homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Perfect Pizza (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Perfect Pizza
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I may:

Never, ever put cilantro (coriander) on pizza or on anything else. Or I will personally pack up myself and go get my own pizza or anything else.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
One of my favorite pizza places near my work does a pie with very finely mashed potatoes instead of sauce, along with sausage and black olives. Surprisingly (unless you know the place), it's pretty durn good.

My mother used to make pizza out of the Greens cookbook, published by Greens restaurant in San Francisco. One of the best was made of thinly sliced waxy potatoes, thinly sliced red onion, olive oil, thyme sprigs and pungent goat cheese. Not ordinary, but delightful.

A nice way to spruce up a frozen pizza is a handful of arugula and a little extra cheese. (Wednesday night is frozen pizza night at our house, since I usually have about 45 minutes between the time I get home from work and call for choir rehearsal.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to look up arugula. The internet says we know it as rocket. In case anyone on this side of the Atlantic is wondering.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmm, coriander. I love it although have never had it on a pizza.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
/tangent

I'm beginning to think that cilantro and coriander are actually different, on the basis that so many Americans and Canadians detest the former while so many Brits like the latter.

tangent/

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I had to look up arugula. The internet says we know it as rocket. In case anyone on this side of the Atlantic is wondering.

Ah right, that's the final garnish on my inauthentic pizza, a ton of rocket.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's actually quite traditional in Italy, as I understand it.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fairly tolerant of almost anything on a pizza, but I draw the line at raw green leaves - whether rocket, basil, coriander or anything else.

If adding onions - and I usually do - microwave them for a minute first and sprinkle with a pinch of brown sugar.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cook chopped onions with tomato puree and sometimes a pinch of herbs. This forms the base sauce for my pizza. The extra-mature cheese goes on that with the mushrooms (ok, strictly speaking it's an Ai Funghi rather than a Margherita, but I eat it anyway).

I have tried other pizzas in my time including a seafood one, but always seem to come back to the same one.

Pizzas of the World. Who would have thought it was so popular in the Far East?

[ 10. March 2014, 20:25: Message edited by: Ariel ]

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to make home made pizza every Sunday for dinner. Mom's dough and sauce recipe came from a transplanted Italian friend. (Pizza was unheard of in that area when I was a teen.)

We didn't get too adventurous with our toppings, it was mozzarella and pepperoni on one and just cheese on the other every time. Later, we started experimenting with veggies(no fruits, thank you!) which suited my vegetarian mother just fine.

I think we have a hostly hat trick, here!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not a fan of onion full stop, to be honest, but do like rocket on a pizza. An unfortunate experience has sadly put me off pesto though.

I'm not a huge fan of uncooked tomato sauce either, although I know it's traditional. I prefer white pizza in general anyway but if I have to have red sauce, I want a regular cooked marinara.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
/tangent

I'm beginning to think that cilantro and coriander are actually different, on the basis that so many Americans and Canadians detest the former while so many Brits like the latter.

tangent/

Apparently, the soapy taste of cilantrander is something that, with exposure, goes away; I know I, who grew up on Tex-Mex salsas and the like, can't taste it, but my mom, who didn't, sure can. Similarly, I'm guessing Brits with their curries get acclimated to the stuff, while northern Americans and Canadians, who have neither Mexican nor curries as a common dish, probably don't.

Now I'm trying to think of a pizza that would benefit from it. Other than the not entirely uncommon taco (mild salsa for sauce, ground beef, cheddar cheese, jalapenos) or barbecue (pulled pork/brisket, cheddar, sometimes jalapenos, barbecue sauce), I'm having a bit of trouble. Perhaps tika pizza, if such (no doubt) exists?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
/tangent

tangent/

Same plant. In general usage, coriander = Seed, Cilantro = leaf, IME anyway.
Many people do not like the leaves, but are fine with the seeds. The taste is different.
I like both, so I do not care.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
/tangent

tangent/

Apparently, the soapy taste of cilantrander is something that, with exposure, goes away; I know I, who grew up on Tex-Mex salsas and the like, can't taste it, but my mom, who didn't, sure can. Similarly, I'm guessing Brits with their curries get acclimated to the stuff, while northern Americans and Canadians, who have neither Mexican nor curries as a common dish, probably don't.

Now I'm trying to think of a pizza that would benefit from it. Other than the not entirely uncommon taco (mild salsa for sauce, ground beef, cheddar cheese, jalapenos) or barbecue (pulled pork/brisket, cheddar, sometimes jalapenos, barbecue sauce), I'm having a bit of trouble. Perhaps tika pizza, if such (no doubt) exists?

