homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Theresa May to resign, when? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Theresa May to resign, when?
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to say that the DUP probably hate Corbyn, because of his support for Sinn Fein, so they will support May in most things, especially if they see tons of money flowing across the Irish sea.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whether or not there is a deal with the DUP (and I really hope not) the Queen's Speech will get through ok. The DUP will support it because they fear another election which Jeremy Corbyn would win.

I still think Theresa may will go soon after the speech, although this will not be directly related to the Speech. She'll see it through and then go. What can I do to nudge her? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To hold on in government the Tories have a challenge ahead of them. The first hurdle of which will be the Queens Speech. In a way stating that this will cover two years legislation was a clever move - if they get it voted through they don't need to jump that hurdle again next year (though there will still be budgets to get through), giving them a bit of breathing space before potentially having to go to the country again. Though, it's also risky - they could have probably put together a years legislative programme which avoided all the really difficult commitments in their manifesto (so, no additional austerity, no changes to pensions etc) and put in all the things that they'll get cross party support for (fire safety in high rise buildings, increased support for counter-terrorism etc) and all they'd need would be enough non-Tory MPs to abstain to get it through and then face the difficult parts of the package next year - and a year is a very long time in politics, a few by-elections in their favour and the maths of the chamber changes considerably.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The body language as the PM and Jeremy Corbyn walked towards the Commons - she obviously wanting to be loved, he doing his best to ignore her.

She knows she's on the way out.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Forgot to say that the DUP probably hate Corbyn, because of his support for Sinn Fein, so they will support May in most things, especially if they see tons of money flowing across the Irish sea.

Nothing unusual there. The DUP, as heirs to the opposition to the civil rights movement, are big on hate. It started with the Provos and Sinn Fein, through the British Government, the SDLP and eventually the other Unionist parties.

They may for a while be allies, (weeks? months?) but the cost will be disproportionate.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 billion, according to the BBC.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's quite a jump between "Taken for granted" and worth 2B GDP.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
The body language as the PM and Jeremy Corbyn walked towards the Commons - she obviously wanting to be loved, he doing his best to ignore her.

She knows she's on the way out.

I missed that, hope to catch it on the news. No doubt her previous body language towards him was utter froideur and hauteur. Hey, these French words are neat.

Apparently, Skinner shouted out, when MPs were invited to the Queen's speech, 'hurry up, the first race at Ascot is 2.30', knowing the Queen's preference for horses over humans. Who can blame her?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Interesting minor point, that the DUP are supposed to have asked the Great Leader to guarantee no poll on a united Ireland. I think that that would be a flagrant breach of GFA, although I don't have it to hand.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
alienfromzog:
quote:
In theory, Corbyn (as leadet of the next biggest group) has 2 weeks to see if he can command the support of parliament.

...and he will only get that if he can persuade a few Conservative backbenchers to support him, which is about as likely as Hell freezing over. So in practice, another election is almost guaranteed - and that's another umpty million pounds down the drain, and all the while the clock is ticking on the Brexit "negotiations".
Yes, but you end up with a giant game of poker. The Tories might be reluctant to bring down a Corbyn govt, as an election would follow, in which Corbyn might get a majority, especially if he portrays the Tories as nihilists, or whatever term he chooses.

So they may hold off for a while, no doubt hoping that a Corbyn govt would also attract opprobium. Then it might depend on whether the Tories can win back support. At the moment, they are in a bad place, but hope springs eternal.

Corbyn's Janus-faced approach to the subject of Brexit served him well during the election as Remainiac Ultras turned to him as the nearest way of giving May a kicking whilst those reconciled to departure and Leavers were also able to vote for him. However, as leader of a minority government he would have to negotiate Brexit and get it through the House of Commons.

Incidentally, I have never understood the DUPs "Jeremy Corbyn supported the IRA so we can never support him" line. Dudes, you've been in a power sharing agreement with Martin fucking McGuinness. You've all read your Bibles so remind me what the Good Lord said about camels and gnats.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best moment of the whole day came from Dennis Skinner MP:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-40351816/the-queen-s-speech-mp-tells-black-rod-to-get-skates-on

Apparently, a comment or remark from Mr. Skinner at this point is part of the traditional ceremonial of the occasion...

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Apparently, a comment or remark from Mr. Skinner at this point is part of the traditional ceremonial of the occasion...

When the Beast finally leaves the house, someone really has to step in as his replacement on these occasions.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, but may that day be long delayed...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The best moment of the whole day came from Dennis Skinner MP:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-40351816/the-queen-s-speech-mp-tells-black-rod-to-get-skates-on

[Overused]

IJ

I enjoyed the smirk on the face of Black Rod. I can't help wondering of Brenda muttered something to that effect to him and then The Beast of Bolsover inadvertently repeated it.

