homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Andy Murray - before it's too late!!! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Andy Murray - before it's too late!!!
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
Of course anyone who doesn't know the difference between Scotch and Scots is either terminally stupid or wilfully ignorant and so I shouldn't expect much but...

It's simple - scotch is what the Scots drink.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
quote:
Of course anyone who doesn't know the difference between Scotch and Scots is either terminally stupid or wilfully ignorant and so I shouldn't expect much but...

It's simple - scotch is what the Scots drink.
There is not much wrong with a country that produces a fine malt. Though I admit that I prefer a drop of smooth Welsh Madeira.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Princess Di.

Well. I never saw her in the crowd - must've been banned from the Royal Box for this one.
Time to invent a conspiracy theory that she didn't really die but was spirited away to a remote island where she lives a quiet life unobtrusively clearing away leftover landmines and hiding from holidaymaking paparazzi.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I hate the scotch, they hate us [etc.etc.]...

I know this is hell, but honestly - you should be ashamed of yourself. Try expressing the same sort of sentiments as above, but substitute 'negro' or 'Jew' for 'Scot', and ask yourself if it feels acceptable. And don't try and argue that it isn't the same kind of thing - it is.
Thank you, Anoesis - I couldn't have put it better than that. It drives me up the wall that people can be as rude as they like about the Scots (or the English, for that matter) without fear of any kind of censure.
While I agree with the sentiment, it cannot be said that Scots (or English) have suffered anything like the same level of persecution as black or Jewish people, which if probably why it seems less acceptable.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Time to invent a conspiracy theory that she didn't really die but was spirited away to a remote island where she lives a quiet life unobtrusively clearing away leftover landmines and hiding from holidaymaking paparazzi.

Rumour has it that she is making out with Elvis on Saturn.
Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Molopata The Rebel:
Rumour has it that she is making out with Elvis on Saturn.

While Lord Lucan rides past on Shergar....

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apparently the 'Scotland-Labour-effect' is very small:

See here

AFZ

Very interesting - thank you

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Apparently the 'Scotland-Labour-effect' is very small:

See here

AFZ

Very interesting - thank you
I think that article understates the effect. The Major government had quite so many issues in part because it had such a slender majority that it was at the mercy of a small number of rebels. Had Major had a 70-seat lead rather than a 20-seat lead, the dynamic of that government would have been rather different. Blair would probably have still won the next election, but without such a dramatic landslide. Michael Portillo, for example, would have kept his seat, and probably been elected Tory leader instead of William Hague. Under Portillo, the Tories would have given Blair a closer run for his money in 2001.

This is without even considering the effect that removing individual Scots from the UK political scene would have had.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a host is like being the curator of a public art space. You set the space up. You advertise the opening to the community. You tell them all about the different materials you're going to provide for them to use. Offer them classes in different media. Try to generate excitement about how this is going to be THEIR space to create, to share with each other.

And then the art space finally opens, and the only contribution on the first morning is a 16-year-old scrawling "GAVIN IS A COCKSUCKER" in large letters.

After a while you start lowering your expectations to the point where a good day is when 'cocksucker' is spelled correctly and in an attractive font.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't we being constantly told by art 'experts' that art is only art if it challenges us or shocks us?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
...And then the art space finally opens, and the only contribution on the first morning is a 16-year-old scrawling "GAVIN IS A COCKSUCKER" in large letters.

After a while you start lowering your expectations to the point where a good day is when 'cocksucker' is spelled correctly and in an attractive font.

Consider Pompeii. All it takes is a volcano eruption and then the next time the graffiti are seen they're fascinating.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pyroclastic flow can move over the Damien Hirsts any time it likes.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Were there a god, it would have already happened.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last few posts read rather like the Daily Mail's art and culture column.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
While I agree with the sentiment, it cannot be said that Scots (or English) have suffered anything like the same level of persecution as black or Jewish people, which if probably why it seems less acceptable.

Highlanders were treated not vastly better than black people in the American south for a while after the '45 rebellion. Even within living memory kids were beaten for using Gaelic in school.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:

Highlanders were treated not vastly better than black people in the American south for a while after the '45 rebellion. Even within living memory kids were beaten for using Gaelic in school.
The clearances were bad, no doubt. Very bad indeed, but different.
The differences being the degree and length of poor treatment. And that, if so one chooses, a highlander can appear to be other. Not so when you are black. Oh, and if the highlanders were treated as the Jews were, there'd not be a one left.
------------
ETA:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
The last few posts read rather like the Daily Mail's art and culture column.

This is an evil comment, even for Hell. Mean man.

[ 14. July 2013, 16:14: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The treatment of highlanders probably had more in common with the treatment of Native Americans.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The satirist Craig Brown writes for the Mail on Sunday's Arts section, so we could perhaps interpret this as high praise.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Aren't we being constantly told by art 'experts' that art is only art if it challenges us or shocks us?

Erm... no, not really, no. Possibly on Daily Heil Bullshit Mountain but no, not in the real world.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The treatment of highlanders probably had more in common with the treatment of Native Americans.

Not really. Scottish chiefs and Lairds who lived on the land kept ownership and the Highlanders were, with some exceptions, shipped out to overseas or to cities.

With a few exceptions, when found on land wanted by colonists or settlers, Native Americans were pretty much exterminated on site within the US until the mid 1800's. Canadians did slightly better only because of the fur trade.

E.g. A reading of American discussions during the early part of the 1800's indicates an almost universal fear, verging on paranoia, of Indians and being scalped. It caused the US to make weird political and military decisions during the War of 1812.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't we verging off topic to some general chit-chat here?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I could have said anybody who compares the Highland clearances to the chaotic but persistant destruction of all Native Americans, with all the gore and mess and retaliations that money, greed, racism and religion can provide is a tartan fetishing drama queen who has no clue as to the breadth of history but prefers the easy answer because it sounds sensible and pithy on the internet.

Like who the fuck has Genocide envy?!

But that might be going too far.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Aren't we verging off topic to some general chit-chat here?

We are, but I was hoping for some "Only One True Scotsman" bollocks before this thread sinks beneath the waves of apathy.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
general chit-chat

Now I'm hungry for some General Tso's chicken.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is his chicken better than Colonel Sanders'?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Is his chicken better than Colonel Sanders'?

Depends on who make it, but generally yes.

[ 15. July 2013, 19:47: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

This is fascinating stuff and perfect for the Burnt Offerings thread.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016