homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Nativity Play   » Scene 11: Wise Men bring gifts (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Scene 11: Wise Men bring gifts
Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

- Posted      Profile for Chief Wise Man   Author's homepage   Email Chief Wise Man   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[camera zooms into badge on trunk of cabbie. Of course ---

it's a Mustang.]

--------------------
incurablyGeeking westwardly; avatar following yonder star.

Posts: 87 | From: East of Yerushalayem; Ur mebbe... | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep

Nativity Play
# 3667

- Posted      Profile for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep   Email Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sees cow duck back inside, bolting the door shut.

What do you mean, everyone's asleep???

Baaaaaaa! Baaaaaaa! Baaaaaaa!

--------------------
I may be just a purple sheep with a funny nose, but ThatsMrJuice 2U!

Posts: 110 | From: The Sheep Shed | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

- Posted      Profile for Chief Wise Man   Author's homepage   Email Chief Wise Man   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Fade-in: CWM edging his way through the crowd, knocking sundry and various with his unweildy package. He suddenly breaks free from the crowd in front of the stable when who should he run into ...? [Confused] ]

--------------------

Posts: 87 | From: East of Yerushalayem; Ur mebbe... | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Cow

Nativity Play
# 3656

- Posted      Profile for The Cow   Email The Cow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<Sees breathless wise {?} man>

Only one of you?! They were expecting more! And how rude to be so late!

You'd better have a good present mate! Leave it on the doorstep.

--------------------
Anybody ever seen a whale in a cow outfit before?

Posts: 41 | From: Stable | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Sheep 3 glares at CWM, lowers head.....]

baaaaaaa

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Posts: 278 | From: lost in a pasture | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

[CWM looks around furtively]

pssst. Phil? WM2? Guys... this is your cue... yer supposed to converge here with me ... ohhhh guyyyysss...

--------------------

The Cow

Nativity Play
# 3656

- Posted      Profile for The Cow   Email The Cow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<taking pity>

I'll let you in if you've got a present for me too, and if you promise not to wake the others.

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

[CWM apparently makes up his mind about something and stops looking around. He straightens up, big package still under arm, cinches his belt, straightens his bonnet and strides forward past sheep and cow to stable door and jerks it open.]

Whaaaa!?

[He is greeted by this < tableau >]

--------------------

The Cow

Nativity Play
# 3656

How do you like Fairy G's painting? Not bad eh? Now where's my present?

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

[The Large Mural of strange group of critters parts to reveal the Holy Family (TM) in restful repose. A beam of light streams down from above ...
[Love]

onto the feeding trough where an infant gurgles and coos. Exhausted parents are laying about in the hay. Assorted animals are hurrying to and fro, cleaning up, oggling the scene, elbowing each other and generally making themselves look foolish.]

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Sheep 3 peeks around the stable door after CWM jerks it open and stares in wonder at these cousins]

Baaaaaaaa

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Nativity Play
# 3667

- Posted      Profile for Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep   Email Rudolph the Red-Nosed Sheep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looks behind him for that strange-looking bus that was following him, wonders where it went.

Anyway, walks into the stable, nose glowing, and foolishly trips over stable cat.

Baaaaaaaa!

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

CWM stands, gobsmacked. Music swells underneath him and he takes slow, hesitant steps forward towards the feeding trough. He holds the large Oval-shaped wrapped package before him as he approaches the aMAZing Jesus.

A honey-cured, hickory smoked Virginia (what else?) ham falls out from underneath his robe. There is a small sticker attached:

"Dear Chief,
Plz give to Baby King.
Luv,
Herdmann family"

Mutters:
Well that should keep until Easter at least...

--------------------

Phil the Wise Guy
Nativity Play
# 3678

- Posted      Profile for Phil the Wise Guy   Email Phil the Wise Guy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With a shriek of ancient hydraulics, the tour bus grinds to a halt outside the stable.

The bus door BANGS open and Phil and WM2 jump out.

PHIL: "Ok, dat radioactive sheep squoze in dere, so dis mus' be da place! <looks at WM2> Now, where's our stuff? Whadda we got to give da lil' baby J?"

"Hey, wait a sec! <snaps fingers> hat if Joe's packin' heat? Not to smart ta jus' boist in dere like some Chi-town stumble bums. Here...."

