homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was indeed tempted to pop at least one of twins in my suitcase.

I can highly recommend all Shipmates go for a restorative stay chez WW & the mob.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Next time, take a bigger suitcase (or two!)...

Given The State Of The Western World, Kerala sounds a Good Place To Be. My Auntie Sylvia hails from there, so that proves it.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
So how was the steak, O gastronomically reporting Piglet?

I'm delighted to report that it was very excellent indeed. The deal was that for $19 (about £11) you had a choice of soup or salad for a starter and your pick of the steaks on their menu (6 oz filet mignon, 10 oz striploin or 12 oz rib-eye, which would normally cost $27-29 on their own) with a choice of potatoes and veggies.

I had a v. good Caesar salad followed by the striploin, which was beautifully flavoured and excellently cooked.

D. had the soup (roasted onion and pesto, also v. good) and for perhaps the second time in all the 35-odd years we've been eating out together, he too had a steak - the filet mignon - which he thoroughly enjoyed.

With a bottle of very nice Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon, the bill came to about $80 (about £46); we'll certainly be going back - and next time I'm having the big one ... [Big Grin]

The restaurant is called Sam Snead's (it's part of a golf club complex) and is actually one of a chain, but the only one in Canada - the rest are all in the USA, mostly Florida. I don't know why they picked Fredericton for their only Canadian outlet, but I'm jolly glad they did. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds both good and very reasonable (salivates).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK so this week has not worked out as expected. Where I should be sleeping tonight is in my booked bed at Port Charlotte on Islay, having spent last night at Lochranza on Arran.

What happened was we arrived on Arran and after watching my daughter struggle to breathe, her lips swell, a rash appear on her face and her demonstrate all the symptoms of anaphylaxis when already full of heavy dose antihistamine tablets, I decided to get her back to mainland and away from whatever was triggering the reaction - I suspect the traces of shellfish in the air on the beaches. Of the three and half hours on Arran, she only enjoyed the hour on the bus across the centre where we saw a golden eagle.

On the way back she received an email informing her that the student accommodation¹ were moving new people into her flat from tomorrow, so instead of booking a couple of nights in the Highlands away from the coast, we have spent today coming back down from Glasgow, arranging a studio flat and packing up to move out tomorrow.

¹ she has been living in an empty flat as they could not provide a studio flat to accommodate the steadily deteriorating allergic reactions, and have now gone back on that arrangement she doesn't share. I am writing emails with buzz words around accommodation of disability. I haven't yet quoted Equality Rights Act 2010, but I am about to.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quoting legislation at people who should know better is always good fun. Go for it CK.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good grief, Curiosity, that's awful. I hope the Kitten is feeling better.

What would the accommodation people have done if you weren't able to get back? [Mad]

Good luck blinded them with science.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She's moved now, into a studio flat, and lots of my muscles are telling me they have been working today. l would have preferred that getting the piles of stuff down from the previous flat had not been so rapid - book cab and agreed to arrive almost immediately - and this flat wasn't on the first floor. I had to heft the box of kitchen stuff up the fairly narrow steep stairs step by step, rather than carry it up.

The current discussion is a request to the previous landlord to refund the rent for the next 12 weeks on the grounds that she had to move as they were no longer making provision for a deteriorating disabling condition. These student accommodation do their darnedest not to refund anything, which is why I'm using the requirement to make suitable provision under the Equal Rights Act 2010, which is not legislation they can avoid.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crikey, CK, that puts any of my minor quibbles into perspective! Hope the Kitten is going to be OK in her new place.

The minor quibble of which I speak is a state of pissed-offness occasioned by the car-licensing authorities in New Brunswick. The Pigletmobile was due to be re-registered (car registration is provincial, so you need to re-register your car in a new province), so D. went to the appropriate office to sort it out. Having observed that you can have more-or-less what you want as a number here (they call them "vanity plates") as long as it's not more than 7 characters including spaces, he asked if we could have BS 2852, a "cherished" Orkney number that's been in my family since they became fashionable in the early 1970s, and for which we have the front (white) plate. The girl in the office told him this would be possible, but we'd just have to wait a few weeks. Yesterday he got a letter saying we couldn't have it because it had (and I quote) "negative connotations".

[Mad]

Now I'm not completely brainless; on this side of the Pond the letters BS may have somewhat negative connotations, but surely they could exercise their solitary brain-cell to work out that that isn't what we're getting at?

We might try and get ORKNEY, although I'm so cross I'm tempted to ask them for BOLLOX.

[Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Thanks for the best wishes Piglet.

She should be OK for as long as she's signed the contract. She originally discounted these studio flats because they have fairly steep stairs - converted from a Victorian terrace - and the distance from Uni is longer than she can manage on a bad day. This time of year, when it's warmer, her joints* are better and she should be able to cope.

