homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chorister has graciously agreed that it is time to play The Grand Game again.

So, to take off, I will head for

Temple

That gives endless options for players of all skill levels.

[ 13. February 2013, 04:30: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Euston Square. If we're playing the new Dronfield Variations that should require some innovative shunting patterns around the Heathrow area to avoid putting the deep-level lines in Nidd.

[ 07. November 2012, 21:29: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, I should have thought.

New Dronfield Variations it is!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Still your move...

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May I, as per the 1955 Amendment to the "Piglet follows the Weeder" Convention (1549), be permitted to take her move as it's the middle of the night on her side of the Pond? If so, then I suggest St. James's Park.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a tricky one, piglet - I think it will have to to be

South Ealing

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't caught up with the New Dronfield convention so I hope I am playing safe with

Ealing Common

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stonebridge Park

Which I think puts anything south of the river in spoon.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

It does. But I think
West Brompton
will get us on the move.

Over to you, Piglet?

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Shipmate
# 76

Sorry Weeder. These bilateral splits are always tricky aren't they? You know that feeling, like the one you get in chess when your opponent makes exactly the move you thought you wanted them to, until they make it and then you spot that innocent looking bishop.

Before making my move, it's probably worth getting a defence in first, because I know that the Leamington Spa Symposium fundamentalists are going to try to push their agenda here, as they always do in these circumstances. And let me remind you that poor Albert Pestlethwaite, formally Grand Master of the Coal Aston Crescentites, is still unable to cope even with news reports regarding the London Underground, and indeed experiences palpitations every time he feels the rumble of a Cross Country Train running through the tunnel to Sheffield, all as a result of the ridiculous four year campaign waged by the Leamington Spa faction to overturn the results of the Unstone and Sheepbridge regional finals in 1992 - a disgraceful episode for which I'm sure that those responsible all feel great shame, and which we do not want to rehearse here, except to remind everyone that the Bolsover Ruling was that reverse shunts involving stations in Spoon are wild.

So, bearing that in mind (and people to whom the italics are addressed know who they are)

Mudchute

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

But, you have to ask yourself, does that all apply within the scope of the Dronfield Variations?

Well, does it*?

Meanwhile I think we'll head off to

Epping

*I am thinking that this could go all the way to High Court.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
But, you have to ask yourself, does that all apply within the scope of the Dronfield Variations?

Well, does it*?

Meanwhile I think we'll head off to

Epping

*I am thinking that this could go all the way to High Court.

I think, sir, that if you are going to try the Leamington Spa nonsense here, we'd be better off discussing it in the Hot Place.

Goodge Street

As you know, and choose to conveniently forget, the Dronfield Variations are completely independent of the Leamington Spa Schism, and occurred before that particular shameful incident burst onto our screens. As was pointed out at the time that the Leamington Spa Mafia started bleating their nonsense, the adoption of their ridiculous ideas would lead to reverse shunts losing their entire raison d'etre outside the very lowest levels of the game. We thought we meant "easiest", but it turns out that the change was supported by the "lowest" levels of the game in more ways than one.

This should be all ancient history by now, and would be, were it not for the wooden-brained bleating from some die-hard idiots who neither understood the implications of their proposed revisions, nor cared sufficiently for the game to understand their ramifications.

It's hardly surprising that some of us feel very strongly about this, especially those of us with ties to the Coal Aston Crescentites, as alluded to earlier.

Your move.

[ 08. November 2012, 13:17: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I thought the Coal Aston Crescentites lost all credibility after Boris became Mayor, but perhaps I am mistaken - that happened once before, I think it was 1973.

Chalfont & Latimer

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I thought the Coal Aston Crescentites lost all credibility after Boris became Mayor, but perhaps I am mistaken - that happened once before, I think it was 1973.

Chalfont & Latimer

[Big Grin]

They dropped out of national competitions after the aforementioned incident out of respect for their most respected member. But remember they were the victims in all this.

Their leading lights play for Jordanthorpe and Batemoor now; there was a lot of fuss about this at the time as of course Dronfield and Newbold wanted them; lots of talk about "crossing the border" - you know how MCites feel about the importance of regional boundaries. Then of course it turned out that one of them lived in Halfway anyway, and not Highlane as he'd previously claimed; it turned out to be his girlfriend's mother's address. Now that did go all the way up and the stink has never quite left the area. Which is all a great shame, because the CAC was the home of some particularly good grass-roots MC, the sort we need to encourage, and not the corporate branded formulaic play being lauded by the fellow travellers of the Leamington Spa Faction.

And with that:

Kings Cross St Pancras - which should put everyone west of Earl's Court in Nidd for a turn.

[ 08. November 2012, 14:13: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see your Nidd and raise you a

Hainault

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

Please do not let Chorister regret allowing us another run at The Great Game.

