has died at the age of 80. He made food with a smile.

He was worth any number of Jamies and Gordons. He took ordinary ingredients and showed us how to make great food.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He also cooked in some pretty splendid restaurants. Looked like a chef should too - well fed, not lean and hungry.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He will be much missed in our house.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Hillerman, the small town Texan who played snooty Brits on TV and in movies -most notably on Magnum, PI- has died at 84

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I'm sure Mr Hillerman may have been a fine actor but his faux 'English' accent didn't take in any Brits.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Tim Gudgin, the voice of Saturday afternoons, has died aged 87.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

A whopping one point for me, as it is being announced that Bobby Doerr has died at age 99.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I'm sure Mr Hillerman may have been a fine actor but his faux 'English' accent didn't take in any Brits.

I'd be curious to know what Brits think about Hillerman's fellow Yank Paul Benedict's accent.

There's a real-life interview with Benedict elsewhere on You Tube, and he doesn't sound at all like an Englishman.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:

Will he and James Alexander-Gordon be taking it in turns to read out the heavenly footie results?

RIP. [Votive]

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actor Keith Barron has died.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

Will he and James Alexander-Gordon be taking it in turns to read out the heavenly footie results?

RIP. [Votive]

Not forgetting Len Martin (Tim Gudgin's predecessor on Grandstand, who died during the 90s).

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Keith Barron also appeared in Baby Love - a British soft-porn(ish) offering of 1968 which starred a sometime chorister (Linda Hayden - nee Higginson) in my Godfather's choir.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Hopefully not on a Highway to Hell, AC/DC founder Malcolm Young has died.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw yesterday lB.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
David Cassidy has died. Another name from my teens...

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

And mine, St. G.

RIP Mr. Cassidy. [Votive]

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was the utterly unlamented Manson on anyone's list?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if she was on anyone's list, but the former Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna has died, aged only 49.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016