homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Ship of Fools media sightings (general) (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools media sightings (general)
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard it too - and the person quoting the Bible bits sounded really shocked!

Steve Tomkins was good. The Muslim man who commented seemed to do it politely, disagreeing about the Bible compared to the Koran.

BBC4 seemed to link Ship of Fools with Greenbelt...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice piece in The Times.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Daily Telegraph follows suit.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bishop of Arizona once again has mentioned us in his weekly E-Letter -- scroll down to "A Final Thought."

He's obviously a lurker (Hi, +Kirk!) -- one of these days we'll get him to a Shipmeet!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now the Boston Globe.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Evangelical Alliance have commented:

Friday night theology

(This was also sent out as an email.)

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

CHURCH TIMES

St Paul wins ‘worst’ vote

by Ed Beavan

A ST PAUL “classic” has been voted the “worst verse in the Bible” in a poll by the irreverent Christian website Ship of Fools.

The winning verse, 1 Timothy 2.12, in which St Paul does not “permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man”, was unveiled as the most unpopular Bible text in the survey at the Greenbelt Festival on Monday.

The second most disliked text was 1 Samuel 15.3, in which God orders the destruction of the family of Amalek, while Exodus 22.18 was voted third-worst: Moses says: “Do not allow a sorceress to live.”

Two other verses from Paul also appear in the top ten: one where he condemns homosexuality in Romans 1, and one in Ephesians 5 where he calls on wives to “submit to their hus bands as to the Lord”. St Peter also gets in, with a verse appearing to condone slavery, 1 Peter 2.

Stephen Goddard, co-editor of Ship of Fools, said he believed that the “winning” verse was chosen because it was still “live” today. “It’s still used to ‘shut women up’ and stop them preaching.”

--------------------

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In todays Guardian, Simon Hoggart, my favourite columnist, refers to the Ship, suggesting it is 'for sceptical Christians' He comments on the Mystery Worshipper: 'They run a good sermon guide which can be every bit as rude as some restaurant critics', and seems to be a regular.
He is not impressed at the poll on unfavourite Bible verses, suggesting that 'either you believe this nonsense is ordained by an all powerful God or you don't' and can not pick and choose which verses we accept and which we don't.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Well worth checking out a superb review of our 10 Worst Bible Verses project in the Huffington Post.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice article. I love the repeated comparisons between Simon and Bishop Spong........ [Paranoid]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Nice article. I love the repeated comparisons between Simon and Bishop Spong........ [Paranoid]

Truly, separated at (second) birth.

--------------------

Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little mention in the Guardian's Guide section today in the Christmas Blog Roll section. Particular reference to "Gadgets for God and the 12 days of Kitchmas"

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if it counts as a media sighting, but we're being ripped off by the diocese of Chelmsford.
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
Not sure if it counts as a media sighting, but we're being ripped off by the diocese of Chelmsford.

Potential MW's in that diocese "will need to have the recommendation of their incumbent".
Hmmm... doesn't that rather defeat the object of MW-ing?

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm rather pleased by the tone of this, as the bishop appears to assume that readers know about Ship of Fools!

Has Simon addressed Synod yet?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jigsaw:
quote:

Potential MW's in that diocese "will need to have the recommendation of their incumbent".

It's a stupid thing - their operation of MWing, that is. Why couldn't they liaise with the Ship - I'm sure people already experienced in MWing could have been asked to discreetly get to work! Maybe the Ship could even have charged for the service! Sounds like an inside type job to me, even a cover-up by the grand old CofE.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the tip-off, rufiki. I'll have a quiet word with Revd Kosla.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Um, I don't think that the potential MWer would be MWing their own church. I believe the diocese would like to have a reference so that they know who is signing up for the job of MWing diocese churches. It sounds reasonable to me.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
quote:

Um, I don't think that the potential MWer would be MWing their own church. I believe the diocese would like to have a reference so that they know who is signing up for the job of MWing diocese churches. It sounds reasonable to me.
Take the point that they wouldn't be MW-ing their own church, sure, Lyda Rose, but I still don't understand why there needs to be a "recommendation". Sounds like weeding out the urestful souls to me. And what will the would-be MW do if turned down as a result of the reference? Confront the incumbent?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're a suspicious soul. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
You're a suspicious soul. [Biased]

I'm a nurse; it goes with the job.
BTW, I'm sorry if, in the posting back on the 16th December, I sent this thread tangential.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mentioned in the Daily Mail!

(Penultimate paragraph.)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our United Methodist magazine, "The Interpreter," published a segment about The Lord's Prayer in text message and quoted Ship of Fools as well as published 3 of the winning posts. The Interpreter goes out to lay and clergy leaders across the denomination!

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've been included in a Top 50 of Evangelical Christian Blogs here.