<Phil rummages around in one of the bus cargo lockers and puts something on. He turns around and WE SEE he's wearing: A ragged Santa hat, a Whitesnake Christmas 1988 tour t-shirt, and carrying a large floppy black bag marked, "Samaritan Sam's Septic Service Supplies."

Phil: "Cheez, what a great idea, eh? Dress up like Santa! Dat way, everyone's cool! I even found a few trinkets for da J man. Let's go!"

Phil and WM2 walk to the stable door, Phil practicing his "HO, HO, HO!"s....

--------------------
So, wheres can I get a drink in dis town? Feels so good ta can dat Kenwritez nice-guy schtick.

Posts: 68 | From: Some burg outside Jerusalem | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

CWM gestures to other WM

Shhhhsssshhh!

--------------------

The Cow

Nativity Play
# 3656

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Wise Man:
Assorted animals are hurrying to and fro, cleaning up, oggling the scene, elbowing each other and generally making themselves look foolish.

Foolish eh? D'you hear that sheeps? And I never elnowed anyonein my life I tell you!

[ 20. December 2002, 01:07: Message edited by: Musical Director ]

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

CWM again, with hesitant steps, approaches the trough and places the package against it. He cocks his head as the baby giggles (and burps) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

[Sheep 3 cringes against the side of the stable. Looks up at the brilliant star which appeared last night...]

Baaaa.

[...and wonders what "Toujours gai" means, but feels strangely comforted and able to deal with all these crazy Wise Men.]

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Passer-by 3

Nativity Play
# 3711

- Posted      Profile for Passer-by 3   Author's homepage   Email Passer-by 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Enters stage right (backwards) unravelling long measuring tape. Exits stage left continuing to unravel the same aforementioned long measuring tape]

--------------------
(W)

Posts: 30 | From: The Wings | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Nativity Play
# 3667

Picks self up after tripping over cat, and then trips over measuring tape.

Baaaaaaa.. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

[Sheep 3, intrigued by the measuring tape, follows Passer-by off stage.]

Baaaa?

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Phil the Wise Guy
Nativity Play
# 3678

- Posted      Profile for Phil the Wise Guy   Email Phil the Wise Guy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Phil the Wise Guy looks at the serene scene before him and slowly approaches the trough, endeavoring not to trip over any of the silly animals.

WM2 follows behind, his eyes glinting brightly as he clutches a bag with the mystic sigil "Tesco" emblazoned on the front.

--------------------
So, wheres can I get a drink in dis town? Feels so good ta can dat Kenwritez nice-guy schtick.

Posts: 68 | From: Some burg outside Jerusalem | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Cow

Nativity Play
# 3656

<Sits down on measuring tape. Falls asleep, snoring gently and dreaming heart-warming dreams.>

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

[CWM starts backing away. As he passes by BVM, he hesitates and a thoughtful expression crosses his face. He puts his hand in his robe pocket and pulls out a small jar. He places it in BVM's lap. and then continues to back out of the stable carefully and reverently.

Camera zooms in on BVM and then onto the object in her lap. It's < a jar of babyfood > certain to fix the burps.

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

[CWM stops to observe the lovely scene before him as his partners-in-cri... er, compadres move forward to bestore their gifts.

CWM feels a feline animal rub up against his leg and reaches down absent-mindedly to scratch kitty between the ears. His fingers encounter something sooner than anticipated. Puzzlement crosses his face. He looks down. He starts.

< Kitty> purrs affectionately.

[ 20. December 2002, 12:04: Message edited by: Musical Director ]

--------------------

Phil the Wise Guy
Nativity Play
# 3678

Phil hsssts! to CWM:

"Are you done yet wit yer Kodak moment? Quit messin' around wit da big kitty and let us have our turn!"

--------------------

Nativity Play
# 3667

Picks self up again, starts nosing around these Wise Men to see if any of them brought any Black Sheep.

Baaaaaa!

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

[CWM stands thoughtfully, pondering the significance of the event. He mutters to himself as he thinks aloud ...]

I wonder what they're going to name him?

[an odd, red-nosed sheep with a radiation warning branded on his backside sidles up to CWM and starts scratching figures in the dirt on the stable floor. CWM watches with growing amazement as the marks develop into <this>.

