homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Postponing Sex (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Postponing Sex
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus was the Son of God, though.

--------------------
Need writing or copywriting? Visit me at...

www.rjpmedia.net

Posts: 171 | From: Twickenham | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So are you.

Ooh and SvitlanaV2! Sorry for the previous missing V.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, God, in His infinite wisdom, made me in his image. He didn't make me perfect or anything remotely like it.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Be thou perfect. Just like me mate. Aspire in the gutter of running sewage.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

I can't be perfect, as I'm not built to be.

And I respect anyone's decisions over sex, from those who choose to abstain to those who, after prayerful contemplation, decide that it's okay in certain circumstances.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Be thou perfect. Just like me mate. Aspire in the gutter of running sewage.

--------------------
Love wins

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

What's the 'gutter of running sewage,' incidentally?

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

My mad-sane-mad stream of consciousness, my life, my narrative, me.

And all heart broken heart breakers.

And all the broken.

--------------------
Love wins

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

Pardon?

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Granted.

--------------------
Love wins

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

Oh, dear.

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Indeed.

--------------------
Love wins

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a discussion board, it helps if people attempt to use their words to communicate. For the more poetic amongst us - there is the Circus.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
For instance, is there any Biblical instruction against (heterosexual) oral sex or (heterosexual) anal sex?

American Calvinist Mark Driscoll is a high-profile and controversial proponent of both.

I haven't read his books, so I don't know to what extent his case is biblically based.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
quote:
For instance, is there any Biblical instruction against (heterosexual) oral sex or (heterosexual) anal sex?

American Calvinist Mark Driscoll is a high-profile and controversial proponent of both.
He's a high-profile and controversial proponent of both oral and anal sex? [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
quote:

He's a high-profile and controversial proponent of both oral and anal sex? [Biased]
He really is!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
St Deird
Shipmate
# 7631

- Posted      Profile for St Deird   Author's homepage   Email St Deird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
There is of course nothing wrong with celibacy - but I just wouldn't expect a celibate person to instruct others on sexuality!

Being celibate doesn't mean your sex drive disappears. I'd say celibate people could have a lot to say on how to deal with your sexuality in a healthy way if you're not currently having sex.

--------------------
They're not hobbies; they're a robust post-apocalyptic skill-set.

Posts: 319 | From: the other side of nowhere | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
quote:

He really is!
It's really not all that unusual a position (no pun intended). As we've seen, most anyone, evangelical or otherwise, who's done any study of Song of Solomon would (and has) come to a similar conclusion. Driscoll likes to think he's being edgy and cutting-edge, but actually he's not contributing anything more than an adolescent boy giggling because somebody said "boobies" in church.

[ 30. June 2013, 05:39: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Deird:
quote:
There is of course nothing wrong with celibacy - but I just wouldn't expect a celibate person to instruct others on sexuality!

Being celibate doesn't mean your sex drive disappears. I'd say celibate people could have a lot to say on how to deal with your sexuality in a healthy way if you're not currently having sex.
Of course, but most people are not celibate. Most people not currently having sex expect to have sex again at some stage...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
It's really not all that unusual a position (no pun intended). As we've seen, most anyone, evangelical or otherwise, who's done any study of Song of Solomon would (and has) come to a similar conclusion. Driscoll likes to think he's being edgy and cutting-edge, but actually he's not contributing anything more than an adolescent boy giggling because somebody said "boobies" in church.

You mean.........it wasn't referring to her navel?

[Biased]

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Driscoll likes to think he's being edgy and cutting-edge, but actually he's not contributing anything more than an adolescent boy giggling because somebody said "boobies" in church.

Maybe not to theological scholarship, but he might be contributing something to his congregation and to other congregations of a similar ilk.

In the age of the internet we forget that not every video is going to represent earth-shattering originality. And I suspect that very few 'churchy' videos are designed to impress viewers with advanced theological knowledge. I shouldn't think that's Driscoll's priority, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

So, idiotically of course (and yes I read Faulkner's beautifully ironic tale inspired by the Scottish play 40 plus years ago DTO, hubris eh?), WWJD?

And no, I'm no longer satisfied with looking at the world from varifocal glasses that took thousands of years of crafting that stopped thousands of years ago.

