homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Almost as much fun watching them bat on on the telly.

Sorry, Loth.

mr curly
TOP again

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wonderful GP who has seen me through some dark times, told me yesterday that he has been diagnosed with lymphoma. There is little, apparently, that can be done for him apart from prayer. Please can you all remember Rob, my very talented Christian doctor, in your prayers.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I picked up the keys to my new house today. MY new house.

Tomorrow I sign the mortgage papers and officially become a slave of the CBA.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Rob.

Bi

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No shakey bits over mag 5 in the last 24hrs means the temporary libraries are probably open [Yipee]

Anything over 5 and public buildings close for engineers inspection - which is safer, but a damn nuisance. Also books fall off shelves and can't be reshelved until the all-clear is given.

Today seismologists are reporting to the Council on the latest swarm of aftershocks - I think it's about 300 since December 23rd, most of which I missed by being in Wellington.

So fingers crossed for the next 4 hours. I've managed to be at home or outside for all of the really big ones - I hope my record holds.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Today seismologists are reporting to the Council on the latest swarm of aftershocks - I think it's about 300 since December 23rd, most of which I missed by being in Wellington.
Reporting session was interrupted by a 5+ shock. Ironic.
Huia, thinking of you always. And of my cousin Graham, aged 85, who's feeling the strain too.

[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
My wonderful GP who has seen me through some dark times, told me yesterday that he has been diagnosed with lymphoma. There is little, apparently, that can be done for him apart from prayer. Please can you all remember Rob, my very talented Christian doctor, in your prayers.

Prayers for Rob.

And also still for Huia and Christchurch.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for Dr Rob

It says something for his relationship with Bib that they can talk openly about this - so prayers for Bib as well.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

According to a GMS scientist the faults in Christchurch will take decades, rather than years to settle, but will slowly become less noticeable. The article I'm basing this on is on Stuff entitled "Mag 4.7 Quake Strikes Christchurch".

I must admit to a feeling of wanting to do serious damage to the messenger when I read that. I wasn't expecting it to take quite that long. He said that aftershocks from an earthquake in 1968 (Inungahua) are still being recorded but not felt. I remember scrambling under the kitchen table for that one.

I'm picking that more people may leave Christchurch as a result of this news, but Georgie-Porgy and I are here for the duration - unless the scientist is wrong about the likelihood of a tsunami.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
He said that aftershocks from an earthquake in 1968 (Inungahua) are still being recorded but not felt. I remember scrambling under the kitchen table for that one

I woke up seconds after it, confused and in a kind of cold sweat. It was then that my healthyn fear of earthquakes was born. Our chimney was badly damaged but got away with being braced.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Odd things seen on way to church #2. Last week's was "holly communion" on children's clothing shop.

Today a van went past the bus with a slogan saying, "We clean, restore and impregnate stone." Nothing more. Some probably unnecessary images and words went through my mind when I read that.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for Dr Rob and BIB and for all in Christchurch.

Well done Nunc, you can feel a bit enslaved to the bank when you get a mortgage, but some pain now really pays off later when you own your own place. When you own your place you don't have to stress about landlords and once the mortgage is paid off it gives you a real sense of financial security to own the place where you live.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] For all in Christchurch

We had our first Sunday at Terrors Creek today. FD will be just fine - he preached a cracker of a sermon today. I, however, am certain I'll have some serious trouble from some quarters after being grimly told 'you will' about how things are done for tea and biscuits and having one of the previous team come up and start fiddling with sound equipment right by me in the expectation that I should have been doing something about it.

Fortunately, others have been going out of their way to make us feel welcome, so I didn't run out screaming.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with that, Clarence!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clarence, next week take a cattle prod with you, it'll save a lot of trouble later.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There used to be a wonderful piece about morning tea and the rosters pertaining to it over on Fr Bosco Peter's blog. I've had a good poke around there but can't find it. I'm sure Clarence would find it useful. [Biased] Anyone know the one I mean? And where to find it now?

[ 08. January 2012, 03:40: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
[Votive] For all in Christchurch

We had our first Sunday at Terrors Creek today. FD will be just fine - he preached a cracker of a sermon today. I, however, am certain I'll have some serious trouble from some quarters after being grimly told 'you will' about how things are done for tea and biscuits and having one of the previous team come up and start fiddling with sound equipment right by me in the expectation that I should have been doing something about it.

Fortunately, others have been going out of their way to make us feel welcome, so I didn't run out screaming.

I'm glad it went well. Is it the place I remember?

Re the perception that the minister's wife ought to be doing stuff, stuff that! I hope you don't need to "make a point™" at some stage.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

- Posted      Profile for claudine   Email claudine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Melbourne people, Cranmer's Baggage is in town this week. Anyone interested in a shipmeet on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?
Posts: 355 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could do Tuesday! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

If the meet happens, please pass my regards on to her.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Please give CB my best wishes.

The cross fell off our church. I guess we are lucky not much more happened, except a couple of cracks in the ceiling and some broken glass in the tower.

I notice that the Catholic church hall over the road now has wooden triangles bracing it's walls. The church itself looks OK, it's a fairly modern design so it should be OK given there isn't any liquefaction in the area.

Huia

--------------------

claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

- Posted      Profile for claudine   Email claudine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia [Votive]

Melbourne CB-meet details: Southgate at 5pm on Tuesday. JtC and I will be there - anyone else?

Posts: 355 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In afew hours I'll be moving house [Yipee] .

This is not a pleasant prospect really - moving is stressful.

And made just a little bit worse by the fact it reached 41C here today, and is forecast to reach in the high 30s again tomorrow... And it is still so hot that sleep is almost impossible...

