homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » The 10 Commandments (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The 10 Commandments
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
And please feel free to exempt me from Bede's request for not automatically assuming the worst intentions. Let's not kid ourselves.

I wasn't. After all, this is what I said:

quote:
You might try to give some of us the benefit of the doubt when attributing motives or intent. Please. (Emphasis added)
Every St. George needs his dragon.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Pixxie Styx:
I don't find cocktail party conversation interesting, so that was a bad parallel to draw.

As The Bede's American Successor tried to explain, I used the cocktail party analogy just meaning any sort of social situation where you are new and don't know the other people.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... As I said, the overall tone of this community is one of sarcasm. Not all fools on this ship are disrespectful, but the majority of them are. ... I hope you can adjust your attitude towards me, its very unpleasant.

Given that there are over 12,000 Shipmates, I sure hope you aren't holding your breath until we all do. OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
I find you [RooK] to be one of the most despicable people here yet.

Flattery will get you everywhere. I'm not sure when someone last said something so nice about RooK.
RooK gets all the love around here.
[Roll Eyes]
______

Pixxie Styx - I'm going to give it a shot here.

You keep saying you don't like people's tones or what they say or their attitudes. this is not how to win friends and influence people. You don't have to like it. We're not here to please you.

You may notice the Ship has over 13,000 members. that's a lot. if you leave, we have others to take your place, don't worry. it's a big world.

Meanwhile, your overall tone is very defensive and you seem to think you get to make your own rules of the game around here.

so let me be clear:
  • if you want to play, you play our way.
  • we are not all nice people, and most of us don't give a shit what your personal crises are. We have our own.
  • If you want to discuss the moral implications of things, you're in the right place. but don't expect a pass. Shipmates expect you to defend your side of an issue. That part that says "robust debate" is not a joke. if you can't hack it, stay out of the deep issues.
  • We don't care if you are sensitive. We're all sensitive. Along the way we decided that it was worth growing a thicker skin so we could grow intellectually and spiritually by engaging with eachother.
  • you haven't even begun to see offensive and attack mode yet. see number 2. screaming "you're not playing nice" will get you mocked. We assume you are an adult and can hack it and don't need a kindergarten teacher to hold your hand. You want to succeed in the modeling world, you need to toughen up, child.
  • on the off chance that you are hoping to go for shock value here with the issues you bring up - we have valued Shipmates who are more shocking than that before they get out of bed in the morning.
my suggestion is you take the chip off your shoulder, quit worrying about what other people are doing/saying/believing/archiving, and actually try and learn something.

the bottom line is, you will not change us this way. if you want, we may very well change you - and you also have a positive impact on the Ship as well. But not like this.

Good Luck.

[ 28. September 2007, 20:29: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a Christian.

ITTWACW.

Has there ever been a Hell-call based upon a thread in Styx?

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Your question displays an attitude I like dislike immensely. As I said, the overall tone of this community is one of sarcasm....

If you haven't found any discussions or Shipmates to your liking, perhaps the Ship isn't the right forum for you. There's terrific variety here, from Fluffy Bunny to...uh...Hellhost.

If sarcasm is an issue, then you should probably stay away from Hell -- and, perhaps, the Styx (despite the fact that it's your family board).

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

- Posted      Profile for Miss Pixxie Styx   Author's homepage   Email Miss Pixxie Styx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:
Your judgment of me is wrong and I refuse to engage with you.

Too late. You already did engage RooK with this post.

Please make up your mind. Are you here to engage other people or the enrage them? Or, just to try to confuse us by saying you won't do something and then do it?

If someone chooses to get enraged with me, that is not my problem, that is their problem.
Posts: 54 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

- Posted      Profile for Miss Pixxie Styx   Author's homepage   Email Miss Pixxie Styx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
quote:

Flattery will get you everywhere. I'm not sure when someone last said something so nice about RooK.
RooK gets all the love around here.
[Roll Eyes]
______

Pixxie Styx - I'm going to give it a shot here.

You keep saying you don't like people's tones or what they say or their attitudes. this is not how to win friends and influence people. You don't have to like it. We're not here to please you.

You may notice the Ship has over 13,000 members. that's a lot. if you leave, we have others to take your place, don't worry. it's a big world.