(You see the trick DTO, is to spin your internal narrative so that others get stuck in the web, then you can study your prey at your leisure.)

So, despite becoming a neo-liberal, sex remains a litmus test of being Christian. Christ like. Christos. Anointed. Chesed. Blessed to bless.

Not delinquent.

--------------------
Love wins

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Driscoll likes to think he's being edgy and cutting-edge, but actually he's not contributing anything more than an adolescent boy giggling because somebody said "boobies" in church.

Maybe not to theological scholarship, but he might be contributing something to his congregation and to other congregations of a similar ilk.

In the age of the internet we forget that not every video is going to represent earth-shattering originality. And I suspect that very few 'churchy' videos are designed to impress viewers with advanced theological knowledge. I shouldn't think that's Driscoll's priority, but I could be wrong.

Right insight, wrong recipient IMHO. I suppose the large crowds following Driscoll indicate he's doing something that's resonating with someone, even if it's a mystery to me why. You're absolutely right that Driscoll's use of the internet, as well as his large and influential congregation represent a tremendous opportunity. My point is that instead of using that opportunity to proclaim a transformational message of grace or the radical gift of God's breaking into our lives, he using the platform to talk about tits and wieners with all the gravitas and social significance of a 13 year old boy. It's tragic that he chooses to use his considerable platform to do nothing more than spread misogynist prattle.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My point is that instead of using that opportunity to proclaim a transformational message of grace or the radical gift of God's breaking into our lives, he using the platform to talk about tits and wieners with all the gravitas and social significance of a 13 year old boy. It's tragic that he chooses to use his considerable platform to do nothing more than spread misogynist prattle.

ISTM this is why he has a considerable platform. Which only increases the tragedy.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
This is a discussion board, it helps if people attempt to use their words to communicate.

What?
(skims through Purg threads)
Are you quite certain of this?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

What does 'delinquency' mean in this context?

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Its primary meaning.

--------------------
Love wins

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

Sorry, you write elliptically, arguably as a substitute for any intellectual effort, and give me nothing to argue with.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It's just rather irritating when someone states that the Christian view is that sex before marriage is wrong. That's not correct.

I see many different Christian positions on sexuality, and I would hate to think that my own position was the correct one, and everybody else is wrong.

There is a conversation about sexuality, not a monologue.
[/QUOTE
Sex outside marriage is wrong. The bible both old and new testament teach that fornication is a sin, and to me fornication means any sexual activity outside of marriage, Correct me if you think that is not correct. So whether it is within a steady relationship or casual it is still wrong.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1

Posts: 1050 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

Fornication sounds like a broad church.

Could it also mean anal sex within marriage?

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DouglasTheOtter:
Fornication sounds like a broad church.

Could it also mean anal sex within marriage?

First time I have heard. That but they say one learns something new every day.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

It was a question.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Barrea - firstly, not all Christians believe in the inerrancy of Scripture. The Scriptural argument alone is not convincing for me personally.

Also, could you please quote what Old Testament verses you are thinking of that condemn fornication (which is defined as sexual intercourse between two people who are not married to each other - certainly not including anal sex within marriage!)? There is quite a lot of fornication within the OT!

For the New Testament, there are two words used that deal with sexual immorality - moicheia (adultery) and porneia (commonly translated as fornication or more commonly just sexual immorality). 'Sexual immorality' is obviously quite a vague term and it's not possible to define it strictly as fornication - the Septuagint uses it in reference to male temple prostitution, for instance.

I have no issue with people who interpret the Bible as suggesting that pre-marital sex is sinful, my problem is with saying that it is clear-cut and obvious as to what the Bible says on the subject. As with much in the Bible, it isn't. The Bible really says very little on sex at all.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I fail to see what's elliptical about the use of the word delinquency in the context of sexual behaviour. I'm more than comfortable with my utter lack of intellectual capacity, you've barely begun to scratch the surface of my vacuous mediocrity. You win. No argument.

Delinquent is as delinquent does.

And, Jade Constable (fellow Northamptonian), it is obvious, with no ambiguity whatsoever, at every stage of cultural evolution that the term is used, what the Bible means by adultery-fornication.

What's that got to do with us?

How do we get from there to here? What is the trajectory? The Old Covenant is lethally homophobic. Paul is barely less. And less Christian? Less met by Christ where he was?