There are lots of nice things about her room - the view is lovely and it gets the morning sun, plus it's much quieter than her previous flat. Also there is a (free) washing machine and tumble drier half a landing away which means laundry stops being such a chore. We moved a laundry bag and put two loads through yesterday and this morning.

I'm just hoping she gets the rent on the previous place refunded and I don't have to get more enthusiastic than drafting emails. To be honest, I hope that the area manager will show the email to the lawyers who will say the cheapest route will to be to pay up and hope we shut up.

* she's another Ehlers-Danlos (hypermobility) sufferer - the allergies are often linked to the mutation that causes the collagen problems.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

That sounds promising - especially the laundry bit!

When we were living in a flat waiting for the former Château Piglet to sell, the laundry (which wasn't free) was in the basement, two-and-a-half floors away from our flat. When I went down to transfer the load from washing-machine to dryer and realised on arrival that I'd left the coins on the kitchen counter, there was swearing ... [Mad]

The new château is all on one level*, and laundry is a breeze. [Smile]

* It's the first time I've ever lived in a house without stairs; I thought it would take a bit of getting used to, but it didn't really.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love Himself and Herself and I completely adore the kids...

..but the silence when they all go out for the day is just magical!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The bluetits are back most of every day, now, and go for a fat feeder laced with meal worms and some fat balls ditto. They have tried the seeds which are advertised on the bag as attracting them, but generally avoid them.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was playing at a Pentecost praise this afternoon and we had quite a few people from others churches. MotherinElmet vaguely recognised one woman. It turns out that she was the midwife who delivered me. That was a bit unexpected!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
... That was a bit unexpected!

I suppose Mother-in-Elmet had been expecting it for some time ... [Big Grin]

I'll see myself out.

We did quite a brave thing this morning - instead of the usual three services (8 a.m. said BCP Eucharist, 10 a.m. Choral Eucharist and 11:45 a.m. Worship Service) we had just one service - a modern-words Eucharist - with both the choir and the band taking part, and held it outdoors, under the trees that line the drive up to the cathedral.

The Almighty was quite obliging regarding the weather - although it was only 11°, there was hardly any wind and it didn't rain, so the electronic wizardry that makes the band work didn't go "phut".

Afterwards there were hot-dogs and lemonade, and altogether it was quite a nice do.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Intrepid Grandson and his parents came for the weekend, which was lovely [Overused] They brought with them a little photobook I'd made for Youngest after a day out at a hill climb - he'd handled the programme with such great care for a 16-month-old, looking intently at the pictures and pointing at the cars, that I thought he could be trusted with a non-board book.

He loves it because it has pictures of him and his family in it. He loves it so much that they have to hide it, or he would take it Everywhere with him [Roll Eyes] He would even take it in the bath with him [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

In fact he was so Thoroughly Put Out about not being allowed this simple pleasure on Saturday that he screamed inconsolably for a good ten minutes while three of us attempted to wash his dinner out of his hair, and the resulting detritus from the other end [Help]

Unintended consequences, anyone?

Mrs S, who always fancied being a children's author

[Killing me]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A family of starlings moved in on the fat feeder, two adults and two juveniles who needed to be fed, adopting a begging posture. Then they went off and brought in their cousins and finished it. I have now managed to get a new feeder inside a squirrel proof device which the tits know how to use, so they should get the share that is theirs.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I haven't seen any squirrels round our way. Not that we don't get them here - the park round the Cathedral has dozens of them - but our house is just far enough away from the nearby trees that they don't seem to be in evidence.

We're finding that if we leave the feeder to get more-or-less completely empty, the birds will start to eat the seeds that they've chucked out on to the rail and the floor of the deck. It still needs to be filled about once a day though - greedy wee blighters! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

One of the sites I work at, and where I was yesterday and today, is in Barking, just around the corner from where the arrests were made at the weekend. The quickest route to the shops for food at lunchtime is past the cordoned off area, complete with police presence and film crews. I am sure I was caught on camera at lunchtime moving fast on the opposite side of the road. Going home, we tried to let everyone out reasonably early as the other route out and quicker way to the station was equally cordoned off with police presence. It's going to be interesting getting into work this morning.

The situation wasn't helped by a colleague in bits all over everyone because one of the terrorists had been a neighbour growing up. It was inevitable that someone either knew a victim or a terrorist.

In other news I was at a BBC recording last night for a couple shows called Andy Hamilton Sort of Remembers, which was brilliant, definitely worth listening out for when it's broadcast. (From Drop the Dead Donkey, Outnumbered and the rest.)

