homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Theresa May to resign, when? (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Theresa May to resign, when?
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wild haggis - excellent.

I was going to say, let us wait until the last king is strangled by the entrails of the last priest, and then I thought, oops, this is the wrong forum for that. It's only a metaphor.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
I'm sticking with my OP prediction.

Your prediction was 'very quickly' after the Queen's speech.

What does that mean?

One month, two, six?

Two months at the most. I think (hope, please) that she will get her Queen's Speech through and then say (privately) 'job done, I can go now'. To leave someone else to clear up all the mess of NI and Brexit.
I was wrong. [Mad] [Mad]

She's still there, doing her own thing for her own people, mucking up the rest of the country, wandering aimlessly through the brexit. That's when she's visible, which isn't all that often it seems to me.
And the media still doing its anti-Corbyn stuff.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a surprise!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rocinante
Shipmate
# 18541

- Posted      Profile for Rocinante   Email Rocinante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As another female prime minister once said, "there is no alternative". Recent polling suggests that any other Tory leader would be (even) less popular with the electorate.

As long as she keeps giving her right-wing Brexit loons everything they want, they'll leave her be. The likliehood of an early general election is, I suspect, receding.

Posts: 384 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What, even the silver tongued Jacob?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if Labour coming out for soft-Brexit improves her position. It means that however much she messes up with the right-wing of her party, they will fear the threat of a general election all the more.

Last polls I know of had Labour at 45, Tories at 39. I would guess the best bet for Tories at the moment would be simply to give it time for the tide to turn.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:

Last polls I know of had Labour at 45, Tories at 39. I would guess the best bet for Tories at the moment would be simply to give it time for the tide to turn.

That was a while ago - this morning (pre Labour announcement, which already seems to be unravelling as Mr Starmer is attacked by backbenchers in his own party who want to leave, and showing what looks like a 1 point Labour:UKIP transfer even then:

Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 42% (-2)
CON: 41% (-)
LDEM: 8% (+1)
UKIP: 4% (+1)
GRN: 1% (-1)

via @YouGov, 21 - 22 Aug

despite it being 42/41 in Labour's favour, that would make the Tories the largest party by 10 seats.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually here's an interesting one:
CON: 42%
LAB: 39%

via @BMGResearch, 07 - 11 Aug

although I'm not sure of BMG's track record...

Essentially, I think the chances of an early election have gone away, and Labour have by no means got the next one in the bag either.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Essentially, I think the chances of an early election have gone away, and Labour have by no means got the next one in the bag either.

As the last result showed us nothing's ever in the bag in politics.

But it does feel as if the current situation is not simmering towards votes of no-confidence and early elections, and if we are into a full 5 year cycle then anything could happen in 5 years. It's a long time, and an eternity in politics.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016