--------------------

Phil the Wise Guy
Nativity Play
# 3678

Phil looks over CWM's shoulder at the figures scratched in the dust by the radioactive sheep.

"BILL? They're going to name him BILL?"

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

Not comPLETEly sure about this, Phil. But in their language, I think it spells: y'shua. Hmm. God Saves. Funny name to saddle a little kid with, eh? [Eek!]

--------------------

Angel 3

Nativity Play
# 3687

- Posted      Profile for Angel 3   Email Angel 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(To Phil the Wise Guy)
No, sheep can't spell. He means Black. As in beer. Did you bring some - if not... (with a glare at the presumptous Gabriel)
As for you, I have businesses to run, people to be, places to see and so on. "Out without permission" indeed!!

--------------------
The artist usually known as Duo Seraphim

"Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est."

Posts: 76 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angel 3

Nativity Play
# 3687

- Posted      Profile for Angel 3   Email Angel 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(To CWM)

But it's the right name for him, the only name. The other part of it is a title.

--------------------

Phil the Wise Guy
Nativity Play
# 3678

Phil shakes his head sorrowfully.

"Nope, still looks like 'Bill' to me. 'Course, he is da Savior, da Messiah, da Big Paisan from Upstairs, but I woulda thought they woulda gone fer a name like...erm...uhhh...'Vinny'! Yeah, dat's da ticket!

O man...you know how long it's gonna be before she <points sneakered toe at snoring BVM> learns how to make a decent marinara sauce? She's just a kid, so's her ol' man! Kids raisin' kids! Sheesh!

Well, kids or not, He's here and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Phil rummages in the black bag.

"I dint know what to get her, but I got dis great box o' smokes for da kid. Genuwine Cuban Frankincense cigars an alla dat, I was gonna smoke 'em, den I t'ought better of it. <Lays box of cigars at Jesus' feet.> They'll come in handy when he gets married, has kids of his own."

He looks more closely at BJ. "Man, he's gonna get cold!"

Phil pulls out an infant-sized Whitesnake Christmas Tour t-shirt and gently tucks it around the sleeping baby.

He rummages in the bag again, pulls out a folded paper deed and tucks it in Joseph's robe.

"For Joey, me and da boys went in and bought him a lil' woodshop in Nazareth and a set a power toolz. It's only right; he's just startin' out, he should have his own place. Don't worry, no strings and it's clean, da Romans can't trace nuttin' back to him or to us."

"For da Beevem, I just dint know what to get 'er. Den some friends and I found dis mink coat what had...ahh...dropped offa dis speeding truck, see? Too dark to read da name, so what wuz we gonna do? Let a poifectly good coat go ta waste? It's a Myrrh brand coat, supposeda be da best."

Phil gently spreads the coat over the sleeping BVM, who turns, still snoring, and begins to drool a bit.

Phil looks at the sleeping family, pauses a bit, then softly recites: "Glory to God in the highest, and peace on earth to all men."

He pauses for a beat, then whips out an enormous hankie and honks into it.

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

[Sheep 3 stares in awe at the two Wise Men, forgetting even to chew her cud.]

Baaaa-AAA-aaaa

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Angel 3

Nativity Play
# 3687

(Pats Phil on the shoulder)
There, there. It's always the big tough guys who have the mushiest hearts. Thoughtful and well - something has to be done with Joseph after this is over.
(Joseph slumbers on - mouth open, emitting a snore like a Bible Buzzsaw (TM). Curiously, Lavinia slumbers on. What was in that bottle?) His own carpentry shop is a start. Mind you it doesn't come with any sinister connections does it?

Time for a spot of adoration - where are the rest of the presents?

--------------------

Phil the Wise Guy
Nativity Play
# 3678

Phil scratches his head.

"Whaddya mean, 'rest of the presents'? Dis is all I could grab after dodging Herod's goons. I dunno, mebbe Wise Man 2 here has something to contribute?"

Phil glowers meaningfully at WM2.

<aside to Angel>: "I kin get 'em a great deal on some naugahyde furniture, French kitchen blenders and some really spiffy three piece wool robes, straight offa da rack in Milan! Just say da word!"

--------------------

Jedi Knight

Nativity Play
# 3686

- Posted      Profile for Jedi Knight   Email Jedi Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JK enters stage left.

