homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lowestoft Central.

You can't get further east than that (well, obviously you can if you go to somewhere like Vladivostok - which then invites the question of when going east actually becomes west and you're coming back the other way. And there's not too many railways in Polynesia).

See what you've done now with your talk of the Circle Line!

[ 19. December 2012, 14:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's more like it!

X in top left space

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
moving the X along...
Laxå

[ 19. December 2012, 14:26: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So that's everywhere except Zone 1 and Metrolink in Nidd, isn't it?

Altrincham

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No alternative but to open the game up via MediaCityUK.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Meadowhall Interchange

That's very much broken up the pack of reds, hasn't it?

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not really.

I call 2 No trumps

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Catford Bridge.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can't handle this - I'm going voluntarily into Nidd until after Christmas...

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Would that be Knaresborough or Pateley Bridge? We need to know, so we can winkle you back home to your nearest and dearest again ...

Perhaps he's just suffering from Acute Carolitis, and needs to be treated with an Infusion of Silent Refection.

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Perhaps he's just suffering from Acute Carolitis, and needs to be treated with an Infusion of Silent Refection.

[Overused]

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I meant "Reflection" by the way - although "Refection" sounds a jolly good idea, especially around Lunchtime on Christmas Day.

However, we are still marooned in Yorkshire ...

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Under the circumstances, I think St Blazey may be a good move [Biased]
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mevagissey Model Railway

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice move—especially since it sets me up perfectly for taking the HO Line that runs in circles around the Christmas Tree.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stuff this for a game of soldiers - Georgemas Junction. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I could take offence, given my name is Carolus in Latin.

Meanwhile

Dronfield - I hope that helps with the Yorkshire spoon.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I thought we'd long since cleared the Yorkshire Spoon (sounds like it ought to be some kind of Morris Dance). But never mind. More importantly, what's still in Nidd? I think, however, that I ought to be relatively safe with

Tower Hill

Shipmate
# 76

Only the entire District line. Never mind.

Incidentally I couldn't sleep last night and managed to catch a live feed (all right, all right, smutty person over there) of the Australian (no) Rules Mornington Crescent pre-Christmas bash. I think about four actual tube stations got mentioned all night, and amazingly it was all within what rules they have. You know you can still move directly from any dockside UK station to any dockside station in Oz, under the Convict Transportation Directive?

I'm invoking the National Ruleset Import regulations here, therefore, in order to play Hobart

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Aha! So you've gone "sarf of the river", I see. Not quite the worst crime in the Book, but it runs close.

We'll have to match that with the bucolic delights of Collier's Wood.

All Travelcard options are now open, providing that there has been no flooding at Embankment.

[ 20. December 2012, 13:28: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Shipmate
# 76

On a worldwide scale, most plays are actually south of the river.

Horton in Ribblesdale, OTOH, is not.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
North Berwick mind the snow...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose depending on what sort of snow it is, the entire network might be in knid, so I'm off to Groudle Glen, just in time to meet Father Christmas. [Smile]

edited for coding bollocks

[ 21. December 2012, 03:16: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

You shoukd try Rovaniemi if you want to meet Father C. But he might be Very Busy or even Out.

You could catch the overnight sleeper from Helsinki.

[ 21. December 2012, 07:28: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Shipmate
# 76

Hmm - Svalbard was played a few games ago, and I think that as there's been no break that means it's still in spoon even now, so I shan't play it now and thereby create a Arctic roll*.

With the doubling cube currently showing a 16, it's probably risky to move any counters from inner to outer table, so at the risk of being huffed and leaving one or two people with a King, I'm going to have to see your Rovaniemi and raise you Embankment.

And Stick.

*Like a Dollis Hill loop, but with fewer burger bars and more polar bears.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

ah Arctic roll. Brings back no-so-fond memories of childhood. Ahem...

You need to be careful when you make moves like that that you're not leaving yourself open to the wrong sort of snow, and thus leaving the whole game stuck. At the moment however, that's not really a problem, although the wrong sort of leaves may present a hazard. And with that in mind,

Forest Green

Shipmate
# 76

Excellent. I think that allows me to queen one of my pawns.

Doubling cube now at 32.

I have vague memories of a beer-drenched match back in my mis-spent youth where the local University Mathematics Club (yes, really) joined in. The pub had a laser display screen (very forward looking in those days) and someone had hooked up an old BBC Micro (that dates it!) to it which was able to actually track the game on a tube map.

Of course, players were not allowed to see the screen during play; otherwise you might as well give everyone a timetable and a map and be done with it. However, these guys were very good at holding images in their heads, and suddenly there was a nod from one of the mathematicians to another, a quick play of Watford Met, and then the sound of choking on beer from the chap manning the display, which now showed the word "arse" picked out in blue chips at carefully selected stations.

They lost, but got a special award for inventiveness.

Waterloo

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Ypres.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Short, and to the point. And presumably presaging the battlefield that this could become if the Leamington Spa mob get wind of it.