[ 07. June 2017, 06:59: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The starlings have sussed the squirrel proof feeder, and are now mounting an attack on the chicken wire I wound over it, after rescuing it from where they first dropped the whole thing on the ground, leaving a few holes for the tits. The juveniles are pulling at the mesh! (Or possibly at the bits of weed stuck in it.)
I don't see this fat lasting a day.
One has to admire the intelligence, though, in those tiny skulls.

[ 07. June 2017, 12:52: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, determination, anyway!

But it is always entertaining and educational to watch Creation at work - I am gratified to see that a recent replanting of our church flower-bed (near the main door) is encouraging bees of various sorts.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

They got the feeder down again, and I have now suspended it from old washing line and wrapped the wire round better. The tits are doing better and will eat at the same time as the starlings are trying to work out a new way of getting in. And they are threatened, too. (Surprisingly.)

Our local church keeps needing bees got out of it - there's a nest in the wall somewhere, and some come out the wrong side, and then wear themselves out against the window.

[ 07. June 2017, 18:35: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
In other news I was at a BBC recording last night for a couple shows called Andy Hamilton Sort of Remembers, which was brilliant, definitely worth listening out for when it's broadcast. (From Drop the Dead Donkey, Outnumbered and the rest.)

Thanks for that - I'll look out for it.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We bought a bird-bath yesterday to go with the feeder, assuming that the birdies need a wee drink to go with their seeds. Unfortunately I don't think we really put it in the best place (on the deck below where the feeder is), because the seeds that they chuck over the side are just settling in the water.

Slight re-think in order, methinks.

In other news, it's currently 25° and gloriously sunny (and forecast to go up to 29° tomorrow [Eek!] ), and we're just about to research a Greek restaurant that's been recommended by two separate people. I love Greek food when I'm in the right mood for it (especially when they have lamb, which is my favourite thing), and a sunny evening seems like as good a time as any.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Aren't children horrible?

We had a visit last night from V, a neighbour, and as he was leaving I walked downstairs with him and Boy Twin [10+ months] was sort of demanding my attention so I picked him up and was holding him when Girl Twin [similarly 10+ months] decided to demand some attention too and pulled on my lunghi [sarong]

...and my lunghi fell to the floor!

[Eek!]

...and I wasn't wearing undies!

[Hot and Hormonal]

...and my kurta top wasn't quite long enough to cover the essentials!

[Hot and Hormonal]

...and the whole family was there!

[Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

There was much raucous laughter...

...and perhaps a little blush from yours truly, not normally body shy.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops WW, but at least they aren't likely to say in a loud voice, when they are a bit older, how much they like your nipples.
We're off on holiday tomorrow. I'll be really glad to get out of the country and avoid all the election aftermath stuff.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Enjoy your holiday, Sarasa - but, sadly, the election aftermath will still be there when you get back (unless you're planning on a ten-year break.... [Eek!] ).

IJ

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, dear, at least you were wearing a top (for once)!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

WW, it doesn't usually bother you when you're doing your rain-dance ... [Devil]

I'm just off to the Cathedral barbecue; the sun is shining and it's 31° ( [Eek!] ) but at least the humidity isn't too high.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I live 8000 kms away and I no longer qualify for an ex-pat vote but I was still awake early watching my Tablet for the results to roll in - now I'm shattered but can't think of anyone else to blame.

<text deleted as being completely unsuited to All Saints and I don't want the Hosts calling me on it.>

In other news the twins will be a year old in July so I have been designated official photographer to take some shots prior to the event - as my eyesight is still not wonderful this could be, erm, interesting. If I come up with anything worth seeing I may well post it in Facebook for the delectation and delight of those who know me there.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need a holiday, really, really bad. On account of stupid French rules about how you basically don’t get any holidays during your first year in a job I haven’t had more than a week off in almost two years.

As a result of the above, my shoulders have been around my ears for ages and finally I got to the point where I could hardly move. Last night I went to see an osteopath, discovered that my entire trapezius muscle was completely frozen and the nice lady successfully completely unblocked it with her magic manipulations.

I am perfectly aware this might be the placebo effect but if so, it’s a really, really effective placebo so it’s working for me at the minute [Big Grin] . I'm not crippled anymore!! [Yipee]

Still need a holiday tho.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First day back at work after Sandemaniac's Dad died, and I'm actually glad I went back in. [Eek!] Probably because large chunks of the job involve lots of re-reading and re-checking data, which means I have to think about that instead of other stuff.

Home alone at the mo, and I need to go refill the bird feeder. As soon as I do so the sparrows will descend and do their best to empty it of seeds. Then the starlings will try to bully them off, and the jackdaws will nip in to see what's happening. Endless amusement watching them.