I have seen a spicy chicken pizza advertised as having chopped coriander (leaf) on it. In the UK many pizza takeaways are run by Turkish or Pakistani immigrants and tikka pizzas are not uncommon (and said pizza places are more often than not halal, so beef pepperoni and turkey ham etc).

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the soapy taste (or not) is genetic. I'm guessing your Dad also didn't taste soap.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Actually, the soapy taste (or not) is genetic. I'm guessing your Dad also didn't taste soap.

I've heard that too—but also that you can acquire the taste for the stuff.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall cilantro and coriander making their debut here in the 1980s. I remember the restaurant and meal very clearly. I ultimately didn't eat my meal.

My mother couldn't cook worth anything but my father who spent some years growing up in Singapore made the palatable foods, mostly curries, but also Cantonese, Thia, Vietnamese etc. Lots of fusion. He made curry pizza too. But we never had any cilantro in anything. I think it must be from a specific cultural group and then expanded out of control somewhere post WW2.

I can taste cilantro at very, very small quantities. But it does not taste like soap to me. It tastes indescribably foul, with a sensation not unlike a piece of tinfoil contacting a tooth filling, plus something else rancid. I've not found anything else that tastes anything like it, and I eat virtually everything else, including arugala (rocket) and all the things "supertasters" are supposed to reject like brussels sprouts. Though we don't put brussls sprouts on pizzas, they and arugula are too expensive most of the time to buy at all.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't eat onion or shallot - I get really ill so have had to learn to adapt things.

But in a tomato sauce for pizza you shouldn't have onion anyway - a little garlic and roughly torn basil at the very end but basically its just de-seeded and skinned tomato cooked down very slowly until you have just thick tomato.

Cheddar cheese on pizza [Eek!] noooo

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

I've heard that too—but also that you can acquire the taste for the stuff.
Appears to be genetic-ish, same with ginger, I believe.

Stupid x-posts

[ 11. March 2014, 03:43: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
But in a tomato sauce for pizza you shouldn't have onion anyway - a little garlic and roughly torn basil at the very end but basically it's just de-seeded and skinned tomato cooked down very slowly until you have just thick tomato.

Yes, passata (which ought to be sieved, really). And if you're doing it according to The Rules™ you ought ideally to use the best buffalo mozzarella. However, this thread is about the Perfect Pizza For You Personally, so I'm fine with my own variation on a theme. It's really a sort of Ai Funghi e Cipolle* rather than a Margherita but I get intense cravings for a tomato-onion-tangy cheese combo sometimes.

quote:
Cheddar cheese on pizza [Eek!] noooo
You might not remember the Seventies, but you'd have had a bit of difficulty sourcing fresh basil and mozzarella in your average supermarket in those days. In fact back in the Sixties pizza was pretty rare, partly because not a lot of people travelled abroad in those days. One enterprising young man decided to sell pizza slices as a snack outside Wembley Stadium one time - the only way he could shift them was to clap two of them together and market it as a cheese and tomato toasted sandwich. We've come some way since then.

* with mushrooms and onions

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like coriander leaf and often have a plant on my windowsill. I use it often in curries, occasionally with pasta (I love coriander pesto), but it would never occur to me to put it on pizza which, IMO, needs something cleaner tasting on it. I would use fresh basil which is far more suited to tomato and cheese dishes.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It always amazes me how food generates purism/fascism/snobbery, but then I suppose everything does.

I have a Cornish friend who goes pale, then red, then very angry, if he hears the words 'carrot' and 'Cornish pasty' in the same sentence, let alone in the same dish (yes, Greggs, I'm thinking of you).

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Fruit of any kind does not belong on a pizza.

Well, that's not strictly true. Tomato is a fruit, after all.

The perfect pizza (for me) hasn't quite happened yet in my oven. I've got a decent dough recipe, but it's not perfect and I'm still looking around for another. But it will be topped with a homemade margherita sauce, a local goat cheese that I love, sundried tomatoes (the ones packed in oil), a few pepperoni, and perhaps a dash of fresh mushrooms. And the cheese... I've discovered that using part-skim "mozzarella" just does not work. It's too dry and rubbery, and doesn't melt down properly. It has to be the real thing. Mrs. Friar and I are going to learn how to make our own this summer, so of course we'll add that to our pizza.