I believe that it was Chris Patten who said of Skinner that he had become a British Constitutional Tradition, a bit like the ravens at the Tower of London. And that was before the State Opening, when he looked up at Black Rod and growled "I bet he drinks Carling Black Label". (Product placement Dennis? What are you like?)

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Oh, and the other Good Thing about the Queen's Speech was that there was no mention of the proposed State Visit of The Odious Orange Ozymandias ( aka Trump).

Hopefully, said Visit is postponed indefinitely, as by the time The Government Of Headless Chickens gets itself sorted out, Ozymandias will have fallen...

IJ

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

Incidentally, I have never understood the DUPs "Jeremy Corbyn supported the IRA so we can never support him" line. Dudes, you've been in a power sharing agreement with Martin fucking McGuinness. You've all read your Bibles so remind me what the Good Lord said about camels and gnats.

They've read their Bibles. But the bits they tend to remember are usually about what people do with their naughty bits to get them sent to hell. And anything about peacemaking, reconciliation, treating others as you would wish to be treated etc, is meant for the other guy. Not them. They're God's little sunbeams, so they're perfect already. That's why they feel compelled to force their narrow religious beliefs on the whole province.

God knew what he was about when he told 1st AD Christians all same-sex practitioners would go to hell; but He's on kind of shaky ground when He told them to love their enemies. No, couldn't have meant that bit. At least not without some serious revisionist interpretation. [Big Grin]

Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm missing the Revd Ian Paisley... [Paranoid]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishop's Finger:
quote:
Oh, and the other Good Thing about the Queen's Speech was that there was no mention of the proposed State Visit of The Odious Orange Ozymandias ( aka Trump).
I can't believe nobody has mentioned The Hat yet. Speculation over whether this is a coded message to the populace about the Queen's real opinion of Brexit is rife, to the point where the Daily Heil is annoyed about it.

Yes. THE QUEEN HAS ANNOYED THE DAILY MAIL. By wearing a hat.

Glorious.

[ 21. June 2017, 18:52: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

But The Crown went to Parliament, apparently in its own car.... [Eek!]

I thought HM the Q looked rather less regal today than Charles-III-in-waiting, but full marks to her for pi**ing off the Daily Heil.

IJ

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Yes, the thing about the Crown having to go in a different car was a bit weird. It's probably another message that I don't know enough about royal protocol to decode...
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They may have been worried about errant mallets ¹

---

¹ Wikipedia

(Clickbait, what clickbait ...)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

You'd probably need a sledgehammer to flatten the Imperial State Crown... it's a lot bigger than the one Colonel Blood tried to pinch.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I now understand the allusion to The Royal Hat:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-40356113

[Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Yes, the thing about the Crown having to go in a different car was a bit weird. It's probably another message that I don't know enough about royal protocol to decode...

Royal Ascot. "How dare you interfere with my race meeting".
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, it appears that HM made a very quick change from a blue outfit for Parliament to a yellow outfit for Ascot. It would surely have taken her much longer to get changed out of all those robes she usually wears, not to mention the discomfort of wearing the Crown in this Heat.

[Biased]

IJ

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
... Though, it's also risky - they could have probably put together a years legislative programme which avoided all the really difficult commitments in their manifesto (so, no additional austerity, no changes to pensions etc) and put in all the things that they'll get cross party support for (fire safety in high rise buildings, increased support for counter-terrorism etc)

They haven't got a mandate to implement their manifesto. They've only got authority to introduce legislation that they think most of the electorate will accept.

The same would apply to Labour if it were to form a minority administration in the present Parliament much though Momentum and their ilk might squeal otherwise.
quote:
... a few by-elections in their favour and the maths of the chamber changes considerably.

If.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
... Though, it's also risky - they could have probably put together a years legislative programme which avoided all the really difficult commitments in their manifesto (so, no additional austerity, no changes to pensions etc) and put in all the things that they'll get cross party support for (fire safety in high rise buildings, increased support for counter-terrorism etc)

They haven't got a mandate to implement their manifesto. They've only got authority to introduce legislation that they think most of the electorate will accept.

The same would apply to Labour if it were to form a minority administration in the present Parliament much though Momentum and their ilk might squeal otherwise.

We can bandy around the difference between "mandate" and "authority" - I've seen no indication that the current Conservative Party leadership would know a mandate if tripped over it. But, that's an aside.

I generally agree with you. Without getting a majority of seats the Tories have been given a get-out from implementing what were clearly unpopular ideas. So, they can go for what they think will be most widely accepted policies.

Of course, what the Tories think will be the most widely accepted policy ideas and what Labour think will be the most widely accepted policies will differ, and the views of the SNP/PC/Greens/NI parties will be different again. There is going to be a set of policies on which Conservative and Labour are in broad agreement, and another set where the Conservatives and other parties are in agreement (probably a very small set where everyone agrees).