Lines must be drawn in all sorts of places, and hurt feelings overcome. So let us all pull ourselves together, and make a gentle shunt to

Temple

close by the Court of Chancery, to remind us that we do NOT want opposing views to end up where they did in 1881! So lets play nicely, please.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
I see your Nidd and raise you a

Hainault

I think I can see what you're trying to do. That play's been popular the last few weeks; I suspect that the online availability of live feeds of the Rotherham Finals earlier in the Summer have something to do with it; as you will recall it was the strategy used by M. Indthegap to devestating effect.

I'm not sure that the defence to it presented by the MC Digest is that inpenetrable either; their recommendation would be to play something like Mudchute at this point, but I'm unconvinced, because it only takes someone to trigger a three-way split on the northbound suburban lines and we're in for a protracted period of play where it'll be more luck than good play that lets someone race towards the Northern Line.

Hence I'm going to cut through all that and play

Dollis Hill

Groan all you like!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, that has ruined my rather clever diagonal through Caledonian Road and I'm not sure I'll ever get the chance to play it again, Dronfield or no Dronfield.

[Waterworks]

Dollis Hill

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Morden

[Keeps quiet to see if anyone can work out how to break the DH loop; no, it's nothing to do with Peak Hours reverse shunts]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're both trying to be far too clever, and over-analyse and second-guess all this. I defy anyone to read my mind - heck, most of the time I don't even know what's in there.

And with that, I think we should make a move to

Goldhawk Rd

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Dollis Hill

Good try though. I don't think any attempts at shunts, reverse or otherwise, can break it in this situstion.

Except... [checks Little Book of Mornington Crescent] - yes, might try that next go, what with a semi-Spoon over... yes... that might just work...

[Snigger]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Golly. I haven't played in a while. In fact I only got introduced to the game a couple of years back on the Ship.

I certainly haven't kept up with all these bloody factions you're all talking about. I don't know, why can't people just stick with the central Rules Committeee and not form splinter groups every time they happen to dislike a particular decision. I mean, was there really anything in that Leamington Spa business worth all the fuss?

As a rank amateur I shall probably stick to fairly traditional moves, but if I show any signs of innovative brilliance it will probably be that kind of 'beginner's luck' where you don't understand enough of what you're doing to REALISE that you're being unorthodox.

And with that I think my best bet is Hyde Park Corner

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Thank goodness for that. I think we should move swiftly onwards to Mudchute before Karl starts spooning again.

Sorry: semi-Spooning

[ 08. November 2012, 15:09: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Shipmate
# 76

Mornington Crescent!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember the Leamington Spa business all too well and found myself siding with the more liberal adherents of the Warwick Parkway amendment. With that and the Whovian addition to the Dronfield Variation in mind:

Perivale

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Humph - ruling - does my winning move still stand if cross-posted with a blocking move?

The rules on internet play have never been properly sorted out out. That makes the whole Leamington Spa business and the Coal Aston Fallout look like a pleasant disagreement over a pint.

--------------------

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah well you buzzed in first so to speak.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Shipmate
# 76

Let's take your Perivale as the start of the new round.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Official Ruling:
If we're on the first page, one can only move to MC if backed up with extreme cleverness. However, since it's morning and my standards are low, the ruling on the field stands. The blocking move was invalid, and, therefore, we will reset to the neutral site of Charing Cross

Well done!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

If we're going with neutral then:

Swiss Cottage

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Very neutral. I like it. But we can't stay there, so I propose we aim for

South Harrow

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a complete newbie, who has only read the basic rules and not all this amendment nonsense, I'm going to plump for

Turnham Green

[ 08. November 2012, 19:08: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's damn hard to stop someone from spooning if they've really got it into their heads that they want to.

Hackney Wick

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That gets me between my old school and my old home

Canons Park

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

DOH! How did I NOT see that move coming?

I don't know, need my brain checked or something. Next thing you know I'll be bringing the Piccadilly Line into play without guarding against putting the entire eastern half in Nidd.

With that in mind, let's hope this isn't foolish...

Pudding Mill Lane

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Which leads me, very nicely I might add, to

Fenchurch Street

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
EEEEHHHHHH!!! No underground station of that name! Invalid move! Reset to Dollis Hill!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nononononono! Not D***** H***!

Anyway, is there really anything in The Rules that precludes the playing of a station whose whereabouts* are a bit dubious? Where's Baptist Trainfan when we need him?

Meanwhile, I propose a gentle stroll over to Hammersmith.

* Unless we're playing the Monopoly (Straying into the Wrong Game) Variant, of course. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Not good enough. Dollis Hill

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Harrow and Wealdstone of course.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Nope. Dollis Hill

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Why the blazes are we spending so much time at Dollis Hill? I mean, I get that it prevents a reverse shunt on the Circle or District line, but is it really worth it? It leaves you open to all sorts of other troublesome moves.