<whispers to Angel 3>

Hi, I see the happy family are getting a little shut-eye. Don't want to wake them up, but just wanted to drop off a couple of gifts. You'll see that BVM gets them, won't you?

Jedi Knight lays gifts of baby wipes, two cute little matching Minnesota Twins baseball onesies, a large diaper bag (with supplies). Then JK hangs above the manger a hand-made quilt embroidered with "Toujours gai" and cats and M_M all over. Obviously a gift of love from someone who loves the Little Lord Jesus.

JK leaves stage right. [Tear]

--------------------
jj says-Don't y'all bad guys be messin' with those babies, now y'hear?

Posts: 61 | From: Fort Misery, Flour-dough | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Nativity Play
# 3667

Rudolph gazes up at the quilt, sheds a tear. [Tear]

Rudolph then curls up next to the manger and goes to sleep.

--------------------

Chief Wise Man

Nativity Play
# 3674

Whispers::

Well, we'll just not clutter up this place anymore.

C'mon Phil and WM2, let's go out and take the tour bus to the nearest Mailboxes, Etc. and we'll drop ship the "rest of the presents" we got at Harrod's to Nazareth. I'm sure the poor mum will want to ponder in her heart the meaning of the gifts given after she's recovered a bit.

All three WPs exunt the stable, leaving the peaceful scene as the animals also bed down for the remainder of the night.

Rudolf, the radioactive sheep shifts against the gift that CWM laid against the trough and wrapping falls away to reveal <this>. A fitting accoutrement for the Prince of Peace.

Cue: soft singing of "Silent Night, Holy Night" by the gathering, hushed and respectful angels.

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

Baaa..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--------------------
jlg the sheep

chief stage manager

Nativity Play
# 3658

- Posted      Profile for chief stage manager   Email chief stage manager   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother Mary:
Aside

Pssst, Chief Stage Manager. Have a look on the props table and see if there are any pressies left lying about there. Some cash, some perfume for me, or even a tube of baby lotion will do. Then get into your postperson outfit and bring them in.

(Just returning from church) Oh yeah, am I late on this one. [Wink] Well, it's never too late. With it being the holiday gift-giving season, I'm sure postpeople are working 24/7, so I can make this delivery...

*gathers rubies, diamonds, Roman coins, musk and lavendar scented oils and perfumes, 2 tubes of zinc oxide baby ointment and beeswax night lights from props table.....puts on postperson cap and walks onstage....:

SORRY
ALL ASLEEP
PLEASE LEAVE GIFTS BY DOOR
AND COME BACK LATER

*Lays gifts in doorway, bows and makes Orthodox sign of the cross three times and exits stage left.

--------------------
The original bessie rosebride.

Posts: 148 | From: stage left amongst the props | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Donkey

Nativity Play
# 3752

- Posted      Profile for Donkey   Email Donkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Donkey comes to the stable. He has been out all night looking at the new star streaking across the sky towards the Southern Cross. He has watched it for a long time now. He doesn't know why, but it makes him sad. He looks to the stable where lies so much joy. Tear tracks run down his face, joy and sadness from the same place. He enters the stable and lies down in the straw as close to the manger as possible.)

--------------------
Little Beast of Burden....ha!
aka Lady A

Posts: 74 | From: 4WD The Swamp | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spare Shepherd

Nativity Play
# 3690

- Posted      Profile for Spare Shepherd   Email Spare Shepherd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile, up in the hills around Bethlehem, the shepherds are with the sheep. The Spare Shepherd is thinking, with awe and reverence, of recent events...

"Bugger.... never meant to give them my best drum-but the other one, the older one from Target Stores (Xmas Special last year). Still at least I have that one left, and can still drum a fetching little ditty for the guys up here on the hillside."

The Spare Shepherd plays a fetching little ditty on the second-best drum from Target Stores (Xmas Special last year).

pa rum pa rum pa pa pa

--------------------
The last time I checked I was Rowen- really!

Posts: 68 | From: A sheeply village near Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Director

Nativity Play
# 3664

- Posted      Profile for Director   Author's homepage   Email Director   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wanders in, nods approvingly at sleeping family; wanders off to dressing room where she continues with present-wrapping session.