I think therefore we should head for Spooner Row to keep under their radar.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Hmmm, not sure - there are air bases in East Anglia (Lakenheath, Marham, Mildenhall) so there's quite a lot of radar around in the area.

I'll lie low for a bit (underneath the bench on the down platform) and see what transpires. Which means we are still at Spooner Row. Not much choice really, unless a Special comes along: I've just missed the last train and there isn't another one till Monday.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor you, BT. If you stay there too long you'll get arrested for loitering (or something like that), which would be very embarrassing with you being a Man Of The Cloth and all that. I can see the headline in the East Anglian Daily Times ... [Big Grin]

To avert this unmitigated disaster, may I suggest Wick which, although it doesn't have any air-bases, does have a de-commissioned nuclear power station not far away.

[Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erm, Liverpool Street?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I'm not worried about the East Anglian Daily Times. But the Ipswich Star is another matter.

Come to think of it, much of the editorial content's the same, anyway.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheltenham Spa

That should cause some confusion.

[Snigger]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Spa Road (Bermondsey). That really will put them off the scent, but may be seen as incriminating.

[ 22. December 2012, 10:34: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've just discovered a stash of blue counters down the back of the sofa, probably enough to get me to Piccadilly Circus, which should take the heat off BT for a wee while ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Oh dear me, I'm going to get pilloried for this but I'm taking us all back to

Hainault

at least it is in the Sacred County.

--------------------

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Oh dear me, I'm going to get pilloried for this but I'm taking us all back to

Hainault

at least it is in the Sacred County.

Do you know, I read that as the Scared County? I have cousins who live in Essex and "scared" is not the first adjective I would apply to them or the part of the country where they live. I don't think it is an adjective that I would ever apply to them.

Come to think of it, "sacred" isn't an adjective I would apply to them or the county either, but there again, I don't live there and never have.

Now then: Sunday evening, bank holiday approaching, the whole of Zone 2 in spoon, distinct lack of any chips of any colour that will do me any good and the prospect of rain. The Picadilly line still has a good service running, even on the Uxbridge branch, so Osterley it has to be.

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Piglet's generous gift of chips bought me some valuable time, but now I shall confuse my pursuers homophonically:

Lymington (Pier).

If I say it quietly and with a strong Hampshire accent, they might go in the wrong direction.

[ 23. December 2012, 22:28: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

BT, how's the validity of your passport?

Pimlico is usually helpful in such situations. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Tahnk you, piglet!

Brixton

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Well that's you out of the way, anyway. I can't see you getting back from there before the tube system shuts down for Christmas Day.

Heh - you're in good company Wodders - I do wecall, I mean recall, the great Deb Den getting herself totally roasted in a three way all-nighter as a result of a similar play on Maunday Thursday. Very much all dressed up with no place to go.

Just to ensure the game continues, I'm going to drop an Oyster into the middle of the board for Free Parking and pick up a blue chip. Which means, of course, free passage to Liverpool Street

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As it's Christmas Eve, I suggest we head off to the Swanage Railway Santa Special for a mince pie or two.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Hmm ... wasn't there a landslip nearby the other day? The principle is good but it sounds a bit risky IMO.

I'df thought about going to Brockford on the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway instead, but they're closed.

So let's go to Holt on the North Norfolk instead. It's nearer the North Pole anyway.

[ 24. December 2012, 11:48: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Shipmate
# 76

Actually, reminiscing about the lovely Deb, whose MC career began in our neck of the woods in the Hillstown and Palterton Chapter of the N E Derbyshire MC Order, brings to mind another incident. We were on a Chapter outing to the Peak, and called in to this pleasant tea room situated in a working farm. We were quite a large party, so the proprietor extended the seating area into a working barn, from where we ordered some sandwiches.

I particularly enjoyed that roll in the hay with Deb, as did everyone else that day.

Simple pleasures in a more innocent time.

Mudchute. Has to be, really.

[ 24. December 2012, 12:00: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Rainhill.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

M...M...M...Mansion House

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Later, Deb's on-off boyfriend joined us. It was a bit of tricky afternoon after that point, but I understand that after we dropped them off she confided that she was disappointed that he'd not bought her the necklace she wanted for Christmas, he nipped to a little shop he knew and the next morning he knocked her up and gave her one.

Bas Pelargic

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

What can I say after that, except

Bangor

[Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Did anyone watch the Annual Pre-Christmas get together at Broadcasting House last year? Al Perton was the referee for the formal matches, but it was amazing what was going on at the fringe. I've never seen chocolate éclairs used in that way before in the place of signalling placeholders, but it led to some amusement. I wouldn't like to have been in Al's shoes when he tried to explain the stains to Mrs Perton, but there you go.

The organisers had very sensibly avoided having the Leamington Spa crowd spoil the show by arranging the shindig at the same time as their annual visit to the White Scar Caves. There is, however, no truth in the rumours that a number of keen MCites were seen in the Ingleton area with a quantity of bricks, cement and sand, much as one might wish it to be so.

Truro

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016