Meanwhile, your overall tone is very defensive and you seem to think you get to make your own rules of the game around here.

so let me be clear:
  • if you want to play, you play our way.
  • we are not all nice people, and most of us don't give a shit what your personal crises are. We have our own.
  • If you want to discuss the moral implications of things, you're in the right place. but don't expect a pass. Shipmates expect you to defend your side of an issue. That part that says "robust debate" is not a joke. if you can't hack it, stay out of the deep issues.
  • We don't care if you are sensitive. We're all sensitive. Along the way we decided that it was worth growing a thicker skin so we could grow intellectually and spiritually by engaging with eachother.
  • you haven't even begun to see offensive and attack mode yet. see number 2. screaming "you're not playing nice" will get you mocked. We assume you are an adult and can hack it and don't need a kindergarten teacher to hold your hand. You want to succeed in the modeling world, you need to toughen up, child.
  • on the off chance that you are hoping to go for shock value here with the issues you bring up - we have valued Shipmates who are more shocking than that before they get out of bed in the morning.
my suggestion is you take the chip off your shoulder, quit worrying about what other people are doing/saying/believing/archiving, and actually try and learn something.

the bottom line is, you will not change us this way. if you want, we may very well change you - and you also have a positive impact on the Ship as well. But not like this.

Good Luck.

You have surpassed the host of hell in your vileness. Am I allowed to say STFU up here or will I get banned?
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If someone chooses to get enraged with me, that is not my problem, that is their problem.

In the same way, if you choose to be annoyed or irritated with others, or to find what they say disrespectful or unpleasant, that is not their problem, that is your problem.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miss Styx, I'm starting to think that you want to be banned, and have a bet on to see if you can manage the feat before hitting Shipmate status.

It strikes me as a rather sad use of your time, but you know what works best for you.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
quote:
Your question displays an attitude I like dislike immensely. As I said, the overall tone of this community is one of sarcasm....

If you haven't found any discussions or Shipmates to your liking, perhaps the Ship isn't the right forum for you. There's terrific variety here, from Fluffy Bunny to...uh...Hellhost.

If sarcasm is an issue, then you should probably stay away from Hell -- and, perhaps, the Styx (despite the fact that it's your family board).

Ross

Yes, I am quiet sure the Ship might not be the correct forum for me. As I stated, considering the person who referred me here tried to manipulate my priest, I am pretty sure it is not. I will give the private forum a go that she referred me to, and if that does not work out, I will try to leave this Ship alone.
Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Miss Styx, I'm starting to think that you want to be banned, and have a bet on to see if you can manage the feat before hitting Shipmate status.

It strikes me as a rather sad use of your time, but you know what works best for you.

Ross

You are a gambler. I am asking if I can tell someone to STFU up or not. I did not see anything about that in the 10 Commandments. I clearly stated I would not post here if it was not the right fit. I suspect the community is too large for me. I do not do good in large communities, nor does any mentally gifted person. I need a private, supportive environment. Please answer my question as to whether or not I can tell someone to STFU without getting banned. Thank you.
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I will give the private forum a go that she referred me to

You might want to PM the host of the private board you're considering joining, and see if they'll be willing to give you a go when you reach Shipmate status.

And you're welcome to tell someone to STFU in Hell. Not in Styx.

[ 28. September 2007, 22:41: Message edited by: Josephine ]

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh go on then, let's get real and go to the right place.

Comet, Rook .... it's coming your way [Devil]

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

Oh, and look! Triple Tiara has opened a thread in Hell just for you! It gives you a place to say STFU to all the folks who don't know that they need to be kind and supportive to a mentally gifted person like you.

--------------------

Miss Pixxie Styx
Shipmate
# 12956

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:
I will give the private forum a go that she referred me to

You might want to PM the host of the private board you're considering joining, and see if they'll be willing to give you a go when you reach Shipmate status.

And you're welcome to tell someone to STFU in Hell. Not in Styx.

Once again you assume that I have not done so already and make a fool of yourself. Thank you for answering my question. I request this thread be sent to hell. Am I allowed to do that without violating the 10 Commandments?
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's already there waiting for you. See post above.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I suspect the community is too large for me. I do not do good in large communities, nor does any mentally gifted person...