Pizza stones are amazing, both for pizza and for other baked goods. Even when using a pan, a stone can help regulate the temperature in your oven.

I think wood fired ovens make the best pizza, and as soon as I can build one, I certainly will.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Appears to be genetic-ish,[/URL] same with ginger, I believe.

I never knew there were genetic variations in how people taste ginger. Can you tell me where I can learn more?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It always amazes me how food generates purism/fascism/snobbery, but then I suppose everything does.

Yes. Pizza isn't even posh food, but as you say, everything does.

It's the aesthetic question rearing its head again (as it did on the Art thread), in that there are expected standards which should not diverge too far before the object can no longer meet the defining criteria of what is Art, or in this case, what is Pizza. I'm not sure that the defining criteria for Pizza have ever really been clearly established, other than that for certain sub-types. Whether there is a Platonic form of the Ideal Pizza we will never know, although I'm sure that as with Art, Aristotle would have agreed that a good pizza should certainly satisfy and leave you feeling better able to handle the world, life, etc.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
/tangent

tangent/

My guess is our two-and-a-half centuries exposure to Indian and middle-eastern food which kicked off just about the time our American cousins said goodbye. In some ways Anglo-American food preserves early modern English tastes more than ours does. Which is maybe why we Brits often find it too sweet, too meaty, and did I say far too sweet?

It was fun being taken by an American colleague to a very downmarket Mexican-American restaurant in Houston (formica on tables, concrete floor, booze in the same kind of cheap French indestructible glasses we used to have at school dinners) and bought some spicy food with hot peppers in it, and expected to wince at the heat. Of course us Brits had been eating curries all our lives and hardly noticed.

(Now Jamaican peppers - they are too hot...)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Maybe its because it isn't really that important so it lets you have a nice fun bitch session without really hurting anybody. You say something foolish about tea or coffee or beer or cheese or haggis or bread - bread! - and I can happily rant out loud without actually saying anything genuinely nasty or personal. [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

You might not remember the Seventies, but you'd have had a bit of difficulty sourcing fresh basil and mozzarella in your average supermarket in those days. In fact back in the Sixties pizza was pretty rare, partly because not a lot of people travelled abroad in those days.

I honestly didn't even know what a pizza was when I was ten years old.

--------------------
Ken

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:

I have a Cornish friend who goes pale, then red, then very angry, if he hears the words 'carrot' and 'Cornish pasty' in the same sentence, let alone in the same dish (yes, Greggs, I'm thinking of you).

Quite right too. Carrot LEGALLY now has no place in a proper Cornish pasty. Neither does minced beef. A Cornish pasty has potato, onion, swede and diced skirt steak only, all put in the pasty raw too.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:

The perfect pizza (for me) hasn't quite happened yet in my oven.

No, it wouldn't. Your oven isn't hot enough, and whilst pizza stones help, they're not perfect.

It is, allegedly, possible to gimmick the safety interlock on the cleaning cycle and cook pizza with an oven running its self-clean cycle, which gets rather hotter than the regular cooking settings, but these kinds of antics are best reserved for people who don't mind destroying their ovens, or themselves.

Wood-fired brick ovens are wonderful things, but a little impractical for cooking a single pizza. You can, I gather, buy gas-fired ones, which are a little less hassle, but you're still looking at 45 minutes or so pre-heat time for a couple of minutes of cooking, which isn't exactly either the epitome of domestic convenience or economy.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Artman
Apprentice
# 18047

- Posted      Profile for Artman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little over a year ago in our town, a place called "Perfect Pizza" opened, so of course I needed to mention it on this board. Overall, pretty good stuff, making the specialized ones a little more unique than just changing one meat topping and calling it a whole new name. The crust is good enough that the kids will eat it (I like crust a lot, so they often give me what they don't).

But the best way the place earns its name is that once a week, after he gets home from kindergarten, I take my youngest son there for the lunch special- 2 slices and a drink for $5.99. He loves it, and we get to have a perfect little lunch together.

Posts: 1 | From: Oregon, USA | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Hello, and welcome, Artman - and thank you for the wonderfully appropriate post! [Big Grin]

I hope you enjoy your time on the boards. Do have a look at the board guidelines at the top of each board, as the rules can vary depending on which one you're on. And if you wanted to pop over to the Welcome Aboard thread and introduce yourself (it's not compulsory), people will be very pleased to welcome you.

Happy posting!

