homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There has to be at least one Christian to make the rest of us look bad. And that one will be the one to complain publicly about the lack of churchianity.

Worst funeral I ever attended, for a 16-y.o. boy killed in a stupid traffic accident, had two preachers vying to see which one would do more damage to the church.

But you're right. LP. The parade and the service were a marvel.

Traffic in town was about 1/4 of the usual, what with people lining the route, attending the satellite venues or watching at home or work on live TV.

Many have been extremely touched by the huge outpouring of affection for the Mounties, everything from the pizza-shop owner who gave away a full day's production to the officers on duty during the search through the signs and personal givings-of-thanks to the fact that 850 families* offered billet space (in a few cases, complete houses) for the visiting police here to cover on duty for the city police or to attend the service (I've heard numbers up to 7000)

*It only took one morning to get these offers.

[ 10. June 2014, 22:17: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
Signs are up on my block: 3 NDP, 3 Liberal, and one PC. The trend is not likely province-wide.

So it seems.....I'm not sure even the Libs thought this was possible. Its not quite Bob Rae but its darn close.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was surprised that it was a majority (although I won a bottle of rioja on it) but wanting a minority may have been wishful thinking on my part, as I am one of the small cohort that quite likes minority governments, which are forced to be responsive. I thought that the NDP did very well out of this one, and have improved their long-term fortunes considerably. The Conservatives, for their part, might have to realize that asking the people to make a clear choice sometimes results in their making a clear choice.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps they will also realize that no party can win on its base (a lesson for all parties, of course, at all levels).

The task is always to see how many people you can add to your base, and on the left and the right that means moderating and moving towards the centre.

WHen you position yourself as one of the extremes, you positively invite moderate rightists to move to the centre, and make yourself unattractive to anyone else.

Some of the commentary about Hudak this morning is interesting -- no one seems to be giving the man credit for actually believing his platform was true. They're all talking about tactics and so on. I think Hudak really believed what I would call nonesense, and give him credit for having the courage of his convictions despite the probably impact on electibility.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Horvath showed once again that when the NDP runs a campaign towards the centre only the Liberals benefit.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm as right-wing a Dipper as they come, and I thought Horwath could have run a more visionary campaign. Her platform needed a bigger centrepiece.

OTOH, I'm glad that it's a majority for one reason and one reason only: I get to concentrate on Federal politics exclusively until 2015. The NDP has a single, integrated membership and people work both levels, especially at riding level. It's an awkward fit sometimes and the uncertainty of minority governments hindered federal efforts in Ontario, especially in fundraising. Not any longer. [Smile]

Anyway, off to collect signs....

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has been raining for 10 days, every day. We have standing water in all fields, parks and roads. They said it would stop before the weekend, but we just got another 1½" two hours ago. The sump pump which normally runs every 20 minutes is going every minute for the the last week. This is insane! The eastern slopes of the Rockies into the prairies are wet, wet, wet. Same thing in 2013 and 2012. The weather is mad!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rejoice, O Torontoians!
Sing Alleluia! You poor Trawnian denizens!

Rob Ford is back from rehab. [Projectile]

In other news I leave for the countryside tomorrow. No internet. [Yipee] 5 days of bliss.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Looking forward to my first Canada Day as a resident (was in Canada for 1st July a couple of years ago).

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
... [Yipee] 5 days of bliss.

Bliss indeed!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I posted above about 10 days of rain. We had 2 days or maybe it was 3 with minimal rain but it hasn't stopped. There is standing water in every low spot. The lake at our cabin is up 6 inches. The stream out is over it's banks. The sump is running nonstop. No end in sight. Total predicted in next 24 hours us 5 inches. We are drowning.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Send it over here - our monsoon is stuttering a bit.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I totally feel for you but am enduring day two of five of hot sun. What happend to moderation?

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think it went out of fashion after St Paul.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Power went out. Off now 8 hours. Winds took out poles all over. South Sask River is up over 10 feet. It continues to pour. Cellular coverage still working. Sump stopped due to power. Water with 8 inches of the floor. Made tea on camp stove. Dunno.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Emergency power on now. Thank God.

15 cm of rain has fallen in 15 hours. On top of the 22 we have since Thurs. Running 3 two inch pumps. Nothing to do but keep checking them and to post to forums like this one. Can just keep up when the rain stops.

[ 29. June 2014, 18:49: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a big country! Hot sun here - so hot that there has been almost no traffic either on the road or on foot. Hope your rains stop soon.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... Rob Ford is back from rehab ...

Did it work? [Big Grin]

Glorious sunshine here today, and temperatures forecast to go into the mid-20s. [Eek!]

Thinking about all you Prairie-dwellers though - the pictures on the Weather Channel have been scary!.

[Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Rain is supposed to stop today. TransCanada and Yellow Head highways out in eastern Sask. Probably will get out to help with sandbagging. Maybe Rob Ford could be a raft. He is a big guy.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NP, to divert you while you're holding back the deluge, perhaps you might like to take this quiz? .