[ 09. January 2012, 14:21: Message edited by: Nunc Dimittis ]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:

This is not a pleasant prospect really - moving is stressful.

And made just a little bit worse by the fact it reached 41C here today, and is forecast to reach in the high 30s again tomorrow... And it is still so hot that sleep is almost impossible...

Hope all goes well, Nunc. My sympathies on the temps. When Son, DIL and I moved from North Shore to Inner West four days before Christmas 2009, those were the temperatures.

There was a big mess with settlement of purchase so huge truck sat in street for several hours and was finally unloaded at 9:00 pm and it was not much cooler then.

I liked your comment about moving being stressful. So understated.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could never understand why some people looked forward to going to the gym - to me that is stressful. But if you LIKE gymwork, then maybe you could look at it as a good workout - complete with day long sauna! Good luck Nunc. And may you find everything you need when you need it at the other end.

Am offline for a few days while visiting grandchildren. Collecting the 2 older ones to take them interstate to visit their younger cousins. It's a loooong drive with small fry, and I am sadly out of practise with entertaining kids in a car.

Pray for me shippies!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL, audio books on CD from the library have been our unexpected success story with long trips and young ones.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Nunc - I hope the move goes as well as it can, given the weather. Anything over 25c has me melting, so you have my sympathy.

Good news - scientists are saying that by the end of the month they will have more idea of how long it will take the aftershocks to fade to insignificance. Fingers and toes tightly crossed here.

Huia

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by claudine:
Melbourne people, Cranmer's Baggage is in town this week. Anyone interested in a shipmeet on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?

And I am in the Boston of Australia from the 16th to the 24th of Jan. Let me know if any of you Mexicans want to get together.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Nunc,

Hope all went well in the move and that you didn't misplace the clean bedding and towels or the kettle and tea supplies. And perhaps something stronger at the end of the day when you were left by yourself.

--------------------

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or most importantly, the computer! Congratulations on getting your own place, you can put as many hooks into the wall as you like now!
Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
quote:

And I am in the Boston of Australia from the 16th to the 24th of Jan. Let me know if any of you Mexicans want to get together.
DK, I can do Mondays, Tuesdays and weekends. I'd love to meet you.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I hope it went well. It's still hot, but not quite as hot as Monday.
Did you go to the anniversary service?

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
quote:
quote:

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

[Paranoid]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Cheek, [Razz]

Umm... [Confused]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:

I wondered that too and had a good look at the ABC coverage. Didn't catch a glimpse of you but then they basically showed piper and a bit more.

--------------------

claudine
Shipmate
# 12441

quote:
quote:
quote:

Next few weeks are busy for me but late afternoon / early evening may be possible. I can give dodgy directions to food and drink in central locations (sorry CB!)
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Cheek, [Razz]

Umm... [Confused]

Just teasing. DK is very good value. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
quote:

I hope it went well. It's still hot, but not quite as hot as Monday.

No - didn't get to the anniversary service.

The biggest drama with the move is that it's going to take Telstra 6 weeks to connect the phone... The joy of owning (!) a new property...

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our house phone, and probably the majority of new house phones here these days, is wireless - internet and TV signal, too, all wireless - from 2 different suppliers in our case but several companies can supply all three. For our phone the state run landline company quoted 4 - 6 weeks [and a mound of paperwork] so we went to our mobile supplier and walked out with the phone 30 minutes later.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am coming to Brisbane in February.

Moving house sucks massive dog's balls. It is the opposite of fun.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Joy and bliss! Son called, adjusted settings on TV and now all channels show up. As another son said, Channels 9 and 10 don't really add much at all to viewing, but the cricket is back tomorrow.

And the men from O--s have arrived again and seem to be putting bits together in back of ute to take and hopefully fix lift again.

Four weeks tomorrow since it died and 10 days since they took motor away to rebuild. Three floors up is a long way for me to carry groceries, even just top up supplies from main delivery. Toes broken when I moved in here nine months ago object to stairs although ordinary walking is OK.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
.... but the cricket is back tomorrow.

Indeed!

There goes anything productive happening for the next five days. [Big Grin]

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tuesday or the weekend might work. I get in Monday night, leave the following Tuesday. Got to get to the tennis for some of that time.

Do we need a thread? How many Mexican shippies are here? There is your goodself, claudine ... anyone else?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
.... but the cricket is back tomorrow.

Indeed!

There goes anything productive happening for the next five days. [Big Grin]

Or maybe only three and a half days!
Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Has anyone heard anything of Athrawes lately?

Perhaps she's too busy with holidays to be here. Hope so anyway.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Our numbers have dwindled over time DK. We might be able to convince Mavis to come, CB is now in the apple isle, Rowen is in Vic but only just! There were others but I'm not sure where they all are now.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from VIC. We were staying 60kms away from Mt Beauty, where snow was apparently forecast. Don't know if it happened, but I am OVER the southern summer. It is absolutely no different from the rest of the year. I sincerely hope February gives us a glimmer of warmth.
BRRRR L.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And what is this "summer" of which you speak?
As a Victorian, I just shiver away.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Yesterday as I got into my car, the umbrella became caught in the door with a gust of wind--and I got a lap full of hail! [Frown]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ouch, James! I feel for you.

Thanks, Lothlorien, I've been around, but lurking. Last year was *not* a good one - I've never been so sick, or so stressed. Anyway, even posting has been an effort, so I've been mostly reading, and praying when appropriate, especially for Christchurch, but also for you and others.

I'm starting to feel more myself again, thankfully [Yipee]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016