Ariel
Heaven Host

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Maybe its because it isn't really that important so it lets you have a nice fun bitch session without really hurting anybody. You say something foolish about tea or coffee or beer or cheese or haggis or bread - bread! - and I can happily rant out loud without actually saying anything genuinely nasty or personal. [Razz]
The various Gawker websites have this down to an art- publish an official ranking of any kind of food, take a strong stance that one of the more popular regional variations ranks somewhere below getting hit by a bus, and watch the clicks and comments roll in.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Later, we started experimenting with veggies(no fruits, thank you!) which suited my vegetarian mother just fine.

But, but but..

Pizza must have tomato.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Later, we started experimenting with veggies(no fruits, thank you!) which suited my vegetarian mother just fine.

But, but but..

Pizza must have tomato.

Not at all. Not even in Italy does all pizza have tomato - 'white' aka sauceless pizza is fairly common.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pizza must have tomato.

Not white pizza.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
quote:

But, but but..

Pizza must have tomato.

Not at all. Not even in Italy does all pizza have tomato - 'white' aka sauceless pizza is fairly common.
Right, but the olives that go into the olive oil are also technically fruit. (A post quibbling over a technicality in a post quibbling over a technicality in a post quibbling over a technicality- come on guys, one more level and we have the record!)

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The perfect pizza is whatever you choose to order at Casa Bianca Pizza Pie in the Eagle Rock district of Los Angeles just west of the San Rafael district of Pasadena. The triple storefront is on the south side of Colorado Boulevard. There are lines around the block on Friday and Saturday nights: they do not need a web-site as everybody knows them. I lived across the street from the Martorana family for more than ten years and the only perk I get is that we can pay by cheque! Two brothers from Sicily established the restaurant in 1955...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
quote:

But, but but..

Pizza must have tomato.

I have actually had that, and it ain't bad. I think the default around here is to call that "focaccia" so as nit to send the locals into a tail spin.

Eta: usually served as an appetizer at parties, alongside a plate of antipasto you can layer in if you wish.

[ 11. March 2014, 23:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Layer what? Real pizza has no layers!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's just fine, because I wasn't talking about traditional pizza.*I was talking about focaccia. You take a small slice of the focaccia (which is kind of like deep dish pizza without any toppings, sometimes the lightest brush of marinara), lay on a slice of salami, a slice of raw mozzarella, and bite.

* although I am dying to hear what the Chicago folk have to say about layers. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

Crust, sauce, cheese. Three layers on virtually 99% of all pizzas. And that's before toppings.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

That, too.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, but but..

Pizza must have tomato.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Right, but the olives that go into the olive oil are also technically fruit.

While both olives and tomatoes meet the botanical definition of fruit, neither meet the more intuitive and sensible definition. Namely that if you eat it with main course, it's a vegetable (especially if cooked), and if you eat it raw for desert, it's a fruit.

So olives and tomatoes are vegetables.

Oh and by the way Mrs Beaky, on the availability of good pizza in Kenya.... combine the availability of fresh sea food and a large Italian community in Malindi and what do you have?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Tangent] My Gramma, who grew up in Park City, said a favorite family dessert when she was a kid was to take a bowl of fresh snow, put sliced/ chopped tomatoes over it, sprinkle sugar and milk, and eat it like ice cream. She would sigh over the memory of the sweet tomato juice. never tried it, but she swore it was to die for.[/tangent]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Crust, sauce, cheese. Three layers on virtually 99% of all pizzas. And that's before toppings.
Which bears out my assertion that pizza is just posh cheese on toast.

[Smile]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin]

Preschool teacher special-- half a (forgive me) English muffin (sort of crumpety) dollop of prepared marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella-- mini pizzas!
Don't knock them till you've tried them.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
[Big Grin]

Preschool teacher special-- half a (forgive me) English muffin (sort of crumpety) dollop of prepared marinara sauce, shredded mozzarella-- mini pizzas!
Don't knock them till you've tried them.

I told my wife about that (who is herself a preschool teacher) and she snurled her nose at it. Ain't no accountin' fer taste. [Disappointed]

[ 12. March 2014, 12:56: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

French bread or English muffin pizzas are great.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Which bears out my assertion that pizza is just posh cheese on toast.

[Smile]

Delete posh. Where did the idea come from that pizza is posh, even by comparison to cheese on toast? It can be stylish, excellent and healthy (or in the case of the "Hawaiian Pizza", an outrage), but how a dish with such humble origins can become posh is a mystery.

(btw, cheese on tomato on toast with marmite is pretty good too. But that isn't posh either)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016