OK... we're not evangelical or a blog, but still.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but we are an Off-beat Perspective. I like that.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckon I heard "Ship of Fools" mentioned very briefly this morning on Radio 4...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
We've been included in a Top 50 of Evangelical Christian Blogs here.

OK... we're not evangelical or a blog, but still.

It's because I am reading things like Challis's blog, LaShawn's blog...James White's blog and I am always present on the ship, so my energy must have made this connect.

Just felt like saying something Californian today. I don't know why SoF made it there either but there you go. [Big Grin]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ship of Fools gets a shout-out in a column by Danny Westneat in the Seattle Times.

The main focus of the story is a Craigslist ad for paid church reviewers, linked to a site called ChurchRater.com.

The SoF quote is near the end:
quote:
[T]here are other church-rating sites (the most popular is Ship of Fools, the British "magazine of Christian unrest," with its cheeky reports by anonymous "mystery worshippers.")

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

Is "Off-beat" similar to "Off-message" or "Off-the-rails"?
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Is "Off-beat" similar to "Off-message" or "Off-the-rails"?
No, it means something like unique, quirky. [Smile]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Have pre-recorded a Ship of fools feature Apps of the Apostles for tomorrow's (14 Feb) BBC Radio 4 Sunday programme (7.10am). The interview starts at 09:52.

Here's the Apps of the Apostles feature on the Ship.

[ added feature URL ]

[ 14. February 2010, 10:19: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just turned on the radio earlier this morning, still half asleep, I found myself listening to the Apps of the Apostles. The Ancient Mariner came across very well, I thought.

(I can also tell you that the Biblical Alarm Clock didn't have much success at getting me out of my somnolent state.)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was driving up to LOndon from Lewes at the crack of doom, and found the whole thing very amusing. And to be taken so seriously! [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I set my alarm early and woke up and so presumably listened to it but I am so bad at mornings that I genuinely remember nothing about the item [Frown] That's almost scary.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Apps of the apostles now in the Daily Telegraph.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All Shipmates should note that, instead of sitting around moaning about how crap Valentine's Day is, our esteemed Ancient Mariner got off his backside and did something useful with the day.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Chorister, your kind comments have not gone unnoticed... [Cool]

Also, as a result of the Telegraph, we've made it into India's Little About for the first time.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Also Thaindian News and, er, Armoks News.

Also, look out for an article on apps of the aps by Simon in this week's Church Times (UK).

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We forgot to turn off our radio alarm so were amused to listen to this on Valentine's Day morning.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During a commercial break from the Olympics, I had a look at the Anglican Journal and saw a mention of The Ship at the end of this article

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
19th February copy of Church Times has a two-page spread by Cap'n Simon on 'The Apps of the Apostles'.

But it doesn't seem to be in their on-line version.

The Ship got a website link as well!

[eta the online reference]

[ 19. February 2010, 22:57: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship was cited as the most popular church-rating site in a Seattle Times column, which led to a mention on the atheist blog Unreasonable Faith.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the Church Times count?
A double page spread on the Ships Christian apps?

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Weeder:
Does the Church Times count?
A double page spread on the Ships Christian apps?

Does the Church Times count as what?

It's '..registered as a newspaper at the Post Office' according to the small print at the back - and a newspaper is certainly part of the 'media'.

And it has been mentioned several times before in this thread.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Of course the 'Church Times' counts - amongst SoFers it's BIG. Why, this week alone I counted no fewer than 6 Shipmate contributors amongst its pages. And they are only the ones I know about. Which probably means there are even more. [Cool]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found three - including the double page spread.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

This week, it's Mystery Worship (Ship of Fools and other similar schemes) which gets a mention. Page 12 of the paper version.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Good spot, Chorister. [Cool]

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course the 'Church Times' counts - amongst SoFers it's BIG. Why, this week alone I counted no fewer than 6 Shipmate contributors amongst its pages. And they are only the ones I know about. Which probably means there are even more. [Cool]

Well, among a certain subset of SoFers it's big. Is this something we barbarians in the colonies can look at on-line? For free, of course, we barbarians tend to be cheap. [Razz]

Since that first mention (pre-Y2K) of the Ship in the Boston Globe which led me here, I've never noticed any mention here in New England. But then, aside from the religious aspects of the political scene, coverage of religion in general has pretty much disappeared except for one-off tales of tragedy or wonderfulness at particular churches/synagogues/temples/etc. in the area.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
[<snip>
Well, among a certain subset of SoFers it's big. Is this something we barbarians in the colonies can look at on-line? For free, of course, we barbarians tend to be cheap. [Razz]

<snip>

Church Times does have a website,and even offers access to some articles to non-subscribers. Sadly this generosity never seems to extend to those referring to the Ship [Frown]

Incidentally the article on Mystery Worshipping in the current issue wasn't entirely complimentary - rather a case of damning with faint praise, I thought!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016