homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pacifica plays... Australia, NZ and the like!
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome the new year in... At least back home.

Here, vacationing in the US, I still am in 2013, but my fellow Aussies and others are well into 2014... I was watching some of the news reports. Fireworks, celebrations, fire, cyclone, heat - you folk have it all.

Life continues to be fun. I do enjoy long service leave... Very relaxed and happy. And cold. And surrounded by loving extended family...

Happy New Year to those back home.
Happy new thread!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year all in the Antipodes.

If you haven't seen it, can I recommend Gardening with Soul, a lovely film that follows Sister Loyola of the Sisters of Mercy in Island Bay through her 90th year. Went to see it with a friend and my mum last week, and we all loved it.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodbye 2013 and hello 2014.
Bound to be both bouncy and bumpy in Banner land, but somehow we'll cope. Having New Year's Day lunch with an 84 yr old and a 95 yr old, today, Neither of whom hold back their opinions, so I guess I'm bound to learn a lot. [Razz]

HNY shippies, and be kind to yourselves.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year to all, including Rowen living in the past.

Great night last night. The new production is interesting and makes the transition well. But we still have fond memories of the 1980s production. Slowly getting ourselves together, but have an 11 o'clock checkout.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year to all.

If you took a couple of double shots of coffee to get moving this morning, then you might enjoy this, Coffeedoxy and heterodoxy

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year to all my chums Down Under! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Piglet - is it yet 1 Jan right across Canada? I get lost with the daylight saving changes and so forth.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not quite - it's 2:45 a.m. here in Newfoundland, so it'll still be yesterday in Alberta and British Columbia, if you see what I mean.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have just heard that M, my 9 year old granddaughter was admitted to hospital this morning. She has not been well for several weeks. Tests are being done and hopefully we will know something soon.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, feel free to have an easier year this year.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loved the link, Loth.

(I seem to have begun 2014 all alliteratively around All Saints. [Ultra confused] ) [Help]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
We have just heard that M, my 9 year old granddaughter was admitted to hospital this morning. She has not been well for several weeks. Tests are being done and hopefully we will know something soon.

Bad news. Hospital is 99% sure it's leukaemia. She will have spinal tap, brain fluid drain, lumbar puncture, bone marrow puncture tomorrow under general anaesthetic to see which type of leukaemia it is.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
((M, Loth & family)) [Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Bad news. Hospital is 99% sure it's leukaemia. She will have spinal tap, brain fluid drain, lumbar puncture, bone marrow puncture tomorrow under general anaesthetic to see which type of leukaemia it is.
[Votive] Lothlorien [Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(((Loth))) [Votive] for Grand-daughter

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Lothlorien - [Votive]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My prayers

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive]
Loth – you and yours could have done without more grief.
Prayers for whatever can be positive in the outcome.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Lothlorien and family [Votive]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for you and your grand-daughter, Lothlorien.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That is very sad news Lothlorien. Our prayers for you, your grand-daughter and those treating her.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An article by a psychologist struck a chord.

His take on 'S*** happens; misery is optional' continues: '[events] can cause pressure, but such factors don't cause stress unless you let them... Stress is how you react to the event, not the event itself.'

I don't presume to offer this as a panacea to shipmates who may have problems that I couldn't handle, but it made sense to me; in fact, I think it illustrates how I have been trying to cope in our situation. Even the Grandad, when things get on top of him, tries to make the best of it with our quote 'It's an adventure'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, I am so sorry

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, I don't know what to say. Childhood cancer is horrendous. I do pray for M, her family and you as you deal with yet another horrible life event.

[ 01. January 2014, 22:15: Message edited by: Athrawes ]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, prayers for you and your granddaughter an the whole family are banging the gates of heaven!

If you are willing to give me her name, either on main screen or in a message, I will add her name to the community prayer list. [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank You. PM sent.

She is having platelets transfused this morning as blood clotting ability is far too low. We don 't yet know when the general anaesthetic will be for the other procedures, just that she is on the emergency list.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth, prayers for you, M and the whole family.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Praying for you and your family Lothlorien.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh, Loth, my dear friend! Many prayers for you. [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

It's Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia, the one the doctors say is easier to treat and the one with a higher rate of remission. A week in hospital on steroids, then chemo and more tests. No hair in three weeks. Some treatment out of hospital and continuing testing and treatment for a couple of years.

