homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » The Circus   » 2017 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 2017 Celebrity Death Pool
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
David Cassidy has died. Another name from my teens...

I am finding no confirmation of this. Where did you see it?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
Was the utterly unlamented Manson on anyone's list?

Probably not St. Peter's.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
David Cassidy has died. Another name from my teens...

I am finding no confirmation of this. Where did you see it?
I can find no confirmation of death either, but it cannot be long before this happens, given what I have read.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw David Cassidy's death reported on Facebook but checked it via Google. There was nothing in the newspaper today, so it might not be right.
Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
I don't know if she was on anyone's list, but the former Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna has died, aged only 49.

That is really sad - and so young.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Della Reese of "Touched By an Angel" fame has died

I admit to being a fan of the show when I was a young child, and I admit now, a lot of it was saccharine and overly sentimental, but still Della Reese's character did have some pearls of wisdom.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sad to hear about Jana Novotna - she was such an entertaining player to watch, in an era when the ladies' game could be a bit dull. I'm choking up remembering her crying on the Duchess's shoulder - it seems a shame that she's mostly remembered for a match she lost.

RIP [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Saw David Cassidy's death reported on Facebook but checked it via Google. There was nothing in the newspaper today, so it might not be right.

Wikipedia still lists him as living.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TV news tonight reported that he is in hospital suffering from organ failure.

[ 20. November 2017, 23:14: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It isn't. Facebook is powerful, but it can't kill people. Yet.

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Facebook is powerful, but it can't kill people. Yet.

That's what it WANTS you to think! [Paranoid]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Della Reese of "Touched By an Angel" fame has died

I admit to being a fan of the show when I was a young child, and I admit now, a lot of it was saccharine and overly sentimental, but still Della Reese's character did have some pearls of wisdom.

Someone told me about an episode in which they go back in time and convert Mark Twain to Christianity. Which, to the extent that you can be offensive about a dead guy who nobody now living ever met, is pretty offenive. Though it does reflect a rather American obsession with having their national icons all be religiously correct.

(Caveat: I never actually saw the episode, or any other of that show. I tend to trust the person who described it to me.)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rodney Bewes, one of the Likely Lads, has died aged 79.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not think this was likely.
Another of Basil Brush's sidekicks is gone. [Frown]

Beaten to it by seconds.

[ 21. November 2017, 18:56: Message edited by: balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rodney Bewes has died. Best known for playing alongside James Bolam in The Likely Lads.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I don't believe that, in the time it took me to type my post out, TWO people posted the same.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It now seems to be official -- David Cassidy has died at 67. (Lots of news sources are reporting this now.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now official. He was a part of my childhood but then a lot of people appearing on this thread were.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dmitri Hvorostovsky, renowned Russian baritone, has died at 55.

(Personally, I think he'll be adding more to the Heavenly Chorus than David Cassidy, but tastes differ.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he'll be adding to a different bit of the Heavenly Chorus - I'd like to think that it has something for all tastes. [Smile]

May they both rest in peace. [Votive]

PS 55 is far too young - it's my age. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because I loved Rosie's Walk and Titch, particularly You'll Soon Grow Into Them so much, Pat Hutchins has died. Also known for Rosie and Jim.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well surprise, surprise, surprise. Jim Nabors has died. Just yesterday, I was listening to a recording of him singing a Christmas tune...

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Yipes! They are playing it again right now! Jim Nabors singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."

I think the playlist on this holiday channel is pretty well set far in advance, so it is probably just a coincidence.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christine Keeler, remembered for the Profumo Affair and "Well, he would say that would say that wouldn't he?" comment has died aged 75.

Also Shashi Kapoor

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

I was just thinking about Keeler and the Profumo affair the other day - I think I saw a headline related to it.

That comment was made by Mandy Rice Davies, not Keeler.

--------------------

----

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

John Anderson, who ran as an Independent for the U.S. Presidency in 1980, has died at 95.

--------------------
~Tortuf

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The famous Christine Keeler quote is, "Discreiion is the polite word for hypocricy."

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
King Michael of Romania. Aetatis 96.One of the last living actors in the history of the Second World War. He brought Romania into the conflict on the side of the Allied Forces, and for his pains his country was overrun by the Soviet steamroller and he was forced to abdicate in 1947.

In his old age he regained his citizenship and his death is being mourned by the current Romanian government.

He was a first cousin to Prince Philip of Greece who also fashioned a career outside his native land, marrying money.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More than miffed aboutJohnny Hallyday’s death.
He was on my list for several years till I removed him for 2016.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
The famous Christine Keeler quote is, "Discreiion is the polite word for hypocricy."

Discreiion and hypocricy are not words at all, "Discretion is the polite word for hypocrisy."

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Johnny. I had him for a few years as well and took him off the list when he seemed to be getting better.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Listening to his duet from the children’s musical ‘Emilie Jolie’ today.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Max Clifford has died.
Anybody have him?

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Max Clifford has died.
Anybody have him?

I could have put that better.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I had just heard that he had been taken ill, and had put him on my list for next year.

I can't say I am sad at his loss. He has spent his life hiding misdemeanours for money.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
quote:
Max Clifford has died.
Anybody have him?

I could have put that better.
Yes.

You could have said that celebrity publicist, self publicist and convicted sex offender Max Clifford has died.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheggers has swapped this life for the afterlife.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Just heard that. He was something of a prick in recent years on twitter in particular, but I remember his peak times, when he was brilliant.

He was a big child, and in his Swap Shop times that was perfect.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Cheggers. I remember him fondly. Cheggers Plays Pop...Pop...Pop....

I always felt his natural age was about 17, in contrast to John Craven, say, whose natural age was about 57. When comparing modern footage to archive I would always think "Wow, Cheggers looks so old now!" but "Oh, John Craven looked so young then!"

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone starting the ball rolling for 2018 or are we waiting for the launch of the new ship?

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I believe we are waiting for the new Ship--but people should be assembling their lists now to be ready to post them quickly once we get on board.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Theologian R C Sproul has died.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Just read this Heinz Wolff has died. He was one of the brilliant expressive scientists from my youth.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Cyclist Sharon Laws. Former British road race and Time trial champion, from cervical cancer.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a 2018 pool yet? Don't see one?

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
King Michael I of Romania may not have been exactly a celebrity, but seems to have been a decent chap, who stood up against totalitarian regimes.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:

I think people may be waiting for the advent of the new Ship. In that case it will likely start a little later than usual.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:

I think people may be waiting for the advent of the new Ship. In that case it will likely start a little later than usual.
I have my list ready to copy and paste, I suggest that we all should be suitably prepared.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jeepers! I hadn't a Scooby she was still around; the voice of Daphne, Heather North has died.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

Cardinal Bernard Law, the disgraced former archbishop of Boston whose years of shielding sexually abusive priests caused generations of pain, has died at the age of 86.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016