Piglet - I know what you mean about placing bird baths. We have a tray on the feeder stand which is meant for water. Unfortunately it started out just below the seed-holder. First time it was filled up it looked more like porridge 10 min later [Smile]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We've done a bit of re-jigging and put the bird-bath in the corner of the deck and the feeder a couple of feet along the rail from it. Now when the grackles tip out the seeds they don't like*, they land on the rail or the floor of the deck, where some of the smaller birds come and pick them up.

* at least that's what I assume they're doing - it's not that they don't eat anything, but they don't half chuck it about!

In other news, it's gone down to 13° and is chucking it down with rain - I got soaked re-filling the feeder this morning. If you don't like Canadian weather, just wait for a bit ... [Big Grin]

As we haven't got the house computer or TV set up yet, I didn't stay up to find out the election results, but D. was in his office until the wee small hours and I happened to be awake when he came in and told me what had happened.

Not quite sure what to make of it all (and certainly not without getting unsaintly and incurring the aforementioned Hostly Wrath™). [Devil]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Those of us on this side of the pond aren't quite sure what to make of it all, either.

[Disappointed]

Sunshine is forecast for tomorrow, so a bit of garden-tidying at Our Place might cheer me up!

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was a beautiful sunny day here today (high of 22°, which was just nice). Not so sure about tomorrow - they're forecasting 32° with a Humidex of 37.

[Help]

I've been a busy piglet today: we sang for a funeral in the morning, went for lunch with a few of the choir and then sang for a wedding in the afternoon. I was getting a bit antsy at the wedding: it was due to start at 1:30, and I'd booked to get my hair cut at 3:15, thinking that would be plenty of time. It didn't allow for the bride being about 15 minutes late (a rare occurrence here) or the homily (from a clergyman who was some relation to the bride) taking 20 minutes. [Roll Eyes] I did make it in time, but was beginning to wonder ...

We're having a couple of friends round for supper tomorrow evening, so when I got home I made a batch of bread, dismantled a chicken that's going to be part of the paella that'll be the main course, made stock from the bones and made some chocolate mousse for pudding.

Everything's done except the paella itself, which doesn't really take too long (and is best done closer to the time anyway), and breadsticks to go with the starter (charcuterie bought from the market this morning and pâté that I made last night).

quite organised piglet [Angel]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I came in from a concert on Thursday night (election day) to hear the exit poll and the first few results come in, which was fatal as I then stayed up listening until 2am. I am still not managing on 3 hours sleep after shingles, so I missed Friday's and Saturday's theatre. Friday because I knew I'd fall asleep in the theatre, and snoring through a performance is not a good look.

Thursday's concert was Made in the Great War which was brilliant.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Would Quite Organised Piglet like to come over into Macedonia...er...I mean, England, and help us?

We could do with some Sensible People.....

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I don't know that I'd be much good at running the country - apart from anything else, even my own finances are a mystery to me, so the place would probably have an Icelandic Moment™ within the first week ...

[Confused]

I may be organised for this evening, but several people have asked me if I'm packed for my jaunt over the Pond, and my answer, as it usually is in these situations, is "good God no - I'm not leaving until tomorrow!".

[Killing me]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O well - no harm in asking!

Happy jaunting, anyway.

IJ

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We had a very nice evening with our friends last night, the food all went down very nicely and they were very taken with the new Château Piglet.

Packed now, and heading off to Halifax, Nova Scotia to have a look round the city (we've only ever been to the airport before) before my flight goes tomorrow night.

Be good* while I'm away. [Smile]

* everything is, of course, relative ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Party!!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Shortly after 3 pm, I spotted an avian dogfight drifting over the village. A buzzard was "making lazy circles in the sky" while a crow was continually dive bombing it and occasionally grasping at it as it went. I took a number of pictures, though they were really out of range for sharp definition, until they drifted over the house and out of sight. The crow was very determined. The buzzard did not seem bothered in the slightest.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

How odd (or is it?)! What was the crow trying to achieve?

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I assume the crow was defending its territory, possibly its nest. One does not mess around with crows, even if one is a larger bird.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's pretty common behaviour - I've seen crows mobbing red kites a number of times recently.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, birds are indeed very territorial - I hadn't thought of that aspect of the affair.

In other news, the bottom right-hand corner of the UK seems set to enjoy some fine, warm weather this week. Having recently purchased Large Quantities Of Paint for the exterior of the episcopal palace, all I need now are Stamina, and Strength Of Mind, to apply the said paint.

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May the Bishop's finger / round the Bishop's brush / 's long as the weather holds / to the painting rush.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just checking in because I heard there is a big fire in London. Everyone ok out there?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hugal and I are fine, fortunately it's not too near where we live.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This fire is appalling, the casualty list potentially lengthy, and one which quite clearly could have been prevented. They need our prayers bigtime.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016