My point was that if the Conservatives concentrate on those policies where there is cross-party agreement that these would be widely supported by the electorate in this Queens Speech then there would be a reasonable chance that they might get sufficient cross-party support (even by abstention) to get it voted through. As they progress through their term they will a) start exhausting that list of policies which are agreed will be widely accepted by the electorate and b) the time since the election will make the question of whether something would be acceptable harder to judge - and hence they're less likely to get the cross party support to get a Queens Speech voted through.

At the moment all the parties are aware that the views of Brenda from Bristol are very common, and another general election this year will go down like a lead balloon with a large portion of the electorate who are likely to punish the party that's seen as causing it to be called. Voting down a Queens Speech (or, even the next budget) just because they have the numbers to do so won't go down well IMO, whereas if a party can vote that down on the basis of a principalled objection to one or more policies that they strongly oppose then their supporters rallying behind them might offset the "not another one" effect. It's a gamble, but the safest course for Mrs May would be to write a Queens Speech that can get enough cross-party support to be voted through, which means ditching a lot of stuff that will raise hackles in the Opposition (which I subsequently see has more or less happened, so no new Grammar Schools etc), and then see how the winds fare when she gets to write the next one.

quote:

quote:
... a few by-elections in their favour and the maths of the chamber changes considerably.

If.
Politics is full of uncertainty. And, one of the ways things may change is through by-elections. Now, I doubt at the moment the Tories would pull any seats back from opposition parties, the optics suggest that it's more likely to swing the other way. But, anything is possible. The fact is that if the GE had returned 2-3 more Conservative seats they probably could have struggled through without feeling the need to sweet-talk the DUP, if there had been 2-3 less Conservative seats then sweet-talking the DUP would still not have given them enough. And, a couple of years is enough time for a few by-elections that could push things either way.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I thought HM the Q looked rather less regal today than Charles-III-in-waiting,

Meme doing the rounds on social media: "Bring Your Child to Work Day".

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Killing me]

O, how I wish I'd thought of that!

IJ

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Traditionally, British voters have tended to punish governments that they feel are 'hanging on' - which May's Tories certainly are. She will remain in office - but barely in power - as long as the opposing factions in her party are more frightened of the other faction gaining power than they are of them all getting dumped in an election.

But an election there will surely have to be; I'll be astonished if there isn't one in October, right after the Party Conferences.

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Posts: 544 | From: Tregaron | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

You would normally expect another election within a year, and you would expect Labour to win. However, these are not normal times, so all kinds of scenarios seem possible. The Tories might regenerate, Labour might fall victim to plotting again. Who knows.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

I thought HM the Q looked rather less regal today than Charles-III-in-waiting,

Meme doing the rounds on social media: "Bring Your Child to Work Day".
[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a new prediction. She will stay through the Brexit negotiations. When she realises what a colossal mess she and the Tories will have made of them (and as the public realises this, the growing public anger) she will resign, leaving the country in an even worse mess than it already was, and no one to easily pick up the pieces. This will cause the Brexit-related economic weaknesses to turn into catastrophes, and she will blame the fact she wasn't given an overwhelming majority rather than her own incompetence. We will have an election that Labour will win by a landslide, but with a Tory-negotiated Brexit that forces the whole country into a decade long recession, as we have no capital left with anyone who might be minded to help us.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarsmanTJ:
I have a new prediction. She will stay through the Brexit negotiations. When she realises what a colossal mess she and the Tories will have made of them (and as the public realises this, the growing public anger) she will resign, leaving the country in an even worse mess than it already was, and no one to easily pick up the pieces. This will cause the Brexit-related economic weaknesses to turn into catastrophes, and she will blame the fact she wasn't given an overwhelming majority rather than her own incompetence. We will have an election that Labour will win by a landslide, but with a Tory-negotiated Brexit that forces the whole country into a decade long recession, as we have no capital left with anyone who might be minded to help us.

Thank you for this much needed positive outlook!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

quote:
.... and she will blame the fact she wasn't given an overwhelming majority rather than her own incompetence. ...

I don't get this. How does her majority make any difference? She is strong and stable [Ultra confused] .

The meltdown has already begun. She has agreed that thousands of EU people in UK will be given special rights to stay (that's essential, of course). But she has said nothing that I have heard about replacing the thousands who already have left or who will leave in the next two years. We need these people. (And, of course, they need us.)

She cannot be serious about staying a further two years? Can she? [Waterworks]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
... We will have an election that Labour will win by a landslide, but with a Tory-negotiated Brexit that forces the whole country into a decade long recession, as we have no capital left with anyone who might be minded to help us.

What? Another decade long recession?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
as we have no capital left with anyone who might be minded to help us.