So a new way of life starts for her and family.

[ 02. January 2014, 06:38: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

The nude head look is so in these days. But if not,then perhaps a nice curly bubblegum wig will do wonders for morale. Or not. Grandma should consult with the person most affected.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Constant prayers, Loth, for you and for M and her family.
[Votive] [Votive]

GG

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My prayers join those of others. [Votive] Loth, could you PM me a name, too, please, so I can add her to the prayers of my cathedral?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you, Zappa. We all appreciate the prayers and concern for her. PM sent.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive]

--------------------

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year to youse all. I spent it making pizzas, baking pizzas and eating pizzas. Start as you intend to continue, I say.

Loth, Leukaemia sucks balls and I hope your little one is OK. I have asked the Blessed Virgin to intercede on her behalf because I am no good at praying for people myself.

I'll be in Sydney next week at NCYC if anyone will be there too, or is around Parramatta way.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hiya all.
[Votive] for Loth and the kiddlywink. Awful stuff.
Trashed my poor little heart in 2013. Learned a lot, too. Here's to better days. And much better decisions.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Loth and family
[Votive] DK

Day at the cricket today with Biggest, enjoying a corp box at invitation of Biggest's rep team coach. It's quite amusing when 8 fifteen year old boys start sprouting about the game.
Rest day tomorrow then cricket next 4 out of 5 days. And loving it!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Results were hardly in from all the tests and granddaughter was receiving first dose of steroids. Doctors are quietly optimistic about final outcome, but that will be a couple of years down the track, even if all goes very well indeed. More chemo every Friday and other medications at other various times.

She is good friends with another little girl at school who is emerging out the other end of this journey so that's good. Westmead sends nurses and educators to the school to explain to students and staff what is going on, why the baldness etc.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Loth & family, Very sorry to hear about it, I can't imagine what a bastard of a thing it must be to go through. My understanding though is that rates of cure are excellent for childhood leukaemia so there is cause for optimism.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien and family, I've put you on my list above the computer, next to my cousin and a good friend who both have leukaemia. Your little one is in wonderful company (my cousin has added her to her prayer list as well), and I hope all goes well.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
[Votive] Loth & family, Very sorry to hear about it, I can't imagine what a bastard of a thing it must be to go through. My understanding though is that rates of cure are excellent for childhood leukaemia so there is cause for optimism.

Doctors are optimistic about this. Rate of total remission of ALL is 98%. I won't let my mind think about the other 2%.

Thanks Arabella. Support of many types has poured in from everywhere. My son is amazed at it.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Loth, I lit an candle for your grand-daugjter and family during our church service today (we do it as part of our prayers for the world) so there will probably be other prayers floating up from other people in the congregation.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Hi Loth, I lit an candle for your grand-daugjter and family during our church service today (we do it as part of our prayers for the world) so there will probably be other prayers floating up from other people in the congregation.

Huia

All prayers appreciated. Thanks. She ate 8 corn chips today, the most food she's had in a day for quite a while. She is now on a drip but has not been eating much at all before that. Drip should ensure she loses no more.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We lit one also at an icon of Our Lady, the most blessed of mothers, presenting the Infant to us; a prayer for your grand-daughter.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I have just had one of the best days in years [Yipee] I went swimming in a river which I haven't done since I was a child. It was magic, one of those experiences you store up to recall when difficult times come and, to quote Shaun Tan, Life is a deaf machine. (The Red Tree).

Huia - blissed out

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done. Sad to say I've never got the notion of swimming in NZ, as the water never even approximates tolerable temperatures. Fortunately my local pool is heated.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Years ago we took a friend from Auckland to Palm Beach in mid-July. He swam for almost half an hour and commented it was warmer in the water than it ever was in Auckland.

We watched from the car as we sheltered from the wind.

Miss M has her first dose of chemo on Friday. Depending on the reaction to this, she could be allowed home late on Friday or perhaps Saturday.

She is the third little girl at her school to have developed leukaemia. The others are almost finished treatment.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016