Christ the racist.

We've evolved. Now isn't then. Legalism is as bad when wielded by liberals as conservatives, not a mistake Steve Chalke makes. Or makes any more.

What would Jesus do now? If He were incarnate now in the West. Would He be a sexually active teenager? And how would He minister to sexually active teenagers?

What is God OK with and not OK with and how sophisticated, like He was with the woman at the well, in between?

--------------------
Love wins

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

What do you consider to be delinquent behaviour?

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is quite a lot of fornication within the OT!

Not sure what you have in mind here, JC.

There is certainly a lot in the OT about sexual relationships which makes us uncomfortable, such as polygamy, concubinage, and the treatment of female slaves, rape victims and prisoners of war, but everything is covered by some sort of law, and there is no toleration of unregulated casual promiscuity.

The only exception which I can think of off the top of my head is the story of Judah and the prostitute, which seems to imply that if she had not been his daughter-in-law Tamar in disguise, the transaction would have been quite normal and routine.

Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The laws seem to have covered women who belonged to Israelite men whether as kin or as slaves. They didn't cover temporary interactions by Israelite men with women who weren't Israelites. Though there were some gaps even for Jewish women. No explicit laws on what happens if a widow or divorced woman is raped (Tamar's threatened punishment seems to indicate consensual sex still meant death though her status as betrothed [though not bedded] by Judah's third son may have been key). Raping someone's wife would be adultery and so death for the man; the only question might be is if the wife suffered the penalty for that crime also (the law only covers betrothed women).

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Thoughtlessness. No regard for consequence.

--------------------
Love wins

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

So... two gay guys getting married and having sex would be perfectly fine, but sex outside marriage isn't?

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DouglasTheOtter:
So... two gay guys getting married and having sex would be perfectly fine, but sex outside marriage isn't? [/QUOT

I think you may be taking the mick, you know as well as I do that sex between two men is forbidden according to scripture whether it is inside or outside a so called marriage. Lev.20:13

--------------------

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

Ah. A homophobe.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DouglasTheOtter:
So... two gay guys getting married and having sex would be perfectly fine, but sex outside marriage isn't? [/QUOT

I think you may be taking the mick, you know as well as I do that sex between two men is forbidden according to scripture whether it is inside or outside a so called marriage. Lev.20:13

If we're still under Levitical law, we're all in trouble - unless you never wear mixed fibre clothing!

Homosexuality is a Dead Horse and should be discussed there not in Purgatory, but safe to say that 'forbidden according to Scripture' is only one take on it and there are plenty of legitimate takes on the issue.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

If by marriage we mean outside a fully responsible, accountable, transparent, other centred and whatever synonym you fancy relationship, of course.

--------------------
Love wins

DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

Good. Just checking. So the rule here seems to be that penetrative sex, inside marriage, is allowed. Now we've established this as a baseline, it gives us something to work with.

What do you consider to be sex?

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
quote:
So... two gay guys getting married and having sex would be perfectly fine, but sex outside marriage isn't?

If we're still under Levitical law, we're all in trouble - unless you never wear mixed fibre clothing!

Homosexuality is a Dead Horse and should be discussed there not in Purgatory

Yes. Let's leave it there.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What do you consider to be sex?

Now that is an interesting question to try to answer economically.

Anything done by, with or to one's genitals that is not for the purpose of health care, self care or excretion ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

In the spirit of the law it includes foreplay and thinking about any of it.

--------------------
Love wins

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do nipples count?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

The 'what is sex' question is an interesting one as I imagine every unmarried Christian couple has a different answer. To some, any form of genital touching might be wrong, while others might feel that they can 'get away' with mutual masturbation. As I said before, I think it's down to you - and your conscience.

--------------------

www.rjpmedia.net

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I suppose we are then in to the minefield of flirting -> petting -> heavy petting -> foreplay -> sex. I was only trying to define sex.

Perhaps it would be better to advise couples to stick to anything_thing_you_can_do_in_front_of_your_mother_without_feeling_embarrassed ...

(Assuming you are aiming for traditional morality.)

[ 01. July 2013, 19:28: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doublethink: I suppose we are then in to the minefield of flirting -> petting -> heavy petting -> foreplay -> sex.
I don't consider that a particularly bad minefield to be in [Biased]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016