For instance: Brent Cross

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Fenchurch Street is a mainline station and is thus allowable since, I think, the 1927 revision. The Blessed Humph, who wrote the yearbooks for several centuries, was also known to allow, on occasion, places only reachable by bus!

Seven Sisters

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Fenchurch Street is a mainline station and is thus allowable since, I think, the 1927 revision. The Blessed Humph, who wrote the yearbooks for several centuries, was also known to allow, on occasion, places only reachable by bus!

Seven Sisters

That opens things up a bit. Rather a lot, actually. The Nomenclature Similitude rule now allows me to go to Pevensey and Westham

With a weekend just coming, I suspect that going will be slow now. Consequently the Weekend Engineering Works rule applies, which puts a Turnstile Spoon on mainline/underground interchanges within Zone 3.

I'm also hoping that this play will deter some of the Leamington Spa crowd (sorry to raise them again, but so much of the bickering we inevitably get these days derives from their activities) from trying to ruff the diagonals with a three carriage trump suit, thus clogging the entire southern region and forcing the sort of dire stalemate that leaves one wishing for a good honest Dollis Hill loop. Frankly, if the modern game descends to those levels then I may have to just dust off my tiddly-winks in search of a more challenging and mature option.

Which would be very sad. Humph must be spinning in his grave. What the people who played with little more than a knowledge of roughly where the carts went in the 17th century would think I really don't know.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

You've got an attack of the verbose again, haven't you Karl? I can't be doing with all this obsession with the Leamington Spa Mafia, so am going to play

Elephant & Castle

(yes, it's the one in the corner)

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
You've got an attack of the verbose again, haven't you Karl? I can't be doing with all this obsession with the Leamington Spa Mafia, so am going to play

Elephant & Castle

(yes, it's the one in the corner)

I wouldn't want any smart-arse rules lawyer to try to challenge a move taking place now in a couple of hours when I^hsomeone reaches Mornington Crescent. Some people, unfortunately, are rather into post-mortem pleading, and the confusion brought into the rules by certain people (and they know who they are*) only exacerbates this trend. Hence clarification as I go, where I think this scenario is likely.

I don't think that any of us want, by losing a little in game discussion and clarification, to see a repeat of the 2009 Ashover and Clay Cross regional finals, where George Two-Cylinders won after just three minutes with a blinding in-Nidd** diagonal ruff on Zone 1, but the arguments and attempts to have him stripped of his triumph went on for four hours, and even longer in some pubs. You do know that there are still three pubs in Alfreton where away MC supporters are still banned during competitions, as a result of one regular gnawing his own arm off in frustration. The Olde Oake's pub cat is still unwilling to come down from the pelmet in the snug, and has to be fed on the end of a long pole.

Moving on, with the Nomenclature Similitude rule still applicable, I think I can safely move to Gormenghast

[checks surrounding hexes before taking finger off counter]

Yes. Gormenghast it is.

*Except the Leamington Spa lot, who need it spelling out, it seems.

**It was his opponent's own fault. There are pub and club players up and down the land who couldn't believe he tried to set up a three way vortex with commuter lines wild and Picadilly trumps.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As far as I can see from perusing SEVERAL editions of the rules, going back as far as The Jubilee Edition of 1897, is that the only incontrovertibly allowable play after Gormengast is

Kensington Olympia

Under those conditions I presume it allowable on a Friday.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
KLB, songs have been written about that game. I won't repeat them here because they involve some decidedly un-Circus-like words, but suffice it to say that day will live in infamy for a long time.

Wodders seems to have blocked any possible movement on the Northern Line (deliberate or not, I don't know) so I shall have to start out at

Heathrow Terminal 4

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

In honour of Melanie "Mad Mel" Philips' latest and finest manure-spraying effort on her blog (I do wonder when she's going to come out as an undercover Trotskyite) I'm going to plump for Barking

I'm not sure all movement on the Northern Line is blocked. I've had a quick dig around, even consulting the Jubilee Line Book of the Dead, or the timetable as it's also known, and I think it would be possible to sail between the Scylla of a Spooned Zone 1 and the Charybdis of a completely fouled Northern Line, but it would only take one person not on the ball to mess it up and start another D..... H... loop.

The problem here is of course that outstanding ruling regarding reverse shunts after fantasy stations have been called. Certainly Ankh Morpork Central and Lancre Parkway are in Nidd, but Minas Tirith High Level and Osgiliath Interchange would be possible plays, but I think the Reality Re-entry point might turn out to be somewhere on the Paris Metro. Do we want to go there? I believe the interim ruling on the above issue would point to the Mid-Wales line being safer if this happens. Of course, the interim ruling was made at the Llanuwchlyn and Bala convention, so make of that what you will.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having finally managed to purchase a copy of the 1923 Amendment to the Lesser Certified Rule Book (Birkenhead Edition) on a well-known retail website*, I propose a move to the definitely non-fictional station of

Ellesmere Port.

*other Jersey-based booksellers with dubious tax arrangements are available.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016