Which was one of my thoughts pre-election; the supposedly 'serious' and 'strong and stable' party had done little since the 'Leave' vote, bar prevaricate on a massive scale, and piss off anyone in the EU who might have had good will towards the UK.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
andras
Shipmate
# 2065

- Posted      Profile for andras   Email andras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So May has offered the EU a 'deal' on citizens' rights which falls far short of what she should in decency have given. Typical of her - offer very little, lie about it by claiming that it's a lot, and then prevaricate and refuse to answer questions. Lord, I'm getting to loathe that woman.

And why should anyone trust anything she says? Frankly I wouldn't be inclined to believe her if she were to swear on a pile of Bibles that the earth is round.

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Well, she is a bad liar, where some politicians are good ones. I still don't really understand how her image has shifted in a few weeks from honeymoon to nightmare. I suppose people are in a volatile mood today, febrile maybe a better word.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Well, she is a bad liar, where some politicians are good ones. I still don't really understand how her image has shifted in a few weeks from honeymoon to nightmare. I suppose people are in a volatile mood today, febrile maybe a better word.

I don't think there was ever a honeymoon. Possibly a dirty weekend, but no more than that.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, a one-night stand. I suppose her first speech in Downing St impressed plenty of people, but after that, it all went squish.

Wow, does Corbyn really want to take this pile of poo on? I mean Brexit, Grenfell, austerity, etc. It could wreck Labour as well.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andras:
Lord, I'm getting to loathe that woman.

I'm ahead of you.

quote:
I still don't really understand how her image has shifted in a few weeks from honeymoon to nightmare.

A series of U turns when the campaigning USP was stability, a wooden manner and lack of empathy both in policy and in demeanour. Isn't that enough?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by andras:
Lord, I'm getting to loathe that woman.

I'm ahead of you.

quote:
I still don't really understand how her image has shifted in a few weeks from honeymoon to nightmare.

A series of U turns when the campaigning USP was stability, a wooden manner and lack of empathy both in policy and in demeanour. Isn't that enough?

Not sure. I would say that she's also misjudged the national mood, which is mighty febrile, after terrorist attacks, Grenfell, Brexit, etc.

For example, after the first terrorist attack, I just thought that this is Tory territory, law and order, but it backfired, especially with the awareness of police cuts etc. I think austerity is producing a very bad hangover, and the Tories underestimated this. Whether or not Corbyn was lucky, or has an intuitive ability, dunno.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Corbyn hasn't been all that good at intuitive guessing between 1983 and 2015. I think it's more that he's in the right place at the right time and the moment has come for his ideas. For stability of a political line you can't do much better than Corbyn.

It's easy to try and make political narratives fit deterministic explanations (as I just did). In reality there is probably tremendous stochasticity.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a fair amount of time for Mrs May when she first became PM, but I think a lot of that was sheer relief that she wasn't Dr Fox, Mr Johnson, Mr Gove, Mr Crabbe, Ms Leadsom, or a lengthy period of interregnum. When she had to stand on her own merits, she collapsed in my estimation.

In this I suspect I am not atypical of the voting population.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Corbyn hasn't been all that good at intuitive guessing between 1983 and 2015. I think it's more that he's in the right place at the right time and the moment has come for his ideas. For stability of a political line you can't do much better than Corbyn.

It's easy to try and make political narratives fit deterministic explanations (as I just did). In reality there is probably tremendous stochasticity.

Yes, good points. I think Corbyn has shown resolve under fire, whereas May has buckled. One of those peculiar ironies in politics, he looked so weak. But then if elected, Labour may well make a total mess of it.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

error.

[ 23. June 2017, 12:10: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

andras
Shipmate
# 2065

It now transpires that the vile May actually blocked a unilateral deal to secure the future of EU citizens before she became PM; she was the only cabinet minister to do so. Details here in a Guardian article.

What a nasty piece of work she is.

--------------------
God's on holiday.
(Why borrow a cat?)
Adrian Plass

Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
... We will have an election that Labour will win by a landslide, but with a Tory-negotiated Brexit that forces the whole country into a decade long recession, as we have no capital left with anyone who might be minded to help us.

What? Another decade long recession?
I think from now on we can expect decade-long recessions to come along about once every ten years.

If Labour do win an election this year or in two years' time, they may well mess up. We may have reached a point in our national life from which there are no good outcomes possible for a very long time, whoever is in charge and whatever they do. Personally I think that Corbyn's old-school social democratic policies offer the best chance of a good outcome, but there are no guarantees.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I can never remember the point in the business cycle where Keynesian remedies are appropriate, but you might think, that this is one of them.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
a couple of years is enough time for a few by-elections that could push things either way.

And, those by-elections may not be that far off. Should someone tell the Tories that if they're going to break the election rules they should at least win the election?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016