According to my results, I am apparently as Canadian as a beaver. I missed on the soft drink, porch climber and jelly doughnut (though for the record, the last was always dubbed a bismarck in our house).

Happy Canada Day!

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Thx. I am also a beaver. Building damns.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and I, who have visited Canada twice in my 65 years, qualify as a Moose! Mind you we do have a Canadian Experience every winter here.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beaver, 24 points. I checked to see how many points this equalled for a Hudson Bay point blanket.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha! Been in Canada for less than 6 months and I'm a beaver. Looking at the answers, I could/should have done better. But feeling pleased.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

That was a very silly quiz.

Happy Canada Day to Canadians from coast to coast to coast and around the world.

So far today, I have celebrated by mopping the floors and by putting a maple leaf scarf on the puppy. Shouldn't be too hard to top that!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a Mighty Moose, which isn't bad for a Brit who's never been further west than Toronto (and that was only the airport).

eta: Happy Canada Day! [Smile]

[ 01. July 2014, 14:08: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

Happy Canada Day!

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

I finally saw some images of the flooding in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Horrible times there right now. The commentator on the CBC Canada Day show from Parliament Hill said that, even as we celebrate, we would all do well to remember the people who were coping with the flooding. I echo his thoughts.

[Votive] for all those who are struggling.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Sunny and windy now. We are on the Sask-Man border. Power went off again for 12 hours, on again now. Pumping pumping pumping. The water is acting like a land tsunami. It will be calm and then a flow comes.

Highways west are intermittently closed. Family is driving west and is taking some interesting and time consuming detours. Expect when they hit Alberta they willbe in the clear.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Canada Day!

Here's a webcomic for the day.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That link wouldn't work for me, basso - sorry.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Drat. It works here. Sorry I don't have another.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Works OK to the UK.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Killing me]

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Worked fine for me. Bookmarked it, too!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Nice and comfortable all day here, what with the wind coming up Fundy to move the heat around. Alma and Albert had fog and 16 degrees C. We were at about 25 most of the day and Moncton and inland was way over 30.

No wonder they have difficulty in forecasting!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Sorry, so very sorry. (Worked for me)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

According to Environment Canada, it got up to 25° here today, but I reckon it was hotter than that. It's always a few degrees hotter downtown than they say anyway, and that's before you factor in the humidity.

27°, feeling like 33, tomorrow ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hot and uncharacteristically humid today; when I tried to cool down by going to the park on my lunch hour, a squad of mosquitoes attacked my legs.

When did I move to Winnipeg? [Razz]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Sorry, so very sorry. (Worked for me)
Today it works okay - weird system!

Sorry about that.

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Hatches all battened down in anticipation of Hurricane Arthur.

Our weather forecast has a big red box with the following:
TROPICAL STORM WARNING IN EFFECT
WIND WARNING IN EFFECT
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT
TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION STATEMENT IN EFFECT

It's going to be a time.

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

And things are not looking any better in Manitoba .

[Votive] For all those facing a deluge, whether overland or from the sky.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Holding all in the danger zones in the Light.

Stay safe, everybody.

[Votive]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for all in Arthur's path, which may include us, although so far here it's just been hot, blustery and sort of pre-tropical-storm-ish.

Sunday's forecast has cooler temperatures ( [Yipee] ) and rain, but not really in the sort of quantities you might expect from a tropical storm.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

And now smoke. We have extremely large amounts of standing water, flooded farm field and all that other water, but now we also have smoke in the air, a constant haze for 3 days. We are at home/swamp from the lake/swamp. NWT forest fires we are told. I'm glad someone enjoys all this: mosquitos are ridiculous many even looking out the front door.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

No Prophet, as I have heard said often enough, you have all of our sympathy and none of our envy.

Still way too hot here but if it is any consolation, the mosquitoes here are great in number and biting like mad too.

It appears we are destined to have two seasons - one too cold and snowy and one too warm and itchy.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

We had serious but not ridiculous amounts of rain from Arthur last Saturday, and the winds didn't seem to be much more than the usual up-Fundy summer strength, but the western side of the province was smacked quite hard. Still no power on Thursday for about 30,000 people, mostly around the provincial capital. The railway line that runs diagonally across the province from Moncton to Edmundston had over 1000 trees on the line, despite the clear strip along each side.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
No Prophet, as I have heard said often enough, you have all of our sympathy and none of our envy.

Sorry. By someone enjoying it, I meant the mosquitos. Did not mean humanfolk. They are a group possessed. A gang. A swarm. A murder of.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm glad someone is enjoying this... I meant mosquitoes...
If you can be charitable to mosquitoes, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din!

itchitchitchSCRATCHitchitchitchSCRATCHSCRATCHouch

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:

Sorry. By someone enjoying it, I meant the mosquitos. Did not mean humanfolk. They are a group possessed. A gang. A swarm. A murder of.
Indeed. I understood you. Here's to fair weather and gentle breezes and power.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016