I hear you, hon! I've always had that problem, too.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

ITTWACW.

yep. Pyx_e and Ancient Mariner (I think Pyx_e was the one called) but that very day there was like, 4 or 5. oh ye of the short memory.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
You have surpassed the host of hell in your vileness. Am I allowed to say STFU up here or will I get banned?

Hey RooK! Neener! [Razz]

Pix - I'm a Hell Host as well.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet [Overused]

Yeah, c'mon Pixxie Styx, let us have a hard-ball game of WDYYB

(btw, making shipmate status does not guarantee automatic right of entry to private boards)

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Oh go on then, let's get real and go to the right place.

Comet, Rook .... it's coming your way [Devil]

I was about to do my first Hell call. Damn you! [Biased]

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

quote:
quote:
quote:

ITTWACW.

yep. Pyx_e and Ancient Mariner (I think Pyx_e was the one called) but that very day there was like, 4 or 5. oh ye of the short memory.
You're the one that has to read them, not me.

[ 28. September 2007, 23:00: Message edited by: The Bede's American Successor ]

--------------------

—Ezekiel 16.49

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
What in the name of Satan's left nut does any of this have to do with the 10Cs? If you don't have a question about the 10Cs, go find another thread to puke on.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

So right. He lives for this sort of thing. [Devil]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read the exchange about C9. Are there any types of sites (aside from obscene ones) that you don't want advertised, even in sigs? Some forums don't take kindly to other forums being advertised, for instance. The forum I linked to usually tries to stay away from things that aren't work-safe, but I can't guarantee that. Would the link in my sig (or any other issues with the sig) be a problem?

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sha_Sha:
Would the link in my sig (or any other issues with the sig) be a problem?

My opinion is hardly any sort of guarantee, but the link in your sig is pretty tame. I can't imagine that it would cause any problems.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We certainly don't have any problems with links to other discussion boards. It's hardly as though we're insecure and think our Shipmates will find that A_N_Other_Christian_Board.com is much better than the Ship and desert us.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's certainly a comfort to know the Ship's H&As aren't sarky, insecure paranoids.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
It's certainly a comfort to know the Ship's H&As aren't sarky, insecure paranoids.

No, we're sarky, secure paranoids.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sha_Sha:
Would the link in my sig (or any other issues with the sig) be a problem?

I can't see a problem with the content, but I am probably not the only person on the web who wouldn't usually click a link which gives only an oblique clue of what might be on the other side.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm at work and just clicked on that link - ninguno problemo for me. Also, I'm delighted to hear that the H&As are so secure.

tangent//
I was diverted by the preceding posts in this thread, and the tragic saga of the mentally gifted Miss Pixxie Styx. I was distraught to find that Triple Tiara's Hell-call thread seems to have shuffled off this mortal coil; does anybody know if it still exists in some archival netherworld? Or perhaps it failed to successfully gestate, and its atoms were returned to the universal pool of creation by
quote:
one of the most despicable people here
or his consort who
quote:
surpassed the host of hell in (her) vileness
I note that Miss Styx has not graced us with her presence since that day.
//end tangent

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Merry Christmas.

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Merry Christmas.

Many thanks. Most interesting and enlightening.
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm interested in posting a link about a guy who's doing sort of an independent Mystery Worshipper project. He's anonymously visiting a different place of worship every week for a year and blogging about his spiritual experiences and the styles of worship he encounters.

However, I was afraid that by linking to a blog (or a newspaper article about said blog) that I'd be breaking the commandment about advertising other websites. What say ye, Hosts?

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
I'm interested in posting a link about a guy who's doing sort of an independent Mystery Worshipper project. He's anonymously visiting a different place of worship every week for a year and blogging about his spiritual experiences and the styles of worship he encounters.

However, I was afraid that by linking to a blog (or a newspaper article about said blog) that I'd be breaking the commandment about advertising other websites. What say ye, Hosts?

If the link is a germane part of a post, either continuing or starting a discussion, it's totally fine. As an opening post just saying, "Look HERE!" - that's what might come across as advertising and get closed by a Host.

