homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Ship of Fools media sightings (general) (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools media sightings (general)
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LeRoc, I think Andrew is pointing to SoF then to the Art4God site further down.

[Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, never mind.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9462 | From: UK / Africa / Brazil | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a small appearance by the Captain in today's Metro:

quote:
Simon Jenkins, editor of Christian website Ship of Fools, said the cathedral’s handling of the camp had been a ‘car crash’ and an ‘almighty mess’.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29878 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon was interviewed on the BBC news channel yesterday - excellent words, but I can't find a link to it.

They mentioned the Ship twice [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12668 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Extract from his blog shows picture, and time of interview, if anyone wants to follow it up.

Also, there is now an article on the front page of the ship magazine.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34563 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I's love to see the Youtube on that. The article was really good.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35053 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon on the BBC World Service, 2 November 2011, 0515am, The World Today (link), about the St Paul's goings-on. Interview starts 9'50" in.

Programmes is available for listening online until Wednesday, 9 November 2011, 0602am.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7253 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, so I wasn't dreaming then.

I thought I heard the Cap'n's name mentioned & SoF but since I had the radio on to try & get back to sleep, I wasn't sure....

Posts: 4451 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon Jenkins has written an article about Halloween (page 13 of Church Times) dated 28 October, which I've only just got around to reading. It's called 'A chance to play on the dark side' and is subscriber only this week, but will be generally available from the archive (issue no. 7754) from next week.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read that recently-- guess someone linked it-- and was really impressed. I even told my mother to share it with her Bible study group. (she was impressed, too.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

... and I just heard the podcast. Perfect.

I found the comments about the social function of the cathedral really exciting-- and really necessary.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yay Simon! I have already been sharing your blog post around, and this just adds to it. (the BBC interview) very well done, Captain.

plus, as a former professional radio geek - you have a nice voice and delivery. double attaboys!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17022 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Agreed, Simon has a very ear-catching voice. Firm, but warm.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Simon on the BBC World Service, 2 November 2011, 0515am, The World Today (link), about the St Paul's goings-on. Interview starts 9'50" in.

Programmes is available for listening online until Wednesday, 9 November 2011, 0602am.

Thanks for the link, Wesley J. Nice little interview, well done Simon [Big Grin] .
It's slightly a pity that the BBC introduced Simon as presenting what "young christians" think, given the wide age-range on here though.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3680 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah - we are all young at heart [Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 12668 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:

Thanks for the link, Wesley J. Nice little interview, well done Simon [Big Grin] .
It's slightly a pity that the BBC introduced Simon as presenting what "young christians" think, given the wide age-range on here though.

Yes, the Ship does have a wide age range (18 to 80 I believe) but critically it has plenty over 30 but not retired. Men of that age seem especially under represented in many churches, which is not the case here. YMMV.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24004 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I was listening to BBC Radio Guernsey as I was driving about this morning when suddenly I was listening to Milton Jones being interviewed about Roll on Christmas. A nice plug for that and the Ship!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6015 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Given that there has been a thread on WWJD recently, shipmates might be interested in reading an article currently linked to on the BBC news website by Steve Tomkins. Although it doesn't specifically mention the ship, it covers several of the things which were discussed in the thread plus extra stuff I didn't know about before.

--------------------

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roll on Christmas and the Ship get a mention here.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The suffragan bishop of the Diocese in Europe has given Mystery Worship a favorable mention.

--------------------
"It used to be that being crazy meant something. But not anymore – nowadays everybody's crazy!" – Charles Manson

Posts: 10292 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
Roll on Christmas and the Ship get a mention here.

And here.

(Watch out! These nativities can be dangerous! [Eek!] )

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And more in Inspire.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Agreed, Simon has a very ear-catching voice. Firm, but warm.

shaken not stirred.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

We need a "like" button on the ship, but only for duchess's posts [Big Grin]

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel unworthy but [Overused]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Catching up on my pre-christmas reading, I see that Ship of Fools get a mention with regard to a book review by Steve Tomkins ('A Short History of England' Simon Jenkins).

I thought you could access anything old in the Church Times archive for free, but it appears that book reviews are still behind the subscriber wall.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

The Church Times has shipoffools named as one of its five favourite twitter followings.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
The Church Times has shipoffools named as one of its five favourite twitter followings.

Of course!

[Biased]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Excellent!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's lead essay on Episcopal Café includes a shout-out to The Ship.

[ 27. March 2012, 02:14: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20716 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon, what have you been up to?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Simon, what have you been up to?

[Cool]

Should be hired for a shipmeet.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I was disappointed that Ship of Fools didn't get a specific mention here, but the survey still looks interesting and relevant to those who share their faith on SoF.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I was disappointed that Ship of Fools didn't get a specific mention here, but the survey still looks interesting and relevant to those who share their faith on SoF.

The figure for Pentecostalists appears high while that for Roman Catholics looks low. Maybe there's an age and class thing at work?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Interesting certainly, but it's all about mission and sharing the faith in the sense of evangelism - that is, getting the message out to non-Christians. A bulletin board aimed primarily at those who are already Christian, while good for many other reasons, doesn't fit into that category.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29878 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Hmmm, I wouldn't want to be as black-and-white about it as that, Marvin - I'd like to hope that we talk about our faith quite naturally on the Ship, both with those who are Christians and those who are not.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ancient Mariner going for a walk.
Posts: 6880 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to say that I'm on the BBC Radio 4 programme The Digital Human at 4.30pm today, talking about Ship of Fools and the joys of digital religion.

The Digital Human

--------------------
Jumble Sales of the Apocalypse

Posts: 3776 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Interested to note that today's Church Times has a centrefold pull-out for Back To Church Sunday, where they suggest church returners could 'Mystery Worship' the church they go to on that day, and send the report to the vicar.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

I wish I wouldn't have clicked through everything to somehow get to the guest starring nun's online paper...that had a link to a dead cat as a helicopter. That was wrong. I will listen to this show this week, promise, as I am book marking this for myself. I just need now to get off the internet tonight.

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Author's homepage   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alien and I are raising money for Cancer Research... please sponsor us!

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15193 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Author's homepage   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
is it there correctly

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15193 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL, I think you confused this one with the UBB practice thread?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9462 | From: UK / Africa / Brazil | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Not exactly a "traditional" media sighting, but the title of this episode of one of the webcomics I'm following made me smile [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday On Radio 4 this morning included a discussion of digital religion.
Our Simon was one of the participants, according to Mr Bee who listened while I was still in the land of nod. [Snore]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5232 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

I will be on BBC Radio Wales' All Things Considered this Sunday (23 Sep) talking about the upcoming Godbaby campaign from Church Ads this Christmas.

[Cool]

[ 21. September 2012, 09:15: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Here is the link to the BBC Wales programme 'All Things Considered'. [Cool]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I was interested to read about this - sounds just like Mystery Worship but costs £60!

--------------------

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
£60 plus VAT.

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 977 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Anyone who looks up i-church (after they are featured on BBC1 Songs of Praise tonight, 5pm) will see a link to Ship of Fools. I guess only a fraction might click on it, but we may get some extra traffic (and new members?) from that source.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016