--------------------
Miffy

Posts: 109 | From: Her physiotherapist's couch | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mother Mary

Nativity Play
# 3799

- Posted      Profile for Mother Mary   Email Mother Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary wakes momentarily, turns and views a peaceful stable scene. She sees the gifts placed by the manger and ponders these things in her heart.

What on earth....?

Reluctant to disturb the slumber of the babies, her husband, varied animals, and a random angel, she turns over and goes back to sleep, dreaming of strange visitors from distant lands in different time-zones

--------------------
Over 500 posts? No wonder I am exhausted. Wake me in the spring, if you please.(Smudgie)

Posts: 203 | From: Escaped back to real life at last. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baby Jesus

Nativity Play
# 3729

- Posted      Profile for Baby Jesus   Email Baby Jesus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baby Jesus wakes, opens his eyes, and looks at the presents which have appeared while he slept. What's this at his feet? A box of cigars??? Well, he's sure daddy will enjoy them, as he himself is rather too young. Or if daddy's not quick enough, Lavinia is sure to be interested... Resolves to try and keep them hidden from her - for her own good, of course! [Angel]

Looks up at the quilt which someone has hung over the manger, and sees the love which is displayed therein [Smile] [Love]

Almost wishes that someone had remembered to bring some toys as gifts, but then remembers that the traditional gifts are supposed to foretell his future. Tries not to think too much about what these gifts of cigars and t-shirts might suggest...

Remembers the nice jingly bell and its pretty bow which that lovely sheep 3 gave him. Now, where did that go...? Ah, here it is
[Smile]

*jingle*

[Yipee]

*jingle*

[Snore]

--------------------
Few people know that Beethoven's daughter is really the Son of God!

Posts: 13 | From: the manger | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angel 3

Nativity Play
# 3687

(It's very quiet in the stable. The grown ups are still asleep. Baby Jesus has his bell with the beautiful cerulean bow. Lavinia is still sleeping off what ever it was her doting pa slipped into her bottle. It's morning. Angel 3 has had a long night, but then angels don't need much sleep. They also speak Baby. She looks about at the gifts.)

You've done well. The thing is some of those gifts are prophecies of your life to come and some - well, they're gifts of love, pure and simple.

Welcome to this world. You have great things to do here, but not quite yet.

I'm not exactly the mightiest of the Heavenly Host and certainly not the most spiritual. Frivolous and rather venal would be closer to the mark.

You will grow and learn. One day you will take up your mission here and it will end in pain. But triumph lies beyond that pain and great joy.

<*jingle*>

Yes, it will work out gloriously. Incidentally, if I do find a cure for your stepfather's extraordinary snoring, I'll be straight back here with it. "Waking" and "the dead" spring to mind. So here is a present from me.
( She produces a soft woollen cap and a pair of earmuffs. She puts them on Baby Jesus and then quietly slips away to stand guard outside.)

--------------------

Assorted Strings

Nativity Play
# 3652

- Posted      Profile for Assorted Strings   Email Assorted Strings   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<Leaving the strings behind, Assorted Strings picks up a flute instead, and gently plays Fields of Gold.>

--------------------
kingsfold's alter ego....

fiddling, plucking and strumming

Posts: 53 | From: the orchestra pit | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
angel 5

Nativity Play
# 3696

- Posted      Profile for angel 5   Email angel 5   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
the littlest angel goes up and kisses Jesus gently...
and then stands looking up at assorted strings, with tears in her eyes...
she also kisses the evil twin. cos she doesn't think she's that evil at all...

[Tear]

--------------------
and all the angels sang for him, the bells of heaven rang for him
for a boy was born, king of all the world
----
sophs

Posts: 38 | From: in a cattle shed | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Narrator

Nativity Play
# 3680

- Posted      Profile for Narrator     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wise men have come
Their gifts to bestow.
Thought some of them were
Really quite slow.

Lacking a star
A sheep had to lead
It showed them the way
Which they did sore need.

Its fleece was deep mauve
Its nose very red
But it showed them
The way to head.

When they arrived
Helped by the sheep
The holy babe
Was fast asleep.

Some gifts they left
With th’heavenly host.
They rest they’re going
To send by post.

--------------------
Chapelhead

Posts: 90 | From: Prompt corner | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  New poll  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016