Alternatively, there are virtually no restrictions for links in signatures.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bump

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going way back to the start of the thread, I thought suicides dyed by their own hands? [Big Grin]

eta - oops, sorry. I got caught up in Miss Ps's posts, and forgot it was al about the 10 Cs. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 10. November 2010, 15:12: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bump

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

quote:
Originally posted by Gill B:
It is worth bearing in mind that the British actor William Roache successfully sued for thousands of pounds (I think it was about 50K but I may have misremembered) for being described as 'boring' by the British press. What makes it particularly ironic is that it was actually the character that he plays (Ken Barlow in the soap Coronation Street who was described as boring rather than Roache himself. That's how tough the UK libel laws are.

Now if one of you kind souls will describe me as 'boring', I will have great pleasure in taking you to the cleaners... [Biased]

(As this thread has been bumped and pinned, I thought I may as well respond, I hit Preview, and the board fell over. I thought an 11th commandment (don't disinter 11 year old posts) had been created.)

Anyway,
I note that comedian Frankie Boyle won a similar adjudication last week, based on the racism of the character he portrays being attributed to him personally, so the UK libel laws are still.... vibrant.

What I really want to know is who was chastised and disemposted by Erin for flirting - anyone who's still here?

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
What I really want to know is who was chastised and disemposted by Erin for flirting - anyone who's still here?

I doubt anyone can remember and considering it happened over 11 years ago, it really doesn't matter

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just wanted to say that this [below, posed on the 'Flippin Synod' thread in Hell], seemed to me (not a lawyer) to be skating close to actual slander/libel - or does it have to be directed at a named individual rather than a category of persons, to qualify?

quote:
Originally posted by Ender's Shadow:
[snip]Trust the bishops? I'd rather trust a corrupt politician I'd just paid off; as Heinlein comments, a corrupt politician has to stay bought, once he's taken the money [snip]

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
or does it have to be directed at a named individual rather than a category of persons, to qualify?

I'm not a lawyer either, but that's certainly my understanding or the relevant law(s).

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We all say rude things about groups of people, particularly, those who climb the social, monetary or political ladders. If everyone in one of those groups sued for personal libel, the entire court system and country would grind to a halt.

And what would we ever gossip about? The weather is already being rude to us!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the UKIP Membership thread I mentioned that comments by a social worker in the news were in my opinion, libellous. Barnabas posted as a host that I should be careful about this as per commandment 7. I've read commandment 7 but It says nothing about suggesting that other people are being libellous. I'm not sure why I should be careful so thought I'd check here. How is it against Commandment 7 to make this suggestion? Advice gratefully recieved.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

I think B62 was just helpfully reminding everybody, including himself, to tread carefully about libel-related issues. Because The Ship cannot afford to defend itself even against spurious litigation, which causes all the Admins to worry and harass the Hosts incessantly about being watchful.

So, specifically, you've done nothing wrong. But B62 pointed out that the discussion has wandered near the edge of a minefield. Prudence and mindfulness is requested of every participant, that is all.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks RooK, exactly what I was thinking - after realising my own inadvertent wandering.

This is a live issue, people's reputations and continuing employment may be at stake.

Is it possible to libel a particular social work director on these websites. It sure is.

There's a grey area between fair and libellous comment on work performance. Not sure I know where it is; my instinct told me we (including me) were heading that way.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am concerned by transphobia in the gender history thread in Purgatory. Is transphobia included in the 1st commandment?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jade Constable

Can you give an example of a post which you think illustrates transphobia? If you're not sure, or don't want to put a possible example here in the Styx, please feel free to PM a Purg Host.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd like to know if it would be OK to post a link to a charitable activity set up for this week (only, as far as I can make out), or if it would come under the no crusade rule. It would offer an alternative to activities suggested in various Margaret Thatcher related threads, being quiet, and a way of doing something positive while commenting on the expenditure at a time when the precariat is being asked to bear a heavy burden.
It's called "Matching Thatcher's Funeral" and doesn't show up on Google yet, only set up today - but I'm carefully not posting a link here.
The idea is that people make a donation to a charity of their choice and then list it on the site. So far they have £85. Or a charity has. They aren't touching the money themselves.
Could I post a link?

[ 15. April 2013, 15:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016